Packers-Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Packers-Vikings post game

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Boon wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:57 pm https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... urce=share get em pa! Lol
I know who it probably was too.

Jerry Gray, a former coach of ours.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Offense played great. Defense played meh. Some key moments and some real bone head moments (Alexander 1:1 with adams for example).

Kirk made some really good throws. He got some lucky bounces. Larger point being there was risk taking. It paid off. Going through JJ is worth the risk vs checking down and never giving JJ, or AT, a chance to make a great play. JJ is a scheme changing talent. Defenses have to be aware of him. If we never throw him the ball it removes a huge element to our offense. This was one of the better called games offensively this year.

Why did we hear about "breaking in our playcaller" for the first half of the year? Just throw that part of the season away? Zimmer have him that handcuffed? Neither are very understandable when the roster is built for the now.

Love to beat the packers any day any year. So yay!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Zimmer seems to do good against Rodgers. Defense did almost give up 500 yards.

I think this made a difference. Offense was 9-13 on 3rd down conversions.
Usually we go 5-15 on 3rd down conversions.
And we only had 3 penalties for 25 yards.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

makila wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 am Offense played great. Defense played meh. Some key moments and some real bone head moments (Alexander 1:1 with adams for example).

Kirk made some really good throws. He got some lucky bounces. Larger point being there was risk taking. It paid off. Going through JJ is worth the risk vs checking down and never giving JJ, or AT, a chance to make a great play. JJ is a scheme changing talent. Defenses have to be aware of him. If we never throw him the ball it removes a huge element to our offense. This was one of the better called games offensively this year.

Why did we hear about "breaking in our playcaller" for the first half of the year? Just throw that part of the season away? Zimmer have him that handcuffed? Neither are very understandable when the roster is built for the now.

Speculation from some in the media is that Kubiak is getting help, likely from quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko.

I have no idea whether that’s true, but it makes sense. Over the past two weeks, we’ve used tons of motion, jet-sweep action, etc. that we never used through the first 8 games. Does a 34-year-old OC who was a receivers coach at Kansas 5 years ago suddenly turn into Sean Payton? Seems likely that he’s getting some help, both in play design and play calling.

Not that I mind. This offense, the way it’s been playing the past two weeks, can compete with anyone.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:15 pm I'm happy to see Kirk being more aggressive instead of targeting Ham 8 times a game for 16 yards.
I've been #### about the Ham involvement myself. You throw him a bone every other game for a couple yards. He's a blocker period. Yesterday I noticed a play where he helped on the left edge in pass protection and he did his usual good job. Stuck his head in there and helped out. With that watch next week Ham 6 catches for 9 yards or some crap like that. But I blame the coaches for that entire #### show. Why is he even out on a pass route? Our OL needs all the help it can get. Having Cook standing next to the QB does nothing. Maybe those two were mixed up on the plays.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Adam Thielen in a postgame interview. This is great stuff. He’s talking about what the win over the Packers means to him as a native Minnesotan.
A lot of guys [other players], they know it’s a big deal but they don’t really understand if you don’t live it, you know? And just being able to talk to those guys and tell them… like wearing your Vikings jersey all week at school… And then going to school on Monday and all the Packers fans coming at you if you lose and giving you a hard time.

So I’m excited for all the kids going to school tomorrow wearing their Vikings stuff.
I am so glad Adam Thielen is a Viking.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Boon wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:57 pm https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... urce=share get em pa! Lol
Leber looks good, I miss the guy, he was a decent player :thumbsup:
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 am Adam Thielen in a postgame interview. This is great stuff. He’s talking about what the win over the Packers means to him as a native Minnesotan.
A lot of guys [other players], they know it’s a big deal but they don’t really understand if you don’t live it, you know? And just being able to talk to those guys and tell them… like wearing your Vikings jersey all week at school… And then going to school on Monday and all the Packers fans coming at you if you lose and giving you a hard time.

So I’m excited for all the kids going to school tomorrow wearing their Vikings stuff.
Haha, nice and I know what he means! I used to wear my Randy Moss jersey to school everytime Vikings win
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:35 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:15 pm I'm happy to see Kirk being more aggressive instead of targeting Ham 8 times a game for 16 yards.
I've been #### about the Ham involvement myself. You throw him a bone every other game for a couple yards. He's a blocker period. Yesterday I noticed a play where he helped on the left edge in pass protection and he did his usual good job. Stuck his head in there and helped out. With that watch next week Ham 6 catches for 9 yards or some crap like that. But I blame the coaches for that entire #### show. Why is he even out on a pass route? Our OL needs all the help it can get. Having Cook standing next to the QB does nothing. Maybe those two were mixed up on the plays.
Another thing about Ham he's not a fluid pass catcher. He's like a punt returner fielding a punt just trying to catch a pass. Once that process ends two guys are an inch away and the rest of the defense is 6 inches away and storming at him. They need to slow up for the tackle.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:29 am
makila wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 am Offense played great. Defense played meh. Some key moments and some real bone head moments (Alexander 1:1 with adams for example).

Speculation from some in the media is that Kubiak is getting help, likely from quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko.

I have no idea whether that’s true, but it makes sense. Over the past two weeks, we’ve used tons of motion, jet-sweep action, etc. that we never used through the first 8 games. Does a 34-year-old OC who was a receivers coach at Kansas 5 years ago suddenly turn into Sean Payton? Seems likely that he’s getting some help, both in play design and play calling.

Not that I mind. This offense, the way it’s been playing the past two weeks, can compete with anyone.
Agreed. Not complaining either. Don't want it to save Zimmers job though. Haha. Why did it take getting to this for him to do...anything different.

He set up his oc / offense to fail at the start of this year, based on his decisions (it appears based one what we know). If Kubiak wasn't ready to call plays (which I think most agree he isnt) then Zimmer made another bad decision.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

I’m not going to over-analyze this game.

I’m not going to detail IMO who did what right or wrong, and whether it was a fluke or a trend. I certainly thought about going the “so and so did X right and I sure hope that’s a trend from here on out”.

If true, not going to chide Zimmer for waiting 9 games to get KK some help calling plays.

Truth is, I have no clue if this organization is learning how to “play games to win” or has just kind of gotten lucky lately.

Only thing for sure is what’s already happened, and what’s already JUST happened is that we logged a W against GB.

I am just going to enjoy this win.

Ahhhhhhh.

OK, so now that that’s over, why not go off the field for some analysis?

This article is less than complimentary about our GM the way it is written. In fact, it’s downright ugly:

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota ... -solution/

“In total, Spielman is responsible for only 15 “hits” in the draft throughout his 10-year career.”
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

It's funny... hasn't like 90% of this message board been saying the Vikings just need to take more risks (be less conservative) on offense all season? Wouldn't we be at least 8-2 if the team actually did that (wins vs Browns, Ravens, Cowboys)? I think it says something that the laypeople of the forum saw it 11 weeks before Zimmer.

This win just puts a spotlight on how slow Zimmer is to change and that he should've realized we have Kirk, Cook, JJ, and Thielen at the beginning of the year and went forward with a more aggressive offensive game plan for the season. Franky, it's asinine he didn't.

#FireZimmer

Great Vikings win - always fun to beat the team from my home state.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

TSonn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am It's funny... hasn't like 90% of this message board been saying the Vikings just need to take more risks (be less conservative) on offense all season? Wouldn't we be at least 8-2 if the team actually did that (wins vs Browns, Ravens, Cowboys)? I think it says something that the laypeople of the forum saw it 11 weeks before Zimmer.

This win just puts a spotlight on how slow Zimmer is to change and that he should've realized we have Kirk, Cook, JJ, and Thielen at the beginning of the year and went forward with a more aggressive offensive game plan for the season. Franky, it's asinine he didn't.

#FireZimmer

Great Vikings win - always fun to beat the team from my home state.
yes. this. very much.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Am I the only one that thinks the defense might be an outright liability?

Still too many easy big plays given up, with opposing wide receivers running wide open at times. Too many 3rd downs conceded and big plays conceded on 3rd down. Not sure what is wrong on that side of the ball but even if they make the playoffs they'll be one-and-done unless that side holds its weight.
makila wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 am Kirk made some really good throws. He got some lucky bounces. Larger point being there was risk taking. It paid off. Going through JJ is worth the risk vs checking down and never giving JJ, or AT, a chance to make a great play. JJ is a scheme changing talent. Defenses have to be aware of him. If we never throw him the ball it removes a huge element to our offense. This was one of the better called games offensively this year.
IMHO, Cousins can make all the difference on the offensive side of the ball. When he plays tough, hangs in there and is willing to take the shot and take the risks, the offense can put up points against any defense. If he plays conservative and safe, lots of 3-and-outs, little TOP, and low scoring are the result.

Not sure if that is on Cousins or the coaches for telling him to play it safe and let the defense win the game, but given the first observation about the 2021 Vikings defense, conservative play on offense ain't gonna get it done. They need Cousins to play aggressively, and assuming he's willing and able to do that, that might just be the difference between this team barely making or missing the playoffs and a deep playoff run. The team has the talent to do that.

Lots of close games this year. Not sure if that helps or hurts them, but they've played pretty much everyone tight.

San Fran is a another huge test. The 49ers are doing it old style as of late with two lopsided wins coming on the back of an overwhelming rush attack on offense while minimizing Garropolo's penchant to screw things up in the passing game and a strong defense that disrupts the opposing offense. Plus, the 49ers need to beat the Vikings as much as the Vikings need to beat the 49ers. Huge playoff implications in this upcoming game.

We need Cousins to keep playing lights out, and we need the defense to get right. Got to keep the pedal down.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:52 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 am Adam Thielen in a postgame interview. This is great stuff. He’s talking about what the win over the Packers means to him as a native Minnesotan.

Haha, nice and I know what he means! I used to wear my Randy Moss jersey to school everytime Vikings win
Well..... I'm 57 yrs old... and I was ECSTATIC swiping myself in the door at work today with my card attached to my Viking lanyard, wearing one of my Viking hats ( and I rarely wear a hat but today I did), my Vikings windbreaker, belt buckle, carrying my Viking coffee mug and my soft case with Viking emblems sewn on.
Still that Viking kid at heart!!
P.S. HAPPY THANKSGIVING #### Erin #12 and the Pukers!!!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!