Will the first round pick be a defensive player...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Will the first round pick be a defensive player...

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote: Would we be content to rotate Sharif in then? That's the only issue I could foresee. Of course, injuries make it nice to have extra talent at the position. When Linval went down last season we felt his absence big time.
Floyd would remain a starter. Maybe there would be a DT/NT rotation but Floyd is too good not to start. It would also depend on 4-3 and nickel sets.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

slapnut19 wrote:
you have to wonder about some of the defensive players acquired pre zimmer. floyd is a solid d tackle, but is he a guy zimmer wants to roll with long term? i'd put rhodes in the same category.
Why would you wonder about two really good players? Floyd and Rhodes have both flashed brilliance, were big parts of an emerging defense, and they're still young.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

losperros wrote: Floyd would remain a starter. Maybe there would be a DT/NT rotation but Floyd is too good not to start. It would also depend on 4-3 and nickel sets.
Agreed. I think this is one of those BPA situations where they simply identify a player who is just too talented to pass on. I guess he could train behind Linval for a while and then step in down the road, perhaps in 3 years when his deal is up. A rotation between Floyd, Linval, and Billings might work out in Zimmer's scheme.

I was basing my statement on the twitter report that originated after the combine when Billings told a reporter that the Vikings had told him they would take him if he's still around at 23. Read more here:
http://vikingsterritory.com/2016/rumors ... -available

Who knows what the context was of this statement or just how serious the person who said it was?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: Agreed. I think this is one of those BPA situations where they simply identify a player who is just too talented to pass on. I guess he could train behind Linval for a while and then step in down the road, perhaps in 3 years when his deal is up. A rotation between Floyd, Linval, and Billings might work out in Zimmer's scheme.

I was basing my statement on the twitter report that originated after the combine when Billings told a reporter that the Vikings had told him they would take him if he's still around at 23. Read more here:
http://vikingsterritory.com/2016/rumors ... -available

Who knows what the context was of this statement or just how serious the person who said it was?
I seem to recall the Vikings made a similar statement to Robert Woods in 2013. Of course a lot can happen, like a guy they didn't expect to fall being there (Floyd) and able to swing a trade for someone they felt had higher upside (Patterson). Woods went in the upper half of round 2. I really liked him coming out but so far he seems like a #2/3 Jarius Wright type (though with more production than Patterson). I doubt Billings will be there at 23 but it's fun to speculate. We might get some trade offers if so.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

DK Sweets wrote:Why would you wonder about two really good players? Floyd and Rhodes have both flashed brilliance, were big parts of an emerging defense, and they're still young.

my point is they weren't drafted when he was the coach. they may not fit exactly what he's looking for in those positions. they have both been solid, but do you commit big money to them long term? it's thing to be a young player on a rookie contract, it's another to give them big money long term.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

honestly it could be a defensive player ..

when Linval went out our DL suffered greatly and there is the most depth
at DT and DE in this draft..

I wouldn't even mind Lynch at QB for depth and push Teddy some.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I am almost to the point I hope they do draft a defensive player with the 1st pick. I think that would be a much better option then a WR.

Maybe Patterson can play this year. Or get Boldin. Or Oline. Or even Henry. But the WR's just aernt doing it for me in the first or second rounds. BPA makes more sense.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

If a reciever we want gets drafted, then I think we will go Defense.
I'm guessing LB or defensive line. I doubt there will be any safeties left worth # 23
Another unknown is what is Rick going to do as far as wheeling and dealing.

As far as QB projects I like Christian Hackenburg. He has the tools, Franklin just hung him out to dry...no line, no coaching. If Bill O'Brien would have still been his coach I think he would be a top 3 QB in the draft.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Question for everyone: Who else (besides me) would be slightly sick-to-their-stomach if the Vikings draft a defensive tackle at 23?

I know there have been some rumblings around the NFL that we may just do that. Personally, I don't see the need to (unless it is Sheldon Rankins). Drafting a rotational defensive lineman in the top 25 does not make a whole lot of sense. Moreover, this team has pretty solid depth already at defensive tackle. It would seem like a huge waste to me.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Question for everyone: Who else (besides me) would be slightly sick-to-their-stomach if the Vikings draft a defensive tackle at 23?

I know there have been some rumblings around the NFL that we may just do that. Personally, I don't see the need to (unless it is Sheldon Rankins). Drafting a rotational defensive lineman in the top 25 does not make a whole lot of sense. Moreover, this team has pretty solid depth already at defensive tackle. It would seem like a huge waste to me.

I wouldn't feel that way. I trust Zimmer's ability to evaluate talent on D and I trust his vision for what kind of players he needs for his scheme, so if they were to choose a DT, I'd have to assume that he has a good reason for the pick.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote:
I wouldn't feel that way. I trust Zimmer's ability to evaluate talent on D and I trust his vision for what kind of players he needs for his scheme, so if they were to choose a DT, I'd have to assume that he has a good reason for the pick.

I agree. It a DT is the BPA at #23, then the Vikings should take him. Why let some other team have that BPA?

The Vikings need to get dominate on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If they can do that, they'll be consistent winners and maybe champions.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

If they end up going WR or OL in round 1, I would love to see them take Keanu Neal (FS, Florida) in the 2nd.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote:
I agree. It a DT is the BPA at #23, then the Vikings should take him. Why let some other team have that BPA?

The Vikings need to get dominate on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If they can do that, they'll be consistent winners and maybe champions.
Yeah, when Linval joseph missed time it was a noticeable drop off, just get the best players cause you never know what could happen.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

I am of the opinion that if the BPA is a defensive lineman, it is never a bad pick to take them. That is a position that can be rotated, so it's not like Billings, or whoever, would have to sit a whole year. I doubt any roster in the NFL has too many talented D-linemen. The Detroit Lions had the chance to take Aaron Donald, who seemed to be the consensus BPA when they picked. They didn't take him, because they had Suh and Fairley. A few years later, and they were short on DT talent. The Jets, on the other hand, seemed stocked at DL, but took the BPA last year and have not regretted the move one bit. When evaluating your roster, it can be tough to predict what the team needs will be in 2-3 years. The best path to a solid team is taking the BPA and being patient. I hope that at #23 the BPA is a WR, since it would mesh so well with our team's need, but if it's not, I have no problem taking another position.

Another factor this year, while increases the chances that BPA will indeed be a DL, is that it's one of the top DL draft of all time. It would be a shame to miss out on a chance to get it on it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I am almost to the point I hope they do draft a defensive player with the 1st pick. I think that would be a much better option then a WR.

Maybe Patterson can play this year. Or get Boldin. Or Oline. Or even Henry. But the WR's just aernt doing it for me in the first or second rounds. BPA makes more sense.
I truly hope nobody is expecting Patterson to turn it around. If we go into this draft thinking that I might stop watching this team. I have no interest in Boldin. Wouldnt be opposed to OL. Maybe Henry. Not sure how Treadwell or Doctson doesnt do it for you but I'm all over taking either of them
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri