Vikings Release Riley Reiff

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Release Riley Reiff

Post by StumpHunter »

Reiff was arguably a top 10 LT last season, was making below top 10 money for his position, but the Vikings decided the value he was providing wasn't worth the contract. They know there is a very good chance we get worse at LT in 2021, but the cap they are saving is worth that risk. They also understand they need to get better at that position, and just okay, or not the reason we lose, isn't good enough.

It was absolutely the right move to cut him, even if it makes the Vikings worse at Oline in the immediate future.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:24 am Reiff was arguably a top 10 LT last season, was making below top 10 money for his position, but the Vikings decided the value he was providing wasn't worth the contract. They know there is a very good chance we get worse at LT in 2021, but the cap they are saving is worth that risk. They also understand they need to get better at that position, and just okay, or not the reason we lose, isn't good enough.

It was absolutely the right move to cut him, even if it makes the Vikings worse at Oline in the immediate future.
Definitely the right move. And maybe they move Cleveland, maybe they dont. Maybe they move O'Neill. Or maybe they address it in FA or the draft. Either way, they have options here and I think given that they knew they had a lot of options is a big reason they did it as well. He saved us more money than Barr would have. I'm surprised they didnt trade Reiff to be honest. But again, this could be partly because there are so many teams that are over the cap and making cuts right and left. I've never seen an offseason with so many guys let go. This is going to be one of the best FA pools in quite a while and we could find some real bargains.

Idk why, but I'm really starting to get the sense that we might be a little more active than we usually are in free agency this year. I'm hearing quite a few trade rumblings, I'm hearing that we are interested in a few of these higher end guards, etc. Given what Zim said at his end of the year presser regarding how he underestimated how much veteran leadership he lost and then add on that we just lost more in Rudy and Reiff, dont be surprised if they are a little more aggressive or sign/trade for more veterans than the normal Spielman "build through the draft" offseason we're use to.

Side note: why is it taking them so long to get rid of Shamar Stephen? I feel like this one is another no-brainer. Although I've also heard this could be the worst interior DL class in quite a while outside of Barmore. Either way, Stephen cant be back at the current contract he is on.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:46 am
Side note: why is it taking them so long to get rid of Shamar Stephen? I feel like this one is another no-brainer. Although I've also heard this could be the worst interior DL class in quite a while outside of Barmore. Either way, Stephen cant be back at the current contract he is on.
I think because Zimmer loves him. I don't have time to dig up the old articles, but I've read a couple of times that Zim really likes him and says that he does all the things he's supposed to do and helps other players (like Kendricks) even though he doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

I think because of Zim they keep him, but we will see within a week!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:26 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:46 am
I think because Zimmer loves him. I don't have time to dig up the old articles, but I've read a couple of times that Zim really likes him and says that he does all the things he's supposed to do and helps other players (like Kendricks) even though he doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

I'm not a Shamar Stephen apologist. But I have to wonder if he'd be more effective with a solid nose tackle next to him.

That said, cut him. At his price, it's a no-brainer.

You know who I miss? Tom Johnson. I realize he's pretty much ready for Medicare at this point, but he and Linval Joseph were really good in 2017.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:51 am

I'm not a Shamar Stephen apologist. But I have to wonder if he'd be more effective with a solid nose tackle next to him.

You know who I miss? Tom Johnson. I realize he's pretty much ready for Medicare at this point, but he and Linval Joseph were really good in 2017.
Heck, lets bring back the Williams Wall :beerock:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

yessss! I loved Tom Johnson. Such an underrated signing. I remember when they signed him I'm like who the heck is this guy. He was an excellent situational pass rushing DT

I will say, the more I think about it, I'm really intrigued to see if they pull the trigger on trading for Geno Atkins. Granted he carries a large cap number which I'm sure they'd address but I really like the idea of him next to Pierce.

Atkins was in and out of the lineup all last year with a shoulder injury. He ended up getting surgery in January and now healthy. One thing that really stuck out to me....

From 2010-2019....
-Atkins has never had an overall grade less than 73.5
-Never had a pass rush grade less than 69.8
-Had 30+ pressure every one of those years

He's played for Zim before knows this defense but we just cant take him on on his current salary. Not sure if we wait for him to get released (if he does) or trade for him and restructure his deal.

Outside of Barmore, this is one of the worst interior DL classes in a while. My worry, and this somewhat goes against my mock offseason, is that if we missed out on Barmore and didnt address DT in free agency, we could be screwed. I think we at least need to sign a bridge 3 tech in free agency at the absolute worst.

But if we decide to go with someone like Atkins and draft a DE in round 1 like Rousseau who was option 2 for my mock....man I reallyyyy like the sounds of that DL

DE: Hunter and Rousseau
DT: Atkins and Pierce

:shock:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:44 am

yessss! I loved Tom Johnson. Such an underrated signing. I remember when they signed him I'm like who the heck is this guy. He was an excellent situational pass rushing DT

I will say, the more I think about it, I'm really intrigued to see if they pull the trigger on trading for Geno Atkins. Granted he carries a large cap number which I'm sure they'd address but I really like the idea of him next to Pierce.

