Cousins out Sunday night against GB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 472

Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:10 am

I hope Cousins is fine, and the odds say he will be, but from a football standpoint, I am excited to watch Mond make his first start in person Sunday...assuming Mannion doesn't come off of the Covid list.
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 401

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:12 am

Looks like we were both posting at the same time.
0 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3001
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 67

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by vikeinmontana » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:27 am

:lol:

This is so Vikings. Must-win game and we're down our starting QB.

Honestly, if I didn't see so many vaccinated people still get the virus I'd be really pissed. As it is it was inevitable and it's unfortunate but what can you do.

Maybe we'll shock the world Sunday night!
0 x
i'm ready for a beer.

User avatar
TSonn
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Michigan
x 129

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by TSonn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:37 am

vikeinmontana wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:27 am
:lol:

This is so Vikings. Must-win game and we're down our starting QB.

Honestly, if I didn't see so many vaccinated people still get the virus I'd be really pissed. As it is it was inevitable and it's unfortunate but what can you do.

Maybe we'll shock the world Sunday night!
Still would've had better chances at not getting it if he were vax'd and boostered. Maybe he'd still get it but test positive after the game. Or maybe he'd only test positive for a day or two and not miss the rest of the season.

Either way, Kirk's a ####, Zimmer is done, can't believe Mond isn't starting, can't wait for a complete rehaul on this consistently underperforming team, go Chiefs.
0 x

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 472

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 am

Crap, Mannion off of the Covid list.

I am glad he is fine but this is just so disappointing from a football standpoint.

Is there anyway we are knocked out of the playoffs by the start of the game does anyone know? Maybe if Zimmer's job isn't on the line in this game he goes to Mond?
0 x

User avatar
makila
Starter
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
x 43

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by makila » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:41 am

Just saw. Expected obviously, even he had admitted as much postgame last week.

Only thing I'll disagree with said above, it's not a must win. We don't want to make the 7 seed which shouldn't even exist. This team needs to be done.

The Vikings/Zimmer thing to do will be start Mannion (if off) / Sloter (and play them every snap) vs Mond. So we still can't see what Mond may be able to do.
1 x

User avatar
TSonn
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Michigan
x 129

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by TSonn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:42 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 am
Crap, Mannion off of the Covid list.

I am glad he is fine but this is just so disappointing from a football standpoint.

Is there anyway we are knocked out of the playoffs by the start of the game does anyone know? Maybe if Zimmer's job isn't on the line in this game he goes to Mond?
It's the most aggravating thing to know that we're not going to play Mond even though this game is the lowest of low expectations ever. Mond could go out and look like Josh Johnson out there and it would be completely understandable.

But Zimmer's gotta try to keep his job that he lost weeks ago and honestly should've lost years ago. Blerg.
4 x

User avatar
makila
Starter
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
x 43

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by makila » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:44 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 am
Crap, Mannion off of the Covid list.

I am glad he is fine but this is just so disappointing from a football standpoint.

Is there anyway we are knocked out of the playoffs by the start of the game does anyone know? Maybe if Zimmer's job isn't on the line in this game he goes to Mond?
Oh well that answers that if Mannion is off the list!

The scenario they need to make the playoffs is win out and we need 49ers or Eagles to lose. Both play this week prior to our Sunday night game.

It's got more nuances than that I know, possibly coming down to tie-breakers. That's the main points though. 49ers have Houston this week and Philly goes to WFT.

Edit, here's the details: https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/nfc ... -scenarios

Key points:

If the Vikings win out, FiveThirtyEight gives them a 65 percent chance to get into the playoffs, before you mess with any other results. If they lose a single game, their chances are below 5 percent (again, independent of other results). So it's possible for the Vikings to get in at 8-9, but it would take a miracle.

It's not quite as simple as the Vikings winning out and the Eagles losing a game, though. If the Vikings win out, the Eagles go 1-1, and the Saints also win out, the Saints would get in ahead of Minnesota and Philadelphia on a strength of victory tiebreaker. Those three teams would be 9-8, with 7-5 conference records and not enough common games between the three of them, so it would go to SOV, where the Saints are comfortably ahead.

Put simply, the Vikings would win individual head-to-head tiebreakers over the Saints or Eagles on common games or strength of victory, but the Saints would take it in a three-way tie between those teams.

The 49ers are still in the mix, too. Take the scenario where the Vikings, Eagles, and Saints all win out. If the 49ers also win out, they're in along with the Eagles. But if they drop a game — most likely to the Rams in Week 18 — the Vikings would get in and San Francisco would miss out. The Vikings can't win a head-to-head tiebreaker against SF, but if multiple teams are involved, they'd have a chance to beat them out on conference record (with a loss to the Rams) or potentially strength of victory.

If the Saints lose a game, the Vikings really need the Eagles to lose a game or the 49ers to lose out.

It's all rather complicated. There's also a way for the Vikings to stay alive even with a loss on Sunday if the Eagles and Falcons also lose. A Vikings loss and an Eagles win eliminates Minnesota.

The main point is this: the Vikings need to handle their own business and find a way to beat the Packers to keep their hopes alive. Fans should also be cheering for losses from the 49ers, Saints, Eagles, and Falcons.
Last edited by makila on Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
TSonn
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Michigan
x 129

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by TSonn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 am

You know who first started week 17 on a blistering cold December afternoon in Denver Colorado? Patrick Mahomes II.

#FreeMond
1 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:04 pm

What an absolute joke. Another offensive blunder by the guy that doesn’t have a clue what he has for talent on the offensive side of the ball because he pays zero attention to the offense.

I’ve been saying it all along he flat out refuses to play rookies on offense unless it’s an absolute necessity. Took weeks to start O’Neill, took forever to start Cleveland, took 3 games to get Jefferson in a full game. Refuses to play Wyatt Davis over Udoh or Dozier. Plays Sean mannion over mond. ZIMMER F###ING BLOWS. Until ownership realizes this, we will forever be stuck in the mud with mediocre Mike
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 292

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by Maelstrom88 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:23 pm

Now we get to see why they insist on bringing Mannion back every year.
0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 292

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by Maelstrom88 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:26 pm

0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 472

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:51 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:04 pm
What an absolute joke. Another offensive blunder by the guy that doesn’t have a clue what he has for talent on the offensive side of the ball because he pays zero attention to the offense.

I’ve been saying it all along he flat out refuses to play rookies on offense unless it’s an absolute necessity. Took weeks to start O’Neill, took forever to start Cleveland, took 3 games to get Jefferson in a full game. Refuses to play Wyatt Davis over Udoh or Dozier. Plays Sean mannion over mond. ZIMMER F###ING BLOWS. Until ownership realizes this, we will forever be stuck in the mud with mediocre Mike
I want to see Mond too but realistically Mannion gives Zimmer the best chance at winning on Sunday.
0 x

CharVike
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 372

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by CharVike » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:54 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:04 pm
What an absolute joke. Another offensive blunder by the guy that doesn’t have a clue what he has for talent on the offensive side of the ball because he pays zero attention to the offense.

I’ve been saying it all along he flat out refuses to play rookies on offense unless it’s an absolute necessity. Took weeks to start O’Neill, took forever to start Cleveland, took 3 games to get Jefferson in a full game. Refuses to play Wyatt Davis over Udoh or Dozier. Plays Sean mannion over mond. ZIMMER F###ING BLOWS. Until ownership realizes this, we will forever be stuck in the mud with mediocre Mike
Did you forget Bradbury was the stater the minute he signed his contract. Total stiff and once his contract is up he won't be on the team and more than likely out of the NFL. Davis looks like Dru Samia part 2. He's only on the roster because he was a draft pick. People need to get over this Mond stuff. He's many years away. He is a guy who tries to stare his primary WR open. It never works that way at the pro level. This years pick Darrisaw was the starter. Not exactly a dominating player. Shouldn't be starting and Zim is putting other players health at risk with him out there. Mannion is a horrible QB. They had no choice. There was nothing on the roster.
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 292

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by Maelstrom88 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:57 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:51 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:04 pm
What an absolute joke. Another offensive blunder by the guy that doesn’t have a clue what he has for talent on the offensive side of the ball because he pays zero attention to the offense.

I’ve been saying it all along he flat out refuses to play rookies on offense unless it’s an absolute necessity. Took weeks to start O’Neill, took forever to start Cleveland, took 3 games to get Jefferson in a full game. Refuses to play Wyatt Davis over Udoh or Dozier. Plays Sean mannion over mond. ZIMMER F###ING BLOWS. Until ownership realizes this, we will forever be stuck in the mud with mediocre Mike
I want to see Mond too but realistically Mannion gives Zimmer the best chance at winning on Sunday.
He does?

Mannion's Career NFL statistics as of Week 10, 2021
TD–INT:
0–3
Passing yards:
384
Completion percentage:
60.8
Passer rating:
57.5
Rushing yards:
-17

Bringing him back year after year should get Zimmer and Rick fired alone. Dude was drafted when the Rams were still in STL. Rams realized he wasn't back up material and let him go. Let's see, who is better at evaluating QBs?
1 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.