Pick 14

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Pick 14

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:07 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:59 am

Deonte Brown? He doesn't fit the scheme of most NFL teams, and certainly doesn't fit the Vikings'.
Ot
Orlando Brown. He's 340. It can work either way. I prefer the bigger player. Like when the Cowboys had Nate Newton. Landry was on the verge off cutting the big guy. He fit perfect for what Johnson was doing with E Smith. That to me is a ground game. Just pound with bigger people. It was hard to push Newton around. Eventually he would wear guys out. We along with other teams use a different approach. That can work also. It's not what I want to see. I read on viking wire they feel Mason Cole (291) will play G and Ezra to LT. That's on a prediction but Cole is a small guy at 291 for the NFL. It may work and I'm guessing Cole was traded for based on Kub's thoughts. It's not what I would prefer.
I think Cole is one of our starting guards based on what the Vikings gave up for him. Not just the pick, but his salary only makes sense if they plan on him starting. If they just wanted a solid backup center/guard, Brett Jones could have filled that hole for less than half the cost.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:59 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:07 am
Ot
Orlando Brown. He's 340. It can work either way. I prefer the bigger player. Like when the Cowboys had Nate Newton. Landry was on the verge off cutting the big guy. He fit perfect for what Johnson was doing with E Smith. That to me is a ground game. Just pound with bigger people. It was hard to push Newton around. Eventually he would wear guys out. We along with other teams use a different approach. That can work also. It's not what I want to see. I read on viking wire they feel Mason Cole (291) will play G and Ezra to LT. That's on a prediction but Cole is a small guy at 291 for the NFL. It may work and I'm guessing Cole was traded for based on Kub's thoughts. It's not what I would prefer.
I think Cole is one of our starting guards based on what the Vikings gave up for him. Not just the pick, but his salary only makes sense if they plan on him starting. If they just wanted a solid backup center/guard, Brett Jones could have filled that hole for less than half the cost.
I'm not going to knock the guys for what they do from a players perspective. They understand the scheme and the players needed better than any of us. I'd prefer the opposite approach and that goes along with our back also. Cook I could argue that he's the best we ever had when it comes to all around skills. But I certainly don't see him as a heavy duty back that can pond it 25+ times a game. That's a big load and it took a toll last year on him.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:39 am
Pep2Moss wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 pm I really think I will be annoyed if Darrisaw and or Slater are there and we pass them for ED or CB. This is a chance to put the LT to bed and have a young four of New LT, Cleveland, Bradbury and O'Neill.
The Vikings almost always draft for need in the 1st, so I expect the pick will be one of those two if they drop to 14 or a trade back to pick up one of the later round LTs if they are not.

I have to ask you though, if the Vikings really liked Paye and felt he could be a double digit sack machine, would you be okay with them passing on him to pick up a LT who they might not like as much, but who fills a bigger need?
I'm not sure to be honest. If he had an immediate impact and part of the rotation then yes, but the Vikings have two gaping holes on the line. Now Paye and a couple third round picks on the oline that would be ok.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 am
Pep2Moss wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 pm I really think I will be annoyed if Darrisaw and or Slater are there and we pass them for ED or CB. This is a chance to put the LT to bed and have a young four of New LT, Cleveland, Bradbury and O'Neill.
It looks like they are fixing the D. I expect that to continue. This OL they are building basically consist of guys that can play anywhere. Position don't matter. Maybe that's a good thing. It's different. It'll probably come down to a G in round 3 that barley weighs 300 and shifting him to LT. Or leave him at G and move someone else. I would hope they have a guy in mind already to take Reiffs spot and not relying on a 3rd or 4th round guy. If we had to line up right now who would man the spot? Most think Ezra should be there and I agree with that. So that won't happen.
I think on their "board" they have

Cleveland-XXXXX-Bradbury-Udoh-O'Neil as their line right now.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Lots of talk about the Panthers wanting to move down. If Fields or Lance (or Jones if you like him) are there and the price is a one and three and a second next year do you pull the trigger?

Cousins "only" a 10 mil dead cap hit year after this one.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:39 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:59 am
I'm not going to knock the guys for what they do from a players perspective. They understand the scheme and the players needed better than any of us. I'd prefer the opposite approach and that goes along with our back also. Cook I could argue that he's the best we ever had when it comes to all around skills. But I certainly don't see him as a heavy duty back that can pond it 25+ times a game. That's a big load and it took a toll last year on him.
I'm not so sure. For seven consecutive years our OL has ranked near the bottom in pass protection. There's a lot of faith the lightbulb finally turns on in year 8, the basis for which I don't really see.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:02 pm Lots of talk about the Panthers wanting to move down. If Fields or Lance (or Jones if you like him) are there and the price is a one and three and a second next year do you pull the trigger?

Cousins "only" a 10 mil dead cap hit year after this one.
Yeah, I would do it to groom a potential franchise quarterback
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

There is a slot of speculation that the Vikings will go DE at 14 (kwity Paye maybe?)

I am certainly not opposed to that, but just wondering about Wonnum. Patterson was pretty high on him when he was drafted, and he showed some promise last year. I am surprised by the lack of buzz around him going into next year, with a season under his belt and (hopefully ) a relatively normal offseason
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:00 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:39 am
I'm not so sure. For seven consecutive years our OL has ranked near the bottom in pass protection. There's a lot of faith the lightbulb finally turns on in year 8, the basis for which I don't really see.
They're screwing the lightbulb in at this point. Something was said because Zim is trying to get the D up to speed. I will give Zim credit for the fact that his teams haven't given up. They play hard even when all looks lost. I think Speilman told him we either make the playoffs or I'm going to can you. If I don't we will both be gone. That's only a guess on my part. There win point needs to be 13. I doubt that wins the division unless Rodgers falls apart but it will get us in the tournament and a home wild card game. At that point both guys avoid the guillotine. We have players and Zim has proven to build a very good D. The key is getting hot.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm really starting to like Kwity Paye from Michigan.

Recently read a great article about his story, which is almost beyond belief. The stuff movies are made of. Born into war-torn Sierra Lione, the survivor of unthinkable atrocities on his people and his family. Dirt poor growing up in Rhode Island after his mother, his brother and he escaped to America. Promised his mother if she would send him to a Catholic school that she couldn't afford without working 3 jobs, he'd reward her by getting a college scholarship. He was a running back and defensive end in high school, playing both ways, and had dozens of offers for both positions.

Do yourself a favor and read this.

Paye is a guy who only knows hard work and dedication. He was all-academic Big Ten in the classroom and All-America on the field. He runs the 40 in 4.5 at 261 pounds. Forget the numbers and the so-called lack of sacks. Danielle Hunter was in the same situation coming out of LSU. Get this guy on the field with Andre Patterson, and I think you've got something.

I know the Vikings need O-line help, and I won't be upset if they take a good one at 14. But I'll be very happy if they take Paye. The guy just screams character, and the measurables are unquestioned. Pretty much, he's an animal physically.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:14 am I'm really starting to like Kwity Paye from Michigan.

Recently read a great article about his story, which is almost beyond belief. The stuff movies are made of. Born into war-torn Sierra Lione, the survivor of unthinkable atrocities on his people and his family. Dirt poor growing up in Rhode Island after his mother, his brother and he escaped to America. Promised his mother if she would send him to a Catholic school that she couldn't afford without working 3 jobs, he'd reward her by getting a college scholarship. He was a running back and defensive end in high school, playing both ways, and had dozens of offers for both positions.

Paye is a guy who only knows hard work and dedication. He was all-academic Big Ten in the classroom and All-America on the field. He runs the 40 in 4.5 at 261 pounds. Forget the numbers and the so-called lack of sacks. Danielle Hunter was in the same situation coming out of LSU. Get this guy on the field with Andre Patterson, and I think you've got something.

I know the Vikings need O-line help, and I won't be upset if they take a good one at 14. But I'll be very happy if they take Paye. The guy just screams character, and the measurables are unquestioned. Pretty much, he's an animal physically.
If the Vikings go DE, I do not think many could complain if the pick was Paye at #14
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:59 pm
VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:00 pm

This.

I completely agree, especially if they are banking on Cousins as they are. If Cousins is going to shine in 2021, he has to be well protected, and banking on a rookie at LT to be the bulwark of that protection is a huge gamble. It could work out, but even if they get a really good prospect who eventually develops into a really good LT, that isn't going to help if Cousins is constantly getting strip-sacked this season or the Vikings have to constantly give their LT extra blocking help.

It would be a real shame too given the team has so many good offensive weapons. OL generally, and that LT position specifically, have to be solid for them to shine. I hope Spielman and Zimmer have a plan. So far, I haven't seen much to indicate they are concerned. Maybe they know something the rest of us don't.
Are you thinking O'Neill at LT?
I don't know what they're thinking.

Maybe they'd consider shifting O'Neill over to LT, or maybe they think Cleveland can slot in there, but even if that works they need someone to slot in at either RT or RG then.

I keep thinking Udoh should be ready to get on the field by this point. When they drafted him he was pretty raw, but he had a lot of potential and seemed like a player who had a chance to become a starter. Udoh could play RT if they decided to move O'Neill over to LT.

The only other thing I can think of is that Zimmer and Spielman believe they can get a starter from the draft. The way things are shaping up at #14, it looks like one of Darrisaw, Vera-Tucker or Slater should be there at that slot, any of which could play LT from Day One. That isn't to say any of which will perform well at LT from Day One, but all have played that position with success in college.

Whatever they're planning, they must know that their entire plan on offense for this upcoming season depends on keeping Cousins vertical and making sure they can run the ball, especially in short yardage situations. If the OL isn't better than it was last year, they're going to need a pretty massive improvement on the defensive side of the ball to compensate for it and make the playoffs, much less make noise in the playoffs.

I sure hope they either know what they're doing or get really lucky.
Last edited by VikingLord on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:54 am Whether you have Christian Ponder in the backfield or Tom Brady, if you have a guy who you want to play at LT in the next season on the roster, you give him snaps at LT in practice if not on the field to make sure he is ready for it. The Vikings never did that with Cleveland.
I agree with you.

That is why I'm questioning if they have a plan at LT with Reiff gone, because if they do there isn't much evidence as to what it is.

Based on what we do know, I suspect they think they'll get it addressed at #14 in the draft, which is a reasonable, if somewhat risky, approach.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:14 am I'm really starting to like Kwity Paye from Michigan.

Undersized but draws comparison to Everson Griffen.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kwity-paye
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingTom wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 pm

If the Vikings go DE, I do not think many could complain if the pick was Paye at #14
I would be relieved because I do not want Jaelean Phillips