Fusco gets 5-yr Extension

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Fusco gets 5-yr Extension

Post by S197 »

ESPN reporting Brandon Fusco received a 5-year, $25 million extension ($6 million guaranteed).
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Fusco gets 5-yr Extension

Post by Funkytown »

The one-time project has become a rock for the Vikings, starting 31 games the past two seasons. Pro Football Focus graded Fusco as their No. 8 overall guard and No. 3 right guard in 2013.

As high offensive line draft picks like Eric Fisher, Jonathan Cooper and Greg Robinson struggle, Fusco's contract is an example of a team finding players deep in the draft, developing them and locking them down.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -extension
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

That's a Rock solid deal. Nothing Slippery about it.

Actually think Fusco might have left a little on the table and given the Vikings a little bit of a hometown discount. Compare it to the contract the Jags gave Zane Beadles this year: 5 years, $30M, $12.5M guaranteed. Fusco compares favorably to Beadles IMO.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pseudo Everything wrote:That's a Rock solid deal. Nothing Slippery about it.

Well played...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Good deal. Now I expect them to sign Loadholt and Kalil to extensions as well. If they can do that and then go draft a LG or sign a good one coming off his rookie deal, the oline will be set for years.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Glad we kept Jeff Davidson. Only coach who's earned his money lately. He should get a raise as well!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HornedMessiah wrote:Good deal. Now I expect them to sign Loadholt and Kalil to extensions as well. If they can do that and then go draft a LG or sign a good one coming off his rookie deal, the oline will be set for years.
Loadholt signed a 4-year, $25 million contract in March '13. Right side of the line (plus Sullivan) locked in at least through next season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wish we had found a solid young left guard by now. Could keep this group together for the better part of a decade. As much as the coaches are talking up Johnson, he isn't the answer now, or for the future. (Well, I guess "now" if you just need the best of the worst to plug in there...)
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Demi wrote:Wish we had found a solid young left guard by now. Could keep this group together for the better part of a decade. As much as the coaches are talking up Johnson, he isn't the answer now, or for the future. (Well, I guess "now" if you just need the best of the worst to plug in there...)

hopefully we have found one in Yankey, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for Fusco, I'm glad he's being rewarded, and it's nice to see the majority of Viking fans actually acknowledging his steady increase in play, as apposed to the constant bashing he received before without any real reason for it. Fusco was our best offensive lineman last year, and if he continues his upward progress, he could be a steal at the price we just signed him to.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

He kinda came out of nowhere in my book. As far as I knew, he was just another name in the revolving door at one of the two guard positions. Glad to see that he's been developed into one of the better guards out there and got a well-deserved contract. The more guys you can lockdown long-term on the OL, the better.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Purplemania wrote: I don't get it :? but that's because most of the time I'm stupid lol
:lol:

He played college ball at Slippery Rock.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Fusco hasn't been my favorite, but he is proven himself as a guard and has proven me wrong. He is a solid player and will continue to be a solid player for us hopefully. He has earned his money.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

So glad to hear this! Our team is really set up to carry over into next year!
purplereign1
Rookie

Post by purplereign1 »

I keep reading about how good our offensive line is but I don't really see it. Yes they did well last week, but it generally seems like our quarterbacks have to run for their lives and AD has to cut back or make someone miss just to get back to the line of scrimmage half the time. Does anyone else remember the holes Emmet Smith used to get. Just imagine if AD had that line.