Vikings Interested in Ryan Kerrigan

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings Interested in Ryan Kerrigan

Post by Rhodes Closed »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vikingswir ... rigan/amp/
The Vikings might be getting some help opposite Danielle Hunter on the defensive line.

Per Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis, the Vikings have shown interest in four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Ryan Kerrigan.

Kerrigan, 32, has spent his whole 10-year career with Washington, piling up 95.5 sacks. After starting every game that he appeared in during his career, Kerrigan’s role in 2020 lessened, with him starting just one game. Even so, he still piled up 5.5 sacks for the second straight season.

Wolfson also reported that the Vikings have checked in on the status of former Jaguars receiver Dede Westbrook.
Kerrigan would be an excellent pick up for the Vikings and would make that defensive line absolutely scary. If anyone would know how to use Kerrigan too, it would be Andre Patterson. I'm all for it after the June 1st cap increase.
Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Re: Vikings Interested in Ryan Kerrigan

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

Kerrigan would be a addition.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Showing interest and actually signing the guy are worlds apart. It would be a nice addition though...

I'm "meh" on Westbrook :confused:
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think he would be a nice veteran addition. I'm a little worried about the DE spot outside of Hunter. A lot of unproven talent.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Signed with Eagles
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Had an identical pass rush win rate to Wonnum's on a significantly better Dline overall and playing in front of a secondary that was much better at covering.

The Eagles can have him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am Had an identical pass rush win rate to Wonnum's on a significantly better Dline overall and playing in front of a secondary that was much better at covering.

The Eagles can have him.
I'm actually bummed about this. I thought we'd snag him. Whatever the win rate may be, Kerrigan is a sack machine. Just to put his numbers into perspective, he has 95.5 career sacks. Everson Griffen has 80.5 and Griff has a year on him. We dont need an every down DE that stays on the field all game. Especially because I believe Patrick Jones is going to be a good player. We simply need a veteran that's a solid situational pass rusher like Kerrigan or Griff. However, I would've preferred Kerrigan over Griff. More success over his career, a year younger and doesnt carry any baggage.

I wouldnt be opposed to going and getting Griff now but definitely would've preferred Kerrigan
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:43 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am Had an identical pass rush win rate to Wonnum's on a significantly better Dline overall and playing in front of a secondary that was much better at covering.

The Eagles can have him.
I'm actually bummed about this. I thought we'd snag him. Whatever the win rate may be, Kerrigan is a sack machine. Just to put his numbers into perspective, he has 95.5 career sacks. Everson Griffen has 80.5 and Griff has a year on him. We dont need an every down DE that stays on the field all game. Especially because I believe Patrick Jones is going to be a good player. We simply need a veteran that's a solid situational pass rusher like Kerrigan or Griff. However, I would've preferred Kerrigan over Griff. More success over his career, a year younger and doesnt carry any baggage.

I wouldnt be opposed to going and getting Griff now but definitely would've preferred Kerrigan
I would have loved to have Kerrigan in 2018, since as you said he was a sack machine. You look at his numbers in the past two seasons and there is a clear decline though. He went from 14 sacks and 66 pressures in 2018 to 32 and 7 in 2019. 2020 got worse.

You don't really see that decline with Griffen, who put up similar numbers last year to every other year he has played when factoring in snap counts.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:16 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:43 am

I would have loved to have Kerrigan in 2018, since as you said he was a sack machine. You look at his numbers in the past two seasons and there is a clear decline though. He went from 14 sacks and 66 pressures in 2018 to 32 and 7 in 2019. 2020 got worse.

You don't really see that decline with Griffen, who put up similar numbers last year to every other year he has played when factoring in snap counts.
I mean I think a huge part of that was that Washington drafted Montez Sweat and Chase Young the last two seasons. Kerrigan had his playing time cut back quite a bit. Especially last year. So I still think he has plenty left in the tank as a situational rusher, I think you more so saw the dip in sacks due to who Washington brought in. Numbers are going to be cut back when playing time dips, its inevitable. Same happened with Griffen this year. I mean in the last two years, Griffen has 14 sacks and Kerrigan has 11. Not a huge difference there in terms of numbers.

I mean we're looking for a situational rusher I'm guessing. Not a 5 year starter at this stage of free agency. I think both Kerrigan and Griffen would be excellent in these roles if utilized correctly. I'm not expecting Kerrigan to churn out 14 sacks again. But I think a solid 8 isnt out of the question for either player in the right situation.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri