New Toys For 2007 Season

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

New Toys For 2007 Season

Post by Kansas Viking »

Finally made the jump from Point and Shoot to DSLR.

http://www.kansasviking.com/images_olym ... 400062.jpg

I have been waiting for this model to come out for a long time. Now hopefully I won't be buying new cameras every year. Just expensive glass to go on the end of it. :D

Don't know if there are any other photography people here on the board, but I'm really excited to see how this performs when I go to the Pre-season game in August. I know they are only kit lenses at this point, but that will change come next year.

I'm hoping to get some really good shots of the players during warm-ups.

And um........ of course, Cheerleaders.
:cheer:
Mike

jackal
Strong Safety

looks nice

Post by jackal »

looks like a real nice set-up mike.

My dad just went with canon version of what you
have in the picture.
Last edited by jackal on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

I used to be an avid photographer.

I was a photo editor on my high school yearbook, a newspaper photographer, and I have done a few yearbooks for my kids' schools.

That is a nice set up.

The flash won't do any good from the seats at the dome though. :wink:

You may want to get a polarized filter and a "sky" filter for your lenses. they come in handy, and they keep the actual lens face protected.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Minniman wrote:You may want to get a polarized filter and a "sky" filter for your lenses. they come in handy, and they keep the actual lens face protected.
Got the clear UV protectors on there now, but I will have a circular polarizer ordered by the end of the month.
Mike

Canadian Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Canadian Viking »

Nice kit. I was just reading something about the 510 on another board that i frequent. I use a Nikon D80, myself...

I am new to photography, but I'm loving it. I am off to Mongolia this afternoon for 2 weeks of hiking and photography. yeee haw! I've got the bug.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Canadian Viking wrote:Nice kit. I was just reading something about the 510 on another board that i frequent. I use a Nikon D80, myself...

I am new to photography, but I'm loving it. I am off to Mongolia this afternoon for 2 weeks of hiking and photography. yeee haw! I've got the bug.
Very cool. If you post your pictures up to any sites on the Internet, such as PBase, please let me know. I would love to view them.
Mike

DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Re: New Toys For 2007 Season

Post by DeeEss57 »

Kansas Viking wrote:Finally made the jump from Point and Shoot to DSLR.
I'd like to get a DSLR, too... been thinking about it for a while now. I've got a Minolta Maxxum 35 mm camera right now. And I would be able to use the same lenses if I bought a Sony digital, since they use Minolta bodies. But I think I'm going to start with one of the point and shoot variety to learn how to do digital.

Dawn
Things are only impossible until they're not.
Canadian Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Kansas Viking wrote: Very cool. If you post your pictures up to any sites on the Internet, such as PBase, please let me know. I would love to view them.
I will definitely be posting photos. I have a bunch up from previous trips at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/contact.jay.allen

They are mostly of a trip to South Africa earlier this year. I will let you know when the photos from Mongolia go up. I am currently sitting in the airport in Dubai and cannot wait to get to Mongolia... only one more stop -- Beijing. I hate stop overs, but I love traveling.

SOmehow I don't think that photos of animals and the mongolian landscape will be able to compete with the photos of the cheer leaders... I know which ones I check more often! *grin* It will be great to see them "up close" with the new camera geer that you got! hehehe
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Re: New Toys For 2007 Season

Post by Kansas Viking »

DeeEss57 wrote: I'd like to get a DSLR, too... been thinking about it for a while now. I've got a Minolta Maxxum 35 mm camera right now. And I would be able to use the same lenses if I bought a Sony digital, since they use Minolta bodies. But I think I'm going to start with one of the point and shoot variety to learn how to do digital.

Dawn
Things are only impossible until they're not.
I have several P&S cameras, Dawn. In fact, I carry no less than 3 cameras when I travel. Each one has a purpose as I have found there is no "perfect" camera.

I use a little Fuji Finepix F-20 that I can clip on my belt about the size of a Blackberry or cell phone. It's great in low light situations and when you don't want or can't carry a bigger camera. Like when we go bike riding in the canyon here.

I also have a medium size Olympus SP-510UZ. It's a great P&S that has served me well and I will probably take it to the KC game this year. I have a 1.7 teleconverter for it and it will give me much more reach from the top of the stands than the new DSLR will. It should be bright and sunny that day, so it will get some great pictures.

The new P&S cameras now a days are really great. You'll have a ton of fun with one.
Mike

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

My wife is in to photography. We've just neverh ad enough money to get a really nice camera./ She takes really good pictures even with the cameras we have.

Mike, you look like you are READY to zoom in on some cheerleaders!!! :cheer:

*EDIT* I didn't see the end of Mikes post, I thought I was calling him out :D :lol:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Canadian Viking wrote:I will definitely be posting photos. I have a bunch up from previous trips at:

They are mostly of a trip to South Africa earlier this year. I will let you know when the photos from Mongolia go up. I am currently sitting in the airport in Dubai and cannot wait to get to Mongolia... only one more stop -- Beijing. I hate stop overs, but I love traveling.

SOmehow I don't think that photos of animals and the mongolian landscape will be able to compete with the photos of the cheer leaders... I know which ones I check more often! *grin* It will be great to see them "up close" with the new camera geer that you got! hehehe
I very much enjoyed the photos you have Jay. Especially the ones of Cape Town. Those were just fantastic. I also see you carry a variety of cameras just as I do. They all did a great job for you.

Be safe on your trip and have a good time. I will be looking forward to those Mongolia photos.
Mike

Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:My wife is in to photography. We've just neverh ad enough money to get a really nice camera./ She takes really good pictures even with the cameras we have.

Mike, you look like you are READY to zoom in on some cheerleaders!!! :cheer:

*EDIT* I didn't see the end of Mikes post, I thought I was calling him out :D :lol:
:lol:

Good to hear your wife takes great pictures with the cameras you have. That's one thing I found out a long time ago, is it's not so much the equipment but the person behind it. Some of the best photos I have seen are taken on very inexpensive equipment by people that understand photography. I am not in that category though. :(
Mike

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I thought you were talking about kid's toys for awhile lol! :lol:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Jay, every time I see an elephant, hippo, or rhino photo, I think of Jurrasic Park and the scene where they pet the braciosaur because it is a nice plant eater.

Complete idiots.

:injury:
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Canadian Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Minniman wrote:Jay, every time I see an elephant, hippo, or rhino photo, I think of Jurrasic Park and the scene where they pet the braciosaur because it is a nice plant eater.

Complete idiots.

:injury:
I got to within 20 yards of a rhino while on foot and I can't explain just how terrifying it was. I had one day on the walking safari where i was the only guest, so I went out with the tracker and the ranger on my own and we got much closer than they ever would with a group and it was awesome. I could not take any photos because we were so close and we had to constantly monitor the wind because rhinos can't see well, but they sure can hear and smell!

We got even closer to elephants while in the jeep and one night, i had an elephant eating just outside my tent! The jeep provided a sense of safety, but the thin layer of canvass didn't offer me much comfort with the elephant just outside.... I didn't sleep much that night.

Anyhoo, I am back from Mongolia and as promised, have posted sone photos. I haven't done much processing on them, so they are pretty raw (and some fairly dark), but feel free to have a look. I think that some of the pictures from the lake area will remind you of home... It sure reminded me of parts of Canada.

Cheers,

Jay