2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: My focus would have been on getting the best talent available. I am fine with the the Reiff signing to be honest. Remmers, I would have passed on in exchange for TJ Lang. RT could then be addressed in the Draft or in cast off from FA. I am more confident in the organization finding a good RT than a good guard. Remmers is a liability.
Why do you have more confidence in them finding a tackle than an OG?? Guards are way easier to find from round 2 and on compared to tackles. No less the guard depth in this draft is much better than the tackle depth. Plus many guys that are tackles in the draft will kick inside to guard when they get to the NFL anyways.

As for Remmers, He cost us $3 million per year less than Lang did and Lang almost got his entire salary guaranteed. Remmers is also on a year to year basis contract. Lang is not and was coming off an injury
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Vikings_49
Waterboy

Post by Vikings_49 »

It seems like a lot of the uncertainty around here is stemming from the fact that we don't have a 1st round pick this year. Since we have that one less big weapon to use in the draft we should be more aggressive in FA. I don't think that is the proper approach given what was/is available.

That being said, Jeremy Zuttah was released by the Ravens, would he be a fit? And what would the pricetag be? I believe he was a pro bowler last year.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Why do you have more confidence in them finding a tackle than an OG?? Guards are way easier to find from round 2 and on compared to tackles. No less the guard depth in this draft is much better than the tackle depth. Plus many guys that are tackles in the draft will kick inside to guard when they get to the NFL anyways.

As for Remmers, He cost us $3 million per year less than Lang did and Lang almost got his entire salary guaranteed. Remmers is also on a year to year basis contract. Lang is not and was coming off an injury
This organization has been successful in finding Tackles but not Guards and has a serious issues judging talent. Boone (average) and Fusco (horrible) are two examples. I was against the Fusco extension from the jump as I never felt he played all that well. I would trust them to find a tackle before I trust them to find and develop a guard.

Additionally, this draft is short on LT but it has a great amount of talented RTs. A lot of them will be shoehorned into LTs and miss (NYG's Flowers is a prime example) but they would make solid RTs.

As for the difference between Lang and Remmers, the $3million difference is much smaller than the difference in play. Watch Remmers get victimized again and again this season. He needs a TE on his side constantly.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5QI7zZHff8

A fair highlight tape of his talent.
Notice, a lot of additional help his way to help with Miller.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: This organization has been successful in finding Tackles but not Guards and has a serious issues judging talent. Boone (average) and Fusco (horrible) are two examples. I was against the Fusco extension from the jump as I never felt he played all that well. I would trust them to find a tackle before I trust them to find and develop a guard.

Additionally, this draft is short on LT but it has a great amount of talented RTs. A lot of them will be shoehorned into LTs and miss (NYG's Flowers is a prime example) but they would make solid RTs.

As for the difference between Lang and Remmers, the $3million difference is much smaller than the difference in play. Watch Remmers get victimized again and again this season. He needs a TE on his side constantly.
Successful at finding tackles?? Did you not see our tackle situation last year?? Recently we've had Kalil, Smith, Clemmings and Sirles. None of them are good. Boone is better than average and if you remember, Fusco was good before his injury. Also, Harris was a good guard. Oh and Joe Berger can play guard at a high level. So I'm not sure where this whole we find tackles better than guards thing is coming from but it doesnt add up.

Also, no there are not a "great amount of talented RTs" in this draft. Don't forget we have no first round pick. So guys like Ramcyzk, Bolles and Robinson will all be off the board. That leaves very little. It's not a weak LT draft, its a weak tackle draft in general. This is why I believe it was a good move signing Reiff and Remmers.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5QI7zZHff8

A fair highlight tape of his talent.
Notice, a lot of additional help his way to help with Miller.
Dude it's Von Miller. Any coach with a brain should put help on that side. I don't care who the tackle is
-Chazz Palminteri
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

I'd be in favor of signing Jeremy Zuttah but the one caveat is that he's pretty old, but so is Joe Berger.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Looks like Thielen is re-signed. Good news! Will be interesting to see exactly what the final numbers end up being.

http://www.startribune.com/source-adam- ... 416260594/

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place mods. I tried deleting but I'm not sure how? Haven't been super active posting.....
Last edited by MikethePurple on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

Thielen signed a 3 year deal with 11M guaranteed. Thats not too much money if he continues to be a number two wideout. Im a little worried we may be overvaluing him based on that Green Bay game. But hes a hard worker and has improved constantly since coming into the league. Those are the types of guys we want on our team.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
FrenchVikes
Waterboy

Post by FrenchVikes »

Newman and Thielen are both good sign, this a good news ! Newman showed that even at his age, he's still a solid back up CB and for sure a great tackler.
And for Thielen, he has the potential to be a solid number 2, i'm really curious to see Treadwell next year too i mean his real potential.

Anybody got some news about Murray ?
He visited the team, but since i saw nothing about it
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

beerfan wrote:Thielen signed a 3 year deal with 11M guaranteed. Thats not too much money if he continues to be a number two wideout. Im a little worried we may be overvaluing him based on that Green Bay game. But hes a hard worker and has improved constantly since coming into the league. Those are the types of guys we want on our team.
Good news about Thielen. Glad to see the Vikings appreciate what he brings to the game.

I think last season was sort of a statement year for him.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Dude it's Von Miller. Any coach with a brain should put help on that side. I don't care who the tackle is
Miller doesn't need a RG + RB/TE chipping to help out a RT unless they are simply piss poor. Miller is a beast but he is not The Hulk reborn.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

720pete wrote:I'd be in favor of signing Jeremy Zuttah but the one caveat is that he's pretty old, but so is Joe Berger.
2 year plan! I'm in favor of him or Mangold. Then draft 2-3 OL prospects this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Miller doesn't need a RG + RB/TE chipping to help out a RT unless they are simply piss poor. Miller is a beast but he is not The Hulk reborn.
Dude I'm not sure what you're trying to prove but you aren't really getting anywhere with it based on this "highlight tape". It was ONE play where it showed only the FB chipping Miller. That literally means nothing. What you're saying and what we're seeing in his tape, doesn't add up. You're basing your assumption vs Miller off one play. So what the TE was there. He ran a route and didn't touch Miller and the RG didn't touch him until there was nobody left in his zone
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Also, no there are not a "great amount of talented RTs" in this draft. Don't forget we have no first round pick. So guys like Ramcyzk, Bolles and Robinson will all be off the board. That leaves very little. It's not a weak LT draft, its a weak tackle draft in general. This is why I believe it was a good move signing Reiff and Remmers.
Our tackle situation was no worst than our Guard situation.
Boone was brought in as a FA and paid very well. He is average at best. He has a big mouth but is adequate. Mike Harris is a Tackle who despite being a tackle is better than anything we have at guard. Fusco was never a favorite of mine and his contract was a rush to judgement. Should have been cut before then. Our best guards have been guys playing out of position (Berger and Harris). Again, I trust them drafting tackles more than I do guards. We're terrible at it.

Also it isn't a weak tackle draft. Plenty of guys that will be great as a RT. The problem as I explained... the LT draft is so bad, guys that would normally be RT are being forced fed into the LT role.