Hunter to skip mandatory minicamp

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Hunter to skip mandatory minicamp

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Hunter to skip mandatory minicamp

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Unfortunately this team always seems to have it's fair share of drama. I just want to watch some football... Hopefully good football.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Did you expect everything to go right? Always need something to upset the apple cart. If we get lucky and Rodgers is out we won't need him for the division anyway. If Kirk don't get killed and Rodgers is gone we have a great chance to win the division. That will be a good parting gift for Kirk. He will be called a winner for once. Of course it won't work that way we couldn't get that lucky. It will be either the Packers work the Rodgers stuff out and he's MVP again or Cousins will get knocked out behind this sive OL. He's dodge the bullet for awhile now and things don't last forever.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

That article didn't say Hunter was going to skip mini camp. It said they think he probably won't attend mini camp. I could have said the same thing. I'm expecting his absence, but hopeful of his presence. What does Hunter expect from the Vikings. To tear up his old contract and give him a huge raise in pay without even seeing if he can still play after neck surgery?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'd just let him sit out the year if it comes to that. His stock now is lower than it has been since he was an unproven rookie. You don't sell low.
mael·strom

VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

It is no secret Hunter is on the list of contracts to be redone. I am sure he knows it. I suspect the two sides have had contact, but everyone is keeping discussion private. That generally bodes well, and gives reason to think they are not far apart.

From what I have read fining Hunter is optional for the team should he miss the mandatory mini camp. Kind of get the vibe the Vikings will not levy a fine. Which in my mind also supports the idea there is communication going on privately. Granted this is just speculation on my part, but I currently see nothing significant to worry about.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Tomorrow we find out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingTom wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:38 am It is no secret Hunter is on the list of contracts to be redone. I am sure he knows it. I suspect the two sides have had contact, but everyone is keeping discussion private. That generally bodes well, and gives reason to think they are not far apart.

From what I have read fining Hunter is optional for the team should he miss the mandatory mini camp. Kind of get the vibe the Vikings will not levy a fine. Which in my mind also supports the idea there is communication going on privately. Granted this is just speculation on my part, but I currently see nothing significant to worry about.
Why would the Vikings feel it necessary to re-do Hunter's contract under these circumstances? He just signed an extension not too long ago that paid him well and was in line with what top DE's were making at the time, he just spent the last year on IR with what could be a serious injury and nobody knows if he's fully recovered from it because apparently he's not willing to get on the field with the rest of his team and show anyone, and he's not exactly showing a great attitude by airing his discontent publicly.

There are SO many reasons why the Vikings shouldn't just give in to Hunter in this situation and few, if any I can think of, that they should. I think the best bet is to try to trade him during the offseason, but since any potential trade partner not only has to pay up to meet Hunter's demands, but also accept the injury risk associated with him, that's going to be a really hard sell.

If the Vikings don't start fining Hunter they're setting an awful precedent as well. Any player who feels like he should be getting more under any circumstance will be tempted to do the same thing in the future, and that will be an unholy mess for the team. Spielman needs to enforce the contract as written, including the penalties, and if he's so inclined he should tell Hunter's agent that he's open to considering an early extension if Hunter shows up and shows he's still the impact player he was before the injury.

In no way should Spielman reward or otherwise encourage Hunter's behavior if his actions hurt the team. Do NOT negotiate with terrorists.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I just read an article on NFL.com stating that Hunter IS reporting for mini camp. According to James Jones. Shocking that Jones is actually speaking on something other than Erin and anything Erin, since he has such a huge man crush on him and seems to think.the world revolves around Rodgers. Lol.
But per some source he reports Hunter will report???
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:52 am I just read an article on NFL.com stating that Hunter IS reporting for mini camp. According to James Jones. Shocking that Jones is actually speaking on something other than Erin and anything Erin, since he has such a huge man crush on him and seems to think.the world revolves around Rodgers. Lol.
But per some source he reports Hunter will report???
I saw it also. He's our best D player.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I was right to question the report of him skipping mini camp. I'm glad to know that Hunter isn't that stupid. Now let's see if he actually takes the practice field.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

They restructured his deal. Now they will see if he can still play this year and make a decision on whether he's a long term solution or not.

https://www.nfl.com/news/de-danielle-hu ... tured-deal
mael·strom

Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:25 pm They restructured his deal. Now they will see if he can still play this year and make a decision on whether he's a long term solution or not.

https://www.nfl.com/news/de-danielle-hu ... tured-deal
SWEET! I'm happy with this.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm trying to figure out what is going on. If I understand correctly they converted some of his money this year to a signing bonus. He doesn't get one cent more pay this year, but he gets it sooner. Next year just for being on the roster he gets 18 million with 20 million total compensation? How much extra pay is that. Does the contract now end after next year so one year was chopped off? If Hunter isn't looking very good this year the Vikings can cut him before next year and save how much?

In the end it doesn't appear that the Vikings caved in too badly, but if the deal is now 4 years instead of 5 we lost a year of Hunter's services.