Vikings put franchise tag on Harris!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings put franchise tag on Harris!!

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 am Yes Greenway did say that and it could be true. It could also be complete BS. In the end Diggs is the only one who truly knows why he hated his QB so much he wanted out of MN.
It's awfully presumptuous to assume he hated Cousins, unless you are seeing something that I'm not. I haven't read that anywhere. I have read that he has been trying to get out for a couple years, so MAYBE it's related to Cousins, but it's not like he didn't give him his 2 best years statistically.

It wouldn't be the first time that a diva WR wanted out because he wasn't being catered to enough. Whether that is Cousins or coaching, both or neither, we may never know.
Damian
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Punkoholic wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:57 am Apparently offering him in a trade for a mid round pick.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.co ... a74&sr=amp
I'd take a 2 for him. Nothing less. He is an elite safety.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:12 am

I guess Thielen must’ve been a walk on that snuck on the team without spielman knowing
Theilen is a UDFA who was originally brought in primarily because he is one of us. You are right though, he has a great track record of finding talent at Mankato State. Best in the NFL.
I’ve already had this argument with you and can tell you that you are 100% wrong. One of our scouts was impressed with him at a regional combine in Chicago. It had nothing to do with him being from Minnesota. If that was the case, why wouldn’t we just pick up a bunch of undrafted that went to college in the state of Minnesota? The panthers saw Thielen at the same combine and had an offer into him. He chose Minnesota. And spielman could’ve easily cut him and didn’t. But you’re right, I guess somehow Thielen was only kept because he’s from Minnesota :roll:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 am Show me where I said that. Weak #### argument dude. Try to be better.
You hate cousins bottom line and don’t want him on this team. You aren’t fooling anyone. I never said that you said that but I’m hinting towards the fact that you don’t want him on this team.

[/quote]
Yes Greenway did say that and it could be true. It could also be complete BS. In the end Diggs is the only one who truly knows why he hated his QB so much he wanted out of MN.
[/quote]

Yeah because chad greenway of all people would just throw that out there without any validity behind it? And you keep saying “he hated his QB”. Is that a fact? Can you prove that? No that’s just what you wanna think because you yourself hate cousins. He was going to be diggs QB regardless this year. And diggs wasn’t always “the guy”. I find it funny that diggs is dead silent today. Maybe the dumb as# realized what he should’ve known all along....be careful what you wish for. Now he has a QB that can’t throw a pass on someone’s numbers to save his life. No less New England was after him, Washington (where he is from) and buffalo. And they sent him to the last place of those 3 he wanted to go. Talk about shoving it up his as#. I think it was a smart trade and continues to remind me of the Harvin deal
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:35 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 am Show me where I said that. Weak #### argument dude. Try to be better.
You hate cousins bottom line and don’t want him on this team. You aren’t fooling anyone. I never said that you said that but I’m hinting towards the fact that you don’t want him on this team.
Yes Greenway did say that and it could be true. It could also be complete BS. In the end Diggs is the only one who truly knows why he hated his QB so much he wanted out of MN.
[/quote]

Yeah because chad greenway of all people would just throw that out there without any validity behind it? And you keep saying “he hated his QB”. Is that a fact? Can you prove that? No that’s just what you wanna think because you yourself hate cousins. He was going to be diggs QB regardless this year. And diggs wasn’t always “the guy”. I find it funny that diggs is dead silent today. Maybe the dumb as# realized what he should’ve known all along....be careful what you wish for. Now he has a QB that can’t throw a pass on someone’s numbers to save his life. No less New England was after him, Washington (where he is from) and buffalo. And they sent him to the last place of those 3 he wanted to go. Talk about shoving it up his as#. I think it was a smart trade and continues to remind me of the Harvin deal
[/quote]
Harvin at his best was an MVP candidate. That was a brief shining moment when he was healthy and being used extensively. Diggs was never at that level. However, we almost certainly took a step backward for this season with this trade, but long term it should prove to be a good move.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think Diggs realized he wasn't a free agent. He didn't get to go where he wanted to go.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 pm Harvin at his best was an MVP candidate. That was a brief shining moment when he was healthy and being used extensively. Diggs was never at that level. However, we almost certainly took a step backward for this season with this trade, but long term it should prove to be a good move.
Eh I can see where you’re coming from taking a step backwards but at the same time, we’re rolling into the draft with a boat load of picks, 5 in the top 3 rounds plus plenty more to come in free agency. Given that we are 6-1 without diggs since 2016, it shows we clearly can win without him. On the surface it looks like a massive blow but given what we have in draft capital and the amount of talent still on this team, I think we are still a playoff team
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I hate Cousins? Where have I ever said that?
And you keep saying “he hated his QB”. Is that a fact? Can you prove that? No that’s just what you wanna think because you yourself hate cousins.
The irony of this is awesome. This is the reason I keep coming here, posts just like this one. :lol:

It is not okay to assume Diggs hates Cousins based on his actions, but it is okay for you to assume I hate him because I don't like paying a QB who has no shot at winning the SB a contract that keeps us from ever looking at a replacement in the draft. Perfect.

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:35 pm Talk about shoving it up his as#. I think it was a smart trade and continues to remind me of the Harvin deal
We become desperate for a WR for years and Diggs goes on to win a SB with the Bills? Sounds wonderful.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:01 pm
I don't think Diggs realized he wasn't a free agent. He didn't get to go where he wanted to go.
Exactly. And like I said earlier, he’s literally been silent today on social media which is very unlike him. I can bet every dollar I have that he is not very thrilled to be going there.

Fun stat- Josh Allen completes 15 of 59 deep passes in 2019, it was the worst percentage of any QB in the nfl. I’m sure diggs and his agent were well aware of the 3 teams after him (NE, WAS and Buffalo). The Brady talk didn’t heat up until today so I’m sure that was one place he was very interested in. Washington simply because he’s from there (but also a dumb idea because they are pathetic) and then Buffalo.

He has nothing in Buffalo. No less they are just as much of a run heavy team as we are. Something else that ticked Diggs off this year. Buffalo only had 11 less rushing attempts than we did.

To add onto that, doesn’t anyone find it funny that diggs didn’t complain once in 2018, especially about cousins? Because he had 102 catches and 9 TDs that year because all we did was pass. Yet we drastically underachieved and missed the playoffs. But this year, cousins plays much better, we change to a run first offense, we make the playoffs and beat an nfc favorite on the road.....and who’s complaining? Diggs.

Why? There are multiple reasons:

1.) we are a run first team and centered around dalvin cook which means much less targets for diggs. Cousins had nearly 200 LESS passes in 2019 than he did in 2018. Guys can blame cousins all they want, but when you’re throwing the ball 200 less times than the year prior, for diggs to repeat or even come close to 102 catches was simply not realistic but of course he didn’t get that and complained early on this year.

2.) for a while now, Thielen has always gotten more of the recognition. He’s made pro bowls where diggs hasn’t. He’s had quite a few more big games than diggs has when both are on the field.

3.) there are 2 players (cook and Thielen) that are praised more than diggs is. Like greenway said, he wants to be the center of attention and be the guy. He wasn’t getting that. And for those that think it was the QB, it makes zero sense given diggs best two years of his career were the 2 years with cousins.

4.) simply being selfish. Diggs has shown that he’s all about himself. For you to complain when we’re doing well, but not complain when we’re underachieving in 2018 says it all. Diggs is content with catching 102 balls but going 4-12. Diggs isn’t content with going 10-6 and making a run in the playoffs. Especially given the fact that it wasn’t him getting the praise in that saints game (2 catches for 19 yards).

You could see his frustrations, cry baby antics and lack of focus this year. I mean how many balls did he drop this year? An obscene amount. One causing an INT in the Philly game. Then the throwing of the helmet vs GB. Then faking the helmet throw vs Philly just to be an as#hole because I’m sure fans got on him initially for doing it. The tantrums on the sidelines. And best of all, throwing a tantrum against the saints because he wasn’t getting the ball. A game where we were just fine without him.

In the end, he needed to go. He got his wish and you’ll never see him repeat what he had the last 2 years unless he goes to a loaded pass heavy team down the road. But it won’t happen in Buffalo. Again, should’ve been careful what you wished for diggs.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Diggs went to a team that ran the ball 11 times fewer than the Vikings. The Bills also boast a young passer who is not nearly as accurate as Cousins. The odds are good that his production goes down not up by going to Buffalo. Time will tell, but I wonder how happy he really is that all his antics sent him to the Bills.

With respect to Harris. I think this is a wise move. Vikings had to know Harris would likely go quickly in FA. By Franchising him they pay him top dollar this year but have no consequences past 2020. Plus, it probably puts them in a better place to get him a contract next offseason than they had this year with almost no money. If Harris' play falls off that deal could be more favorable as well.

Very curious to see what happens at CB
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:52 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 pm Harvin at his best was an MVP candidate. That was a brief shining moment when he was healthy and being used extensively. Diggs was never at that level. However, we almost certainly took a step backward for this season with this trade, but long term it should prove to be a good move.
Eh I can see where you’re coming from taking a step backwards but at the same time, we’re rolling into the draft with a boat load of picks, 5 in the top 3 rounds plus plenty more to come in free agency. Given that we are 6-1 without diggs since 2016, it shows we clearly can win without him. On the surface it looks like a massive blow but given what we have in draft capital and the amount of talent still on this team, I think we are still a playoff team
We certainly need to see how it all plays out. The Cowboys created a dynasty with similar draft assets to what we have.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 pm
I hate Cousins? Where have I ever said that? [/quote]

Oh please. I can bet money many people on hear believe the same. You don’t have to say it trust me.

The irony of this is awesome. This is the reason I keep coming here, posts just like this one. :lol:

It is not okay to assume Diggs hates Cousins based on his actions, but it is okay for you to assume I hate him because I don't like paying a QB who has no shot at winning the SB a contract that keeps us from ever looking at a replacement in the draft. Perfect.
Listen you’re acting like this cousins complaining just started today. You’ve been doing this since the second we signed him. You complain every week, every game, every offseason. You throw your stats out about how he sucks and can’t do this or that. You aren’t fooling anyone dude. Quit trying so hard.

And you have zero proof that it was cousins for the reason diggs wants out. If anything there is more proof that it was because of not being the guy if anything. The only one saying it was because of cousins are the haters and the media. And none of them have any proof that was the reason

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:35 pm Talk about shoving it up his as#. I think it was a smart trade and continues to remind me of the Harvin deal
We become desperate for a WR for years and Diggs goes on to win a SB with the Bills? Sounds wonderful.
[/quote]

Clearly you have no idea the history behind the bills. Again, I’m surrounded by their fans. They are content with just getting to the playoffs let alone winning a playoff game. They are a dumpster fire of a franchise. Haven’t found a legitimate starting QB since Jim Kelly who retired over 20 years ago. Diggs has a better shot winning a super bowl in Cleveland than he does buffalo.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:53 am
S197 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:45 am
To me it depends on the position. I trust him with drafting DE, LB and S. OL and WR? Eh, not so much. ONeill is okay but they botched that draft, by his own admission he misread the run on guard. Bradbury deserves another season but leaves much to desire. Elflein is looking like a miss. Diggs was more of an outlier, he’s missed his share of high WR picks. Harvin had a great rookie season but outside of that he’s missed.

I was one of the biggest supporters of Spielman on this forum but it’s getting tougher to ignore his flaws because he really hasn’t learned anything in 10 years. We’ve never had a decent OL. He never drafts a contingency QB despite loading up on picks. As good as he is at certain things, he has major blind spots.
It’s easy to sit there and look at the bad. But you also have to be mindful of the roster he’s built recently.

And I’m sorry but O’Neill is way better than just “okay”. He’s allowed 1 sack in two years. Which I believe was in the SF playoff game this season. I’m not sure how that warrants okay?

And Harvin was a legitimate stud. Harvin was Harvins own problem. He ended up being a head case. If spielman can find guys like diggs and Thielen, he can find a good WR and this is the class you want to do it. Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Higgins, Jefferson, Shenault and Reagor could all be first round picks. And I don’t think there is one I wouldn’t want. Aiyuk could even go in the first as well.
In 10 years he's been unable to field even an average OL. He's also handled the QB position very poorly, refusing to use his stockpile of picks on any sort of contingency only drafting when absolutely necessary. Let's not pretend you need a 1st round pick to find a QB, we just gave a 4th round pick back to back mega contracts. And he was a contingency pick for RG3. That's good drafting by Washington and Rick has NEVER done it. Not talking about this year or last. His entire time with the Vikings.

You've done a mock every year right? How many times have you picked a QB? How many times has Rick? It's ridiculous that a guy who prides himself on trading back for 10 picks every year uses absolutely none on the most important position on the field.

O'Neill I believe has good stats because everyone else around him is so bad. It's more or less a race to sack the QB. All he has to do is hold on 1 second longer than our horrible interior and he doesn't get hit for giving up a sack. It's a low bar. He may be above average but I think it remains to be seen.

Diggs I will give to Rick. Thielen if we're honest was more luck than anything. He's still done poorly overall at the position not to mention his FA pickups like Bernard Berrian, Jerome Simpson, Jennings etc.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

S197 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:14 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:53 am

It’s easy to sit there and look at the bad. But you also have to be mindful of the roster he’s built recently.

And I’m sorry but O’Neill is way better than just “okay”. He’s allowed 1 sack in two years. Which I believe was in the SF playoff game this season. I’m not sure how that warrants okay?

And Harvin was a legitimate stud. Harvin was Harvins own problem. He ended up being a head case. If spielman can find guys like diggs and Thielen, he can find a good WR and this is the class you want to do it. Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Higgins, Jefferson, Shenault and Reagor could all be first round picks. And I don’t think there is one I wouldn’t want. Aiyuk could even go in the first as well.
In 10 years he's been unable to field even an average OL. He's also handled the QB position very poorly, refusing to use his stockpile of picks on any sort of contingency only drafting when absolutely necessary. Let's not pretend you need a 1st round pick to find a QB, we just gave a 4th round pick back to back mega contracts. And he was a contingency pick for RG3. That's good drafting by Washington and Rick has NEVER done it. Not talking about this year or last. His entire time with the Vikings.

You've done a mock every year right? How many times have you picked a QB? How many times has Rick? It's ridiculous that a guy who prides himself on trading back for 10 picks every year uses absolutely none on the most important position on the field.

O'Neill I believe has good stats because everyone else around him is so bad. It's more or less a race to sack the QB. All he has to do is hold on 1 second longer than our horrible interior and he doesn't get hit for giving up a sack. It's a low bar. He may be above average but I think it remains to be seen.

Diggs I will give to Rick. Thielen if we're honest was more luck than anything. He's still done poorly overall at the position not to mention his FA pickups like Bernard Berrian, Jerome Simpson, Jennings etc.
He drafted Teddy Bridgewater, dude, the guy who's about to get a massive contract but we let go because of his injury concerns. That's what I'd call a damn good draft pick by Speilman.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:36 pm
S197 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:14 pm

He drafted Teddy Bridgewater, dude, the guy who's about to get a massive contract but we let go because of his injury concerns. That's what I'd call a damn good draft pick by Speilman.
Bridgewater and Ponder were both need picks. The Vikings had no other options. Those are not contingency picks. Tell me who he's drafted as a QB to groom. I challenge you to name a single player.