Vikings vs. Titans

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings vs. Titans

Post by Mothman »

There's a game in less than a week and it counts!

Share your thoughts about the season opener below.

Oddsmakers now have the spread down to the Vikings -1 (ie: the Vikes are favored by 1).

Zimmer says both Hill and Bradford will get first-team reps in practice this week.

ESPN's Paul Kuharsky, who covers the Titans, quoted the following says Mike Mularkey (a former Viking, by the way) expects Sam Bradford to start Sunday for Vikings.. Mularkey said: "We've got enough film on him".

:govikes:
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs. Titans

Post by vikeinmontana »

Mothman wrote:There's a game in less than a week and it counts!

Share your thoughts about the season opener below.

Oddsmakers now have the spread down to the Vikings -1 (ie: the Vikes are favored by 1).

Zimmer says both Hill and Bradford will get first-team reps in practice this week.

ESPN's Paul Kuharsky, who covers the Titans, quoted the following says Mike Mularkey (a former Viking, by the way) expects Sam Bradford to start Sunday for Vikings.. Mularkey said: "We've got enough film on him".

:govikes:
Man I can't wait! It's funny but I expect Bradford to start too. Here's to a great season! :beerock:
i'm ready for a beer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

vikeinmontana wrote:Man I can't wait! It's funny but I expect Bradford to start too. Here's to a great season! :beerock:
I'll second that! :smilevike:

I can't wait either. I have football fever. I seem to come down with it every September.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Mothman wrote: I'll second that! :smilevike:

I can't wait either. I have football fever. I seem to come down with it every September.
when do we have to announce a starter? I really am curious. part of me thinks it's crazy to start a guy a week after we sign him. Another part of me thinks it's crazier to give up what we did for Bradford, and have him holding the clipboard watching shaun hill!

I think we have more to gain throwing sam in there sunday than we have to lose with the makeup of this team.
i'm ready for a beer.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't think you are required to announce a starter. The only thing that you are required to announce are injuries. The only thing that worries me about this game is our run defense vs their 2 backs. I think derrick henry is a stud and will be a special back. If we can shut down their running game I think we win, not a blowout but comfortably.

I also have a feeling SB is gonna start.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I don't think you are required to announce a starter. The only thing that you are required to announce are injuries. The only thing that worries me about this game is our run defense vs their 2 backs. I think derrick henry is a stud and will be a special back. If we can shut down their running game I think we win, not a blowout but comfortably.

I also have a feeling SB is gonna start.
Yes, the main thing that worries me about this upcoming game is the run defense (outside of the questions on offense due to Bradford just getting here). Henry has looked good in the preseason and Murray also should be better than last year.

A huge question mark of the timing of the trade is really going to be how soon Bradford is up to speed in the offense? What option is better, starting an under prepared Bradford or a prepared Hill? Hopefully they don't dig too big of a hole at the beginning of the season while we wait for the offense to potentially click. Especially considering that the Packers and the Panthers are coming up in the next couple weeks.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

An early look at the game from Vikings.com. there are also clips from today's press conferences with Zimmer and Bradford at the link, and additional video as well:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/E ... 35173453=1

In addition to run defense, which has been discussed above, another key to this game could be blitz pickup. The Titans defense is coached by Dick LeBeau and whether the Vikes start the relatively immobile Hill or the new-to-the-team Bradford, I'm betting LeBeau will throw some unpredictable blitzes at them.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I read an article today that when Norv was the OC with Dallas in '93, the Cowboys lost Troy Aikman right before the season started. They picked up Bernie Kosar from the Browns and had like a week to get him ready. Norv basically taught Kosar 37 plays, put them on his wristband, and sent the plays in by number. According to the article, Bernie played his butt off.

The point being -- as unusual as this situation is, Norv Turner actually has experience with it.

I would not be shocked if Bradford plays against the Titans. And I would only be mildly surprised if he played well.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I read an article today that when Norv was the OC with Dallas in '93, the Cowboys lost Troy Aikman right before the season started. They picked up Bernie Kosar from the Browns and had like a week to get him ready. Norv basically taught Kosar 37 plays, put them on his wristband, and sent the plays in by number. According to the article, Bernie played his butt off.

The point being -- as unusual as this situation is, Norv Turner actually has experience with it.

I would not be shocked if Bradford plays against the Titans. And I would only be mildly surprised if he played well.
This is a game they need to win. I hope Bradford can play because I think he gives them a much better chance than Hill. Either way Peterson will be given a heavy workload I'm sure.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maelstrom88 wrote: This is a game they need to win. I hope Bradford can play because I think he gives them a much better chance than Hill. Either way Peterson will be given a heavy workload I'm sure.
I don't have any doubt that Hill could win the game, but I would feel better with Bradford, as I trust Zimmer far more than Frasier when it comes to handling QBs. That Josh Freeman ordeal was still very surreal.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

who can hand off better to AD? because that's mostly what our QB will be doing this Sunday :smilevike:

Personally I think its a bad idea to start Bradford so soon. It's not just learning some plays, it's also knowing the WRs, timing etc.

I think they start Hill and eke out a 13-9 win
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

ESPN's Titans reporter Paul Kuharskey predicts:
Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 9 vs. Minnesota Vikings, 1 p.m. ET

The Vikings were a playoff team in 2015, but Minnesota was hardly a great run defense team and the Titans show off their ground gains. For the record, I was not on the Minnesota bandwagon even when Teddy Bridgewater was healthy, and have thought the Titans would win this once since back in April. Record: 1-0.
Meanwhile, ESPN Vikings reporter Ben Goessling says:
Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 11, at Tennessee Titans, 1 p.m. ET

The Vikings' opener in Nashville, Tennessee, shouldn't be seen as a cakewalk, considering the Titans should be improved from a 3-13 record a year ago. But if the Vikings can get a lead, their defense can take advantage of an offensive line that allowed the 11th-most pressures in the league last season, and Peterson could have a solid day against the NFL's 18th-ranked rushing defense from a year ago. Record: 1-0.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

VikingPaul73 wrote:who can hand off better to AD? because that's mostly what our QB will be doing this Sunday :smilevike:

Personally I think its a bad idea to start Bradford so soon. It's not just learning some plays, it's also knowing the WRs, timing etc.

I think they start Hill and eke out a 13-9 win
I think I initially believed that Hill would probably start (and still do for the most part) but then I started to think of the Vikings short term goal(s). They are trying to be in a situation where they do not come out an "lay an egg" in the first regular season game in the new stadium against a division rival. The question is, do they think Bradford plays better after some game time in the Tennessee game, or would he play better in not "rushing him in" the first game of the season. My take is that it's 50/50 he starts in Tennessee, but Bradford will be starting against Green Bay, regardless (IMHO).
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Keys to victory for this week:

- Everyone stays relatively healthy. Injuries happen every single day (most of them just are not reported). We need Kalil, Rhodes, Floyd, and Newman ready to go.

- Adrian Peterson exploits Tennessee between the tackles. Jurrell Casey (the best defensive lineman you may not have heard of), Derrick Morgan, and Brian Orakpo have too much ability and speed to be tested outside with counters, sweeps, stretches, and pitches.

- The offensive line is solid in pass protection - especially on play action. Shaun Hill is going to need a a clean pocket to be effective - just the way it is. Brian Orkapo vs. Kalil will be the BIGGEST match-up of the day.

- Receivers must consistently win their routes. This secondary (sans Jason McCourty) is unproven. Diggs needs to show he can beat press consistently. Same with Charles.

- Kyle Rudolph needs to show up and start playing like a 25 million dollar TE. Tennessee doesn't have the best personal to match up with a big TE like Kyle - he could have a big game.

- Sharrif Floyd and Linval Joseph need to dominate inside. Tennessee is weak on their interior line, making it all more that important both Linval and Sharrif play gap-control defense. Even more important is the fact that Murray and Henry are tough, inside runners. These two MUST have big games if we want to win.

- The QB spy has a tremendous responsibility in this game. One mess up and Marcus Mariota is off to the races. I expect to see a lot more zone-blitzing than man-blitzing this game - just in case the defense over-pursuits at the LOS.

- Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks must account for Delaine Walker. Sedejo's lack of coverage ability scares the hell out of me versus a guy like Walker.

- Rhodes must respect Tajae Sharpe. He may just be a rookie, but he is the starting flanker. Rhodes and him are similar size, so I don't expect Rhodes to get out-played for the ball.

- Newman/Waynes need to win consistently against Kendall Wright/Rishard Matthews.

- Attack Mariota if they run the option. Don't worry about the threat of DeMarco Murray/Derrick Henry toting the rock if they run the option.

- Special teams need to be on point. Marc Mariani may not be as scary as he once was, but he is still a threat in the return game.

- For the love of God, please kick well outside Blair Walsh.

- For the love of God, please just don't suck anymore Jeff Locke.

Lot's of keys in this one. We are on the road and its week one. It has all the makings of a typical Vikings let-down in the past. Then again, this team 'seems' to have a different mentality than previous teams.

I am saying we see a the purple prevail: 21 - 10
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Keys to victory for this week:

- Everyone stays relatively healthy. Injuries happen every single day (most of them just are not reported). We need Kalil, Rhodes, Floyd, and Newman ready to go.

- Adrian Peterson exploits Tennessee between the tackles. Jurrell Casey (the best defensive lineman you may not have heard of), Derrick Morgan, and Brian Orakpo have too much ability and speed to be tested outside with counters, sweeps, stretches, and pitches.

- The offensive line is solid in pass protection - especially on play action. Shaun Hill is going to need a a clean pocket to be effective - just the way it is. Brian Orkapo vs. Kalil will be the BIGGEST match-up of the day.

- Receivers must consistently win their routes. This secondary (sans Jason McCourty) is unproven. Diggs needs to show he can beat press consistently. Same with Charles.

- Kyle Rudolph needs to show up and start playing like a 25 million dollar TE. Tennessee doesn't have the best personal to match up with a big TE like Kyle - he could have a big game.

- Sharrif Floyd and Linval Joseph need to dominate inside. Tennessee is weak on their interior line, making it all more that important both Linval and Sharrif play gap-control defense. Even more important is the fact that Murray and Henry are tough, inside runners. These two MUST have big games if we want to win.

- The QB spy has a tremendous responsibility in this game. One mess up and Marcus Mariota is off to the races. I expect to see a lot more zone-blitzing than man-blitzing this game - just in case the defense over-pursuits at the LOS.

- Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks must account for Delaine Walker. Sedejo's lack of coverage ability scares the hell out of me versus a guy like Walker.

- Rhodes must respect Tajae Sharpe. He may just be a rookie, but he is the starting flanker. Rhodes and him are similar size, so I don't expect Rhodes to get out-played for the ball.

- Newman/Waynes need to win consistently against Kendall Wright/Rishard Matthews.

- Attack Mariota if they run the option. Don't worry about the threat of DeMarco Murray/Derrick Henry toting the rock if they run the option.

- Special teams need to be on point. Marc Mariani may not be as scary as he once was, but he is still a threat in the return game.

- For the love of God, please kick well outside Blair Walsh.

- For the love of God, please just don't suck anymore Jeff Locke.

Lot's of keys in this one. We are on the road and its week one. It has all the makings of a typical Vikings let-down in the past. Then again, this team 'seems' to have a different mentality than previous teams.

I am saying we see a the purple prevail: 21 - 10
You hit a point that is spot,on. This team is not like Vikings past. Zimmer has given them a new mentality. They are no longer automatic on the road losers to weaker teams. We saw that last year. We got killed by SF last year on the road, but Zim fixed that. I don't think we'll see a repeat.

I think it'll be close, but we'll pull out a victory.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk