Vikings vs. Rams

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by VikingLord » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:10 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Well, there you go.

I said Special Teams would be a key to the game, and we basically lost the game on a punt return. Other than that, the game was even. The Vikings just aren't good enough to win games giving up touchdowns on special teams.

Proud of the defense. They played hard and held the Rams down for the most part. You're not going to shut that team out, but to pick Matthew Stafford three times and hang in there for most of the game was a good showing.

KJ Osborn had a nice game, but his drop at the goal line leading to the interception was so huge. Ball hit him right in the hands. Gotta bring that one in.

Tough game against a really good team. Both teams were down several players, but they were just a bit better thanks to the punt return.

Oh ... and it was nice to watch a game that didn't feature the referees. Very few flags, no blatantly bad calls that I can remember.
I'm not really proud of the defense. They gave up 159 yards rushing on a 4.8 average to a Rams team that came into the game averaging 103 yards per game on 4.1 yards per rush (23rd ranked rushing game in the league). They conceded big rush after big rush, often through huge holes to the run side or wide open cutback lanes. I watched the Vikings defensive ends repeatedly allow themselves to get sucked inside, leaving only the DBs on the back side to try to close down those cutbacks. And on the attack side the ends would get sealed inside and fail to do anything to force those wide sweeps inside.

It was really poor run defense yet again by the front 7. This is something we've seen from them all year long pretty much regardless of who has been in the lineup. Their best DL right now is Sheldon Richardson, a retread free agent signing. Prior to that their best DL was Everson Griffen, another retread free agent. Nobody in the front 7 was making plays against the run in this game, and the ones who have made them consistently against it all season are few and far between if there are any at all.

They also got precious little actual pressure on Matt Stafford who played probably one of the worst games I've seen him play. He made a lot of unforced errors today and to their credit the Vikings defense took some of those gifts. But this defense did not play playoff-caliber defense today. They were better than the offense, but not good. The pass defense wasn't great either but it wasn't as exposed as the run defense because the Rams never needed to expose it. Had they been forced to I'm sure we would have watched more 50-50 lob passes be completed or PI calls to keep Ram drives going. But despite Stafford being so generous, the Rams never trailed and never needed to push the issue.

The Vikings offense is just bad. Stats-wise, it looked like they were OK, but that is only because they had to try to play late-game catchup again and when they start winging it around in those situations they tend to pile up a bunch of largely meaningless yards. Whoop-dee-do. They couldn't run or pass consistently. They couldn't score until near the end. I can't really blame the poor performance on Cousins. I mean, his accuracy has been spotty as of late, but it's not like the WRs are getting open for him or the OL is blocking well for him. Speaking of that OL, wow. Spotty is being generous, but even if individual players play well, you've got spectacular, almost immediate failures by enough of them enough of the time that it really doesn't matter. Donald went by and around and through Darrisaw, Bradbury, and Udoh at least once each by my count, and it was probably worse than that. Mattison had some holes to run through, but more often than not he didn't. This "zone blocking athletic offensive line" concept needs to be sent to the trash bin. The Vikings need to find a center with some sand in his pants to stand up to interior bull rushes. Udoh is not a freakin' guard. He's a tackle and a marginal one at that. Darrisaw needs a full offseaon and to put in some film room time. He was abused today on several plays, both pass and run blocking. In short, the Vikings offense, for all their season-long stats, sucks. They have fatal flaws that simply cannot be overcome, even if they had a much better QB. That doesn't mean Cousins gets a pass, because he could be better too, but even if you put the league's better QBs back there they would still struggle against disruptive DLs. Their OL simply cannot hold up against fronts with physical, active DL.

They are out of the playoffs now and I suspect they will finish out of the playoffs. The Packers need to keep winning to get HFA throughout the playoffs and the refs seem inclined to help them achieve that. The Vikings would need to play at a level they have not played at so far this year to have a chance of winning in Lambeau next week. One more loss should finally cook this team's goose for the season.

And then we all will wait with baited breath to see if the Wilfs have finally had enough of this nonsense, and if they have, to what extent are they willing to go to get the ship turned in the right direction. My sincere hope is that they start with Spielman and work their way down, including to the players, and starting with the players who did not get vaccinated, even if that means half the team. Get rid of the me-firsters and start looking for people who do what guys like Cook say.
1 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Well, there you go.

I said Special Teams would be a key to the game, and we basically lost the game on a punt return. Other than that, the game was even. The Vikings just aren't good enough to win games giving up touchdowns on special teams.

Proud of the defense. They played hard and held the Rams down for the most part. You're not going to shut that team out, but to pick Matthew Stafford three times and hang in there for most of the game was a good showing.

KJ Osborn had a nice game, but his drop at the goal line leading to the interception was so huge. Ball hit him right in the hands. Gotta bring that one in.

Tough game against a really good team. Both teams were down several players, but they were just a bit better thanks to the punt return.

Oh ... and it was nice to watch a game that didn't feature the referees. Very few flags, no blatantly bad calls that I can remember.
I'm not really proud of the defense. They gave up 159 yards rushing on a 4.8 average to a Rams team that came into the game averaging 103 yards per game on 4.1 yards per rush (23rd ranked rushing game in the league). They conceded big rush after big rush, often through huge holes to the run side or wide open cutback lanes. I watched the Vikings defensive ends repeatedly allow themselves to get sucked inside, leaving only the DBs on the back side to try to close down those cutbacks. And on the attack side the ends would get sealed inside and fail to do anything to force those wide sweeps inside.

It was really poor run defense yet again by the front 7. This is something we've seen from them all year long pretty much regardless of who has been in the lineup. Their best DL right now is Sheldon Richardson, a retread free agent signing. Prior to that their best DL was Everson Griffen, another retread free agent. Nobody in the front 7 was making plays against the run in this game, and the ones who have made them consistently against it all season are few and far between if there are any at all.

They also got precious little actual pressure on Matt Stafford who played probably one of the worst games I've seen him play. He made a lot of unforced errors today and to their credit the Vikings defense took some of those gifts. But this defense did not play playoff-caliber defense today. They were better than the offense, but not good. The pass defense wasn't great either but it wasn't as exposed as the run defense because the Rams never needed to expose it. Had they been forced to I'm sure we would have watched more 50-50 lob passes be completed or PI calls to keep Ram drives going. But despite Stafford being so generous, the Rams never trailed and never needed to push the issue.

The Vikings offense is just bad. Stats-wise, it looked like they were OK, but that is only because they had to try to play late-game catchup again and when they start winging it around in those situations they tend to pile up a bunch of largely meaningless yards. Whoop-dee-do. They couldn't run or pass consistently. They couldn't score until near the end. I can't really blame the poor performance on Cousins. I mean, his accuracy has been spotty as of late, but it's not like the WRs are getting open for him or the OL is blocking well for him. Speaking of that OL, wow. Spotty is being generous, but even if individual players play well, you've got spectacular, almost immediate failures by enough of them enough of the time that it really doesn't matter. Donald went by and around and through Darrisaw, Bradbury, and Udoh at least once each by my count, and it was probably worse than that. Mattison had some holes to run through, but more often than not he didn't. This "zone blocking athletic offensive line" concept needs to be sent to the trash bin. The Vikings need to find a center with some sand in his pants to stand up to interior bull rushes. Udoh is not a freakin' guard. He's a tackle and a marginal one at that. Darrisaw needs a full offseaon and to put in some film room time. He was abused today on several plays, both pass and run blocking. In short, the Vikings offense, for all their season-long stats, sucks. They have fatal flaws that simply cannot be overcome, even if they had a much better QB. That doesn't mean Cousins gets a pass, because he could be better too, but even if you put the league's better QBs back there they would still struggle against disruptive DLs. Their OL simply cannot hold up against fronts with physical, active DL.

They are out of the playoffs now and I suspect they will finish out of the playoffs. The Packers need to keep winning to get HFA throughout the playoffs and the refs seem inclined to help them achieve that. The Vikings would need to play at a level they have not played at so far this year to have a chance of winning in Lambeau next week. One more loss should finally cook this team's goose for the season.

And then we all will wait with baited breath to see if the Wilfs have finally had enough of this nonsense, and if they have, to what extent are they willing to go to get the ship turned in the right direction. My sincere hope is that they start with Spielman and work their way down, including to the players, and starting with the players who did not get vaccinated, even if that means half the team. Get rid of the me-firsters and start looking for people who do what guys like Cook say.
I’m sorry but getting rid of all the players that didn’t get vaccinated is a really dumb thing to go off of in terms of roster management. So we cut Thielen, Harrison, dalvin, etc? Literally makes zero sense. The vaccine has nothing to do with football. It’s personal choice.
2 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 292

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm
VikingLord wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:10 pm


I'm not really proud of the defense. They gave up 159 yards rushing on a 4.8 average to a Rams team that came into the game averaging 103 yards per game on 4.1 yards per rush (23rd ranked rushing game in the league). They conceded big rush after big rush, often through huge holes to the run side or wide open cutback lanes. I watched the Vikings defensive ends repeatedly allow themselves to get sucked inside, leaving only the DBs on the back side to try to close down those cutbacks. And on the attack side the ends would get sealed inside and fail to do anything to force those wide sweeps inside.

It was really poor run defense yet again by the front 7. This is something we've seen from them all year long pretty much regardless of who has been in the lineup. Their best DL right now is Sheldon Richardson, a retread free agent signing. Prior to that their best DL was Everson Griffen, another retread free agent. Nobody in the front 7 was making plays against the run in this game, and the ones who have made them consistently against it all season are few and far between if there are any at all.

They also got precious little actual pressure on Matt Stafford who played probably one of the worst games I've seen him play. He made a lot of unforced errors today and to their credit the Vikings defense took some of those gifts. But this defense did not play playoff-caliber defense today. They were better than the offense, but not good. The pass defense wasn't great either but it wasn't as exposed as the run defense because the Rams never needed to expose it. Had they been forced to I'm sure we would have watched more 50-50 lob passes be completed or PI calls to keep Ram drives going. But despite Stafford being so generous, the Rams never trailed and never needed to push the issue.

The Vikings offense is just bad. Stats-wise, it looked like they were OK, but that is only because they had to try to play late-game catchup again and when they start winging it around in those situations they tend to pile up a bunch of largely meaningless yards. Whoop-dee-do. They couldn't run or pass consistently. They couldn't score until near the end. I can't really blame the poor performance on Cousins. I mean, his accuracy has been spotty as of late, but it's not like the WRs are getting open for him or the OL is blocking well for him. Speaking of that OL, wow. Spotty is being generous, but even if individual players play well, you've got spectacular, almost immediate failures by enough of them enough of the time that it really doesn't matter. Donald went by and around and through Darrisaw, Bradbury, and Udoh at least once each by my count, and it was probably worse than that. Mattison had some holes to run through, but more often than not he didn't. This "zone blocking athletic offensive line" concept needs to be sent to the trash bin. The Vikings need to find a center with some sand in his pants to stand up to interior bull rushes. Udoh is not a freakin' guard. He's a tackle and a marginal one at that. Darrisaw needs a full offseaon and to put in some film room time. He was abused today on several plays, both pass and run blocking. In short, the Vikings offense, for all their season-long stats, sucks. They have fatal flaws that simply cannot be overcome, even if they had a much better QB. That doesn't mean Cousins gets a pass, because he could be better too, but even if you put the league's better QBs back there they would still struggle against disruptive DLs. Their OL simply cannot hold up against fronts with physical, active DL.

They are out of the playoffs now and I suspect they will finish out of the playoffs. The Packers need to keep winning to get HFA throughout the playoffs and the refs seem inclined to help them achieve that. The Vikings would need to play at a level they have not played at so far this year to have a chance of winning in Lambeau next week. One more loss should finally cook this team's goose for the season.

And then we all will wait with baited breath to see if the Wilfs have finally had enough of this nonsense, and if they have, to what extent are they willing to go to get the ship turned in the right direction. My sincere hope is that they start with Spielman and work their way down, including to the players, and starting with the players who did not get vaccinated, even if that means half the team. Get rid of the me-firsters and start looking for people who do what guys like Cook say.
I’m sorry but getting rid of all the players that didn’t get vaccinated is a really dumb thing to go off of in terms of roster management. So we cut Thielen, Harrison, dalvin, etc? Literally makes zero sense. The vaccine has nothing to do with football. It’s personal choice.
Join the Borg. Resistance is futile. :assimilate
0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

User avatar
halfgiz
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
x 76

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by halfgiz » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Was it worth it for AT to return today only to re-injure his ankle?
To me I thought it wasn’t a good move to rush him back. I would imagine that he is done for the season now.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by VikingLord » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:11 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm
The vaccine has nothing to do with football.
Why did Cook miss this game against the Rams?
0 x

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3904
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 145

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by 808vikingsfan » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm
I’m sorry but getting rid of all the players that didn’t get vaccinated is a really dumb thing to go off of in terms of roster management. So we cut Thielen, Harrison, dalvin, etc? Literally makes zero sense. The vaccine has nothing to do with football. It’s personal choice.
Let's forget what's happening in the world for the sake of argument.

NFL has a vaccine policy (let's forget it's the political COVID19 vaccine). NFL states if you take the vaccine and catch a virus (measles, chicken pox, whatever), you can come back to work at anytime as long as you test negative twice before the next game. If you don't take the vaccine and become infected, you have to sit out minimum 10 days of when you test positive. That means you guarantee will miss one game, possibly two. For star players, I think it's unacceptable. Look at what happen to Cook. If he was vaccinated, he could have possibly played today and made a difference in a game where the offense was struggling. His choice actually now becomes the difference between the Vikings making and missing the playoffs. Your "personal" choice argument now affects the entire organization, possibly affecting peoples jobs. . It's a choice, but not a personal one. Imagine if the Vikings were good this year and were in a race for HFA and this happened. Hard enough for players to stay healthy.

So yes, I'd kick Cousins, Cook, Thielen, Mattison, Smith off the team. You can't build a cohesive team with selfish players.
1 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
TSonn
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Michigan
x 129

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by TSonn » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:19 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:27 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm
I’m sorry but getting rid of all the players that didn’t get vaccinated is a really dumb thing to go off of in terms of roster management. So we cut Thielen, Harrison, dalvin, etc? Literally makes zero sense. The vaccine has nothing to do with football. It’s personal choice.
Let's forget what's happening in the world for the sake of argument.

NFL has a vaccine policy (let's forget it's the political COVID19 vaccine). NFL states if you take the vaccine and catch a virus (measles, chicken pox, whatever), you can come back to work at anytime as long as you test negative twice before the next game. If you don't take the vaccine and become infected, you have to sit out minimum 10 days of when you test positive. That means you guarantee will miss one game, possibly two. For star players, I think it's unacceptable. Look at what happen to Cook. If he was vaccinated, he could have possibly played today and made a difference in a game where the offense was struggling. His choice actually now becomes the difference between the Vikings making and missing the playoffs. Your "personal" choice argument now affects the entire organization, possibly affecting peoples jobs. . It's a choice, but not a personal one. Imagine if the Vikings were good this year and were in a race for HFA and this happened. Hard enough for players to stay healthy.

So yes, I'd kick Cousins, Cook, Thielen, Mattison, Smith off the team. You can't build a cohesive team with selfish players.
I feel the same way. Couldn't believe it when Smith, Thielen, and Cook were named captains too. Makes all the losing this season way less frustrating at least.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8981
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1391

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:33 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Well, there you go.

I said Special Teams would be a key to the game, and we basically lost the game on a punt return. Other than that, the game was even. The Vikings just aren't good enough to win games giving up touchdowns on special teams.

Proud of the defense. They played hard and held the Rams down for the most part. You're not going to shut that team out, but to pick Matthew Stafford three times and hang in there for most of the game was a good showing.

KJ Osborn had a nice game, but his drop at the goal line leading to the interception was so huge. Ball hit him right in the hands. Gotta bring that one in.

Tough game against a really good team. Both teams were down several players, but they were just a bit better thanks to the punt return.

