Vikings tried to trade up for Fields

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings tried to trade up for Fields

Post by RandyMoss84 »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/viki ... er-report/

I thought that is interesting but I am glad that did not happen
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings tried to trade up for Fields

Post by StumpHunter »

Did a competent GM body snatch Rick at some point? This is so unlike him to actually think of the franchise's future and win it all someday instead of attempting to just win 10 games in the coming season.

He did exactly what I thought he would never do, and what I was clamoring for all off season: scout the QBs in the draft and be prepared take one if you really like one (Fields), pass if you don't (Jones). Give yourself three drafts to find your QBOTF instead waiting until Cousins' contract is up and make a panic pick move/over pay for one when you have nothing and are desperate.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Dallas would have traded with them for a 3rd and 5th I would imagine. He must not have tried very hard. Fields was def the guy to get though
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't understand why people keep talking about this..... It didn't happen so what is the big deal? It seems like the media is just trying to create rifts where rifts dont need to be.

This to me is a no story.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 am I don't understand why people keep talking about this..... It didn't happen so what is the big deal? It seems like the media is just trying to create rifts where rifts dont need to be.

Maybe, but the Vikings did end up spending their 2nd pick on a QB, which points to the fact they were looking at finding their QBOTF.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am
Norv Zimmer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 am I don't understand why people keep talking about this..... It didn't happen so what is the big deal? It seems like the media is just trying to create rifts where rifts dont need to be.

Maybe, but the Vikings did end up spending their 2nd pick on a QB, which points to the fact they were looking at finding their QBOTF.
Agree.

Perhaps the bigger story was the sour grapes thrown at Cousins by his former teammate, RGIII.
"Yeah, I can tell you that No. 8 in Minnesota is not real happy right now," Griffin said. "Because Kellon Mond represents exactly what he doesn't do well. Kellon Mond is the big, physical quarterback. He can run it, throw it all over the field, and I don't think that's something that No. 8 is able to do in Cousins in Minnesota. But, I think that's what the coaching staff and administration is looking for.

"As you've seen, Cousins has been collecting checks there in Minnesota for a long time, taking them to 8-8, 9-7 seasons. If he has a bad start to the year like he did last year, I could see the fans and maybe the organization leaning toward Mond if he comes in and impresses."
Spoken like a true bust. I'm not a Cousins apologist, but this is pretty much bullsh!t.

Remind me, RGIII, how many 4,000-yard seasons have you had? How many Subway paychecks have you collected? What? Nothing to say? Thought so.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Haha i tweeted at RG3 right after he made this idiot comment. I said

Hey RG3, are you mad that Kirk took your job? Are you mad that Kirk is better than you? Are you mad that Kirk has made way more money than you? Are you mad that Kirk is still starting and you are riding the pine and have been for a long time? Sounds to me that you are just Jelly.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am

Of course they are looking for their future QB, any GM that isn't probably shouldn't have the job. We have Kirk for 2 more years, nobody will trade for his contract so he will be our starter giving Mond 2 years to learn the system and learn from Kirk (which I think the kind of person Kirk is he will help out).
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:58 am Haha i tweeted at RG3 right after he made this idiot comment. I said

Hey RG3, are you mad that Kirk took your job? Are you mad that Kirk is better than you? Are you mad that Kirk has made way more money than you? Are you mad that Kirk is still starting and you are riding the pine and have been for a long time? Sounds to me that you are just Jelly.
Nice!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

This whole dumb situation reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. "It is hard to measure almost, because almost doesn't matter."
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The Bears had no problem moving up. The Jets had no problem moving up. It's all BS talk after the fact. If Rick wanted to get up he could make it happen. He moved up before for players he wanted. The Bears saw a player that could change the franchise and made the move. That's a chance that needs to be taken. That player wasn't falling to there spot. The 49ers did the same thing. Time will tell if we did enough to get past Rodgers. I hope we did because that could spell the end for him and not this made up stuff that is written and talked about endlessly. It's possible that we did enough. Tee it up at this point and play each game likes it win or go home. No let ups just keep bringing it.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

CharVike wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm The Bears had no problem moving up ... The Bears saw a player that could change the franchise and made the move. That's a chance that needs to be taken.
Never thought I'd see a post defending the Bears approach to drafting QB's [Mitch Trubisky has entered the chat].

Rick mentioned in one of the interviews that he was not interested in moving up AT THE PRICE BEING DEMANDED. One writer used the word "shocked", as in the Vikes FO was shocked at the price paid for Fields. I have no issue with Mond vs Fields at the respective prices asked for/paid. No guarantees on drafted QB's and all that.

Admittedly, over the years Rick has had a very tough time moving up at the price he wants to pay. Makes me think either he's out of touch on what it takes to move up in the draft or there are a bunch of cooler heads in the draft room.

I am certainly not disgruntled with this draft, although I may not quite be gruntled. This is about as close to a "wait and see" draft as I can recall.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

psjordan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm The Bears had no problem moving up ... The Bears saw a player that could change the franchise and made the move. That's a chance that needs to be taken.
Never thought I'd see a post defending the Bears approach to drafting QB's [Mitch Trubisky has entered the chat].

Rick mentioned in one of the interviews that he was not interested in moving up AT THE PRICE BEING DEMANDED. One writer used the word "shocked", as in the Vikes FO was shocked at the price paid for Fields. I have no issue with Mond vs Fields at the respective prices asked for/paid. No guarantees on drafted QB's and all that.

Admittedly, over the years Rick has had a very tough time moving up at the price he wants to pay. Makes me think either he's out of touch on what it takes to move up in the draft or there are a bunch of cooler heads in the draft room.

I am certainly not disgruntled with this draft, although I may not quite be gruntled. This is about as close to a "wait and see" draft as I can recall.
This is really the key, isn't it?

A few months ago, we were speculating on this board about the price it would take (in draft picks) to acquire Deshaun Watson. Forget the sexual assault charges for a moment ... those weren't part of the picture when we were having those conversations. What I recall was that the consensus on this board was that the price was simply too high. A reasonable conclusion.

Now we're going to complain because Chicago paid a hefty price to move up and draft Justin Fields and we didn't?

This is a guy over whom analysts were split. Some (stupidly) think he's as good as Trevor Lawrence. Others see "bust" written all over him. We're gonna move up to draft THAT? Meanwhile, Deshaun Watson is a proven commodity, yet we concluded he would be too expensive.

If Rick Spielman had moved up to draft Justin Fields, I would have considered finding another team to root for ... and I've been a die-hard fan since 1969. It would have rivaled the Herschel Walker trade as the dumbest move in the history of the franchise. We're paying Kirk Cousins $76 million over the next two years to be our starting quarterback, and there is NO WAY OUT. Like him, hate him, or don't care either way, that's the truth. Drafting a QB in the first round would have been an incredible waste of resources, a sure-fire way to piss off Cousins, and a guarantee that the locker room would be split like a ripe watermelon falling on the pavement.

MOVING UP to draft a QB in the first and jeopardizing the team's future would have been the height of stupidity, with the potential of absolutely wrecking the team if he busts.

I'm totally fine with how we handled the draft, especially in the first round.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm not sure I believe Cronin, there are conflicting reports and when she was asked where she got this info she was pretty snarky on Twitter. I think they were trying to trade up for Slater. Rick also said they were trying to trade up for Darrisaw. He said he was trying to trade up for Jefferson. How much of an effort, we'll never know. The Cowboys and Eagles are bitter division rivals and they traded for a 3rd round. I don't think we'll ever know what really went down and I think it worked out fine but I still don't buy Rick was interested in a QB that high.
Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:58 am Haha i tweeted at RG3 right after he made this idiot comment. I said

Guess that's why he was called RGMe. :point: