Breaking down the tape: Vikings @ Packers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Breaking down the tape: Vikings @ Packers

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Breaking down the tape: Vikings @ Packers

Post by dead_poet »

Piggybacking Pelissero.

ReFo: Vikings @ Packers, Week 13
While Peterson is so good he could even get yards running behind the PFF analysis team (well, as long as he didn’t run to Khaled’s side) he has been getting good help, not the least of which comes from his right tackle, Phil Loadholt (+6.1). The ‘giant one’ started his career as a better pass protector than run blocker but has turned that around and in 2011 was our top-rated tackle in the running game. While he hasn’t quite emulated that this year what we have seen is a better balanced player, with all facets of his game now firmly ‘in the green’. This game may well have been his best, as he gave up nothing protecting his quarterback and opened huge holes for Peterson. If you have the chance, watch the ease with which he tosses aside one of the stronger players in the NFL, Mike Neal, with 6:03 left in the third.
Also note that Pelissero and Hornsby agree that Schwartz should be starting at this point over Fusco.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-week-13/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Piggybacking Pelissero.

ReFo: Vikings @ Packers, Week 13
Also note that Pelissero and Hornsby agree that Schwartz should be starting at this point over Fusco.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-week-13/
Good stuff. I'll look for that 3rd quarter play they mentioned.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Good stuff. I'll look for that 3rd quarter play they mentioned.
Post if you find it!

It would be a huge plus for the vikings if Loadholt could become a strength rather than a weakness. It gets so frustrating that kalil, sullivan, and now loadholt are "good enough" to great players, but our guards are just so awful that the whole line is jeopardized. Same thing with our receivers, Harvin is great, Rudolph looks like he could become great, and then.... no one!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:It would be a huge plus for the vikings if Loadholt could become a strength rather than a weakness. It gets so frustrating that kalil, sullivan, and now loadholt are "good enough" to great players, but our guards are just so awful that the whole line is jeopardized.
I've come to terms that you can't have five all-stars on your line. I'll be content with our line if Schwartz supplants Fusco soon (he seems to be better in every area). He's about the only one-year guy I'd want re-signed. With Kalil getting stronger by the week (potential Pro-Bowler very soon), Sullivan on the cusp of a Pro Bowl, Loadholt being a balanced guy who excels in the run and Schwartz as a better-than-average guy, we can afford to possibly have a competition between CJ, Fusco, others for the final spot. In my eyes, if Schwartz can stay in the green and is our starter, it can certainly be a line that can do enough to succeed. Now to answer the question on QB and receivers....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: I've come to terms that you can't have five all-stars on your line. I'll be content with our line if Schwartz supplants Fusco soon (he seems to be better in every area). He's about the only one-year guy I'd want re-signed.
Don't forget Felton!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote: I've come to terms that you can't have five all-stars on your line. I'll be content with our line if Schwartz supplants Fusco soon (he seems to be better in every area). He's about the only one-year guy I'd want re-signed. With Kalil getting stronger by the week (potential Pro-Bowler very soon), Sullivan on the cusp of a Pro Bowl, Loadholt being a balanced guy who excels in the run and Schwartz as a better-than-average guy, we can afford to possibly have a competition between CJ, Fusco, others for the final spot. In my eyes, if Schwartz can stay in the green and is our starter, it can certainly be a line that can do enough to succeed. Now to answer the question on QB and receivers....
For sure, the main thing in my opinion, and i'm not an offensive line guy, is that you don't want TWO obvious weaknesses which I believe Fusco and CJ currently are. IF you have to give one guy help, that's a viable option. But if you go to help CJ out and they just overload fusco's gap, or vice versa I think that spells trouble.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Don't forget Felton!
Ah! Right. I forgot he was only signed to a one-year deal. I'd lock him up for sure. He's proven to be a valuable asset.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:For sure, the main thing in my opinion, and i'm not an offensive line guy, is that you don't want TWO obvious weaknesses which I believe Fusco and CJ currently are. IF you have to give one guy help, that's a viable option. But if you go to help CJ out and they just overload fusco's gap, or vice versa I think that spells trouble.
I really don't think CJ is a bad guard. To my eyes, he's no worse at guard than Loadholt is at RT,which is to say they both have cringe-worthy moments but overall, they seem like solid starters. I certainly think they could find an upgrade over CJ and I'd be fine with that but RG seems like the biggest problem area on the line to me.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I encourage everyone to watch Peterson's 82 yard touchdown run again. Guess who got out to the second level and helped spring Peterson? Oh yeah, Geoff Schwartz. I guarantee that Fusco would not have made that block to the outside.

Geoff Schwartz should have been the starter the day he came back from injury. The guy is good. I don't know what Jeff Davidson was thinking. I am not trying to rag on Jeff Davidson because I think he is one of the best offensive line coaches in the game, but, Davidson coached Schwartz in Carolina. He should have known that Geoff was better than Fusco.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Geoff Schwartz should have been the starter the day he came back from injury. The guy is good. I don't know what Jeff Davidson was thinking. I am not trying to rag on Jeff Davidson because I think he is one of the best offensive line coaches in the game, but, Davidson coached Schwartz in Carolina. He should have known that Geoff was better than Fusco.
I think they saw something they like(d) in Fusco and wanted to give him every opportunity to succeed, especially with Schwartz's injury. From what I understand it was an open competition in training camp before Schwartz's untimely injury. There's something to be said about line continuity, having confidence in a guy, giving him a chance to succeed and then overcome adversity if he's been struggling (i.e. you don't pull a guy who has struggled a bit after one or two games). I think the Vikings coaches have done the right thing by giving Fusco opportunities. But I think as it stands now they have enough film on Fusco and a healthy Schwartz to be able to realize who should be starting/getting the bulk of the snaps. This is one position I'm very much in favor of switching.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote: I think they saw something they like(d) in Fusco and wanted to give him every opportunity to succeed, especially with Schwartz's injury. From what I understand it was an open competition in training camp before Schwartz's untimely injury. There's something to be said about line continuity, having confidence in a guy, giving him a chance to succeed and then overcome adversity if he's been struggling (i.e. you don't pull a guy who has struggled a bit after one or two games). I think the Vikings coaches have done the right thing by giving Fusco opportunities. But I think as it stands now they have enough film on Fusco and a healthy Schwartz to be able to realize who should be starting/getting the bulk of the snaps. This is one position I'm very much in favor of switching.
I understand that. I also understand that the coaching staff felt that Fusco could channel his inner John Sullivan (seeing as they were both 6th round picks) and play well. I also understand that John Sullivan sucked early in his career as well and that Fusco could end up being a good player. However, Geoff is the better player, and always was.

It is possible that both Geoff and Fusco could be starting next year. That I would not mind even though Charile Johnson has not done awful as a guard.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:Also note that Pelissero and Hornsby agree that Schwartz should be starting at this point over Fusco.
Those two and a couple million other casual observers.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I just went back and dug up some info on Schwartz's contract. His signing bonus was $150k and his base salary $550k. The bulk of his contract is in incentives, with a maximum contract value said to be $1.5M. Now you don't suppose that the Vikings are purposely keeping him out of the lineup to save themselves up to $800k, do you? . . . . . . . . . . Nah, they'd never do that.

If we don't see Schwartz start a game and play every snap by the end of the season, my money says he won't be back.