Vikings QB of the future search list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings QB of the future is in the NFL or in college rig

Post by akvikingsfan »

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I'll use this one. Looking at the list of draft eligible quarterbacks none really come off to me as great picks for a top 5. But I see several that would be worth a high second round pick (Bortles, McCarron) What is everyone's opinion of Blake Bortles out of UCF? The last quarterback we drafted out of UCF did pretty well until he blew out his knee... Plus look at Brotles he seems like he would make a good NFL QB, maybe not great, but good. Bring Castle (or Freeman) back for a year and let him learn the game?
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

akvikingsfan wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I'll use this one. Looking at the list of draft eligible quarterbacks none really come off to me as great picks for a top 5. But I see several that would be worth a high second round pick (Bortles, McCarron) What is everyone's opinion of Blake Bortles out of UCF? The last quarterback we drafted out of UCF did pretty well until he blew out his knee... Plus look at Brotles he seems like he would make a good NFL QB, maybe not great, but good. Bring Castle (or Freeman) back for a year and let him learn the game?
Yeah, I think that's a good take to have, if we can't get bridgewater I hope like heck we just wait till the 2nd and grab a guy we like. Haven't looked into Bortles yet, what do you think about his game? McCarron I'd feel better about in the 3rd round, I think he might be carried a little bit by his team which is a luxury he might not have in the NFL.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

mondry wrote: Yeah, I think that's a good take to have, if we can't get bridgewater I hope like heck we just wait till the 2nd and grab a guy we like. Haven't looked into Bortles yet, what do you think about his game? McCarron I'd feel better about in the 3rd round, I think he might be carried a little bit by his team which is a luxury he might not have in the NFL.
To be honest, I wouldn't even take Bridgewater in the first round. At least not the top of the first when we will be picking. I don't think he's a top 10 talent. Bortles seems to be decisive with his passes, he doesn't lock on to a receiver, and he doesn't look to run. He has good pocket presence and steps up. However, watching his passes they look wobbly and weak. Doesn't look like he puts much steam on them. Could be due to a lack of arm strength which is trouble some. Also his spiral isn't always tight, which again could be due to a lack of arm strength. I think he would be good for a west coast offense and with the right weapons I think he could be good. I would really like to see us draft a QB in the 2nd-4th round and if they dot pan out n't Jameis Winston next year.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Bortles seems to be decisive with his passes, he doesn't lock on to a receiver
Really? Most of the highlights I've seen he stares down his first read from the time he takes the snap until he throws it to receiver he's staring at.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Demi wrote: Really? Most of the highlights I've seen he stares down his first read from the time he takes the snap until he throws it to receiver he's staring at.
That's what I've noticed (starring down) when he plans on throwing a deep pass. But his short to intermediate passes he goes through his progressions, at least thats the way it looks to me
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

I didn't put McCown up there because he is too old but if you think the Vikings are willing to take a 35+ guy and plug him in at QB you might as well throw Matt Schaub on the list too.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Updated a couple of guys.
lyzarde
Veteran

Re: Vikings QB of the future search list

Post by lyzarde »

I finally looked into Bortles a bit (I don't really follow college much). I do like his throwing motion, he seems to keep his arm tight and ball high. Quick release without a huge windup. Seems to keep his eyes down field. It's hard when all you have is highlights though because you don't get to see the bad plays. Seems like a smart kid though, I can see why people like him.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Kirk Cousins say's he open to being traded.

I wouldn't be against sending a 3rd to Washington for Cousins, picking up a QB in the draft somewhere, and then trying to re-sign Cassel.

I know that would never happen though. My guess is that we only have one possible starter going into training camp.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The question, if Matt Cassel isn't re-signed, is whether or not the Vikings will want to bring in another veteran QB next season to be a backup. And, if so, just how badly they'll want one. I don't envision a big trade in that department.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Bortles should go back to school.

Not when he can go in the top 10, and coming from a smaller school.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

mondry wrote:

I don't know. Saban wouldn't start the guy for 4 years if he wasn't capable.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Mothman wrote:

No kidding. As a Hawkeye fan, even I knew hew would make it in the NFL. The front office should have called me on this one. :wink:

-- Bud Grant
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i'm beginning to think aside from manziel all of these top 4 quarterbacks are overrated. just like gabbert, locker, and ponder. blake freaking bortles are you serious?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mosscarter wrote:i'm beginning to think aside from manziel all of these top 4 quarterbacks are overrated. just like gabbert, locker, and ponder. blake freaking bortles are you serious?
JFreakingB are you kidding me? Like his skill set translates to the NFL.