Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah
x 13

Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by Crax » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:53 pm

Figured we could have a thread about upcoming interviews/potential candidates from some of the other mixed together stuff

Confirmed Interviews so far:

Doug Pederson(Former Eagles head coach) also interviewing with Bears/Broncos- https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/11/int ... head-coach
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by VikingLord » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:10 pm

Crax wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:53 pm
Figured we could have a thread about upcoming interviews/potential candidates from some of the other mixed together stuff

Confirmed Interviews so far:

Doug Pederson(Former Eagles head coach) also interviewing with Bears/Broncos- https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/11/int ... head-coach
Not really excited about Pederson. He did fantastic in Philly for a while, but it seemed more like he managed to ride a bolt of lightning there rather than executed some great master plan. His final season was U.G.L.Y. Think I've seen enough of that type of inconsistency to last me a lifetime.

Also would not be happy if the Wilfs went ahead and hired a coach before they hire a GM.
0 x

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah
x 13

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by Crax » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:35 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:10 pm
Also would not be happy if the Wilfs went ahead and hired a coach before they hire a GM.
Does make you wonder if they are close to a deal there. Feel like it would be crazy to not have the new gm hire/interview the coach
0 x

4mnvikes1982
Practice Squad
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:07 pm
x 2

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by 4mnvikes1982 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:14 pm

I read they have interest in Lane Kiffin :?:
0 x

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah
x 13

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by Crax » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:23 am

4mnvikes1982 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:14 pm
I read they have interest in Lane Kiffin :?:
Sounds that way
https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-viki ... s-raiders/

I really hope not on that one
0 x

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 9068
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 259

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by Cliff » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:28 am

I will say after Zimmer I wouldn't mind seeing a more modern playbook.
0 x

User avatar
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm
x 54

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by IIsweet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 am

My concern with Kiffin is that he stays 2 years and leaves, every where he has been. Which may not be a bad thing.
That though also sends a message to the young players. Does he wear out his welcome?
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by VikingLord » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 am

Crax wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:35 pm
VikingLord wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:10 pm
Also would not be happy if the Wilfs went ahead and hired a coach before they hire a GM.
Does make you wonder if they are close to a deal there. Feel like it would be crazy to not have the new gm hire/interview the coach
If I were interviewing for a head coaching job with a pro team I need to know who the GM is before I make a decision knowing my relationship with him and our ability to work together is going to be the biggest key to my success.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by VikingLord » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:57 am

Looks like the Wilfs will hire the GM before the GM proceeds to hire a coach:

https://www.vikings.com/news/head-coach ... g-timeline
"Both searches are starting right away, but the GM is going to be our first selection, and then the GM will have input in the head coach," Wilf said.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8981
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1391

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:49 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:10 pm
Crax wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:53 pm
Figured we could have a thread about upcoming interviews/potential candidates from some of the other mixed together stuff

Confirmed Interviews so far:

Doug Pederson(Former Eagles head coach) also interviewing with Bears/Broncos- https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/11/int ... head-coach
Not really excited about Pederson. He did fantastic in Philly for a while, but it seemed more like he managed to ride a bolt of lightning there rather than executed some great master plan. His final season was U.G.L.Y. Think I've seen enough of that type of inconsistency to last me a lifetime.

Also would not be happy if the Wilfs went ahead and hired a coach before they hire a GM.
I think Pederson is a great candidate.

His Super Bowl win in Philly should not be considered a fluke or lightning in a bottle. Jeffrey Lurie and that organization are among the most caustic in the league. The fact that he won at all under those circumstances should be seen as a mark in his favor. The guy coaxed an MVP-caliber season out of Carson Wentz and won the Supr Bowl with his backup. Yes, the last season was ugly, but look into the organization before you blame Pederson.

The man understands that the head coach/quarterback relationship is the most important in football. Coming off Mike Zimmer, I’d want to explore that further.
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3904
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 145

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by 808vikingsfan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:42 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 am
Crax wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:35 pm


Does make you wonder if they are close to a deal there. Feel like it would be crazy to not have the new gm hire/interview the coach
If I were interviewing for a head coaching job with a pro team I need to know who the GM is before I make a decision knowing my relationship with him and our ability to work together is going to be the biggest key to my success.
And vice versa, if I were a GM, I'd want to hand pick my coach. They need to wait or it'll scare off a lot of candidates.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm
x 54

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by IIsweet » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 am

Great buddy of mine and I were talking last night. I have been on the Borgonzi or Peters trains for GM and he brought this name out and we both got excited. Louis Riddick. He is one of my favorite in game analysts.
He also understands that position as he has been there before. He has experience, understands the draft, and how to be a GM.
Thoughts ?

For HC, I still am a HUGE fan of a Joe Lombardi as HC and Joe Brady as OC. They worked together under Sean Payton in NO.
I also really like Byron Leftwich and think he could bring a great deal of excitement to the offense.
0 x

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah
x 13

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by Crax » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:33 am

Vegas released odds. Top two are Eric Bieniemy and Brian Daboll
https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/ ... y-favored/
0 x

CharVike
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 372

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by CharVike » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:01 am

Mike Garafolo
The #Vikings have requested permission to interview #Eagles execs Catherine Raiche and Brandon Brown for their general manager position, sources say.

Sources say don't mean much but this is what he posted.
1 x

CharVike
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 372

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by CharVike » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:34 am

IIsweet wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 am
My concern with Kiffin is that he stays 2 years and leaves, every where he has been. Which may not be a bad thing.
That though also sends a message to the young players. Does he wear out his welcome?
This guy looks like a loose cannon which I don't think fits with the Wilfs. Like this below.
Kiffin generated further controversy when he told wide receiver recruit Alshon Jeffery that if Jeffery chose the Gamecocks, "he would end up pumping gas for the rest of his life like all the other players from that state who had gone to South Carolina."
0 x