Oh ... and it was nice to watch a game that didn't feature the referees. Very few flags, no blatantly bad calls that I can remember.
I'm not really proud of the defense. They gave up 159 yards rushing on a 4.8 average to a Rams team that came into the game averaging 103 yards per game on 4.1 yards per rush (23rd ranked rushing game in the league). They conceded big rush after big rush, often through huge holes to the run side or wide open cutback lanes. I watched the Vikings defensive ends repeatedly allow themselves to get sucked inside, leaving only the DBs on the back side to try to close down those cutbacks. And on the attack side the ends would get sealed inside and fail to do anything to force those wide sweeps inside.

It was really poor run defense yet again by the front 7. This is something we've seen from them all year long pretty much regardless of who has been in the lineup. Their best DL right now is Sheldon Richardson, a retread free agent signing. Prior to that their best DL was Everson Griffen, another retread free agent. Nobody in the front 7 was making plays against the run in this game, and the ones who have made them consistently against it all season are few and far between if there are any at all.

They also got precious little actual pressure on Matt Stafford who played probably one of the worst games I've seen him play. He made a lot of unforced errors today and to their credit the Vikings defense took some of those gifts. But this defense did not play playoff-caliber defense today. They were better than the offense, but not good. The pass defense wasn't great either but it wasn't as exposed as the run defense because the Rams never needed to expose it. Had they been forced to I'm sure we would have watched more 50-50 lob passes be completed or PI calls to keep Ram drives going. But despite Stafford being so generous, the Rams never trailed and never needed to push the issue.

The Vikings offense is just bad. Stats-wise, it looked like they were OK, but that is only because they had to try to play late-game catchup again and when they start winging it around in those situations they tend to pile up a bunch of largely meaningless yards. Whoop-dee-do. They couldn't run or pass consistently. They couldn't score until near the end. I can't really blame the poor performance on Cousins. I mean, his accuracy has been spotty as of late, but it's not like the WRs are getting open for him or the OL is blocking well for him. Speaking of that OL, wow. Spotty is being generous, but even if individual players play well, you've got spectacular, almost immediate failures by enough of them enough of the time that it really doesn't matter. Donald went by and around and through Darrisaw, Bradbury, and Udoh at least once each by my count, and it was probably worse than that. Mattison had some holes to run through, but more often than not he didn't. This "zone blocking athletic offensive line" concept needs to be sent to the trash bin. The Vikings need to find a center with some sand in his pants to stand up to interior bull rushes. Udoh is not a freakin' guard. He's a tackle and a marginal one at that. Darrisaw needs a full offseaon and to put in some film room time. He was abused today on several plays, both pass and run blocking. In short, the Vikings offense, for all their season-long stats, sucks. They have fatal flaws that simply cannot be overcome, even if they had a much better QB. That doesn't mean Cousins gets a pass, because he could be better too, but even if you put the league's better QBs back there they would still struggle against disruptive DLs. Their OL simply cannot hold up against fronts with physical, active DL.

They are out of the playoffs now and I suspect they will finish out of the playoffs. The Packers need to keep winning to get HFA throughout the playoffs and the refs seem inclined to help them achieve that. The Vikings would need to play at a level they have not played at so far this year to have a chance of winning in Lambeau next week. One more loss should finally cook this team's goose for the season.

And then we all will wait with baited breath to see if the Wilfs have finally had enough of this nonsense, and if they have, to what extent are they willing to go to get the ship turned in the right direction. My sincere hope is that they start with Spielman and work their way down, including to the players, and starting with the players who did not get vaccinated, even if that means half the team. Get rid of the me-firsters and start looking for people who do what guys like Cook say.
OK. You care about stats when it’s the defense and it supports your argument, and you don’t care about stats when it’s the offense and you deem it meaningless. Got it.

Look, style points don’t count. Fact is, in spite of your analysis, the Vikings would have at least tied the game in the third quarter and may well have taken the lead if not for the stupid punt return. The defense, which you so brutally criticize, started the third quarter with two interceptions and a 3-and-out. Against a clearly superior team, I’d say that’s not too bad.

The team has underachieved all year. Anybody with eyes and half a brain can see that. But to say the defense was a total wasteland today is simply not true.
3 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 230

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:49 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:33 pm
VikingLord wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:10 pm


I'm not really proud of the defense. They gave up 159 yards rushing on a 4.8 average to a Rams team that came into the game averaging 103 yards per game on 4.1 yards per rush (23rd ranked rushing game in the league). They conceded big rush after big rush, often through huge holes to the run side or wide open cutback lanes. I watched the Vikings defensive ends repeatedly allow themselves to get sucked inside, leaving only the DBs on the back side to try to close down those cutbacks. And on the attack side the ends would get sealed inside and fail to do anything to force those wide sweeps inside.

It was really poor run defense yet again by the front 7. This is something we've seen from them all year long pretty much regardless of who has been in the lineup. Their best DL right now is Sheldon Richardson, a retread free agent signing. Prior to that their best DL was Everson Griffen, another retread free agent. Nobody in the front 7 was making plays against the run in this game, and the ones who have made them consistently against it all season are few and far between if there are any at all.

They also got precious little actual pressure on Matt Stafford who played probably one of the worst games I've seen him play. He made a lot of unforced errors today and to their credit the Vikings defense took some of those gifts. But this defense did not play playoff-caliber defense today. They were better than the offense, but not good. The pass defense wasn't great either but it wasn't as exposed as the run defense because the Rams never needed to expose it. Had they been forced to I'm sure we would have watched more 50-50 lob passes be completed or PI calls to keep Ram drives going. But despite Stafford being so generous, the Rams never trailed and never needed to push the issue.

The Vikings offense is just bad. Stats-wise, it looked like they were OK, but that is only because they had to try to play late-game catchup again and when they start winging it around in those situations they tend to pile up a bunch of largely meaningless yards. Whoop-dee-do. They couldn't run or pass consistently. They couldn't score until near the end. I can't really blame the poor performance on Cousins. I mean, his accuracy has been spotty as of late, but it's not like the WRs are getting open for him or the OL is blocking well for him. Speaking of that OL, wow. Spotty is being generous, but even if individual players play well, you've got spectacular, almost immediate failures by enough of them enough of the time that it really doesn't matter. Donald went by and around and through Darrisaw, Bradbury, and Udoh at least once each by my count, and it was probably worse than that. Mattison had some holes to run through, but more often than not he didn't. This "zone blocking athletic offensive line" concept needs to be sent to the trash bin. The Vikings need to find a center with some sand in his pants to stand up to interior bull rushes. Udoh is not a freakin' guard. He's a tackle and a marginal one at that. Darrisaw needs a full offseaon and to put in some film room time. He was abused today on several plays, both pass and run blocking. In short, the Vikings offense, for all their season-long stats, sucks. They have fatal flaws that simply cannot be overcome, even if they had a much better QB. That doesn't mean Cousins gets a pass, because he could be better too, but even if you put the league's better QBs back there they would still struggle against disruptive DLs. Their OL simply cannot hold up against fronts with physical, active DL.

They are out of the playoffs now and I suspect they will finish out of the playoffs. The Packers need to keep winning to get HFA throughout the playoffs and the refs seem inclined to help them achieve that. The Vikings would need to play at a level they have not played at so far this year to have a chance of winning in Lambeau next week. One more loss should finally cook this team's goose for the season.

And then we all will wait with baited breath to see if the Wilfs have finally had enough of this nonsense, and if they have, to what extent are they willing to go to get the ship turned in the right direction. My sincere hope is that they start with Spielman and work their way down, including to the players, and starting with the players who did not get vaccinated, even if that means half the team. Get rid of the me-firsters and start looking for people who do what guys like Cook say.
OK. You care about stats when it’s the defense and it supports your argument, and you don’t care about stats when it’s the offense and you deem it meaningless. Got it.

Look, style points don’t count. Fact is, in spite of your analysis, the Vikings would have at least tied the game in the third quarter and may well have taken the lead if not for the stupid punt return. The defense, which you so brutally criticize, started the third quarter with two interceptions and a 3-and-out. Against a clearly superior team, I’d say that’s not too bad.

The team has underachieved all year. Anybody with eyes and half a brain can see that. But to say the defense was a total wasteland today is simply not true.
I'm usually with you zkapp but the defense was bad today. Stafford made errors when he wasnt forced. Most of the game our rush against average was over 7. This defense is bad.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:08 am

VikingLord wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:11 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm
The vaccine has nothing to do with football.
Why did Cook miss this game against the Rams?
Ok? And it’s the nature of the beast. Not only has this board gone sour as of late but now we’re going to have this stupid as# argument?

Adam Thielen and Dalvin Cook are literally the most TEAM guys on this entire Vikings squad. They literally put their blood, sweat and tears into this football team. And you’re going to sit here and say they are selfish for not getting the vaccine which is 100% a personal choice? That is literally fricken asinine.

So that must mean the colts should cut Darius Leonard and Quinton Nelson? And the list goes on across the league? Practically nfl teams would have to cut a drastic amount of their roster down according to what you believe. That is an absolute joke.

It’s their body and their life. If they don’t get it that doesn’t make them selfish. It’s all based on what they believe. I was practically forced to get it being a teacher but was holding off for the longest time because my wife and I were trying to have another baby and were already struggling to begin with. And this thing hasn’t been out long enough to even know if there is any effects on fertility or most of all, long term possibilities. Does that make my wife and I selfish? Because we wanted to have a child? My best friend and his wife didn’t get it for the same reasons. And they’ve been struggling to have children for 3 years. Why add in one more possibility to jeopardize that when you are already struggling to have a kid to begin with? They are selfish for that? You might wanna check yourself brother.

Point being, you don’t know the reasoning behind why these guys didn’t get it. It very well could’ve been a similar reason to mine. Which is 1000% valid. Your family and your life come first, not football. If they didn’t get it, who gives a flying ####? Sure you’re out longer and that sucks but so be it. Clearly they have their reasons as they should.

I can’t even believe I’m having this argument right now on here. Like this is an actual argument on here. Wow.

Do myself and many others a favor….

1.) don’t come on here saying not getting the vaccine is selfish when you have zero clue of anyone’s reasoning behind it, including my own.

And 2.) don’t apply for any GM jobs in the near future

Sincerely, the selfish people.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by VikingLord » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:10 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:33 pm
OK. You care about stats when it’s the defense and it supports your argument, and you don’t care about stats when it’s the offense and you deem it meaningless. Got it.
Both the offense and defense were equally crap today in an at-home, must-win to have a realistic chance to make the playoffs game.

Not sure where you got what you got from what I wrote but that's how I saw it.
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:33 pm
Look, style points don’t count. Fact is, in spite of your analysis, the Vikings would have at least tied the game in the third quarter and may well have taken the lead if not for the stupid punt return. The defense, which you so brutally criticize, started the third quarter with two interceptions and a 3-and-out. Against a clearly superior team, I’d say that’s not too bad.
I'm just tired of the "almost" or "if they just" analysis. It is THE defining characteristic of the Mike Zimmer/Rick Spielman era. It rears it's head yet again.

The INTs were mostly gifts from Stafford more than incredible plays by any Viking. The Vikings even dropped two additional ones (Dantzler on one that literally was thrown right to him and another one in the end zone).
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:33 pm
The team has underachieved all year. Anybody with eyes and half a brain can see that. But to say the defense was a total wasteland today is simply not true.
It depends on how one defines "wasteland" I guess.

The way I saw it, the defense continued to play exactly the same way they've played all year against pretty much every opponent. The main difference, if there was one, is that the opposing QB gifted them multiple turnovers, including two inside his own 20 yard line I believe, which would give one the impression the defense created those turnovers by exceptional play instead of the opposing QB simply making boneheaded decisions.

I understand if you see it differently, but from what I saw neither the defense nor the offense of the Vikings played playoff caliber football today. They looked like a team that has mailed in the season.
Last edited by VikingLord on Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 am

808vikingsfan wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:27 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm
I’m sorry but getting rid of all the players that didn’t get vaccinated is a really dumb thing to go off of in terms of roster management. So we cut Thielen, Harrison, dalvin, etc? Literally makes zero sense. The vaccine has nothing to do with football. It’s personal choice.
Let's forget what's happening in the world for the sake of argument.

NFL has a vaccine policy (let's forget it's the political COVID19 vaccine). NFL states if you take the vaccine and catch a virus (measles, chicken pox, whatever), you can come back to work at anytime as long as you test negative twice before the next game. If you don't take the vaccine and become infected, you have to sit out minimum 10 days of when you test positive. That means you guarantee will miss one game, possibly two. For star players, I think it's unacceptable. Look at what happen to Cook. If he was vaccinated, he could have possibly played today and made a difference in a game where the offense was struggling. His choice actually now becomes the difference between the Vikings making and missing the playoffs. Your "personal" choice argument now affects the entire organization, possibly affecting peoples jobs. . It's a choice, but not a personal one. Imagine if the Vikings were good this year and were in a race for HFA and this happened. Hard enough for players to stay healthy.

So yes, I'd kick Cousins, Cook, Thielen, Mattison, Smith off the team. You can't build a cohesive team with selfish players.
Lol you guys are off your rockers. It’s a choice but not a personal one? Uh, what? But yeah Adam f###ing Thielen is a selfish player :roll: The colts are 8-2 in their last 10 games but lost Nelson and Leonard to covid and being unvaccinated. Arguably their two best players. Gotta cut them! Can’t build a cohesive team with those two a-holes. My eyes couldn’t roll back further into my own head
3 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 292

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by Maelstrom88 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:30 am

The run defense was awful today and has been heavily invested in by the braintrust. I'm pretty sure their LT was out as well and he's probably their best lineman. Embarrassing.
1 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 472

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:16 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 am
808vikingsfan wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:27 pm


Let's forget what's happening in the world for the sake of argument.

NFL has a vaccine policy (let's forget it's the political COVID19 vaccine). NFL states if you take the vaccine and catch a virus (measles, chicken pox, whatever), you can come back to work at anytime as long as you test negative twice before the next game. If you don't take the vaccine and become infected, you have to sit out minimum 10 days of when you test positive. That means you guarantee will miss one game, possibly two. For star players, I think it's unacceptable. Look at what happen to Cook. If he was vaccinated, he could have possibly played today and made a difference in a game where the offense was struggling. His choice actually now becomes the difference between the Vikings making and missing the playoffs. Your "personal" choice argument now affects the entire organization, possibly affecting peoples jobs. . It's a choice, but not a personal one. Imagine if the Vikings were good this year and were in a race for HFA and this happened. Hard enough for players to stay healthy.

So yes, I'd kick Cousins, Cook, Thielen, Mattison, Smith off the team. You can't build a cohesive team with selfish players.
Lol you guys are off your rockers. It’s a choice but not a personal one? Uh, what? But yeah Adam f###ing Thielen is a selfish player :roll: The colts are 8-2 in their last 10 games but lost Nelson and Leonard to covid and being unvaccinated. Arguably their two best players. Gotta cut them! Can’t build a cohesive team with those two a-holes. My eyes couldn’t roll back further into my own head
I don't agree with you often, but I do here.

The rules around vaccinated versus unvaccinated players are based on outdated science and are a big reason Covid is spreading so quickly across the NFL. If the NFL tested everyone daily, instead of just the unvaccinated, the spread would have gone down significantly, they know this, yet that isn't their policy. Why? Because it isn't about stopping the spread, it is about optics. If you have a beef with Covid affecting your favorite team, it shouldn't be with the players being infected, it should be with the NFL not doing enough to stop the spread.
2 x

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 472

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:50 am

Interesting to read that a defense that essentially scored 10 of our 23 points, and held the #1 scoring offense in the NFL to 23 points was part of the issue yesterday.

To put what the D did in perspective, the Rams, prior to this game averaged 2.78 points per drive. The Vikings D gave up 2.09 points per drive, almost a full point less than they typically give up. For those of you who struggle with per drive stats, if the Vikings had given up per drive what the Rams average, not at their best, but on their average day score, they would have given up 31 points.

It was an outstanding day for the D, and a running back picking up 131 yards in a game where the O struggled to move the football for most of the game doesn't change that.

Offensively, the Vikings O scored 13 points that weren't because of the D. That is 1.3 points per drive on the 10 other drives where they weren't gifted scores, .6 less than the LAR give up per drive on average.

Our offense sucked yesterday despite the D doing its job. The D came to play, the O did not.
2 x