Matt Cassel named starter

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

tleiviska
Practice Squad

Re: Matt Cassel named starter

Post by tleiviska »

I'm happy that Cassel is the starter (seeing as though he's performed well, is comfortable with Turner's system, and is a good leader), and Teddy gets to sit and keep learning. He gets to pick Cassel's brain, continue to practice under the brilliant mind and watchful eye of Norv Turner, and feel comfortable knowing he's not getting rushed into any bad situations. I feel bad for Christian Ponder, and what his career in MN has become. He was rushed in, under coached, and left to fend for himself on how to go from a college QB to an NFL QB. I am perfectly comfortable knowing that Matt Cassel has the reigns of our Vikings, and totally confident that should something happen to Cassel, Teddy will step in and be the star he is destined to be. Teddy is the Vikings future, along with Patterson, Reisner, Smith, McKinnon and Theilen who have all stepped up and proved they can compete. SKOL!!
SKOL VIKINGS
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

PurpleHalo wrote:The early portion of the schedule wouldn't seem to be a place for a rookie. Cassel is more equipped to take the ups and downs in stride.
This is a very good point. Weeks 2-6 the Vikings are up against Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, and Stafford. All very good QBs who are capable of piling on the points, especially against a young and untested defensive unit like ours. Not a bad idea to stick with the veteran for that stretch, when we'll likely be playing from behind and need to minimize mistakes.
VikingFan50
Starter

Post by VikingFan50 »

I'm very satisified with Cassel starting for us this year. Bridgewater has time to grow a bit more, watch and learn. I have only good things to say about both of the QB's from everything I've seen this Pre-Season.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it.
John F. Kennedy
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HornedMessiah wrote: This is a very good point. Weeks 2-6 the Vikings are up against Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, and Stafford. All very good QBs who are capable of piling on the points, especially against a young and untested defensive unit like ours. Not a bad idea to stick with the veteran for that stretch, when we'll likely be playing from behind and need to minimize mistakes.
Not to mention the Rams have a great front 4, so even right out the gate I think the starter is going to get hit in the mouth quite a bit.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

I think this news surprises very few people.
dead_poet wrote:
Zim either reads fan message boards, or he learned a lot of what not to do from his predecessor. :thumbsup:

Now, have we called the Rams to see if they're interested in Ponder? I hear they might need another QB. Cassel vs Ponder week 1?
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
VikingsBoss
Practice Squad

Post by VikingsBoss »

Now, have we called the Rams to see if they're interested in Ponder? I hear they might need another QB. Cassel vs Ponder week 1?[/quote]

Even if the Rams were interested, do you really think Ponder would be able to get up to speed with their offense in less than 13 days? I doubt it. If he'd been practicing and playing in preseason games, maybe he'd be able to learn enough of the offense and let his limited physical skills do the rest...but he hasn't even been getting more than 3 or 4 snaps per session from what I've been hearing. He would need at least a week of practice to get his "game" back up to speed before I think he'd even be able to start digesting the Rams offense in any meaningful way.
Besides, I've heard the Rams are more interested in Sanchez...or if the Pats go with two QBs, Mallett.
VikingsBoss
Practice Squad

Post by VikingsBoss »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Shaun Hill will be the Rams starter regardless of if they trade for Ponder, Sanchez, Mallett or whoever. No QB they acquire now will be ready for week 1 and I'm not entirely sure any of those guys or anyone else they would get right now is better than Hill anyway.

They're looking for an upgrade on Garrett Gilbert and Austin Davis, not Shaun Hill.

Speaking of Shaun Hill; remember when he was our 3rd stringer from 02-05? And sat behind the not only Culpepper, but Bouman, Frerotte and Johnson? The only 2 regular season snaps he ever saw in 4 years with us were 2 kneel down in Week 17 2005 (which was also his final game in a Vikes uniform), literally minutes before Tice was fired.

Now in 2014 not only is he still around, but has been considered one of the better back ups in the league since he left the Vikes. :lol:

I would agree with everything you said here. Mostly, that whomever (if anyone) the Rams pick up, would be insurance in case Hill were to be injured too, or be able to start in 3 or 4 weeks if need be. Another possibility may be Colt McCoy, will the 'Skins keep 3 QBs? In any event, I wouldn't wish Garrett Gilbert starting at QB on my worst enemy, so, God help the Rams if it were to come to that.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Cassel is a good choice to begin with... if he struggles i am sure
Turner and Zimmer will go with, Teddy.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer manages QB decision correctly
How this coaching staff handles Bridgewater will play a major role in Zimmer's longevity with the Vikings probably more than how the team fares this season. The decision Zimmer announced on Monday -- and the one his actions had been pointing toward for weeks -- worked on two fronts: It curried favor with players weary of quarterback instability after last season, and it provided more time for Bridgewater to learn in a forgiving environment.

Cassel will be asked to solve a tough St. Louis Rams defense on the road in Week 1, and could possibly have to trade scoring drives with Tom Brady and Brees the next two weeks. That's a daunting task for a rookie, and by assigning it to Cassel, the Vikings can retain some control over the setting in which Bridgewater eventually debuts.
http://www.espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-v ... two-fronts
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

FWIW, I think Zimmer made the right call. I hope Cassel plays well and starts all 16(+!) games. However I can't help but get a bit of a feeling of deja vu, harkening back to the 2011 season when the Vikings traded for McNabb ("the vet"), which resulted in a 1-5 start before he got benched for Ponder ("the rookie") and the team finished with a dismal 3-13 record. Granted I think Cassel has more in the tank now than McNabb did (Cassel is three years younger) and Bridgewater is more promising than Ponder...but still. It helps that the offensive weapons we have now put those in 2011 to shame. Seriously...apart from Harvin we had Emmanuel Arceneaux, Devin Aromashodu and Greg Camarillo with an offensive line with Charlie Johnson at LT, Herrerra at LG and rookie Fusco at RG. UF.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:FWIW, I think Zimmer made the right call. I hope Cassel plays well and starts all 16(+!) games. However I can't help but get a bit of a feeling of deja vu, harkening back to the 2011 season when the Vikings traded for McNabb ("the vet"), which resulted in a 1-5 start before he got benched for Ponder ("the rookie") and the team finished with a dismal 3-13 record. Granted I think Cassel has more in the tank now than McNabb did (Cassel is three years younger) and Bridgewater is more promising than Ponder...but still. It helps that the offensive weapons we have now put those in 2011 to shame. Seriously...apart from Harvin we had Emmanuel Arceneaux, Devin Aromashodu and Greg Camarillo with an offensive line with Charlie Johnson at LT, Herrerra at LG and rookie Fusco at RG. UF.
Yep... the team had been gradually rebuilding it's talent base from that 2011 low point and they're still not done.

Regarding Goessling's article:

The majority view seems to be that naming Cassel the starter is the right call (I think so) but it will be interesting to see if it still looks that way in hindsight.

I also found this quote from Goessling's article interesting:
"The team has a lot of confidence in him," Zimmer said of Cassel. "They feel good about his veteran leadership and presence. I had to think about the whole football team; it wasn’t just about the quarterbacks. I’ve said this before: It’s not always the best player at that position -- and I’m not saying Matt’s not -- but any position, it’s how everything works together and at this stage in where we are at right now, I feel like that’s the best thing to do."
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I also found this quote from Goessling's article interesting:

Wise thinking, in my view.

I still believe that Cassel's experience played a big part in the decision. Zimmer is probably looking for the smoothest way to go into the season. Cassel played with these guys last season and he understands the NFL game better than Bridgewater for now.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Mothman wrote: I also found this quote from Goessling's article interesting:
Yes, that is an interesting quote. I would think you would always want your best player at any position. And by 'best player' I mean the player that works the best with his teammates to make the team better. Maybe what Zimmer meant is that the player with the most talent isn't always the starter, in which case it usually boils down to mental mistakes.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Shaun Hill will be the Rams starter regardless of if they trade for Ponder, Sanchez, Mallett or whoever. No QB they acquire now will be ready for week 1 and I'm not entirely sure any of those guys or anyone else they would get right now is better than Hill anyway.

They're looking for an upgrade on Garrett Gilbert and Austin Davis, not Shaun Hill.
This.

I'm still interested to find out what they do, though. I think they'll have some decent options, especially with a handful of teams leaning towards just keeping two quarterbacks.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

VikingsBoss wrote: Even if the Rams were interested, do you really think Ponder would be able to get up to speed with their offense in less than 13 days? I doubt it.
But he's so intelligent. :rofl:

A guy can dream can't he? Get rid of Ponder and play against him week 1? I like every bit of that scenario. And even though the likelihood of him starting would be slim to none, the Rams are lacking at QB depth right now and could use a backup.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh