Chandler Jones

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Chandler Jones

Post by VikingsVictorious »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:10 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm
Weatherly is most likely the starter, but if we had Jones he wouldn't be coming over as a backup. It seems you know almost nothing about Chandler Jones.
I'm kind of surprised at some of the comments in here. Jones is right up there with JJ Watt for best pass rusher in this era and people are wondering/assuming he might be a back up to Weatherly or Wonnum? This guy is a double digit guy every year and has come close breaking the sack record. For reference he's played one less season than Watt and only trails him by 4 sacks. If we could land Jones I'd be beyond thrilled, we would have the best combo edge rushers in the league by far.
Only Randy thought he would be coming over as a backup.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:37 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 am
I would disagree. IMO he's currently our second best pass rusher behind only Hunter.
That would make this dline almost as bad as 2020.

Weatherly's Pass Rush Win % Rank:
2018: 92nd out of 109 Edge Rushers
2019: 94th out of 105
2020: 109th out of 121

Weatherly's Pressure % Rank:
2018: 77th out of 109
2019: 78th out of 105
2020: 115th out of 121

Pass Rush Grade:
2018: 80th out of 109
2019: 105th out of 105
2020: 108th out of 121

Wonnum wasn't much better last season, but he was a rookie in a season where almost all rookie dlinemen sucked, and he was better. As far as DTs, Richardson and Tomlinson didn't exactly light the world on fire last year from a pass rush standpoint, but they were significantly better at getting after the QB than Weatherly did last year, at a position that typically doesn't get after the QB as much as DE.
Yeah I agree with you here Stump. I honestly dont think Weatherly is very good at all. His last year here he was drastically outplayed by Odenigbo who was getting even less playing time. He'll make a splash play once in a great while but not starting material at all. I dont think it will be long before either Patrick Jones or Janarius Robinson takes over. Even Wonnum given he has that year of experience already. All it's going to take (or all it should take) is for Weatherly to play like the boring Weatherly he is and Jones, Robinson or Wonnum to get some burn and snag a couple sacks.

Jones is crazy explosive off the line. His get off reminds me a lot of Eversons. He's more of a natural and experienced pass rusher. Robinson is more of the Hunter type in terms of the length, athleticism, etc but just raw. But I 100% have faith in Coach Patt to get at least one if not both of those guys playing good football. If Weatherly is the starter by seasons end, I'd be beyond floored. Wonnum I feel like is just a better version of Weatherly. I'm more of a fan of Jones' get off and Robinson's raw potential than I am Wonnum overall ability. But I'd even have Wonnum in over Weatherly.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

In terms of Chandler Jones, if we found a way to trade for him I'd jump for joy. To think he'd come in here as a backup is crazy. He's still one of the best pure pass rushers in the NFL. However I do feel like his style is very similar to Ngakoue's in terms of being that stand up type DE which doesnt really fit this scheme. Yannick was still super explosive last year when he was on the field but I feel like that was more Zim not adjusting to his strengths but I could be wrong. Chandler is a much better version of Ngakoue though. I think it would be an awesome trade if we could swing it but not sure if I see it happening.

Honestly, I'm still completely fine with what I said when I did my offseason mock, re-sign Everson. Who knows if his head is all there still but the guy can still play. He had 6.5 sacks last year on 2 awful defenses. And he was playing as a situational rusher. He'd come back here and be an instant starter. However, he kind of shoots himself in the foot every time he gets on Twitter and ran his mouth about Cousins which didnt help. But rumor has it he apologized for it and still really wants to come back.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri