Orlando Brown ... a Viking?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Orlando Brown ... a Viking?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Today a proposal appeared on the interwebs.
“Bleacher Report” wrote: The Vikings send the No. 14 pick, the No. 125 overall pick (4th Round), and a 2022 2nd-Round pick to Baltimore for Brown and the 27th pick in this year’s 1st Round.
Here’s what we know.

Brown recently Tweeted, “I’m a LEFT tackle.”

The Ravens are bringing in Alejandro Villanueva, another left tackle, for a talk.

Brown appears to be on the outs. He is just 24 years old.

What say you? Would a deal like this be good with you?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Orlando Brown ... a Viking?

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Personally I'd rather stay at 14 or even trade down and draft a Tackle.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I don’t know the specifics on his contract - is he on the last year of his rookie deal?? can they afford him? What type of $ is he expecting ?

In a salary cap vacuum I would love this deal. But depending on contract specifics I would probably pass and stick with 14. Move Ezra to LT and draft a couple of guards in rounds 1-4

Just my $.02
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Is he any good. ThTs what's overlooked.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

As a Sooners fan, I would love to have him, the trade details are not bad
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm I don’t know the specifics on his contract - is he on the last year of his rookie deal?? can they afford him? What type of $ is he expecting ?

In a salary cap vacuum I would love this deal. But depending on contract specifics I would probably pass and stick with 14. Move Ezra to LT and draft a couple of guards in rounds 1-4

Just my $.02
IMO teams can afford whoever they want. I don't know a thing about the CAP. I've seen teams so far over it looked like they could only keep about 40 players. Click of a finger they are fine and signing guys. The Saints seem to have been doing that since the CAP started. They always have a team and sign guys. They had Brees and two backup QB getting coin. It's hard enough keeping track of players without trying to become a CAP expert. The Cheifs gave a G the farm. I don't even know the number because they change also at a drop of the hat. I thought they had CAP issues. They can buy any player. Even with at least at one point the top paid QB. His number could be nothing now. I found this below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neither Brown nor his representatives wanted to identify the suitors, though sources indicate the camp has had ongoing conversations with six teams. Brown, who is slated to earn $3.384 million in the final year of his current contract, said a new contract with his next team would be part of the trade process.

All parties involved seem confident a deal will get done to send Brown elsewhere for his fourth NFL season.

"It's a situation where Baltimore knows my plan isn't to play right tackle," Brown said. "I feel more comfortable on the left side. That's where I had played my whole life (before joining the Ravens). I'm a better left tackle than right tackle."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He will cost more than what was proposed plus the CAP hit will be a least 20M and probably more. That's just a guess. He also seems a little big for our scheme also. He's 340+. That's a mountain.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Interesting thanks Char
$20M- wow
I just can’t see this happening unless another player (salary) is involved. Barr? Thielen? Harry?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 pm Interesting thanks Char
$20M- wow
I just can’t see this happening unless another player (salary) is involved. Barr? Thielen? Harry?
He's only 24 yo and that 20M was my guess. Thuney is getting this below.
More details on Joe Thuney's 5-year, $80M deal with the Chiefs:
Signing bonus: $17M
Base salaries: $990K, $13.9M, $15M, $15.5M, $15.5M
Workout bonuses totaling $2.11M
That structure keeps Thuney's 2021 cap number at just $4.5M.
A LT will get more than a G. Is my guess right? IDK. But it won't be cheap.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Brown is pretty good and he is pretty young so I don't understand why the Ravens would be willing to trade him given how rare good left tackles are and how difficult they are to find in the draft. Does he have some off-field issue we're not aware of? Some other problem within the Ravens organization that is creating friction with Brown and they want to ship him?

From a pure talent standpoint, basically the Vikings would be getting a known quantity at LT, saving them the possibility of not having that position covered this upcoming season. That would also remove the pressure of using a pick on a LT in the upcoming draft. If there is no fire where there is smoke (no real issue with Brown) and the Vikings think they're in a position to compete this upcoming year, the move makes sense to me.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 pm Brown is pretty good and he is pretty young so I don't understand why the Ravens would be willing to trade him given how rare good left tackles are and how difficult they are to find in the draft. Does he have some off-field issue we're not aware of? Some other problem within the Ravens organization that is creating friction with Brown and they want to ship him?

From a pure talent standpoint, basically the Vikings would be getting a known quantity at LT, saving them the possibility of not having that position covered this upcoming season. That would also remove the pressure of using a pick on a LT in the upcoming draft. If there is no fire where there is smoke (no real issue with Brown) and the Vikings think they're in a position to compete this upcoming year, the move makes sense to me.
The Ravens already have Ronnie Stanley at LT, who was first-team All-Pro in 2019. Brown had been at RT and moved over to LT when Stanley had some injuries last year. Brown played really well, proving his ability as an NFL left tackle.

The only way they’d be looking to move him would be because Stanley is healthy and Brown has told the Ravens he won’t go back to RT. I mean, if you had an All-Pro at LT and a really good player at RT, why would you bring in a stud like Villanueva? It’s likely because somebody is going out the door.

From a talent and trade standpoint, I think it’s a good deal for the Vikings. What concerns me is the possibility that Brown is simply greedy. I understand the desire to make all you can. But he’s only got one year left on his rookie deal before he can hit the free agent market at 25 years old. Why raise a stink now?

Of course if the Ravens start talking about including Adam Thielen in such a deal, as has also been rumored, then I’m out. Selfishly I hope Thielen retires as a Viking someday.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:55 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 pm Brown is pretty good and he is pretty young so I don't understand why the Ravens would be willing to trade him given how rare good left tackles are and how difficult they are to find in the draft. Does he have some off-field issue we're not aware of? Some other problem within the Ravens organization that is creating friction with Brown and they want to ship him?

The Ravens already have Ronnie Stanley at LT, who was first-team All-Pro in 2019. Brown had been at RT and moved over to LT when Stanley had some injuries last year. Brown played really well, proving his ability as an NFL left tackle.

The only way they’d be looking to move him would be because Stanley is healthy and Brown has told the Ravens he won’t go back to RT. I mean, if you had an All-Pro at LT and a really good player at RT, why would you bring in a stud like Villanueva? It’s likely because somebody is going out the door.

From a talent and trade standpoint, I think it’s a good deal for the Vikings. What concerns me is the possibility that Brown is simply greedy. I understand the desire to make all you can. But he’s only got one year left on his rookie deal before he can hit the free agent market at 25 years old. Why raise a stink now?

Of course if the Ravens start talking about including Adam Thielen in such a deal, as has also been rumored, then I’m out. Selfishly I hope Thielen retires as a Viking someday.
I think #14 & the 4th round pick for the Ravens 2nd round pick and Brown is a reasonable trade. Brown is not a proven commodity at LT. He did well for part of a season, it is worth noting that is a small sample set. Maybe a question worth asking is how much better than Reiff is he? That could be a starting point in determining his value. He also has just one year left on his rookie contract. That is not saying he would be difficult to sign, but it does lower his value in terms of assets to acquire him. Vikings need help on the O line, but they should not allow themselves to be fleeced.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I agree AT should be here until the end. The guy worked his rear off. Rages to riches story. I also feel he helps the young guys. I'm sure Jefferson benefited. There's no doubt Brown is a player but when you get into a 6 team deal anything can happen. It would be nice to have LT taken care of for the next 5+ years with a proven player from the start. That don't come around very often. Of course the cost will be high.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingTom wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 am

I think #14 & the 4th round pick for the Ravens 2nd round pick and Brown is a reasonable trade. Brown is not a proven commodity at LT. He did well for part of a season, it is worth noting that is a small sample set. Maybe a question worth asking is how much better than Reiff is he? That could be a starting point in determining his value. He also has just one year left on his rookie contract. That is not saying he would be difficult to sign, but it does lower his value in terms of assets to acquire him. Vikings need help on the O line, but they should not allow themselves to be fleeced.
True statement.

However, he is a 2-time Pro Bowler at RT in just 3 years in the league, and he's the son of a pretty darned good left tackle in the late Orlando Brown Sr. You may recall that Brown Sr. was the one who missed three seasons after being hit in the eye with the ball-bearing end of a penalty flag thrown by referee Jeff Triplette.

With those facts in mind, I would say the potential for him to be an upgrade over Riley Reiff is pretty solid. But to me, that doesn't matter because Reiff isn't on the team. The question for me is whether he'd be an upgrade over Rashod Hill or Ezra Cleveland. The answer there is an unquestioned "yes." Again, Brown is a 2-time Pro Bowler at RT, and did very well subbing for Ronnie Stanley at LT. Meanwhile, we know what Hill is, and Cleveland has never played a down at tackle in the NFL.

Brown's cap hit this year is only $3.6 million, so if Baltimore would do the deal as PFF proposed, I'd be for it. Spielman can worry about an extension when the time comes.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:45 am
VikingTom wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 am

True statement.

However, he is a 2-time Pro Bowler at RT in just 3 years in the league, and he's the son of a pretty darned good left tackle in the late Orlando Brown Sr. You may recall that Brown Sr. was the one who missed three seasons after being hit in the eye with the ball-bearing end of a penalty flag thrown by referee Jeff Triplette.

With those facts in mind, I would say the potential for him to be an upgrade over Riley Reiff is pretty solid. But to me, that doesn't matter because Reiff isn't on the team. The question for me is whether he'd be an upgrade over Rashod Hill or Ezra Cleveland. The answer there is an unquestioned "yes." Again, Brown is a 2-time Pro Bowler at RT, and did very well subbing for Ronnie Stanley at LT. Meanwhile, we know what Hill is, and Cleveland has never played a down at tackle in the NFL.

Brown's cap hit this year is only $3.6 million, so if Baltimore would do the deal as PFF proposed, I'd be for it. Spielman can worry about an extension when the time comes.
I am not questioning about him being an upgrade over Reiff. My point is how much of an upgrade. Then looking at trade value both now and historically for someone who is potentially a good LT. Not against a trade, questioning what the cost in assets should be.

I also think it is worth noting that blocking for L Jackson is a different skill set than what is required to block for our statue of a QB.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Honestly, I was thinking of Brown as a LT in terms of this deal and not an RT, but you're right that he's been mostly an RT for the Ravens, although I think he did do well at LT and can play that position.

But that does explain why the Ravens are considering a trade as Brown obviously considers himself a LT and the Ravens don't need a LT.