** Official 2013 Draft Thread **

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: ** Official 2013 Draft Thread **

Post by Purple bruise »

Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

The Vikings still have 5 picks left. We can still trade some picks from this year and next year if we want a guy like Te'o. It seems like the Vikings are attacking the draft will full force so I wouldn't be surprised with a move like that. Rick Spielman is very unpredictable in the draft. I don't think anybody had these picks on their mocks.
Eliot
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Eliot »

2nd and 3rd will be a run on QBs and HBs. Vikings could sneak middle of the2nd and grab Te'o
Minnesota Vikings fan from Missouri!

Skol!
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Funny stuff in this thread.

"We gave up WAY too much for Patterson!!!!"

Holy cow. Pick(s)-for-pick(s) trades are made based on value of the pick(s) based on formulas and charts that take prior draft history into account. It is fairly simple as to what pick(s) equate to what pick(s) for any NFL team. Whenever a team trades pick(s) for picks(s), it is just plain silly for fans to state "we gave up too much!". It is a chart that teams will vary from very little.

If for some reason we went INTO the draft with three # 1's - would anyone have been THAT upset with Patterson at #29? Forget how many picks we traded - it's a simple formula. The #29 pick was WORTH the picks we gave up, more or less. You can argue all day whether Patterson was worth taking at #29, but to go on an on about "we gave up too much!" is just plain silly.

As far as the draft and how it is unfolding for Spielman and company, I agree with the poster who basically stated you simply cannot be angry with this draft so far. I would take three players with high potential for immediate impact over mid-round picks any day of the week. Are any of the three guarantees? Of course not. During the draft, all evaluations are made on PROBABILITIES. Some players are more probable to contribute than others.

Personally, I love this draft for the Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ts-misstep
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Ask me again in 2 years, but right now, I'm happy as heck!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

psjordan wrote:Funny stuff in this thread.

"We gave up WAY too much for Patterson!!!!"

Holy cow. Pick(s)-for-pick(s) trades are made based on value of the pick(s) based on formulas and charts that take prior draft history into account. It is fairly simple as to what pick(s) equate to what pick(s) for any NFL team. Whenever a team trades pick(s) for picks(s), it is just plain silly for fans to state "we gave up too much!". It is a chart that teams will vary from very little.

If for some reason we went INTO the draft with three # 1's - would anyone have been THAT upset with Patterson at #29? Forget how many picks we traded - it's a simple formula. The #29 pick was WORTH the picks we gave up, more or less. You can argue all day whether Patterson was worth taking at #29, but to go on an on about "we gave up too much!" is just plain silly.

As far as the draft and how it is unfolding for Spielman and company, I agree with the poster who basically stated you simply cannot be angry with this draft so far. I would take three players with high potential for immediate impact over mid-round picks any day of the week. Are any of the three guarantees? Of course not. During the draft, all evaluations are made on PROBABILITIES. Some players are more probable to contribute than others.

Personally, I love this draft for the Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ts-misstep
Well said! regarding the cost for Patterson, Tom Pelissero summed it up well:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... 042613?t=2
So, the Vikings gave up their third-round pick (No. 83 overall), one of their fourths (No. 102) and a seventh (No. 229) to flip their second-round pick (No. 52) for New England's first (No. 29) and make a third addition from a category of players they believe can be difference-makers.
The cost isn't that steep and the Vikings still have their original 4th round pick and 4 more picks remaining.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:The cost isn't that steep and the Vikings still have their original 4th round pick and 4 more picks remaining.
It's one thing when a guy like Floyd falls to you because everyone else passes on him. Great value in that pick.

It's another when a guy like Patterson falls after everyone else passes on him and you shoot your wad to jump in and pick him.

Time will tell. And I don't think it's going to take that long to evaluate this pick. By the end of this season, Patterson is either going to show enough to know whether he has a great future or whether the Vikings did some damage to themselves with this trade. I wish only the best, but it's a head-scratcher for me.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Eli wrote:... when a guy like Patterson falls after everyone else passes on him and you shoot your wad to jump in and pick him.
Again, this has nothing to do with "shooting your wad". The picks we gave were equal value to the pick we received. This ONLY has to do with whether CP is worthy of the 29th pick in the draft.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

psjordan wrote: Again, this has nothing to do with "shooting your wad". The picks we gave were equal value to the pick we received. This ONLY has to do with whether CP is worthy of the 29th pick in the draft.
Put down the draft value chart. Nobody cares.

