Day 3 draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Day 3 draft

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:48 pm Is anybody else excited that the Vikings got Twyman in the 6th round?

This guy was being bandied around as a 1st round talent ...
Not to mention his reaction when Rick called with the news.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:48 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm Vikings select Jaylen defensive tackle from Pittsburgh
Is anybody else excited that the Vikings got Twyman in the 6th round?

This guy was being bandied around as a 1st round talent before he opted out of last season, but I found the following about him and his pro day that has me kind of scratching my head wondering how he fell:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/03 ... s-pro-day/

He did 40 reps on the bench at his pro day, and in the last season before he opted out he racked up 10.5 sacks as an interior rusher?

Twyman might end up being the steal of this draft.
This draft is as hard for us to analyze as it was for teams to pick. Covid, short seasons and the lack of a combine skewed information quite a bit. But guys who opted out were a completely different and difficult animal to analyze.

Some teams and analysts really dropped guys who opted out. Others placed value on what they saw on film, even if it was two years ago. My impression is that Spielman and the Vikings were the latter. Given that they were pretty consistent with their approach, I find it hard to argue. Davis is a perfect example. Before he opted out, many had him as a late-first, early-second-round talent. We got him in the third. Clearly Spielman was looking for opt-out value in this draft, which is a luxury you can afford when you have lots of draft picks.

Opt-outs who fell have the potential of being serious steals. Let's hope Twyman fits into that category.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:48 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm Vikings select Jaylen defensive tackle from Pittsburgh
Is anybody else excited that the Vikings got Twyman in the 6th round?

This guy was being bandied around as a 1st round talent before he opted out of last season, but I found the following about him and his pro day that has me kind of scratching my head wondering how he fell:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/03 ... s-pro-day/

He did 40 reps on the bench at his pro day, and in the last season before he opted out he racked up 10.5 sacks as an interior rusher?

Twyman might end up being the steal of this draft.
If I had to guess, he's really undersized and slow for his position. Other than his bench and vert, he compared pretty poorly to his peers. In speed and agility some were bottom 5%. Now, I'm not saying you need to be a freak athlete to make it in the NFL but that would be my guess as to why he fell so far. Sounds like he's worth the flier pick.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

You can find quality players/talent in every round. As well as unfree agency/ undrafted.

The trick is to grab the right players. There are guys like John Randle, TomBrady, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Adam Thealin (sp), Diggs, to name just a few that have been drafted mid rounds or not drafted at all., ,
I wonder if anyone was excited when Tim Brady wasdrafted round 6. They would have if they foresaw his future