Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Two straight defensive HC's have not been good for us, shout or long term. I would go after Hackett, full steam ahead. He could really help whoever our new OC is. That would mean we have to go after a qualified DC that know how to do the job alone. :govikes:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:51 am

And finally, we have Erin Rodgers — who, as we all know, hates everybody. This is from a recent Pat McAfee podcast.
This is a little overdue, to be honest. He’s been around the game a long time. What he did in Jacksonville, I think, was pure magic, getting them within a quarter of the Super Bowl. He’s a great coach. I love spending time with him. He’s a fantastic teacher. He’s incredible in front of the room.
If the Vikings get this guy, I'm gonna get excited. Seriously. Read the article. You're welcome.
So Rodgers, knowing MN and Chicago are both looking for a HC, is selling his OC to the press?

Think about that for a minute...
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:37 pm
So Rodgers, knowing MN and Chicago are both looking for a HC, is selling his OC to the press?

The date on the story, at least at the link provided, is Sep 16, 2021, and neither the Bears nor the Vikings were looking for a HC at that time.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Did you guys realize that Raheem Morris, a “defensive guy,” was the wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons during their Super Bowl run and Matt Ryan’s MVP year? I did not realize that.

Also, we all remembered that he failed as a head coach with Tampa Bay. But what I didn’t know was that he was saddled with the lowest payroll in the NFL, and by a wide margin. They were barely over the league minimum salary requirement. And even with that, he got them to 10-6 in his second season. Not only that, he was only 32.

The more I learn about this guy, the more I like him. Of all the DCs, he’s the only one who had the ability to switch to offense for a time … and do very well at it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:40 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:37 pm

The date on the story, at least at the link provided, is Sep 16, 2021, and neither the Bears nor the Vikings were looking for a HC at that time.
A joke.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

My main concern with Raheem is attention to detail. I live in central FL and watch TB every game for past 20 years. Morris was constantly out coached, but he was a players favorite. Lots of energy, but energy doesn't always win, and a lot of times it looked like playground football.
Again, was only 32 and 1st go around as a HC.
Funny, just saw this...

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/rah ... ch-vacancy
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Just heard on KFAN that the two GM finalists are:

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah (second interview Tuesday)
Ryan Poles (second interview Wednesday)
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Don Martindale for defensive coord. anyone???
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I wasn’t a fan of the Todd Bowles interview, but after the Bucs blew their comeback against the Rams, I’m praying the Vikings don’t hire this guy.

Tony Dungy was right. How do you call an all-out blitz and leave a safety covering Cooper Kupp one-on-one with only a few seconds left in regulation? Let the Rams complete a 15-yard pass over the middle, and the clock runs out.

Just like Kellen Moore’s boneheaded draw call against the 49ers, this play call by Bowles should disqualify him. What you do in the biggest moments is probably the clearest indicator of who you are as a coach.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:49 am I wasn’t a fan of the Todd Bowles interview, but after the Bucs blew their comeback against the Rams, I’m praying the Vikings don’t hire this guy.

Tony Dungy was right. How do you call an all-out blitz and leave a safety covering Cooper Kupp one-on-one with only a few seconds left in regulation? Let the Rams complete a 15-yard pass over the middle, and the clock runs out.

Just like Kellen Moore’s boneheaded draw call against the 49ers, this play call by Bowles should disqualify him. What you do in the biggest moments is probably the clearest indicator of who you are as a coach.
This article claims the two candidates they like are Bowles and Quinn. Hopefully the GM they get will talk them out of this. But who knows if it is true.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

40for60 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:49 am I wasn’t a fan of the Todd Bowles interview, but after the Bucs blew their comeback against the Rams, I’m praying the Vikings don’t hire this guy.

This article claims the two candidates they like are Bowles and Quinn. Hopefully the GM they get will talk them out of this. But who knows if it is true.
https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/23/lea ... earch/amp/
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

40for60 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:45 am
40for60 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 am
https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/23/lea ... earch/amp/
That would really, really suck. Zimmer got called a choker for losing two games after having the lead in the 4th this past season. From 2015 to 2020 when Quinn was the HC of the Falcons he gave up 15 leads, over twice the amount Zimmer lost (6) during that time period.

Bowles wasn't much better, losing 6 games after having the lead in the 4th in his 3 seasons as the Jets HC.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

With the expected hiring of Mensah I have sources telling me that Morris is now the favorite to be the next coach. I'm quivering with excitement over the Mensah/Morris regime. :puke:
Breaking News: Mensah might favor 49ers DC Demeco Ryans. Either way not offensive HC candidates like most of us seem to prefer. Hoping for the best. .
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm With the expected hiring of Mensah I have sources telling me that Morris is now the favorite to be the next coach. I'm quivering with excitement over the Mensah/Morris regime. :puke:
Breaking News: Mensah might favor 49ers DC Demeco Ryans. Either way not offensive HC candidates like most of us seem to prefer. Hoping for the best. .
Who says most of us want an offensive HC?

I want somebody who can change the culture. I want a leader. I want someone who builds other leaders. From everything I’ve read, Raheem Morris is all of that.

And in case you weren’t aware, Raheem Morris served as the WR coach and passing game coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons. That would be the same Atlanta Falcons that led the league in offense, made Matt Ryan an MVP, and got to the Super Bowl. The guy is not a one-trick pony. And besides, a defensive coach who takes an actual interest in the offense can actually be really effective. Unless you call guys like Sean McDermott and Bill Belichick not effective.

I’m not sure about Adofo-Mensah. He’s an analytics guy. Ivy Leaguer. Former Wall St. day trader. But what about football? On one hand, he helped Cleveland build a heck of a roster. On the other hand, they made Baker Mayfield the No. 1 pick in the draft. I need more info. Lots more info.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm With the expected hiring of Mensah I have sources telling me that Morris is now the favorite to be the next coach. I'm quivering with excitement over the Mensah/Morris regime. :puke:
Who says most of us want an offensive HC?

I want somebody who can change the culture. I want a leader. I want someone who builds other leaders. From everything I’ve read, Raheem Morris is all of that.

And in case you weren’t aware, Raheem Morris served as the WR coach and passing game coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons. That would be the same Atlanta Falcons that led the league in offense, made Matt Ryan an MVP, and got to the Super Bowl. The guy is not a one-trick pony. And besides, a defensive coach who takes an actual interest in the offense can actually be really effective. Unless you call guys like Sean McDermott and Bill Belichick not effective.

I’m not sure about Adofo-Mensah. He’s an analytics guy. Ivy Leaguer. Former Wall St. day trader. But what about football? On one hand, he helped Cleveland build a heck of a roster. On the other hand, they made Baker Mayfield the No. 1 pick in the draft. I need more info. Lots more info.
The consensus of the board wanted an offensive guy. I didn't really care. I know Morris has at one time been involved with offense.