Rookies in the news

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Rookies in the news

Post by IIsweet »

Apart from Twyman being shot, how are the kids doing? I hear other QBs are looking great, Mac Jones and Kyle Trask in particular. Curious as to any updates on Mond ?
Same with Wyatt Davis, Patrick Jones, and Chaz Surratt, and co.
Being in Florida, I hear very little of them.
Please share ....
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Rookies in the news

Post by VikingsVictorious »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:45 pm Apart from Twyman being shot, how are the kids doing? I hear other QBs are looking great, Mac Jones and Kyle Trask in particular. Curious as to any updates on Mond ?
Please share ....
I heard very bad reports on Mac Jones.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:53 pm
IIsweet wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:45 pm Apart from Twyman being shot, how are the kids doing? I hear other QBs are looking great, Mac Jones and Kyle Trask in particular. Curious as to any updates on Mond ?
Please share ....
Like this?
Unsurprisingly, the quarterback position in the spotlight once again. And for the second day in a row one passer stood out. First-round rookie Mac Jones was the most active member of the group and, according to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, “the best QB on the field” as well.

“It’s still way too early to predict the outcome of the quarterback battle. Padded practices and preseason will be paramount. But the past week shows me Mac Jones absolutely has a chance to win the job later this summer,” he wrote.

There will be no negative reports at this time. Mac Jones is the best. We'll see. Every rookie will be talked about in a positive way. You won't hear any coach for teams that will come out and say this rookie sucks and has no chance to play in the NFL which is most of them or this vet player has no chance of making the team. If there is a report on Mond it will be he looks like the real deal or he was the steal of the draft or once Cousins bolts we have our long term guy in place or some mean nothing BS like that. It works that way every year. Nobody gets cut now.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:23 pm
Like this?
Unsurprisingly, the quarterback position in the spotlight once again. And for the second day in a row one passer stood out. First-round rookie Mac Jones was the most active member of the group and, according to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, “the best QB on the field” as well.

“It’s still way too early to predict the outcome of the quarterback battle. Padded practices and preseason will be paramount. But the past week shows me Mac Jones absolutely has a chance to win the job later this summer,” he wrote.

There will be no negative reports at this time. Mac Jones is the best. We'll see. Every rookie will be talked about in a positive way. You won't hear any coach for teams that will come out and say this rookie sucks and has no chance to play in the NFL which is most of them or this vet player has no chance of making the team. If there is a report on Mond it will be he looks like the real deal or he was the steal of the draft or once Cousins bolts we have our long term guy in place or some mean nothing BS like that. It works that way every year. Nobody gets cut now.
I will add this Jones fell in our lap. That pick needed to be made IMO. During the draft I said this worked out perfectly. There were rumors that the Saints wanted to move up but trader down Rick who was looking to head south already made the Jet deal. I liked that Trask kid also. The only team that showed early interest was the Bucs. Once trader down made his move he wasn't about to move up for a QB. Of course the odds of either of them being quality starters isn't very good. But when it's there do it. The 49ers are the team with balls. Maybe that's why Jimmy G lead them to the show. No risk it no biscuit.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Like this?

One guy saying something nice about him. The early reports were that he looked lost out there. I'm very happy about having Darrisaw, Mond and Wyatt Davis instead. Time will tell.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:23 am
Like this?

One guy saying something nice about him. The early reports was that he looked lost out there. I'm very happy about having Darrisaw, Mond and Wyatt Davis instead. Time will tell.
I am pretty confident Mac Jones can have some success in NE, even Matt Cassel looked good in a Patriots uniform. I have doubts whether he would anywhere else though, and if even in NE he ever amounts to anything more than a system QB who is just good enough to keep NE relevant, but not good enough to ever crack the top 10 of QBs.

Pocket passers are a thing of the past and the best of them that have been drafted since 2009, Goff, Cousins, Carr, and Stafford, are guys who just can't seem to elevate their teams. Jones probably falls into that same category at best.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Great. Thanks dudes. Appreciate the updates.
Was just hoping that something was out there. Also curious as to DJ Wonnum and Troy Dye.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:16 am Great. Thanks dudes. Appreciate the updates.
Was just hoping that something was out there. Also curious as to DJ Wonnum and Troy Dye.
Harrison Smith was just saying Weatherly will be a key addition this year, which doesn't bode well for Wonnum or the Vikings.

As far as Mond, all I have heard is that he looks like he belongs and that he isn't getting a lot of reps.

Fields apparently has had great mini camps and OTAs.

Trask is probably not getting a lot of reps since he is in the same boat as Mond, but he likely would look good with no pass rush throwing to great receivers since he was used to that in college.

Jones has been up and down.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Truly a boring stretch as we wait for training camp. I did not hear anything particularly good or bad on the rookies in mini camps. As noted they were not being used on the first team, and reps were a bit limited. Which essentially means nothing of significance. With the Twins being declared clinically dead, and me not much of a soccer fan training camp cannot open soon enough.

I am starved for a little positivity in the Minnesota sports world. Opening of training camp will be my elixir for now.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It's really tough this time of year, even once they put on the pads. You can follow the beat writers like Arif Hasan on Twitter who gives his opinions but even he is probably 50/50 on his takes. I remember the year Keenum took us to the NFCC he was saying the guy could be cut in camp. Best is if multiple sources are saying the same thing. Dantzler last year is a good example.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

There has been at least some weeping and gnashing of teeth over the Bears getting Fields and us not getting him. One preseason game but here's what he did against the Bills.
9-19 80 yards. That's under 50% completions and only 4.2 yards per attempt. QbR of 59.1.

On the bright side he ran the ball 4 times for 46 yards.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordan Love not playing for the Pukers today. I wonder why? 4th Quarter to go. Maybe he will make an appearance.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:38 pm Jordan Love not playing for the Pukers today. I wonder why? 4th Quarter to go. Maybe he will make an appearance.
He hurt his shoulder in the last game and Lefleur said it was unlikely he would play.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:25 pm There has been at least some weeping and gnashing of teeth over the Bears getting Fields and us not getting him. One preseason game but here's what he did against the Bills.
9-19 80 yards. That's under 50% completions and only 4.2 yards per attempt. QbR of 59.1.

Dalton might have been worse. His one TD hit the defender in the helmet and then it took a bad tackle to even score on that. 2 easy wins this year?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:44 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:25 pm There has been at least some weeping and gnashing of teeth over the Bears getting Fields and us not getting him. One preseason game but here's what he did against the Bills.

Dalton might have been worse. His one TD hit the defender in the helmet and then it took a bad tackle to even score on that. 2 easy wins this year?
I like it. :govikes: