Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: We have to remember that next year, there is a good chance Newman and Munnerlyn could be gone which leaves us Rhodes, Waynes and who knows. So this is a great pick for the future and there is a good chance we won't have to worry about CB for a long long time
It's also a position that takes a bit of seasoning. Waynes didn't see much playing time his rookie year, despite being a much higher pick than Alexander, so I agree that it is a pick that shows foresight and at a position that Zimmer believes is very important.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Zimmer's track record with defensive backs is stellar, but in the short-term, this pick is a bit of a puzzler. Thumbs down. -- Ben Goessling

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... raft-picks
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

:v):[/quote]

ESPN listed him as 5' 10" on their broadcast and that's the height listed on both of the profiles I posted.

Look, if he can play, he can play but it's a curious choice for a coach who has made it clear he prefers taller corners.[/quote]

I'm just saying it's not like he's 5'7. I'm excited to see what he can do with Zimmer.[/quote]

Josh Robinson wasn't 5'7 either, but he was the corner Zim was complaining about in that quote.

That said, I'm excited to see what they will do with him. And Captain and Newman are both in the final year of their deals[/quote]

Hey, just remember Antoine Winfield was only 5'9 .....
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

mosscarter wrote:totally idiotic pick. i love zimmer, but a times i wonder if he actually realizes you need an offense as well as a defense. we could have at least went with a safety with this pick if he was so hard set on going defensive. it seems like he had to be conned into taking a receiver in the first round. one rookie receiver isn't going to change a downright horrible and pathetic offense in one season.
Haha well that's just like your opinion... man.

Alexander is considered by a lot of "experts" as a first round talent. He is a great value at where we picked, and you can never have enough defensive backs. And how have we not improved our offense by adding Boone, Smith, and Megaquon. Re signing asiata and Zach line and Rhett Ellison ?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Alexander is considered by a lot of "experts" as a first round talent.

One of my favorite aspects of the draft is that every year, there seem to be at least 50 or more 'first round talents". :tongue:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

One of my favorite aspects of the draft is that every year, there seem to be at least 50 or more 'first round talents". :tongue:

That's because there are so many "experts" and their opinions vary greatly! :D
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

mosscarter wrote:totally idiotic pick. i love zimmer, but a times i wonder if he actually realizes you need an offense as well as a defense. we could have at least went with a safety with this pick if he was so hard set on going defensive. it seems like he had to be conned into taking a receiver in the first round. one rookie receiver isn't going to change a downright horrible and pathetic offense in one season.
This draft was loaded with defensive talent. It was one of the best in recent memory for defensive depth. Sure, our D is better than our O now, but the best way to build a roster for 3, 4 years down the road is to take the best player, even if they aren't filling the biggest need. Your needs today probably won't match up with your needs tomorrow.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

I think this pick makes people nervous because of what it says about Trae Waynes. Sure, teams need 3 CBs these days, but if we really felt we had 2 solid starters already on the roster, I don't think we would have gone CB this early. Hopefully Waynes develops and we have 3 solid CBs, but this move worries me that much more with regards to Waynes.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

BAH...a short CB! In a league dominated by really tall recievers. ANd he went 2 seasons with NO INTs against college QBs....not promising.

OL would have been better.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

kurtkeoki wrote:I think this pick makes people nervous because of what it says about Trae Waynes. Sure, teams need 3 CBs these days, but if we really felt we had 2 solid starters already on the roster, I don't think we would have gone CB this early. Hopefully Waynes develops and we have 3 solid CBs, but this move worries me that much more with regards to Waynes.
We'll see but two things give me hope:

1) Our DBs coach was overheard gushing about Waynes at the combine to some other coach. Apparently he thinks VERY highly of Waynes.

2) Waynes really seemed to improve as the season went on.

This coming from a guy that wanted other CBs in that draft.

Also, I think Rick is eyeing the future. We'd be in rough shape if both Newman AND Captain were gone in 2017.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

overwhelmingly positive grades from the "experts"

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/29/ ... r-reaction
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Haha well that's just like your opinion... man.

Alexander is considered by a lot of "experts" as a first round talent. He is a great value at where we picked, and you can never have enough defensive backs. And how have we not improved our offense by adding Boone, Smith, and Megaquon. Re signing asiata and Zach line and Rhett Ellison ?
The dude abides!!!!!!!!!!!
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Post by sneaxsneax »

I don't see how getting a really good player, probably the best player on the at the time board is idiotic. This guy could have and should have been a 1st round pick. The only thing he can't do seemingly is catch the ball but he wasn't exactly thrown to alot. His main knock is "he's to short" guess who else fell to us last year because they were thought to be short? Kendricks. One of the greatest corners our organization has ever had was 5'9 (Winfield in case you jumped on the band wagon last year). This guy fell because GMs need that prototypical size, this guy is a ferocious worker and has a lot of talent. He embodies a lot of what Zimmer is trying to do here (said so himself). Is it a position of need? Not an immediate one, but it will be next year when munerlyn goes. And if Waynes does bust this guy could maybe salvage that.

I really like the pick a lot, a lot of the safeties we were all interested in were already gone before we picked. The only other pick that I would have liked is cody whitehair, but we should be pretty solid on the guard front for a few years with boone and fusco/harris (if one of them gets there #### together).
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Watch this guy's interviews on vikings.com

Seems very smart, very aggressive and only wants to get better. He seems like a top notch competitor and a great addition. To a zimmer defense.
The dude abides.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:Good. Munnerlyn is a liability and Newman is ancient.
Well part of that is false. Munnerlyn actually played very well in the slot last year. Lets not live on what we saw two years ago 8)
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri