Lions Coming to Town

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Lions Coming to Town

Post by VikingLord » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:44 pm

Man, I really don't like games like this upcoming game.

A winless, seemingly hapless team comes to Minnesota after suffering some close and brutal losses. Its a team with a lot of changes, too, both in terms of players and coaches, so any notion the Vikings have a good handle on their strengths and weaknesses is probably not as valid as it might otherwise be. Its a team with literally nothing to lose and nobody is picking them to win.

On the other hand there are the Vikings, who still apparently believe they are a good team despite what the record says. Historically, the Vikings seem to take the week off mentally when they're facing what they believe to be an inferior opponent under Zimmer. Of course, the players and coaches stand up in front of the media and say all the right things, but there is this nagging atmosphere of contempt lingering that suggests most of the players and coaches feel they can ease up a bit, especially with the teams looming on the schedule after this game.

So even though the Vikings are 1-3 and the Lions are 0-4 heading into this game, I could easily see this being a trap game for the Vikings. A still somehow overconfident Vikings team shows up less prepared and motivated than a hungry, almost desperate, winless Lions team, with a strangely predictable result. I think this is even more likely because the Vikings can tell themselves how good the Browns were, and that while the Browns simply were more talented and outplayed them, the Lions are not more talented and not likely to outplay them. It all adds up to a game that is going to be much, much closer than it otherwise should be, and in my view at least, there is a very real chance the Vikings are staring at 1-4 when its all over.

Apart from that, the Vikings offense has a favorable matchup against the Lions defense, at least statistically. The Lions have not stopped the run well and gave up big chunks of change on the ground to the Bears. That should bode well for the Vikings, especially if Cook is healthy, and if the Vikings can run then the Vikings should be able to pass as well. As in all their games thus far, much depends on the play of the OL. If the OL that showed up in the first half of the game against the Bengals or every drive sans the first drive against the Browns rears its ugly head again in this game, all bets are off. If Cook/Mattison struggle to run, Cousins will likely struggle to pass as well. If the competent OL that played the rest of the games thus far shows up, the Vikings should be able to move and score. Absent the factors I first listed, I'd predict the latter OL and offense will be what we see on Sunday. Unfortunately, I think there is a very good chance the ineffective OL shows up in this one, at least for a significant portion of it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Vikings supposedly good offense go long stretches where they struggle to move the ball and score yet again.

Defensively, the Vikings can't afford to sleep on the Lions either. The Lions don't exactly have what one would call an explosive offense. They are, however, very streaky and have shown a knack for lighting up opposing defenses in bursts of scoring. Goff is the type of QB who can definitely hurt a defense if he's allowed to sit back and figure things out. The Vikings defensive line is going to have to get pressure on him and disrupt his timing, as well as start to play consistently better against the run. And no more leaving wide open deep receivers. If Mayfield were accurate the Browns would have had more chunk receiving plays than they ended up with. Goff will be more accurate on those routes, so if the Vikings continue to leave them open, they're going to pay for that against Goff and the Lions.

This game is going to be much closer than it should be. I picked the Vikings in a close one against the Browns last week due to HFA. I feel like the Vikings should win this one as well, largely for the same reason, but I know this team a little too well to be confident.

I'm going to give this one to the Vikings, barely...

Vikings - 21
Lions - 20
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Lions Coming to Town

Post by YikesVikes » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm

This feels like a trap game.
It feels like a typically Vikings loss. The opposing team has no OL and starting WRs are hurt. We should dominate them. Somehow, some way, we get their best shot, waste possessions and end up losing on a FG.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:39 pm

I am of the opinion we blow the Lions out. I think the defense is playing a lot better than most give them credit for and the Lions currently sit at 30th in points per drive given up and 27th in yards. They are 30th in both pass and rush DVOA, worse than the Seattle defense we just steamrolled.

If you have a Viking's player on your fantasy team, it is a good week to start them.

Vikings win 34-19 after a late GT TD.
0 x

CharVike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CharVike » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:56 am

I don't think the Lions can put up a fight in this. Injuries have turned their lone bright spot their OL into a garbage unit. Now there pro bowl center is out. There backup will spend more time in the backfield than our starter. There rookie T hasn't practice all week because of a bum ankle so if he plays his movement will be limited. If he doesn't they will insert their version of Hill in there. Zim will look at this as a stat builder game and I expect him to send the pass rush after Goff big time. With no blocking he might break his 10 sack game record this week. The only thing that can save Goff is if his HC pulls the plug on the passing game and tries to pound the ball all day and shorten the slaughter time. On defense the Lions have nothing. As an example Fields avg over 10 yards an attempt after avg 3 against the Browns. I couldn't believe that when I saw it. This sets up perfect for Kub/Cousins stats and I expect him to toss 3 TDs. Our OL will control the LOS so there will be little pressure and holes as big as a house to run through. See the Hawk game. That will help Cook if he plays and Matti get there YPC up. The Lions are in free fall and injuries are helping that. They can't do anything at the point right now and will be pushed all over the field. The Lions already have the welcome mat rolled out and Zim will be glad to storm in. I see it 38-14 or some blow out like that. It's a stat game for everybody and they will all take advantage of it. It will help during contract talks. After that it will appear that everything has been fixed. I'm not falling for that again.
0 x

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:30 am

It'll be a close game.

I don't see how it could possibly be a "trap" game though. The Vikings only have one more win than the Lions do ...
0 x

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:28 am

Cliff wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:30 am
It'll be a close game.

I don't see how it could possibly be a "trap" game though. The Vikings only have one more win than the Lions do ...
In reality they are 1-3, but in their minds I suspect they think they are 4-0. They're still talking almost to a man about being good or really good but just not "putting it all together yet" or some nonsense along those lines. For the rest of the world, this couldn't be a trap game. For the Vikings themselves, I suspect it could be.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:36 am

Cliff wrote:
It'll be a close game.

Do you feel it will be close because it is a divisional game or because the Lions are actually close to being as good as the Vikings?
0 x

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Tell you what, guys.

Frank Ragnow is out. Penei Sewell is likely out. T.J. Hockenson is questionable. Trey Flowers is questionable. This is just the beginning of the list.

If the Vikings can’t beat one of the least talented rosters in the NFL, a roster that is also one of the most injury riddled, then this season is already lost.
0 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:40 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:36 am
Cliff wrote:
It'll be a close game.

Do you feel it will be close because it is a divisional game or because the Lions are actually close to being as good as the Vikings?
Because it's divisional, yes. But also because we're 1-3 and I've watched all of the games. Close games is what the Vikings do (generally).
0 x

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:13 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Cliff wrote:
It'll be a close game.

Divisional games are usually close, I can not remember the last time Vikings blew out a NFC North team
0 x

Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:43 am

Should be able to take care of business today or Zimmer and Spielman are going to feel the heat .
1 x
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:

CharVike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CharVike » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:50 am

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:13 pm
StumpHunter wrote:

Divisional games are usually close, I can not remember the last time Vikings blew out a NFC North team
Depends on what you mean by blow out. I guess in Zim's time he beat the Packers by 16 which is big especially with a backup QB doing it. We beat the team we are about to play 34-20 last year and the Lions scored a nothing late TD with a sub at the controls. Captain Kirk only threw for 220 but only attempted 20 passes which shows Zim took his foot off the gas. Had 3 TD passes. Pilled up the stats against nothing Cook also shined bright and pilled on a 9.4 YPA and 206 yards. Matti had 5.8 YPA giving Cook a rest. Jefferson avg 21 YPC as he also had a great game. ST F'ed up missing an xtra point which is on par and having a punt blocked for good measure so it wasn't perfect. Stafford pulled his usual from my memory as he ripped our D for 16 straight completions in half one. Zim adjusted his pressure scheme at halftime and made Stafford look like junk as he tossed a couple picks and was knocked out in the 4th. Stafford licked his wounds as he contemplated his exit strategy. Rams better hope they keep blocking well or that's what will happen again. That's been the history and I doubt that changes at this point in his career.
0 x

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:47 am

Dalvin is out again today :wallbang: I would trade Dalvin for a ham sandwich and let Mattison start
0 x