Steelers @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm

And FYI for the ones that want to credit Udoh for Dalvins big night…..

Brian Baldinger just did a break down of some of Dalvins big runs. Not once did he even mention Udohs name. I don’t think it was much of a testament for the OLs sake but just how bad Pittsburgh’s playcalling was defensively. If anyone, I’d give our interior OL credit. Because Udoh did essentially nothing on those plays. His end simply rushed out wide and udoh went with him and Pitt left nobody in the middle. I can tell you it was nothing that Rashod Hill couldn’t have done and I’m not a fan of hill at all. Link below:

https://www.vikings.com/video/baldy-s- ... arter-runs
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 am
x 58

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by Thaumaturgist » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:16 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:48 pm
VikingLord wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 pm


Please speak for yourself.

I personally enjoy reading Stump's perspectives, as I do yours.
Ok sorry you’re one of very few that do then
Count me as another one who enjoys Stump's perspectives... Actually I enjoy everyone's perspective even when they don't agree with mine. In fact, I usually enjoy those more.

What I don't enjoy is the continual calling out/belittling of other posters.
2 x

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 472

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:16 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm
And FYI for the ones that want to credit Udoh for Dalvins big night…..

Brian Baldinger just did a break down of some of Dalvins big runs. Not once did he even mention Udohs name. I don’t think it was much of a testament for the OLs sake but just how bad Pittsburgh’s playcalling was defensively. If anyone, I’d give our interior OL credit. Because Udoh did essentially nothing on those plays. His end simply rushed out wide and udoh went with him and Pitt left nobody in the middle. I can tell you it was nothing that Rashod Hill couldn’t have done and I’m not a fan of hill at all. Link below:

https://www.vikings.com/video/baldy-s- ... arter-runs
No one is saying Udoh should take over for Darrisaw when he is healthy and I stated that when Darrisaw is healthy Udoh should go to bench, so I am not sure what you think you are disagreeing with here.

People are just saying he is a better option to fill in than Hill, something you appear to agree with.

So the praise for this move was that we didn't just go with the inferior Hill and instead played a better option, even if that player wasn't that much better. I am curious what you would have done differently at LT with Darrisaw out?

People are also praising what was done at guard and center. Did Baldy talk about Cole and Bradbury in his breakdown at all? :whistle:
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by VikingLord » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:39 pm
VikingLord wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:53 pm


There is no doubt in my mind at all that moving Udoh out to right tackle was the right move, both in terms of his ability and potential as well as in terms of Udoh being much better at that position than Rashod Hill was.

Udoh actually gets movement in the run game at RT. He struggled to do that on the interior, mostly because he's too tall and interior defenders could get up under his pads more easily and stand him up. Out at tackle, he can get moving forward and lean into defenders before making contact, and that's when his size and power are maximized. I've seen several plays where he's driving defenders several yards downfield. Hill couldn't do that. At best he was standing guys up at the LOS on run plays. I think Udoh's ability to completely dominate the guy across from him on run downs is helping Cleveland as well. He doesn't have to worry about Udoh's guy beating the block and intruding on his blocking assignment.

Darrisaw is still the best natural LT on the team as he has both size and power along with the ability to move his feet, but Udoh has been a light years improvement over Hill at RT and I don't think that can be credibly disputed. I have yet to see Udoh dumped on his rear by a pass rusher and doubt I will ever see that.

Udoh's biggest issue both when he played inside and outside seems to be his conditioning. He seems to wear down later in games and when he wears down he starts to get sloppy and that's when the mistakes show up. But when he's fresh he's a beast.
Just to clarify, Udoh hasn't been playing RT. That's Brian O'Neill. He's been playing LT.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Good catch. In my mind Udoh's ideal position is RT and not LT, but you are correct he's been playing LT.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by VikingLord » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:57 pm
I mean regardless, neither him or Hill are good. But Udoh should be parking his as# on the bench when Darrisaw is back.
I think Udoh is much better than Hill at LT. As I said, I have yet to see a pass rusher dump Udoh on his behind as I saw multiple rushers do to Hill. Udoh also gets more push in short yardage situations than I ever saw Hill get. So while I can't speak to the grades he's been given per se, he brings things to the field that I didn't see from Hill and I think the overall play at LT has been better with Udoh there as compared to when Hill was there.

That does not mean I think Udoh is better at LT than Darrisaw or should remain the starter when Darrisaw is healthy, but with that said, we haven't exactly seen all that much from Darrisaw yet. While Darrisaw should be better than either Udoh or Hill at LT, he needs to get on the field more. Here's hoping his injuries resolve soon and we can see what he brings to the table on a regular basis.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Thaumaturgist wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:16 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:48 pm


Ok sorry you’re one of very few that do then
Count me as another one who enjoys Stump's perspectives... Actually I enjoy everyone's perspective even when they don't agree with mine. In fact, I usually enjoy those more.

What I don't enjoy is the continual calling out/belittling of other posters.
Well when you watch him toe the line of rules for years, egg on, pot stir, troll, call out, belittle, etc. and still be here.... yeah that's not enjoyable either. Or just the simple fact that I've continued to say to him every time I post that I have nothing to say to him and to stop replying to my posts but he continues to do it anyways and make up his own narratives just to again, stir the pot... yeah that's also not enjoyable either. I call it as I see it because it has gone on long enough. So sorry if I offended you by calling him out but when he acts like a child on a consistent basis, he deserves every bit of being called out.
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by VikingLord » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:41 pm
Thaumaturgist wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:16 am


Count me as another one who enjoys Stump's perspectives... Actually I enjoy everyone's perspective even when they don't agree with mine. In fact, I usually enjoy those more.

What I don't enjoy is the continual calling out/belittling of other posters.
Well when you watch him toe the line of rules for years, egg on, pot stir, troll, call out, belittle, etc. and still be here.... yeah that's not enjoyable either. Or just the simple fact that I've continued to say to him every time I post that I have nothing to say to him and to stop replying to my posts but he continues to do it anyways and make up his own narratives just to again, stir the pot... yeah that's also not enjoyable either. I call it as I see it because it has gone on long enough. So sorry if I offended you by calling him out but when he acts like a child on a consistent basis, he deserves every bit of being called out.
Why not just foe him?

I mean, it takes two to tango. I can understand your frustration if the board gave you no means to ignore him, but this board gives you that control. That might not stop you from seeing a particular person's posts, but you won't see anything specifically directed at you, nor will you be tempted to reply to something that might go in the wrong direction.

Also, to your comment about the board rules, the board is moderated, and the moderators have the power to enforce the rules, so if someone is flouting the rules the moderators should take care of that. The fact they have not suggests maybe your view of things as it relates to Stump's contributions to the board might not be the same as everyone else's view of those contributions.

I think you are both valuable members of the board. I'm not sure where things went sideways between the two of you but I'd love to see the two of you make peace for any real or imagined slights, put the bad juju behind you both, and let's all get on with enjoying this board as a brotherhood and sisterhood of fans of the Minnesota Vikings.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:16 am

No one is saying Udoh should take over for Darrisaw when he is healthy
Never said anyone did?
People are just saying he is a better option to fill in than Hill, something you appear to agree with.
Also never said that either.
I am curious what you would have done differently at LT with Darrisaw out?
Udoh wouldnt have been in the equation at all. Hill would've been at LT. Udoh would've been on the bench months ago after I quickly realized he's terrible and given my 3rd round former Big 10 OL of the year his chance instead. Or at absolute worst, had Mason Cole there and when Bradbury went down go with Cole and Davis. Again, Oli Udoh isnt even in the equation because he's terrible and has cost us more than he's helped us. Especially given that he's 2nd in the league in penalties with 15, 11 of them being holding. He has given up 104 total penalty yards. He's averaging over one penalty a game. Given how poorly he played at LT against Detroit and Pitt, I'm not sure why anyone would think Rashod Hill would've been any worse than that. Udoh gave up 6 pressures vs. Pitt, I doubt Hill would be giving up 7+. I also doubt Hill would have had two false start penalties vs. Detroit given he isnt worried about rushing into his kick slide because he actually knows the position. To be honest, Hill didnt get a single false start penalty the first 5 games of the year. But I mean Zimmer couldnt figure out how to make Justin Jefferson a full time starter day 1 of his rookie year so I'm not surprised he cant figure out the right offensive line combo.
People are also praising what was done at guard and center. Did Baldy talk about Cole and Bradbury in his breakdown at all? :whistle:
Uh yeah? Not sure what the relevance here is? The problem is the shuffling around of one of the worst offensive lineman we have when better options are sitting on your bench.
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8547
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 888

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:28 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Why not just foe him?

I mean, it takes two to tango. I can understand your frustration if the board gave you no means to ignore him, but this board gives you that control. That might not stop you from seeing a particular person's posts, but you won't see anything specifically directed at you, nor will you be tempted to reply to something that might go in the wrong direction.
Tried it before, doesnt work because I still see what he quotes of me when others reply
Also, to your comment about the board rules, the board is moderated, and the moderators have the power to enforce the rules, so if someone is flouting the rules the moderators should take care of that. The fact they have not suggests maybe your view of things as it relates to Stump's contributions to the board might not be the same as everyone else's view of those contributions.
The amount of members and mods I've discussed this with make a pretty long list I can tell you that. So sure, maybe there is one or two that enjoy it but I can tell you the majority does not. That is a fact.
I think you are both valuable members of the board. I'm not sure where things went sideways between the two of you but I'd love to see the two of you make peace for any real or imagined slights, put the bad juju behind you both, and let's all get on with enjoying this board as a brotherhood and sisterhood of fans of the Minnesota Vikings.
Appreciate it but I can tell you right now he will never change his ways to make that happen. I've already pulled myself off this board and have drastically cut down on posting because I honestly want very little to do with this board until things start to change and that's coming from one of the most active and longest tenured members on here. I dont like button pushers, I dont like trolls. I dont like people that get enjoyment out of stirring the pot. I dont like people who make up their own narratives to make themselves sound better. I dont like people who are sneaky and manipulative. I'm a 32 year old husband and father with two jobs. I dont have time to watch/deal with that anymore. I dont want to, I dont care to. I'll discuss Vikings all day with someone but I'm not going to deal with that crap.
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8981
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1391

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:28 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Just to clarify, Udoh hasn't been playing RT. That's Brian O'Neill. He's been playing LT.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Good catch. In my mind Udoh's ideal position is RT and not LT, but you are correct he's been playing LT.
Meh, no worries. It happens.

Speaking of LT, any word on Darrisaw?
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7447
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 617

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by VikingLord » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:53 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:28 pm
VikingLord wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 pm


:oops: :oops: :oops:

Good catch. In my mind Udoh's ideal position is RT and not LT, but you are correct he's been playing LT.
Meh, no worries. It happens.

Speaking of LT, any word on Darrisaw?
I haven't seen an injury report yet for this week but last week he didn't practice, so my guess would be he'll remain out for the game against the Bears. Seems like a pretty significant ankle injury.
0 x

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN
x 6

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by Purple Reign » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Texas Vike wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:01 am
What also was vintage Zimmer, and this speaks very favorably to his virtues, is that this team had every reason to NOT come out and play hard. To me, it speaks volumes that Dalvin chose to play. The guys were playing HARD and they don't do that for a coach that they want to see fired. I want to move on from Zimmer, but I think it's fair to recognize that he definitely inspires his guys to play hard for him. And yet, they'll likely disappear later in the season when a playoff berth is on the line. We're a purple rollercoaster with Zimmer. I'd like to get off the ride, honestly. :puke:
Every reason to NOT to come and play hard? How about still being in the playoff race? Besides, if they don't play hard then they aren't going to last very long in this league and lose their job. That should be the only reason they need to play hard.
0 x

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 472

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:49 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 pm


Udoh wouldnt have been in the equation at all. Hill would've been at LT.
Are you seriously upset about Hill, the worst graded tackle in the entire NFL through his first 5 weeks starting, not getting the start over Udoh?

Or are you just complaining to complain? Bradbury and Cole are working out on the interior, better than Cole and Davis or Bradbury and Davis would, and Udoh will go to the bench when Darrisaw is healthy. Great decision by the HC and there really isn't a reasonable argument against it.
0 x

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4178
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 247

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by Texas Vike » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Purple Reign wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:57 pm
Texas Vike wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:01 am
What also was vintage Zimmer, and this speaks very favorably to his virtues, is that this team had every reason to NOT come out and play hard. To me, it speaks volumes that Dalvin chose to play. The guys were playing HARD and they don't do that for a coach that they want to see fired. I want to move on from Zimmer, but I think it's fair to recognize that he definitely inspires his guys to play hard for him. And yet, they'll likely disappear later in the season when a playoff berth is on the line. We're a purple rollercoaster with Zimmer. I'd like to get off the ride, honestly. :puke:
Every reason to NOT to come and play hard? How about still being in the playoff race? Besides, if they don't play hard then they aren't going to last very long in this league and lose their job. That should be the only reason they need to play hard.
What you say is obvious and true, but what I propose is that Dalvin's effort and willingness to play hurt (two WEEKS earlier than expected) is extraordinary and it may reflect well on his relationship with coach Zimmer. It may also just be that he felt good. Maybe he's sick of the reputation of being injury-prone? It's all just speculation on our part.

Ultimately, this team is a straight-up enigma. They can come out flat and unprepared and uninspired or they can come out on fire, like we saw Thursday night... and I can't make heads or tails of them. I guess that inconsistency has been a defining characteristic of the Zimmer era.
0 x

User avatar
makila
Starter
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
x 43

Re: Steelers @ Vikings post game

Post by makila » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:12 pm

I know I am a newer member on this board compared to some of guys. I am not new to forums (been on them since late 90s), and admin a large one currently.

I say that because...
1. You will never control what people choose to respond to on a message board. Telling someone not to respond to you just won't work. If you don't want people to respond then posting on a message board probably is gonna make you upset.

2. You control your own actions. Don't respond if you don't want to continue back and forth with a certain individual. That simple. If you feel the need to respond that's on you.
Last edited by makila on Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x