Steelers @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:20 pm
Dmizzle0 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Thanks for posting this, I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread to bring this up.
I put it here because we just beat the Steelers. Seemed like a good place to go.

It's such a weird league. We had the Cardinals beat on the road until we missed the chip shot. We lose to winless Detroit. Then Detroit beats the heck out of the Cardinals. We beat the Steelers, who then beat the AFC's top seed.

This is why I'm not giving up on the season. That and I've taken a lot of metaphoric hits to the head in 50+ years as a Vikings fan.
Right on.

This is the time of year when teams that make noise in the playoffs start to get hot and get going anyway. Last year the Bucs were 7-5 at one point. Got hot in December and rode that momentum into the playoffs as a wildcard. Lots of examples of similar teams over the history of the league and I see no reason why the Vikings can't be another example of that this year. They have the talent. They've played literally every team close this year, good or bad. No reason to give up on them.

Also no reason to expect much from them. If they do surprise us this year, it will be to the upside, and all things considered I'd much rather be surprised in a good way than have expectations for them and be surprised in a bad way. I mean, just look at the Cardinals as an example of that. Two losses in a row now, one of which was a bad loss to the Lions. At least when the Vikings lost to the Lions it was a close game the Vikings could have/should have won. But the Cardinals got their hats handed to them and now are going to feel a lot of pressure.

The Vikings? Hey, if they go on a tear that will be fantastic, but I don't expect that to happen and I doubt anyone else does either. So if they do it will just be great. If they don't, well, nobody expected them to do it so we just start looking forward to the offseason.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:17 pm Well, the Steelers beat the Titans, who were vying for the No. 1 seed in the AFC.

And Detroit beat the Cardinals, who were No. 1 in the NFC.

It's a weird league this year. Anything is possible.
It seems the Titians always find a way not to get hot. he Cards probably got hot at the wrong time. We played them and I don't consider them overwhelming by any stretch. That was at their place also. I'm not sold on there QB. The Lions have a terrible record but like most teams they've lost some close games. The NFL is always weird. In our conference I still see it coming down to Rodgers and Brady. I think the 49ers have a solid team. Of course Jimmy G can fall to pieces and that is a concern. Rodgers or Brady won't do that. But he does throw the ball and isn't some dink and dunk guy. But that team plays hard football and I think they are coached well.They are a team I've been impressed with. The Rams to me get much praise but they can fall off the table and their QB can go though stretches where things don't go well. Rodgers had no problem against them so something is lacking on that side of the ball.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:39 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:20 pm
I put it here because we just beat the Steelers. Seemed like a good place to go.

It's such a weird league. We had the Cardinals beat on the road until we missed the chip shot. We lose to winless Detroit. Then Detroit beats the heck out of the Cardinals. We beat the Steelers, who then beat the AFC's top seed.

This is why I'm not giving up on the season. That and I've taken a lot of metaphoric hits to the head in 50+ years as a Vikings fan.
Right on.

This is the time of year when teams that make noise in the playoffs start to get hot and get going anyway. Last year the Bucs were 7-5 at one point. Got hot in December and rode that momentum into the playoffs as a wildcard. Lots of examples of similar teams over the history of the league and I see no reason why the Vikings can't be another example of that this year. They have the talent. They've played literally every team close this year, good or bad. No reason to give up on them.

Also no reason to expect much from them. If they do surprise us this year, it will be to the upside, and all things considered I'd much rather be surprised in a good way than have expectations for them and be surprised in a bad way. I mean, just look at the Cardinals as an example of that. Two losses in a row now, one of which was a bad loss to the Lions. At least when the Vikings lost to the Lions it was a close game the Vikings could have/should have won. But the Cardinals got their hats handed to them and now are going to feel a lot of pressure.

The Vikings? Hey, if they go on a tear that will be fantastic, but I don't expect that to happen and I doubt anyone else does either. So if they do it will just be great. If they don't, well, nobody expected them to do it so we just start looking forward to the offseason.
We give away games and that started right from the start. It wouldn't shock me if the Bears beat us. Division games are always tough and this Field guy can make things happen and he also can make some big mistakes. If we go in there and play Zim ball it will be a nail bitter and anybody's game. Probably be a late miss or hit FG to win or lose.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:13 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:17 pm Well, the Steelers beat the Titans, who were vying for the No. 1 seed in the AFC.

And Detroit beat the Cardinals, who were No. 1 in the NFC.

It's a weird league this year. Anything is possible.
It seems the Titians always find a way not to get hot. he Cards probably got hot at the wrong time. We played them and I don't consider them overwhelming by any stretch. That was at their place also. I'm not sold on there QB. The Lions have a terrible record but like most teams they've lost some close games. The NFL is always weird. In our conference I still see it coming down to Rodgers and Brady. I think the 49ers have a solid team. Of course Jimmy G can fall to pieces and that is a concern. Rodgers or Brady won't do that. But he does throw the ball and isn't some dink and dunk guy. But that team plays hard football and I think they are coached well.They are a team I've been impressed with. The Rams to me get much praise but they can fall off the table and their QB can go though stretches where things don't go well. Rodgers had no problem against them so something is lacking on that side of the ball.
Yeah, it probably will come down to Rodgers and Brady.

But it's still weird. Even weirder. Since I posted that, Brady gets shut out at home. I know they were missing AB and Evans and Godwin, but Brady getting shut out? First time in 15 years!

And I'll tell you what ... Rodgers almost got beat yesterday, too. That kid Tyler Huntley played really, really well for the Ravens. Y'know, he's a restricted free agent after the season. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Vikings took a chance on him.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:21 pm We give away games and that started right from the start. It wouldn't shock me if the Bears beat us. Division games are always tough and this Field guy can make things happen and he also can make some big mistakes. If we go in there and play Zim ball it will be a nail bitter and anybody's game. Probably be a late miss or hit FG to win or lose.
I am not impressed by Fields. He throws a nice ball and has some escapability and put together some nice sequences, but I don't think he's a game changer. He pretty much took what the defense gave him and missed on some key throws. Had he been better I agree the Bears likely would have won the game.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:14 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:21 pm We give away games and that started right from the start. It wouldn't shock me if the Bears beat us. Division games are always tough and this Field guy can make things happen and he also can make some big mistakes. If we go in there and play Zim ball it will be a nail bitter and anybody's game. Probably be a late miss or hit FG to win or lose.
I am not impressed by Fields. He throws a nice ball and has some escapability and put together some nice sequences, but I don't think he's a game changer. He pretty much took what the defense gave him and missed on some key throws. Had he been better I agree the Bears likely would have won the game.
Fields is a rookie and I give him credit for even playing year one. But the Bears can have him. He's years away from being anything more than a gimmick. I was happy they traded up for him because it took him off the board. Trader down would have jumped on him if he was there at our pick. The Bears really kicked us in this game. With nothing at QB they don't have a chance. There a team that needs a new coach and it will probably happen this off season. But what they really need is a better QB. But that's about 80% of the teams in the NFL.