Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 501

Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by RandyMoss84 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Vikings have signed former Rams wide receiver Trishon Jackson and former Steelers punter Jordan Berry
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 429

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by StumpHunter » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:25 pm

Berry was only a slightly below average punter last year statistically, compared to Colquitt who was one of the worst. Not the best leg, and he isn't going to flip the field for us when the offense goes 3 and out from inside the 10, but he should do a little better than our previous punter.

The WR was not very productive in preseason and looks like he might be a passion project for the GM. Not sure what he sees there. Rams "fans" don't really seem to care he was cut and that is never good.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8749
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1220

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am

Once again, we go through a last-minute punter change.

What’s the big deal, you ask?

Because the punter is also the holder for FGs and XPs.

Every time Zimmer messes with the long snapper-holder-kicker interaction, the kicking game falls apart.

I’m turning into a skeptic. I don’t like this feeling.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by VikingsVictorious » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:33 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am
Once again, we go through a last-minute punter change.

What’s the big deal, you ask?

Because the punter is also the holder for FGs and XPs.

Every time Zimmer messes with the long snapper-holder-kicker interaction, the kicking game falls apart.

I’m turning into a skeptic. I don’t like this feeling.
Colquitt IMO is a solid punter. Used to be great, but maybe time has caught up with him. I'm with you. I don't like this move at all.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 429

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:17 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am
Once again, we go through a last-minute punter change.

What’s the big deal, you ask?

Because the punter is also the holder for FGs and XPs.

Every time Zimmer messes with the long snapper-holder-kicker interaction, the kicking game falls apart.

I’m turning into a skeptic. I don’t like this feeling.
I think they held onto the worst punter in the league last year for as long as they did for that very reason. Joseph's inconsistency even with Colquitt probably was why they felt they could move on.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 501

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by RandyMoss84 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:30 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:33 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am
Once again, we go through a last-minute punter change.

What’s the big deal, you ask?

Because the punter is also the holder for FGs and XPs.

Every time Zimmer messes with the long snapper-holder-kicker interaction, the kicking game falls apart.

I’m turning into a skeptic. I don’t like this feeling.
Colquitt IMO is a solid punter. Used to be great, but maybe time has caught up with him. I'm with you. I don't like this move at all.
You mean was, Colquitt was awful last year
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by VikingsVictorious » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:42 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:30 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:33 am

Colquitt IMO is a solid punter. Used to be great, but maybe time has caught up with him. I'm with you. I don't like this move at all.
You mean was, Colquitt was awful last year
that was last year. He punted extremely well the last preseason game.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 429

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by StumpHunter » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:40 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:42 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:30 pm


You mean was, Colquitt was awful last year
that was last year. He punted extremely well the last preseason game.
Clearly not or he would probably still be a Viking.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8749
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1220

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:17 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am
Once again, we go through a last-minute punter change.

What’s the big deal, you ask?

Because the punter is also the holder for FGs and XPs.

Every time Zimmer messes with the long snapper-holder-kicker interaction, the kicking game falls apart.

I’m turning into a skeptic. I don’t like this feeling.
I think they held onto the worst punter in the league last year for as long as they did for that very reason. Joseph's inconsistency even with Colquitt probably was why they felt they could move on.
Yeah, I don't know.

Joseph missed two kicks in the preseason, both from 50+ yards. The one in KC was hit solid, plenty of leg, right on line, and then the wind obliterated it.

Not only that, Mike Zimmer singled out Colquitt as being really good after a terrible first preseason game. Now he cuts him?

It just feels like we're always monkeying around with those three positions. Going into his 8th season as head coach, Zimmer has employed 5 different kickers, 5 different punters, and 4 different long snappers. Seems like a lot of turnover to me. I mean, is it just a coincidence that Zimmer's teams always have kicking issues? Bad luck?
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by VikingsVictorious » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:57 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:40 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:42 pm

that was last year. He punted extremely well the last preseason game.
Clearly not or he would probably still be a Viking.
Nope. He punted very well the last preseason game and they released him anyway.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by VikingsVictorious » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:58 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:17 pm


I think they held onto the worst punter in the league last year for as long as they did for that very reason. Joseph's inconsistency even with Colquitt probably was why they felt they could move on.
Yeah, I don't know.

Joseph missed two kicks in the preseason, both from 50+ yards. The one in KC was hit solid, plenty of leg, right on line, and then the wind obliterated it.

Not only that, Mike Zimmer singled out Colquitt as being really good after a terrible first preseason game. Now he cuts him?

It just feels like we're always monkeying around with those three positions. Going into his 8th season as head coach, Zimmer has employed 5 different kickers, 5 different punters, and 4 different long snappers. Seems like a lot of turnover to me. I mean, is it just a coincidence that Zimmer's teams always have kicking issues? Bad luck?
I think Zimmer's lack of confidence in his kickers gets in their heads and causes them to play poorly. IMO it's on Zimmer.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 429

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by StumpHunter » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:29 am

The Vikings have made 81% of their kicks since Zimmer became HC. That is the same as Detroit who had Matt Prater during that entire time, and kicked all of their home games indoors (something the Vikings did not do in 2014 and 2015). It is also the same as the Bears and the 3% points less than the Packers who were 12th in FGs % during that time.

In fact the Vikings were just 5 made FGs away from being average in that statistic, less than one a year. This, despite trotting out a bunch of has-been's and never weres' kickers.

And before someone brings up the Carlson stuff. The Raiders have made 81% of their kicks since 2018 when we gifted them their great kicker. The Viking's 89% of their kicks. That 89% includes the misses Carlson had for us in 2018, btw.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8749
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1220

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:29 am
The Vikings have made 81% of their kicks since Zimmer became HC. That is the same as Detroit who had Matt Prater during that entire time, and kicked all of their home games indoors (something the Vikings did not do in 2014 and 2015). It is also the same as the Bears and the 3% points less than the Packers who were 12th in FGs % during that time.

In fact the Vikings were just 5 made FGs away from being average in that statistic, less than one a year. This, despite trotting out a bunch of has-been's and never weres' kickers.

And before someone brings up the Carlson stuff. The Raiders have made 81% of their kicks since 2018 when we gifted them their great kicker. The Viking's 89% of their kicks. That 89% includes the misses Carlson had for us in 2018, btw.
Interesting stats. Thanks for researching.

It actually serves to frustrate me further. If our kicking game is basically on par with all the teams in our division, then why does Mike Zimmer keep changing specialists? Maybe HE is the one who needs to learn that perfection is impossible.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm
x 37

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by Dmizzle0 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:40 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:29 am
The Vikings have made 81% of their kicks since Zimmer became HC. That is the same as Detroit who had Matt Prater during that entire time, and kicked all of their home games indoors (something the Vikings did not do in 2014 and 2015). It is also the same as the Bears and the 3% points less than the Packers who were 12th in FGs % during that time.

In fact the Vikings were just 5 made FGs away from being average in that statistic, less than one a year. This, despite trotting out a bunch of has-been's and never weres' kickers.

And before someone brings up the Carlson stuff. The Raiders have made 81% of their kicks since 2018 when we gifted them their great kicker. The Viking's 89% of their kicks. That 89% includes the misses Carlson had for us in 2018, btw.
Interesting stats. Thanks for researching.

It actually serves to frustrate me further. If our kicking game is basically on par with all the teams in our division, then why does Mike Zimmer keep changing specialists? Maybe HE is the one who needs to learn that perfection is impossible.
Maybe those misses were in clutch situations? I don't know if that's important but that stat is actually impressive considering how we generally feel about the Vikings kicking game.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Vikings sign Trishon Jackson and Jordan Berry

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:37 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:29 am
The Vikings have made 81% of their kicks since Zimmer became HC. That is the same as Detroit who had Matt Prater during that entire time, and kicked all of their home games indoors (something the Vikings did not do in 2014 and 2015). It is also the same as the Bears and the 3% points less than the Packers who were 12th in FGs % during that time.

In fact the Vikings were just 5 made FGs away from being average in that statistic, less than one a year. This, despite trotting out a bunch of has-been's and never weres' kickers.

And before someone brings up the Carlson stuff. The Raiders have made 81% of their kicks since 2018 when we gifted them their great kicker. The Viking's 89% of their kicks. That 89% includes the misses Carlson had for us in 2018, btw.
Interesting stats. Thanks for researching.

It actually serves to frustrate me further. If our kicking game is basically on par with all the teams in our division, then why does Mike Zimmer keep changing specialists? Maybe HE is the one who needs to learn that perfection is impossible.
Absolutely. Zimmer shows obvious disdain for kickers. IMO it's unprofessional and counterproductive. :wallbang:
0 x