If they were to hire a new HC...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: If they were to hire a new HC...

Post by RandyMoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:10 am
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:22 am Les Steckel. Give him another crack :lol:
I looked him up and believe it or not he's still coaching at age 75 for Centre College as the team's quarterbacks coach. His coaching highlight is winning the Tennessee state high school championship.
He won the Tennessee state high school championship? Too bad he could not do it with the Vikings but good for him!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:55 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:10 am
I looked him up and believe it or not he's still coaching at age 75 for Centre College as the team's quarterbacks coach. His coaching highlight is winning the Tennessee state high school championship.
He won the Tennessee state high school championship? Too bad he could not do it with the Vikings but good for him!
I give the guy credit as he did make it to the top of the coaching chart at the pro level. That's a tremendous accomplishment.
Per Jack White “The Vikings made Steckel the youngest coach in the NFL when they chose him as Bud Grant’s successor. It took only a season to realize they had made a huge mistake. Steckel was fired after refusing to resign at the end of his first season in charge. Get that severance package, Les.”
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

I've spent time with Les on several occasions, we ran in the same circles for a few years. He's a great guy and will share whatever he knows about coaching and about life for hours and hours.

Obviously he was what he was with the Vikes, but I can't take potshots after getting to know the man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

psjordan wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:22 am I've spent time with Les on several occasions, we ran in the same circles for a few years. He's a great guy and will share whatever he knows about coaching and about life for hours and hours.

Obviously he was what he was with the Vikes, but I can't take potshots after getting to know the man.
That is nice to hear he is a good person, it is a shame he did not work out with the Vikings
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:32 am
chicagopurple wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:21 pm little Kubie would be predictable and a bad move. Nepotism is the lamest form of management. Given the foottball IQ of management, they will prolly give him the job.....
That is sad but true, I remembered they promoted Frazier to head coach and he was terrible
The Frazier hire was nepotism?

Who was he related to?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

I think the more predictable move will be to have Andre Patterson take the role, and it's not hard to see why:

- Also labeled "Defensive Guru"
- Players love him to death
- Loyal to the organization
- More "likeable" than Zimmer and I don't think there are any fans who outright hate him.
- More likely to let offensive coordinators do their thing

Like it or not, Andre Patterson would almost certainly be the pick if Mike Zimmer is fired or released after this season.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:21 pm I think the more predictable move will be to have Andre Patterson take the role, and it's not hard to see why:

- Also labeled "Defensive Guru"
- Players love him to death
- Loyal to the organization
- More "likeable" than Zimmer and I don't think there are any fans who outright hate him.
- More likely to let offensive coordinators do their thing

Like it or not, Andre Patterson would almost certainly be the pick if Mike Zimmer is fired or released after this season.
I would be fine with that, I rather have Andre than Klint as head coach
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

My issue with just focusing on the HC position is ignoring the Belichick/Brady outcome. Before Brady left town, people were willing to put Belichick on a pedestal above even Lombardi. A few years ago if Robert Kraft were willing to let Belichick go, I am sure the Vikings brass would have given up another Hershel Walker trade to get him. Now, I am not quite sure where Belichick belongs. I do know without the right QB, Belichick will end the same as any other HC this franchise has had.

Bottomline, a franchise QB is way more important to winning a SuperBowl than a great HC.
Last edited by StpViking on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StpViking wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:06 pm My issue with just focusing on the HC position is ignoring the Belichick/Brady outcome. Before Brady left town, people were willing to put Belichick on a pedestal above even Lombardi. A few years ago if Robert Kraft were willing to let Belichick go, I am sure the Vikings brass would have given up another Hershel Walker trade to get him. Now, I am not quite sure where Belichick belongs. I do know without the right QB, Belichick will end the same as another HC this franchise has had.

Bottomline, a franchise QB is way more important to winning a SuperBowl than a great HC.
I think a coach can hold a good team back, but can't by himself make a good team great.

In the scheme of things, coaching is important, but in my view the GM is far more important in terms of talent acquisition, and player leaders are easily the most important factor in ultimate team success. You get the right players on a team, that team instantly is better. You get the wrong players, they are instantly worse and there isn't much a coach can do to mask those flaws or, conversely, impede that success.

I mean, look at Childress. Prior to Favre's arrival his team didn't have a prayer of sniffing the Superbowl. Add Favre and suddenly they're in the mix. The difference there wasn't anything Childress did, and best I could tell Favre pretty much called his own plays anyway.

Belichek is a grumpy old dude who totally lucked into finding the best QB of all time, a QB he incidentally didn't start until his starter that year got hurt (Drew Bledsoe I believe). So yeah, anyone who wants to accredit Belichek with being the brilliant architect of a Superbowl dynasty first should acknowledge he lucked into that. Brady leaving and winning another Superbowl immediately with a new team doesn't help the Belichek is a great coach argument either.

And this year, the Pats went all-in in free agency. So far, the results are middling. They're a pretty average team struggling with a pretty average rookie QB and looking overall just like everybody else who's ever made the same types of moves in a given offseason. Color me unimpressed.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Jerry Burns rant 1989.

S= 1
F= 13

Priceless.