Day 2 draft rounds 2,3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingTom
Starter

Day 2 draft rounds 2,3

Post by VikingTom »

Hope I am not overstepping starting this thread.

Going into day 2 the Vikings have 7 picks in rounds 3 and 4. Currently they will not draft ill the 66th pick, (2nd pick in round 3). Not sure if it was a typo, or a hint of their thinking. On NFL.com Vikings page they list the 66th pick as a 2nd round pick. Are they trying to tell us something, or simply a data entry error?

Regardless, it seems the prevailing thought is if the Vikings move up it will be into the 2nd half of the 2nd round as they will not wish to give up too many picks. That thinking also posits the rationale is they have many wants in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Will be a very interesting evening, though we may be waiting a bit to start seeing activity from the Vikings.

I think they have a very good chance to land a solid guard to help solidify the OL. No secret they will be looking for a DE/edge. There are a couple safeties of interest who should be there in the 3rd. Anxious to see what the Vikes do, and who they draft.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Day 2 draft rounds 2,3

Post by S197 »

IMO rounds 3-5 is where GMs earn their salaries. Anyone can pick a 1st rounder, hell this board gets our first round pick right the majority of the time. Same with the 2nd (Kendricks, Cook, etc. were all highly coveted here). But mid round is where evaluating gets tough. Where you find guys like Hunter, Griffen, and Diggs. Or even just solid role players.

I’m more excited about today than yesterday to be honest.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Thinking they deal 78 and 86 to the Colts at 54 (or around there) and grab a QB, thinking they really like Trask....Mond or Mills could be the pick as well.

Would leave them with 66 and 90 and I think they go guard and DL.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 pm IMO rounds 3-5 is where GMs earn their salaries. Anyone can pick a 1st rounder, hell this board gets our first round pick right the majority of the time. Same with the 2nd (Kendricks, Cook, etc. were all highly coveted here). But mid round is where evaluating gets tough. Where you find guys like Hunter, Griffen, and Diggs. Or even just solid role players.

Agreed. I love day 2, especially now that we have doubled our picks. If they let the board come to them, round 3 should have plenty of guards, edge rushers, wide receivers and interior defensive line. Could fill a lot of holes. I think they take a QB, which is fine with me, just please don't trade up to do it.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:51 pm
S197 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 pm IMO rounds 3-5 is where GMs earn their salaries. Anyone can pick a 1st rounder, hell this board gets our first round pick right the majority of the time. Same with the 2nd (Kendricks, Cook, etc. were all highly coveted here). But mid round is where evaluating gets tough. Where you find guys like Hunter, Griffen, and Diggs. Or even just solid role players.

Agreed. I love day 2, especially now that we have doubled our picks. If they let the board come to them, round 3 should have plenty of guards, edge rushers, wide receivers and interior defensive line. Could fill a lot of holes. I think they take a QB, which is fine with me, just please don't trade up to do it.
I think Vikings will have to trade up to get the quarterback that they want, I do not think they are going to last long
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:54 pm

I think Vikings will have to trade up to get the quarterback that they want, I do not think they are going to last long
Depends on what people think of Trask. He seems to have been all over the board in terms of value. His last season was his best, but questions remain. There are others who could be interesting picks later in the draft. I would think Mond and Mills will be there in the 3rd. I know people not in charge of drafting for their team like Trask, but I do think he could fall a bit. Far enough that a trade up would not be so expensive. Newman is another 3rd round or later prospect. The Arkansas QB Franks is intriguing as a later round selection. Size, speed, and strong arm. Is a guy who will need coaching up, but has some potential down the road.

For myself, while intrigued by the possibility of drafting a QB, I am on the fence about moving up to do it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pep2Moss wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:48 pm Thinking they deal 78 and 86 to the Colts at 54 (or around there) and grab a QB, thinking they really like Trask....Mond or Mills could be the pick as well.

Would leave them with 66 and 90 and I think they go guard and DL.
I think at least one of those QBs will be available in the third so no need to trade up. Mills could possibly go in the 2nd. Now watch me be totally wrong and all three go in the 2nd.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Agreed QB would be about the last position I would be trading up for. We can get a good one in the third.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if all the remaining QBs last until the third round.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Assuming Rodgers is gone Mel is already declaring Fields to be the best QB in the NFC North. Whatever idiot.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 pm Assuming Rodgers is gone Mel is already declaring Fields to be the best QB in the NFC North. Whatever idiot.
Fields is going to be a bust, Mel is an idiot
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 pm Assuming Rodgers is gone Mel is already declaring Fields to be the best QB in the NFC North. Whatever idiot.
Even if he's eventually good, it's very unlikely he's the best this season.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 pm
It would help Fields a lot if he doesn't get thrown into the starting role right away. I realize Bears fans won't like that but I think there is so much pressure on these young QBs when they're thrust into becoming the franchise savior right away. If Dalton starts and Fields sits and learns, at least for a while, I think the odds go up that he'll have a more successful pro career.

I agree that declaring a rookie QB to be the best QB in any division makes no sense, especially one that has Aaron Rodgers in it. Mel must know something the rest of us don't.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Raiders actually made a good pick. If Rick does trade up, I'm thinking somewhere around 22-25. Still way too early.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Man the way this board is falling, idk if they will have to trade up. A lot of questionable picks.

Trask is still there (who I thought Washington would take), Basham, Trey smith, etc. Tons of talent still there.

I mean the jags take a tackle that’s played 1 game in 3 years. Idk what some of these teams are doing but I’d be staying put too
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri