Championship Roster

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 am
x 49

Re: Championship Roster

Post by Thaumaturgist » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:06 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:45 am
VikingLord wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:42 am


And the refs... Can't forget the refs...

:lol:

I agree with you. No team has ever won with one player, but teams do win because of exceptional plays by individual players.

I'm really excited about this season. I just have a feeling this is going to be our year...
IMO no other team has a better shot than us of winning it all this season.
All I can say is that I wish I had your confidence! 😁
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Championship Roster

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:17 pm

Thaumaturgist wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:06 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:45 am

IMO no other team has a better shot than us of winning it all this season.
All I can say is that I wish I had your confidence! 😁
I'm a realist. I'm not expecting us to win it all. 31 other teams in the running for that. However, I like our chances as well or better than all of those 31 teams.
1 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12725
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 622

Re: Championship Roster

Post by S197 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:21 pm

Bisi Johnson tore his ACL in practice today. It was apparently a non-contact injury. KJ Osborn seems to be the guy out of all the WRs on the bubble making the biggest strides so far.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Championship Roster

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 pm

S197 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:21 pm
Bisi Johnson tore his ACL in practice today. It was apparently a non-contact injury. KJ Osborn seems to be the guy out of all the WRs on the bubble making the biggest strides so far.
Yep camp reports on Osborn are glowing.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8749
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1220

Re: Championship Roster

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:26 am

I want to add something.

Many Vikings fans are tired of Kirk Cousins. Many are fed up with Mike Zimmer. Others have had enough of Rick Spielman. I get it. Our team has been inconsistent over the past 7 seasons under Zimmer.

But let me add this. While I don't know if we truly have a championship roster, I do know that our roster is improved over last year. Of that, there can be no doubt. Zero.

We signed Dalvin Tomlinson, one of the top 3-techs in the league, especially against the run, where we were terrible last year.

We signed Patrick Peterson, an 8-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All Pro, and certain HOFer. Yes, he's older. But he can still play. His 3 interceptions last year would have been second on the Vikings behind Hit Man Harry.

We signed Bashaud Breeland, a starting corner on two Super Bowl teams in Kansas City.

We signed Xavier Woods, who had a down year but played safety for a defense that was as bad as ours, and who has been very good in the past.

We re-signed Mack Alexander, who played well for us before leaving for Cincinnati.

We re-signed Sheldon Richardson, still one of the better pass rushing tackles in the league.

We regain Danielle Hunter and his 14.5 sacks in each of 2018 and 2019.

We regain Eric Kendricks, the best MLB in the NFL.

We regain Anthony Barr ... maybe not all we'd hoped he would be, but certainly better than the journeymen we trotted out there last year.

We gain Michael Pierce, one of the top run-stuffing nose tackles in the NFL.

All our skill players return to an offense that scored 27 ppg (minus Kyle Rudolph, who might be addition by subtraction at this point in his career).

We drafted a couple of promising O-linemen in Christian Darrisaw and Wyatt Davis.

We signed Dede Westbrook, who had back-to-back 66 catch seasons in 2018 and 2019 as the WR3 in Jacksonville.

We hired Keenan McCardell, one of the best WR coaches in the league. I, for one, am excited to see what he does with guys like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen.

We drafted Kene Nwangwu and Imir Smith-Marsette to improve our awful return teams (wait until you see these guys run ... they're flat-out FAST).

ALL THIS – AND MAJOR MEDIA OUTLETS HAVE US AS THE 20th-BEST TEAM (OR WORSE) IN THE NFL. The Vegas over-under for our win total is 8.5, and most major media outlets are taking the under.

Don't get me wrong. After last year's debacle, I don't blame people of little knowledge, of which I consider most media, for underestimating the Vikings.

But this team won 7 games with the awful roster they had last year. If they had beaten Chicago in Week 16, they would have made the freaking playoffs. Think about that. They went 7-9 with a 3-win roster. We were 1-5 going into Green Bay. How easy would it have been to simply throw in the towel? Instead, they won 5 straight.

Again, I don't know if this is a championship roster. They may simply be short in key areas, such as the O-line.

But if the Vikings can't win more than 8 games with THIS roster, then Zimmer, Spielman and the entire lot of them need to be fired.

I believe it's going to be 11+ wins. I may simply be a senile old man who's drunk too much purple Koolaid, but that's what I'm going with.

SKOL!
2 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Championship Roster

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:41 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:26 am
I want to add something.

Many Vikings fans are tired of Kirk Cousins. Many are fed up with Mike Zimmer. Others have had enough of Rick Spielman. I get it. Our team has been inconsistent over the past 7 seasons under Zimmer.

But let me add this. While I don't know if we truly have a championship roster, I do know that our roster is improved over last year. Of that, there can be no doubt. Zero.

We signed Dalvin Tomlinson, one of the top 3-techs in the league, especially against the run, where we were terrible last year.

We signed Patrick Peterson, an 8-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All Pro, and certain HOFer. Yes, he's older. But he can still play. His 3 interceptions last year would have been second on the Vikings behind Hit Man Harry.

We signed Bashaud Breeland, a starting corner on two Super Bowl teams in Kansas City.

We signed Xavier Woods, who had a down year but played safety for a defense that was as bad as ours, and who has been very good in the past.

We re-signed Mack Alexander, who played well for us before leaving for Cincinnati.

We re-signed Sheldon Richardson, still one of the better pass rushing tackles in the league.

We regain Danielle Hunter and his 14.5 sacks in each of 2018 and 2019.

We regain Eric Kendricks, the best MLB in the NFL.

We regain Anthony Barr ... maybe not all we'd hoped he would be, but certainly better than the journeymen we trotted out there last year.

We gain Michael Pierce, one of the top run-stuffing nose tackles in the NFL.

All our skill players return to an offense that scored 27 ppg (minus Kyle Rudolph, who might be addition by subtraction at this point in his career).

We drafted a couple of promising O-linemen in Christian Darrisaw and Wyatt Davis.

We signed Dede Westbrook, who had back-to-back 66 catch seasons in 2018 and 2019 as the WR3 in Jacksonville.

We hired Keenan McCardell, one of the best WR coaches in the league. I, for one, am excited to see what he does with guys like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen.

We drafted Kene Nwangwu and Imir Smith-Marsette to improve our awful return teams (wait until you see these guys run ... they're flat-out FAST).

ALL THIS – AND MAJOR MEDIA OUTLETS HAVE US AS THE 20th-BEST TEAM (OR WORSE) IN THE NFL. The Vegas over-under for our win total is 8.5, and most major media outlets are taking the under.

Don't get me wrong. After last year's debacle, I don't blame people of little knowledge, of which I consider most media, for underestimating the Vikings.

But this team won 7 games with the awful roster they had last year. If they had beaten Chicago in Week 16, they would have made the freaking playoffs. Think about that. They went 7-9 with a 3-win roster. We were 1-5 going into Green Bay. How easy would it have been to simply throw in the towel? Instead, they won 5 straight.

Again, I don't know if this is a championship roster. They may simply be short in key areas, such as the O-line.

But if the Vikings can't win more than 8 games with THIS roster, then Zimmer, Spielman and the entire lot of them need to be fired.

I believe it's going to be 11+ wins. I may simply be a senile old man who's drunk too much purple Koolaid, but that's what I'm going with.

SKOL!
You got it just right. :govikes: :rock: :v):
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12725
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 622

Re: Championship Roster

Post by S197 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 pm

Darren Wolfson is reporting the Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league at 64.5% (70% in process). This isn't a championship roster if you can't play. Leave it to the Vikings to find the dumbest way possible to shoot yourself in the foot.
1 x

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 9048
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 248

Re: Championship Roster

Post by Cliff » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:33 am

I don't know about championship but it's an odd number year so it should be a better than normal year. Zimmer-led teams do pretty well every other year.
0 x

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 65

Re: Championship Roster

Post by vikeinmontana » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm

S197 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 pm
Darren Wolfson is reporting the Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league at 64.5% (70% in process). This isn't a championship roster if you can't play. Leave it to the Vikings to find the dumbest way possible to shoot yourself in the foot.
Overall I am kind of surprised by vaccination numbers in regards to sports teams. All sports teams. Every team I've been a part of or followed as a fan preaches team first. A brotherhood. Fighting for the guy next to you. Sacrificing for the greater good. Team before self. Doing whatever it takes to win. Now they have a perfect opportunity to do just that.

While overall it looks like the vaccination percentage of sports teams is higher than the national average, I guess I just thought by August 4th every team in all major sports would ALL be in the 90-100% range. Guess that was naive of me.
0 x
i'm ready for a beer.

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12725
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 622

Re: Championship Roster

Post by S197 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:07 pm

vikeinmontana wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm
S197 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 pm
Darren Wolfson is reporting the Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league at 64.5% (70% in process). This isn't a championship roster if you can't play. Leave it to the Vikings to find the dumbest way possible to shoot yourself in the foot.
Overall I am kind of surprised by vaccination numbers in regards to sports teams. All sports teams. Every team I've been a part of or followed as a fan preaches team first. A brotherhood. Fighting for the guy next to you. Sacrificing for the greater good. Team before self. Doing whatever it takes to win. Now they have a perfect opportunity to do just that.

While overall it looks like the vaccination percentage of sports teams is higher than the national average, I guess I just thought by August 4th every team in all major sports would ALL be in the 90-100% range. Guess that was naive of me.
I think this is a product of the leaders of the team being the prominent holdouts. Younger guys are likely to listen more to a Cousins, Thielen or Smith so it compounds the problem. If you look at other teams with strong leaders doing the right thing, the numbers are substantially better. The Bucs I believe are at 98% vaccinated and the Seahawks only have 1 non-vaccinated player.

Sometimes pressure works, Washington was previously the lowest team in the NFL and are now in the 80’s percentage wise. But given Zimmer’s open frustration, we may have a different situation here.
0 x

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 65

Re: Championship Roster

Post by vikeinmontana » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:24 pm

S197 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:07 pm
vikeinmontana wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm


Overall I am kind of surprised by vaccination numbers in regards to sports teams. All sports teams. Every team I've been a part of or followed as a fan preaches team first. A brotherhood. Fighting for the guy next to you. Sacrificing for the greater good. Team before self. Doing whatever it takes to win. Now they have a perfect opportunity to do just that.

While overall it looks like the vaccination percentage of sports teams is higher than the national average, I guess I just thought by August 4th every team in all major sports would ALL be in the 90-100% range. Guess that was naive of me.
I think this is a product of the leaders of the team being the prominent holdouts. Younger guys are likely to listen more to a Cousins, Thielen or Smith so it compounds the problem. If you look at other teams with strong leaders doing the right thing, the numbers are substantially better. The Bucs I believe are at 98% vaccinated and the Seahawks only have 1 non-vaccinated player.

Sometimes pressure works, Washington was previously the lowest team in the NFL and are now in the 80’s percentage wise. But given Zimmer’s open frustration, we may have a different situation here.
Great point, and one I didn't consider.
0 x
i'm ready for a beer.

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12725
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 622

Re: Championship Roster

Post by S197 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:20 pm

For the James Lynch fans:

https://twitter.com/goesslingstrib/stat ... 72034?s=21

The NT conversation is interesting, he seems way too small for that role.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12725
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 622

Re: Championship Roster

Post by S197 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:16 pm

While I didn’t expect him to make the team, Brailford being one of the first 2 cuts is a bit surprising. I think many will enjoy the comments section.

https://twitter.com/vikings/status/1427 ... 34016?s=21
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 493

Re: Championship Roster

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:54 am

It's really starting to look like injuries will once again derail a Vikings season. Rashod Hill and Blake Brandel are not going to cut it at LT.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 429

Re: Championship Roster

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:54 am
It's really starting to look like injuries will once again derail a Vikings season. Rashod Hill and Blake Brandel are not going to cut it at LT.
I think we are finding out why Darrisaw fell past a couple of LT needy teams(including arguably the most competent Oline drafting team in Indy) and why Rick didn't want to spend the 14th on him.

Cutting Reiff was the right move for a team on a rebuild, but it is a move that was always going to hurt us this year as a rookie or Hill struggled to play competent LT.
0 x