2014 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: 2014 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

Post by S197 »

My sources have confirmed the Vikings are indeed very serious about getting younger. In fact, several prominent members of the team already have their successors waiting in the wings.

:mrgreen:

(Seriously though, I'm pretty agnostic on this issue. If they want KWill back for a veteran presence and to shore up the rotation, cool. If they want to see what they got in some of the younger guys, cool.)
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:My sources have confirmed the Vikings are indeed very serious about getting younger. In fact, several prominent members of the team already have their successors waiting in the wings.
Peterson's son looks just like him.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

King James wrote:In my closing statement on this Kevin Williams topic, if Zimmer signs Kevin Williams then I am okay with it. Would I like it, probably not but maybe the coaches would have seen something that I didn't see. If the coaches think they need another vet to play a situation role rather than letting one of the younger guys develop into that position, then that's his choice, their the coaches. Whether I like it or not my opinion won't change anything.
I will bet that Spielman will be delighted to hear that you would be "ok" if they resigned him. :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Kevin Williams - DL - Free Agent
Seahawks agreed to terms with DT Kevin Williams, formerly of the Vikings, on a one-year contract.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, the deal is worth "in excess" of $2 million. Williams pondered retirement, but found the amount of money he was willing to play for after three months on the open market. Going on 34, Williams remained a productive player in 2014, particularly against the run. He further fortifies what was already one of the league's stoutest defensive lines.
Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

---
Bad move, Seahawks; it's only going to take playing time away from your younger guys
#0-16
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Ugh. Other than the packers, that's about the last place I wanted him to go.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Lestar Jean - WR - Vikings

Vikings waived/injured WR Lestar Jean.

The former Texan should go unclaimed on waivers, reverting to injured reserve. A 2011 undrafted free agent, Jean has always shined in pad-less practices, but has struggled to stay healthy. He has just 10 catches across 27 career games.
Source: National Football Post
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:Lestar Jean - WR - Vikings

Vikings waived/injured WR Lestar Jean.

The former Texan should go unclaimed on waivers, reverting to injured reserve. A 2011 undrafted free agent, Jean has always shined in pad-less practices, but has struggled to stay healthy. He has just 10 catches across 27 career games.
Was Jean injured when they signed him in April, or was he injured during OTAs?
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: Bad move, Seahawks; it's only going to take playing time away from your younger guys
#0-16
:point:

Good for him, though.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Crax wrote:Ugh. Other than the packers, that's about the last place I wanted him to go.
Agreed. Another ex-Viking in Seattle :puke:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Kevin Williams - DL - Free Agent
Seahawks agreed to terms with DT Kevin Williams, formerly of the Vikings, on a one-year contract.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, the deal is worth "in excess" of $2 million. Williams pondered retirement, but found the amount of money he was willing to play for after three months on the open market. Going on 34, Williams remained a productive player in 2014, particularly against the run. He further fortifies what was already one of the league's stoutest defensive lines.

---
Bad move, Seahawks; it's only going to take playing time away from your younger guys
#0-16
LOL!

Of course, we should have seen this coming since Seattle seems to be where quite a few great Vikings defensive linemen end up late in their careers. Eller, Randle, Millard and now Williams...
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dead_poet wrote:Kevin Williams - DL - Free Agent

---
#0-16
If the Vikings were in the position the Seahawks were, it's a different discussion.

Which appears to be a big part of the disconnect...
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

if the seahawks give wilson a kapernick type of deal they will be off of their high horse real quick. over $100 million for kapernick has to be one of the dumbest contracts in sports history. they say wilson expects the same, or more.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mosscarter wrote:if the seahawks give wilson a kapernick type of deal they will be off of their high horse real quick. over $100 million for kapernick has to be one of the dumbest contracts in sports history. they say wilson expects the same, or more.
Have you looked into the details of that contract? It's not as dumb as it first appeared.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Demi wrote: If the Vikings were in the position the Seahawks were, it's a different discussion.

Which appears to be a big part of the disconnect...

I know right. These seahawks are not rebuilding like we are. They have a super bowl caliber team so they can afford to sign aging vets. Plus they are already loaded with talent on defense, he may not even make the team. They may just need that one vet to fill a spot for them to potientially make another run in the super bowl. Where in the Vikings case, they sign him back for what? Just to let him finish his career as a Viking? Had this been any other player with the same age and diminishing skill set, no one here would probably care for him.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Williams said he was offered a similar contract to the one he accepted from Seattle, but elected for a change of scenery instead of returning to Minnesota.

“I just believed that it probably was the best fit,” Williams said. “Just the direction that the team has been going. They’ve got a quarterback (Russell Wilson) and they’re coming off a Super Bowl (win). They’ve got a great young team.”

“It’s so uncertain what’s going on in Minnesota. Who knows? They might win 10 games this year or they could have another season like last year,’’ Williams added.
Worked out for the Vikings in the end!