Vikings Sign Patrick Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings Sign Patrick Peterson

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Sign Patrick Peterson

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Wow! That's awesome!! Zimmer has had enough bad defense it would seem lol.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Wow. I did not see this one coming. I wonder if we're still interested in Mac.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Nice get! Much needed help in the secondary!
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

He may have lost a step, but his experience will definitely help our young guys.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Husker Vike wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 pm He may have lost a step, but his experience will definitely help our young guys.
Yeah no doubt!! I had us signing Jonathan Joseph in my mock offseason just because I knew we really needed a vet. Never thought we’d be able to afford Peterson but this is a huge get from an experience standpoint and he’s getting a little long in the tooth but still only 31. I feel like what this defense asks of it’s corners, could be exactly what Peterson needs. Great veteran pull here Rick!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:54 pm
Husker Vike wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 pm He may have lost a step, but his experience will definitely help our young guys.
Yeah no doubt!! I had us signing Jonathan Joseph in my mock offseason just because I knew we really needed a vet. Never thought we’d be able to afford Peterson but this is a huge get from an experience standpoint and he’s getting a little long in the tooth but still only 31. I feel like what this defense asks of it’s corners, could be exactly what Peterson needs. Great veteran pull here Rick!
This is huge. huge. Rick has earned my respect for 2.5 months. :banana: :banana: :banana:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Peterson, Dantzler, Gladney, with maybe Hughes at dime if he can stay healthy is a pretty solid lineup. Hand if Hughes gets injured again. If Hunter plays (and can play) then the defense is very much shored up. This should shift a lot of attention to OL in the draft. I'm guessing OL, Edge, S, LB is where they'll go.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Saint Patrick's Day!
mael·strom

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

https://twitter.com/GoesslingStrib/stat ... 88903?s=20

That's a pretty good contract all things considered. $8 Million base with $2 Million in incentives.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, he is not the All-Pro he once was at Arizona, but on the other hand he is a veteran presence for a very young secondary on a one year deal.

Also, I still want Surtain at 14 if Jaelan Phillips is off the board...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Angels Wings wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 pm I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, he is not the All-Pro he once was at Arizona, but on the other hand he is a veteran presence for a very young secondary on a one year deal.

Also, I still want Surtain at 14 if Jaelan Phillips is off the board...

Phillips' concussion history would take him off the board for me. I feel like he will get another one after having had 3 and will be forced to medically retire then use whatever money he gets prior to that to help with his music career.

I'd love to get Paye. Rousseau I think has a high ceiling but a low floor. I'd be happy with several offensive lineman that all have a chance to be available.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The Peterson signing is a good one. Talented, cagey vet who can add stability, experience and leadership at the position at reasonable cost.

As for Jaelen Phillips, his medical history disqualifies him for Round 1 IMHO. He's definitely talented and can be an impact player, but he has Demetrious Underwood written all over him. There should be guys with higher overall upside and much lower risk at DE when #14 comes around. If the Vikings did take him at that spot I'd have to assume they've done their homework on him and determined he's good to go and no longer an injury risk. But with a problematic history of concussions that led him to give up football as a college player, I can't imagine what they'd see or learn that could put that concern to rest.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I don't really care for the signing. Yes he had a great career but he's been on the decline 2 straight years. He had a 55 grade from PFF. 10 million isn't chump change. That's a big hit no matter how it's sliced. Obviously they have a vision for him and it goes beyond the stuff I can see. A much lower let's see if you can still play deal would make more sense. They are on a roll in FA so maybe it will work out great.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I love the signing! He has not been good the past 2 years but he will be a good mentor for our young cornerbacks :thumbsup: