Rookies in the news

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Rookies in the news

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:42 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:38 pm Jordan Love not playing for the Pukers today. I wonder why? 4th Quarter to go. Maybe he will make an appearance.
He hurt his shoulder in the last game and Lefleur said it was unlikely he would play.
Lefleur??
Are they a Dodgeball team? Can we see them on ESPN 8 The Ocho?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Trey Lance looked really, really good. Go Bison.

Trask, a guy many wanted the Vikings to take looked much worse than even Browning. 2 picks, inaccurate, slow to make reads and he didn't miss two weeks due to Covid.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:12 am Trey Lance looked really, really good. Go Bison.

Trask, a guy many wanted the Vikings to take looked much worse than even Browning. 2 picks, inaccurate, slow to make reads and he didn't miss two weeks due to Covid.
I have to say I was surprised at how good Lance looked. Shocked, actually. I thought he was easily the riskiest pick at the top of the 1st round and would require the most time to settle in and he's come out of the gate blazing.

I was pretty high on Trask coming out and I still largely am, but he hasn't looked comfortable at all and there are times when his physical limitations have shown through. Good thing he will get a chance to sit because if he had to start I think that would be a very painful experience for everyone involved, least of all Trask.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:03 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:12 am Trey Lance looked really, really good. Go Bison.

I have to say I was surprised at how good Lance looked. Shocked, actually. I thought he was easily the riskiest pick at the top of the 1st round and would require the most time to settle in and he's come out of the gate blazing.

I was pretty high on Trask coming out and I still largely am, but he hasn't looked comfortable at all and there are times when his physical limitations have shown through. Good thing he will get a chance to sit because if he had to start I think that would be a very painful experience for everyone involved, least of all Trask.
Pre season is a tough one to figure out. Week 2 stats for Zach Wilson 9-11, 128 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 154.7 rating. That's off the charts and better than the pre season HOFer K Sloter. Based on what Wilson did he looks like the real deal. I liked Trask also but he looks like garbage. Last year I liked Drew Lock. Can't beat out Teddy. So he sucks big time right now. QBs are hard to figure out even for the pros. Typically you won't get much from a rookie QB. It's usually a few years of struggle before the light comes on. I think it's the hardest position to play in team sports. Even a basic check down pass looks easy but it's not. That's why they get the big bucks. Lance is on a pedestal right now and he may be the best in this class. 49ers were smart. They have a Super Bowl QB and still added a guy. That's how you run a team. They want to win and are pulling out all stops to do it. They probably trade Jimmy G at some point and get a ton and play this kid who is making nothing in QB terms. Allows a team to hit the FA market. Of course once the bell rings it will look much different. Jimmy G could get back into a SB groove and Lance becomes an after thought. Brady could get knocked out and Trask come in and play well. It's a guess in everyone's head.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Pre season is a tough one to figure out. Week 2 stats for Zach Wilson 9-11, 128 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 154.7 rating. That's off the charts and better than the pre season HOFer K Sloter. Based on what Wilson did he looks like the real deal. I liked Trask also but he looks like garbage. Last year I liked Drew Lock. Can't beat out Teddy. So he sucks big time right now. QBs are hard to figure out even for the pros. Typically you won't get much from a rookie QB. It's usually a few years of struggle before the light comes on. I think it's the hardest position to play in team sports. Even a basic check down pass looks easy but it's not. That's why they get the big bucks. Lance is on a pedestal right now and he may be the best in this class. 49ers were smart. They have a Super Bowl QB and still added a guy. That's how you run a team. They want to win and are pulling out all stops to do it. They probably trade Jimmy G at some point and get a ton and play this kid who is making nothing in QB terms. Allows a team to hit the FA market. Of course once the bell rings it will look much different. Jimmy G could get back into a SB groove and Lance becomes an after thought. Brady could get knocked out and Trask come in and play well. It's a guess in everyone's head.
You make a good point that its too early to say any of the 1st round picks are going to make it much less become stars, but based on early returns it looks like a few teams hit paydirt with their picks.

You might have touched on this in another thread, but what do you think about Mond so far? I was pretty psyched the Vikings got him but I can't say I've been impressed. He's definitely athletic and can move, but his accuracy hasn't been great, he's slow to process what he's seeing, and he bails too early. Granted, he hasn't gotten great blocking so it's hard to say, but he looks like he needs more time to marinate before he's ready.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:31 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 am
You make a good point that its too early to say any of the 1st round picks are going to make it much less become stars, but based on early returns it looks like a few teams hit paydirt with their picks.
There was an article posted that I can't find at the moment that showed there was zero correlation between rookie QB success in the preseason and success in the regular season.

It actually means nothing, but it is all we have to talk about.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:39 pm
VikingLord wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:31 pm

There was an article posted that I can't find at the moment that showed there was zero correlation between rookie QB success in the preseason and success in the regular season.

That makes sense, but still, rookies do display some things even in the preseason that can be harbingers of future success.

For QBs, you can see how they process the field, both how quickly they do it and how accurately they do it. Most rookie QBs struggle to understand defenses pre-snap, struggle with pocket awareness and movement, and fail to process the field post-snap which leads them to give up quickly and take off running or struggle with accuracy (both things we've seen from Mond). In the case of a guy like Browning (I know he's not a rookie per se, but he's an inexperienced, young QB), those failures manifest in a bunch of checkdowns, often sooner than the pressure dictates.

So to see a rookie QB do those things well, or even any of those things well, is pretty unusual. Granted, the pressure is off for most of these guys, and pressure is a killer for most normal people, but at the very least those rookie QBs are showing they have the raw tools to succeed quickly at the pro level.

Got to wonder if good coaching is a factor too. A lot of it has to be between the ears both in terms of how the player approaches the game and how they deal with success and failure. Those are things a good coach can help with.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Yup I wanted Trask. But also wanted mond after Trask went. I mean if you’re going to fault Tampa Bays front office for talent evaluation, you must really know what you’re talking about.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:56 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:39 pm

That makes sense, but still, rookies do display some things even in the preseason that can be harbingers of future success.

For QBs, you can see how they process the field, both how quickly they do it and how accurately they do it. Most rookie QBs struggle to understand defenses pre-snap, struggle with pocket awareness and movement, and fail to process the field post-snap which leads them to give up quickly and take off running or struggle with accuracy (both things we've seen from Mond). In the case of a guy like Browning (I know he's not a rookie per se, but he's an inexperienced, young QB), those failures manifest in a bunch of checkdowns, often sooner than the pressure dictates.

So to see a rookie QB do those things well, or even any of those things well, is pretty unusual. Granted, the pressure is off for most of these guys, and pressure is a killer for most normal people, but at the very least those rookie QBs are showing they have the raw tools to succeed quickly at the pro level.

Got to wonder if good coaching is a factor too. A lot of it has to be between the ears both in terms of how the player approaches the game and how they deal with success and failure. Those are things a good coach can help with.
Between the ears is probably the most important piece of the QB puzzle. It's easy to test physical skills but the mental side is much more difficult. You bring up great points about Mond who I think was over drafted by us. He needs to start from square one. Forget everything which tells me he's years away. Not a knock it's what Rick picked. That's how you F up the QB stack. We have a starter who is as good as gone and nothing that can play behind him. The guy I liked coming out was Lock and he didn't look to happy losing the job to the stiff Teddy so I'm sure he wants out. Trade for him. At least then we have a guy that has stepped on an NFL field and thrown a pass in his life and can continue to develop. Of course that will never happen. More than likely Mannion will be back to carry Kirks lap top for him. It don't matter we are in live or die mode this season which may be a good thing. This whole team is basically a one year rental.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Yup I wanted Trask. But also wanted mond after Trask went. I mean if you’re going to fault Tampa Bays front office for talent evaluation, you must really know what you’re talking about.
Jeez, I point out that our rookie QB played better than Tampa's and you even get defensive about that.

I had no idea who specifically wanted Trask, just that some Vikings fans wanted him instead of Mond. Wasn't targeted.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:05 am We have a starter who is as good as gone and nothing that can play behind him.
Why is he as good as gone?