The Vikings are a young, rebuilding team with some gaping holes and very little depth at most positions. They gave away two fairly high draft picks for the privilege of seeing whether or not this guy is going to be any good. That's two additional young players who could have been used to build this team for the future.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Part of the reason Patterson was available was because there was a huge run on OL. Same thing with Floyd. Players fall for many reasons and not all of them are negative.

I would not be surprised to see us pull some shenanigans to get back into the 3rd to take a shot at the 2nd tier MLB prospects. I think we'll see HB/QB/WR clog up the 2nd round. It will really depend on who gets taken when. If we get mid 3rd round and a guy like Minter is still on the board, I could see Spielman making a move. Cross your fingers...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

Both players would need to fail for it to be a failed situation. I hope that doesn't happen. The GM had gem fall to him and grabbed him then did some fast horse trading to land the guys he was expecting to get.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

We will see how half this falls out when we see who is left when the original Vikings picks in round 2 and round 3 come to pass. I suspect a run on the upper tier WR's early-mid second, so it's my guess that there actually will be slim pickings at our pick for that position. But there would certainly be a guy there (Ricks, Wheaton, Swope, Bailey). Or at the MLB position.

Then we will see how it falls out in Patterson's rookie year. It's a massive roll of the dice, to draft a guy on potential when his only (only!) 100 yard receiving game came against Troy (I'm guessing that's the school, not that he was going up against Aikman).

And then we will see whether the guys we likely would have picked at #52 and #83 and #102 would have compared, after some time. We should run a poll tomorrow when we see who could have been chosen at those positions, to be a little more realistic about what we might have lost. There will almost certainly be a future Pro-bowl or HOF player available there, but would the Vikings (or any of us) have drafted them.

This seems to me like the Demetrius Underwood pick - a pick that the GM considered a "bonus pick" that could be a swing (and a miss) for the fences. But given Spielman's draft history, I really need to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mansquatch wrote:Part of the reason Patterson was available was because there was a huge run on OL. Same thing with Floyd. Players fall for many reasons and not all of them are negative.
Do you think that's because everyone all of a sudden desperately needed offensive linemen, or more because those were safer picks? I think the latter.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: Put down the draft value chart. Nobody cares.

The Vikings are a young, rebuilding team with some gaping holes and very little depth at most positions. They gave away two fairly high draft picks for the privilege of seeing whether or not this guy is going to be any good. That's two additional young players who could have been used to build this team for the future.
... or who could fail to make much difference, as many 3rd and 4th round picks do. I don't think anyone will argue that drafting Patterson was a gamble but the Vikes are rolling the dice on a potential impact player rather than 3 players in R3, R4 and R7 who, inevitably, would be less likely to meet that description. Even if the gamble doesn't pay off, is that so terrible?
John_Viveiros wrote:We will see how half this falls out when we see who is left when the original Vikings picks in round 2 and round 3 come to pass. I suspect a run on the upper tier WR's early-mid second, so it's my guess that there actually will be slim pickings at our pick for that position. But there would certainly be a guy there (Ricks, Wheaton, Swope, Bailey). Or at the MLB position.

Then we will see how it falls out in Patterson's rookie year.
...and then we'll see how it falls out in subsequent years because it's his career as a Viking that will matter, not what just what he does in 2013. Since we know his game needs development, we also know that his rookie year isn't necessarily going to be indicative of what he will provide to the team over the course of his time on their roster, which could be 4-5 years at a minimum.
This seems to me like the Demetrius Underwood pick - a pick that the GM considered a "bonus pick" that could be a swing (and a miss) for the fences. But given Spielman's draft history, I really need to give him the benefit of the doubt.
If you swing for the fences all the time, you're going to strike out a lot. if you never swing for them, you're never going to hit a home run. Spielman took a swing at a homer. It's a shot worth taking.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

S197 wrote: I think Woods will go early tomorrow and it will be interesting to see where Te'o and Brown ultimately fall but I don't know if the Vikings ever realistically had a shot at both. We got 3 players with solid 1st round grades so I'll give Spielman the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't been too bad in the later rounds anyway (Robison, Griffen, Sullivan, etc.) so we may still find a solid LB.
We gave up what, 2, 3, 4 and 7? That's the 52nd, 82nd, 102nd and 229th in the draft. A bit much but you have to respect the fact Spielman was willing to make the move, something that fans have criticized for not being willing to do...well, in free agency. Like you said, we might still be able to find a solid LB in round 4. I really like the players we got that fill positions that we needed on this team...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams