The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 179

The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by Rhodes Closed » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:42 pm

Well, we're back in the playoff hunt gents. Here's what the playoff scene currently looks like:

1. Arizona Cardinals
2. Green Bay Packers
3. Dallas Cowboys
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5. Los Angeles Rams
6. Minnesota Vikings
7. San Francisco 49ers

Here's where Minnesota stands, we're currently the #6 seed since 49ers won, Saints lose to the Eagles, and Panthers lose to WFT.

From here on out, the schedule gets exponentially easier.

@ San Francisco
@ Detroit
Pittsburgh
@Chicago
Los Angeles Rams
@Green Bay
Chicago

According to FiveThirtySix, we have a 56% chance to make the playoffs.

If we win the rest of our division games, we are 9-5 for those games and we're at a 95% chance to win.

So here's some scenarios I've cooked up:

The Vikings Win the Division if:

Vikings win all of their division games, and both the Packers and Vikings end up 11-6.

Vikings make playoffs if:

Vikings win all of their division games and get an additional win, or... Vikings go at least 10-6-1.

If the Vikings somehow just keep winning every game from here on out, we'd be 12-5, and almost guaranteed a #2 or #3 seed, unless the Packers also win all of their games except against us.

So, what should the Vikings do?

JUST WIN BABY
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 505

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Playoffs are a lock. I wouldn't want to be the team playing the Vikings in the playoffs.
1 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8833
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1291

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:45 pm

Toughest game in the next four is definitely San Francisco. They’ve been playing really good football lately. Beat them, and 9-5 after 14 games is entirely plausible.

With the Rams game at USB, beating them wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility. We just beat the team that had been the No. 1 seed.

I’m confident we could see this team get to 10 wins. That’s easily going to be in the playoffs in the NFC.

What’s killing me right now is that we’ve played the top two seeds in the NFC. We beat one and were a chip shot field goal from beating the other.
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 277

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Huge game coming up against San Fran. One team will leave the field as pretenders.
0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1735
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:01 am
x 103

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by psjordan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm

Oooh boy this is a slippery slope.

Lucy has simply pulled the ball away too many times for me to have more than 50% faith we'll make the playoffs under any scenario.

The league this year is wacky, and wacky goes both ways. Good teams (Rams, Titans) are losing inexplicable games. It's entirely possible we go on a mini run of dominance and then lose three in a row, inexplicably.

So I have no clue whatsoever.
1 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 523

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:01 pm

@ San Francisco-Loss
@ Detroit-Win
Pittsburgh-Win
@Chicago-Loss
Los Angeles Rams-Win
@Green Bay-Loss
Chicago-Win

9-8

That is my guess so Vikings might make it in the playoffs
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 505

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:33 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:45 pm
Toughest game in the next four is definitely San Francisco. They’ve been playing really good football lately. Beat them, and 9-5 after 14 games is entirely plausible.

With the Rams game at USB, beating them wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility. We just beat the team that had been the No. 1 seed.

I’m confident we could see this team get to 10 wins. That’s easily going to be in the playoffs in the NFC.

What’s killing me right now is that we’ve played the top two seeds in the NFC. We beat one and were a chip shot field goal from beating the other.
Yeah it's a shame that Cousins missed the FG against AZ. :wallbang:
Seriously it's a shame that we lost Hunter for the rest of the year. Snake Bit.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7319
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 565

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by VikingLord » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am

psjordan wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm
Oooh boy this is a slippery slope.

Lucy has simply pulled the ball away too many times for me to have more than 50% faith we'll make the playoffs under any scenario.

The league this year is wacky, and wacky goes both ways. Good teams (Rams, Titans) are losing inexplicable games. It's entirely possible we go on a mini run of dominance and then lose three in a row, inexplicably.

So I have no clue whatsoever.
I totally agree with you.

Fact remains that the Vikings have looked great for stretches on offense this year, and equally bad for stretches, often in the same game. While I'd love to believe they are now ready to keep playing great, I'm far from sold that they will.

Maybe it's better to have doubts than to believe they've turned the corner. At this point, I'm counting on another close game against the 49ers, a game much like the one against the Browns earlier in the year where the offense has a good drive or two, but is otherwise unable to move the ball while the 49ers control the clock with steady doses of 4-5 yard runs and pressure defense. The final score will probably be close, but I don't think the game itself will be.

I hope The Vikings prove me wrong. I still have flashbacks to that walloping the 49ers handed them in the playoffs a few years ago, and from where I sit it looks like the two teams are pretty much playing the same style of football as they were back then. But maybe this time Cousins will be lofting it deep and Jefferson will be pulling it in while Cook and Mattison find running lanes and Conklin is the tight end that makes noise.
0 x

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1735
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:01 am
x 103

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by psjordan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:57 am

VikingLord wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am
psjordan wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm
Oooh boy this is a slippery slope.

Lucy has simply pulled the ball away too many times for me to have more than 50% faith we'll make the playoffs under any scenario.

The league this year is wacky, and wacky goes both ways. Good teams (Rams, Titans) are losing inexplicable games. It's entirely possible we go on a mini run of dominance and then lose three in a row, inexplicably.

So I have no clue whatsoever.
I totally agree with you.

Fact remains that the Vikings have looked great for stretches on offense this year, and equally bad for stretches, often in the same game. While I'd love to believe they are now ready to keep playing great, I'm far from sold that they will.

Maybe it's better to have doubts than to believe they've turned the corner. At this point, I'm counting on another close game against the 49ers, a game much like the one against the Browns earlier in the year where the offense has a good drive or two, but is otherwise unable to move the ball while the 49ers control the clock with steady doses of 4-5 yard runs and pressure defense. The final score will probably be close, but I don't think the game itself will be.

I hope The Vikings prove me wrong. I still have flashbacks to that walloping the 49ers handed them in the playoffs a few years ago, and from where I sit it looks like the two teams are pretty much playing the same style of football as they were back then. But maybe this time Cousins will be lofting it deep and Jefferson will be pulling it in while Cook and Mattison find running lanes and Conklin is the tight end that makes noise.
Agreed. A few points on the SF game:

Zim was just as aggressive on D against GB as the offensive play calls. More than a few times when he sent the house against Rodgers I held my breath. Not sure we actually "rattled" Rodgers, but probably a good thing he had a hurt toe.

IF (and that is a big IF), we have the same approach against SF, I think Garopollo is much more subject to being rattled than AR. And of course if they have to put the rookie in we'll rattle him as well, but he can rip off 20 yard runs that will kill us.

So,
A) I hope we remain just as aggressive on D as on O.
B) I hope Zim has two game plans, one for Garopollo and another one entirely for Lance (at least add a spy).
C) I'm optimistic our O can remain aggressive and still have good results.
D) I think our WR's outclass their DB's but it all depends on our OL giving at least minimal time for Kirk.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8833
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1291

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 am

So here’s something to think about.

The Packers are banged up. That’s an understatement. They’ve got several key players out. Despite their stats, their secondary is suspect. With Sharon Rodgers, they’re never out of any game, but now he’s got an ailment hat he calls “worse than turf toe.” Now they just lost their best offensive lineman. Bottom line: They’re a tough out in every game, but their vulnerable. Now they play the Rams.

Let’s say the Rams go into Laimblow and get the job done. Pack falls to 8-4 going into their bye week.

Now let’s say the Vikings get the job done in San Francisco. Week 13 is against Detroit on the road, which we should win.

All of a sudden, Green Bay is 8-4 going into Week 14, and the Vikings are just one game back at 7-5. And the two teams face each other on January 2.

Along with San Fran, the toughest game the Vikings have until that Jan. 2 matchup with the Pukers is the game Dec. 26 against the Rams. And that game is at home. If the Vikings win their next 5, the game on January 2 could take on huge importance. In fact, it could be for first place in the division.

Here’s the take (at the risk of being labeled a Koolaid Drinker) … the Minnesota Vikings can still win the NFC North.

Thoughts? Unrealistic?
2 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 505

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:40 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 am
So here’s something to think about.

The Packers are banged up. That’s an understatement. They’ve got several key players out. Despite their stats, their secondary is suspect. With Sharon Rodgers, they’re never out of any game, but now he’s got an ailment hat he calls “worse than turf toe.” Now they just lost their best offensive lineman. Bottom line: They’re a tough out in every game, but their vulnerable. Now they play the Rams.

Let’s say the Rams go into Laimblow and get the job done. Pack falls to 8-4 going into their bye week.

Now let’s say the Vikings get the job done in San Francisco. Week 13 is against Detroit on the road, which we should win.

All of a sudden, Green Bay is 8-4 going into Week 14, and the Vikings are just one game back at 7-5. And the two teams face each other on January 2.

Along with San Fran, the toughest game the Vikings have until that Jan. 2 matchup with the Pukers is the game Dec. 26 against the Rams. And that game is at home. If the Vikings win their next 5, the game on January 2 could take on huge importance. In fact, it could be for first place in the division.

Here’s the take (at the risk of being labeled a Koolaid Drinker) … the Minnesota Vikings can still win the NFC North.

Thoughts? Unrealistic?
Unlikely, but certainly possible.
0 x

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 179

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by Rhodes Closed » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:55 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 am
So here’s something to think about.

The Packers are banged up. That’s an understatement. They’ve got several key players out. Despite their stats, their secondary is suspect. With Sharon Rodgers, they’re never out of any game, but now he’s got an ailment hat he calls “worse than turf toe.” Now they just lost their best offensive lineman. Bottom line: They’re a tough out in every game, but their vulnerable. Now they play the Rams.

Let’s say the Rams go into Laimblow and get the job done. Pack falls to 8-4 going into their bye week.

Now let’s say the Vikings get the job done in San Francisco. Week 13 is against Detroit on the road, which we should win.

All of a sudden, Green Bay is 8-4 going into Week 14, and the Vikings are just one game back at 7-5. And the two teams face each other on January 2.

Along with San Fran, the toughest game the Vikings have until that Jan. 2 matchup with the Pukers is the game Dec. 26 against the Rams. And that game is at home. If the Vikings win their next 5, the game on January 2 could take on huge importance. In fact, it could be for first place in the division.

Here’s the take (at the risk of being labeled a Koolaid Drinker) … the Minnesota Vikings can still win the NFC North.

Thoughts? Unrealistic?
Certainly the scenario I figured.

I know we can beat them in Lamebeau, and we can win every game from now on.

Should also note that the Vikings have historically owned Matt Stafford, so maybe we'll shock the Rams too.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8833
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1291

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:06 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:40 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 am
So here’s something to think about.

The Packers are banged up. That’s an understatement. They’ve got several key players out. Despite their stats, their secondary is suspect. With Sharon Rodgers, they’re never out of any game, but now he’s got an ailment hat he calls “worse than turf toe.” Now they just lost their best offensive lineman. Bottom line: They’re a tough out in every game, but their vulnerable. Now they play the Rams.

Let’s say the Rams go into Laimblow and get the job done. Pack falls to 8-4 going into their bye week.

Now let’s say the Vikings get the job done in San Francisco. Week 13 is against Detroit on the road, which we should win.

All of a sudden, Green Bay is 8-4 going into Week 14, and the Vikings are just one game back at 7-5. And the two teams face each other on January 2.

Along with San Fran, the toughest game the Vikings have until that Jan. 2 matchup with the Pukers is the game Dec. 26 against the Rams. And that game is at home. If the Vikings win their next 5, the game on January 2 could take on huge importance. In fact, it could be for first place in the division.

Here’s the take (at the risk of being labeled a Koolaid Drinker) … the Minnesota Vikings can still win the NFC North.

Thoughts? Unrealistic?
Unlikely, but certainly possible.
The truth is that if the Rams beat Green Bay this Sunday, then the Vikings’ fate is in their own hands.

I don’t know if a lot of people have thought of it in that way.

Here’s something else. Green Bay is in this position largely because the “immunized” Aaron Rodgers got COVID, which sidelined him against Kansas City and allowed the Chiefs to beat them. How fitting would it be if they lost the division as a result?
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 179

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by Rhodes Closed » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:13 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:06 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:40 am

Unlikely, but certainly possible.
The truth is that if the Rams beat Green Bay this Sunday, then the Vikings’ fate is in their own hands.

I don’t know if a lot of people have thought of it in that way.

Here’s something else. Green Bay is in this position largely because the “immunized” Aaron Rodgers got COVID, which sidelined him against Kansas City and allowed the Chiefs to beat them. How fitting would it be if they lost the division as a result?
The irony wouldn't be lost on me. And it would likely mean the Packers have to face us in the Wild-Card game at US Bank Stadium instead of Lambeau.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8833
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1291

Re: The Vikings Playoff Hunt Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:30 am

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:13 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:06 am

The truth is that if the Rams beat Green Bay this Sunday, then the Vikings’ fate is in their own hands.

I don’t know if a lot of people have thought of it in that way.

Here’s something else. Green Bay is in this position largely because the “immunized” Aaron Rodgers got COVID, which sidelined him against Kansas City and allowed the Chiefs to beat them. How fitting would it be if they lost the division as a result?
The irony wouldn't be lost on me. And it would likely mean the Packers have to face us in the Wild-Card game at US Bank Stadium instead of Lambeau.
OMG, how great would it be to knock the Pukers out of the playoffs at our house?!!

OK. Gotta focus on the now. Beat the Niners. Beat the Niners.
1 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.