Behind Peterson's perfect image lay an imperfect human being

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Behind Peterson's perfect image lay an imperfect human being

Post by frosted »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 37431.html
In the fall of 2011, by then one of the NFL’s greatest runners, Peterson signed a record-breaking contract, a seven-year agreement that could pay him as much as $100 million.

Three months later, he was at the center of an incident in an Eden Prairie hotel room that resulted in an accusation of rape and triggered a lengthy police investigation.

The 38-page police report details a night of drinking, arguing and sex that involved the running back, two relatives — including Peterson’s brother, a minor — and four women, in various pairs. One of those present, Chris Brown, a Peterson relative who lives with him in Eden Prairie, told police that he paid for the room using a company credit card for Peterson’s All Day, Inc.

As the night wore on, the report says, one woman who said she knew Peterson previously became upset when she saw him having sex with another woman. She started an argument that lasted at least an hour. According to the report, when she told him that she was “emotionally attached to him,” Peterson reminded her that he was engaged to another woman and had a baby.

The next day one of the women filed a police complaint that was investigated for months. Peterson insisted on his innocence and, at one point, arrived to provide evidence at police headquarters through a back door, his face shrouded by the hood of his sweatshirt.

His attorney, Peter Wold, arranged for Peterson to take a polygraph test, and said he quickly passed and that he also tested “clean” for drugs.

“The presumption of guilt is magnified for someone like AP, even when he’s innocent,” said Wold.

Hennepin County prosecutors, after reviewing the file, declined to file charges.
More at the link. Yikes.
Southsider1979
Waterboy

Re: Behind Peterson's perfect image lay an imperfect human b

Post by Southsider1979 »

I get the whole innocent until proven guilty nonsense, but hopefully, they cut this idiot this week before the cancer continues to spread.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rs-claims/
But his representatives said they were surprised to read claims of charity mismanagement in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, since the paper never contacted them.

“I wish they’d have given us a call and given us a chance to clear up some of these misconceptions,” said Bruce Richman, who runs the All Day Foundation now.

Richman said he’s since talked to reporters from the Star Tribune, but detailed some of the errors in their story. Much of it stemmed from the poor management of the foundation prior to 2011 (when Peterson cleaned house and hired a new team to manage it).

“There’s no real story since 2011,” Richman said. “Because we’ve cleaned everything up.”

For instance, the paper reported that a group called Straight From the Heart Ministries in Laurel, Md. denied receiving money from Peterson. Richman said that was because the foundation gave to a group in California with the same name. That was similar to a paperwork confusion regarding donations to food banks in Texas.

Richman detailed a list of contributions Peterson made in 2012 through 2013 totaling over $1.4 million, most of which came from his own pocket rather than sponsors or events. That include a pair of $450,000 donations to churches.

There were no denials about the six children out of wedlock, or the orgy (though it was noted that the funds for the hotel which housed the sex party came from Peterson’s personal account rather than foundation money). But last time we checked, neither sex nor its cause-and-effect relationship to the appearance of children was illegal or uncommon.
Sounds like the Star Trib engaged in some very lazy journalism.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the PFT link. I thought that Strib piece read like a thinly disguised hatchet job when I read it the other day so I'm not surprised to find that some of it was sloppy journalism.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

just cut this scum already and get it over with. i'm not sure "imperfect is the word," more like "immoral and irresponsible." the question i'm wondering, is how many kids does he really have? i'm guessing closer to 8 or 10. that is where i'd put the over under. sex with a minor allegations are you kidding me? someone filed the report, so something happened. does his track record lead you to believe it isn't true?
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

frosted21 wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rs-claims/
Sounds like the Star Trib engaged in some very lazy journalism.
Very lazy journalism. Look none of these guys are perfect. People act like they are shocked that Peterson likes sex and has some baby mama's. They are rich professional athletes that have women falling all over them and 99.9% of them have random sexual encounters and 90% probably have a baby out of wedlock. This "orgy" story is so stupid. Now do I think Peterson went too far in disciplining his kid, yes, but this all out assassination on him is too much. He made a mistake and will pay his debt to society. After that he should be able to carry on with his career whether it be with us or some other team.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Beo wrote: Very lazy journalism. Look none of these guys are perfect. People act like they are shocked that Peterson likes sex and has some baby mama's. They are rich professional athletes that have women falling all over them and 99.9% of them have random sexual encounters and 90% probably have a baby out of wedlock. This "orgy" story is so stupid. Now do I think Peterson went too far in disciplining his kid, yes, but this all out assassination on him is too much. He made a mistake and will pay his debt to society. After that he should be able to carry on with his career whether it be with us or some other team.
I don't know, but in my opinion producing children who won't have a loving nuclear family is a form of child abuse, but one that is so common that its hardly regarded as wrong.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Southsider1979 wrote:I get the whole innocent until proven guilty nonsense, but hopefully, they cut this idiot this week before the cancer continues to spread.
This is the problem with people. You can't just make assumptions nowadays because there are two sides to every story.

It's too bad that people are so gullible that they believe anything in print. I am sure they could make an article that said Adrian Peterson was actually white and people would believe it.

It sickens me that anything written in a "news source" can be perceived as full truth. Pathetic.
Last edited by PurpleMustReign on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I don't know, but in my opinion producing children who won't have a loving nuclear family is a form of child abuse, but one that is so common that its hardly regarded as wrong.
I wouldn't call it child abuse but I definitely consider it irresponsible.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I wouldn't call it child abuse but I definitely consider it irresponsible.
I don't know, the effects are pretty traumatic and psychologically harmful.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

fiestavike wrote: I don't know, the effects are pretty traumatic and psychologically harmful.
Are you a Psychologist? I am just curious what data you are using and how a broken home is always ttraumatic and harmful.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Are you a Psychologist?
No.
PurpleMustReign wrote:I am just curious what data you are using and how a broken home is always ttraumatic and harmful.
I didn't use the word always.

edit*
I'm not trying to debate the issue, but I feel certain that most people know that generally speaking being raised in a broken home is not a good thing for a child. That's why we call it broken.
Last edited by fiestavike on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

fiestavike wrote: No.
I didn't use the word "always". Would you contend that it generally isn't traumatic and harmful?

I don't contend anything. I know it isn't the ideal situation, but I don't think I Would put a generalization like that out there unless I knew.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

The media is just piling on now. I guarantee 99% of th rest of sports figures do the same thing as was described in the report (the orgy). Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I don't contend anything. I know it isn't the ideal situation, but I don't think I Would put a generalization like that out there unless I knew.
Ok, I feel I have enough anecdotal and experiential evidence to be comfortable making the generalization.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins