Rest In Peace Jerry Burns

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Rest In Peace Jerry Burns

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I have always thought he is an average coach but he deserves major credit for upsets of Saints and 49ers in the playoffs and I loved his rants! Rest i. Peace Mr. Burns
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Re: Rest In Peace Jerry Burns

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

RIP Jerry, God Speed.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Straight Shooter.

Everyone knew exactly where they stood with Burns, including the media and the fans.

Rest in Peace Jerry Burns
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Rest In Peace Burnsie. Loved the guy. Never had an unspoken thought it seemed. Which made him all the more loveable.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Thanks for all the memories Jerry. That was a great run to the Champ game. Exciting football. Plus he had Fran hitting Foreman out of the backfield often. Made it to 94 years of age.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

if you remember Burnsie, you been a fan awhile. Been a fan since 1962...faced my share of heart break as has most of us.... RIP Burnsie.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bill Walsh is credited with inventing the West Coast offense, but Burns was employing a more horizontal passing game as Vikings OC before Walsh came along. Burns was a helluva OC and doesn’t get enough credit.

RIP Jerry. Thanks for being a great Viking.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:05 am Bill Walsh is credited with inventing the West Coast offense, but Burns was employing a more horizontal passing game as Vikings OC before Walsh came along. Burns was a helluva OC and doesn’t get enough credit.

Yeah, he was a great offensive coordinator, too bad he was not a great head coach
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:00 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:05 am Bill Walsh is credited with inventing the West Coast offense, but Burns was employing a more horizontal passing game as Vikings OC before Walsh came along. Burns was a helluva OC and doesn’t get enough credit.

Yeah, he was a great offensive coordinator, too bad he was not a great head coach
Is there a reason you feel the need to trample on the man's legacy?

Burns was 55-46 (.545) as a head coach, including 3-3 in the playoffs. It's not like he sucked or anything.

Many former Vikings players credit Burns for making them the players they became. Fran Tarkenton said he saved his career. Bud Grant worked a coach short for an entire year, holding a spot open on his staff waiting for Burns' contract to expire so he could hire him. He's also in the Vikings' Ring of Honor, so apparently the organization didn't think he sucked.

Then again, I doubt you ever watched a game he coached, either as a coordinator or a head coach.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm I have always thought he is an average coach but he deserves major credit for upsets of Saints and 49ers in the playoffs and I loved his rants! Rest i. Peace Mr. Burns
He was a brilliant offensive coordinator creating what became known as the west coast offense when Bill Walsh borrowed from Burns and added a couple wrinkles of his own.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:54 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Is there a reason you feel the need to trample on the man's legacy?

Burns was 55-46 (.545) as a head coach, including 3-3 in the playoffs. It's not like he sucked or anything.

Many former Vikings players credit Burns for making them the players they became. Fran Tarkenton said he saved his career. Bud Grant worked a coach short for an entire year, holding a spot open on his staff waiting for Burns' contract to expire so he could hire him. He's also in the Vikings' Ring of Honor, so apparently the organization didn't think he sucked.

Then again, I doubt you ever watched a game he coached, either as a coordinator or a head coach.
I am a Vikings fan since 1961 so I have watched every game he coached his entire career and he is a great offensive coordinator but an above average head coach so I am just stating my opinion so chill out
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I never watched him coach but some of his press conferences on YouTube are gold. RIP
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Straight forward. I remember one post game presser after our kicker missed a chip shot to win the game and when asked about it he said something like "so what do you want me to do? Shoot him?".
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

It might have been the punter shanking one, don't remember but I remember his response. RIP
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Tark wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:49 am Straight forward. I remember one post game presser after our kicker missed a chip shot to win the game and when asked about it he said something like "so what do you want me to do? Shoot him?".
Burns could come up with some good ones. I do remember what you just posted. It may not be exact but that don't even matter. I liked when he said if Fenney picks up his feet he walks into the end zone. At the end of the day Burns cared about his players and the staff that worked under him. He would go out of his way to protect/support them. That came from Bud.