Atkins was in and out of the lineup all last year with a shoulder injury. He ended up getting surgery in January and now healthy. One thing that really stuck out to me....

From 2010-2019....
-Atkins has never had an overall grade less than 73.5
-Never had a pass rush grade less than 69.8
-Had 30+ pressure every one of those years

He's played for Zim before knows this defense but we just cant take him on on his current salary. Not sure if we wait for him to get released (if he does) or trade for him and restructure his deal.

Outside of Barmore, this is one of the worst interior DL classes in a while. My worry, and this somewhat goes against my mock offseason, is that if we missed out on Barmore and didnt address DT in free agency, we could be screwed. I think we at least need to sign a bridge 3 tech in free agency at the absolute worst.

But if we decide to go with someone like Atkins and draft a DE in round 1 like Rousseau who was option 2 for my mock....man I reallyyyy like the sounds of that DL

DE: Hunter and Rousseau
DT: Atkins and Pierce

:shock:
There actually is an avenue that could work to the Vikings' advantage as far as acquiring Geno Atkins. The Bengals may cut him.

Unlike a lot of guys, most of Atkins' pay is base salary ($11.7 million in 2020, and $12.95 million in 2022). That makes him hard to trade, given the post-Covid salary-cap hell the NFL finds itself in. But the Bengals might not opt to keep him with a $14.7 million cap hit, even though they have the 5th-most cap space in the NFL. Hence, I think there's a chance he could be released. If they do, they only incur a $5 million dead cap hit.

Geno Atkins could end up being one of those quality players I was talking about, who have signed a lucrative deal before Covid and end up getting cut after Covid. Much like Riley Reiff, although Reiff was never in the class of Atkins.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on what the Bengals do. I usually roll my eyes at Zimmer's courting of ex-Bengals, but Atkins is a different animal. He can really play, and the Vikings could plug him directly into Zimmer's system without missing a beat. Hunter, Atkins and Pierce ... it almost doesn't matter who's on the end opposite Danielle.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:30 am
Yes it is. The Bears are doing something similar with Trib. That team is very solid and at one point it looked like they had a shot of doing something. They just never moved on from Trib yet. But have made the playoffs 2 of 3 years with Nagy. It's hard to get through the playoffs with a cheap guy like let's say Keenum. More than likely a guy like that will get destroyed in the playoffs. Scoring will become almost impossible and he'll turn the ball over which will turn the momentum big time. It's hard to beat a good team that way. IMO most of the off season has been spent ripping our offense and what we need to do to get better with it. We were ranked number 4 and I think that's solid. That's with a bad OL. Nothing is mentioned about this sorry #### defense we have which I think gives us very little if any chance of competing against the big dogs. But some pointed out teams have won Super Bowls with bad defenses. IMO I would like to see a monster pass rushing defense. Hunter is a great player but has little help. Beyond all that we face an MVP future HOF QB in our division which makes the road much harder and plus the Bears are not a push over. Their QB blows which will keep them from the Super Bowl. But they play very hard which takes a toll on a team. Even comparing QBs is hard. I'll go with the OLD school QB rating. If it's above 100 your QB is solid. If it's like Trib you are done. But now there are like 90 different things used that can make a QB look great or pitiful. Whatever spin someone wants. It's like Dak for Dallas. I don't see elite there. But his light shines brighter than most QBs including Rodgers for some reason. He should dominate that joke division he is in. Get home field for the playoffs easily.
Interesting example. The Bears have had the worst QB by far in the division since 2018 and they have also had the cheapest QB by far in the division. How has that worked out for them compared to the Lions, Vikings and Packers who are paying 10+% of the cap?

2018 - Turdbuscuit/Ponder 2.0 has a competent season with his HC hiding most of his flaws by mostly calling the few plays that worked for him. The Bears are one of the better teams in the NFL, but lose in the playoffs when their QB couldn't do a whole lot and their kicker double doinked. The rest of the division, with their high priced QBs missed the playoffs.

2019 - Ponder 2.0 regresses and the Bears miss out on the playoffs. The Lions continue to suck, but the Packers and their high priced elite QB win the division while the Vikings make the playoffs as a WC team.

2020- Ponder 2.0 and Foles kinda suck for most of the season, but the Bears are arguably the best overall team outside of QB in the division and they make the playoffs as a WC team. The Packers with their high priced elite QB win the division again, Vikings and Lions with their high priced average QBs miss it.

Based on these results, one would argue the road to success in the NFL is elite high priced QB being the best option with mostly bad but serviceable cheap QB giving the 2nd best results and high priced average QB giving the worst results. You could also project that if you had a little more competent of a QB in Chicago, instead of one of the worst QBs in the NFL, at that same price, they are competing with GB for division the past 2 seasons.

Seems like unless you have an elite QB, the strategy should be trying to find a cheap, serviceable QB versus overpay an average one.
A guy like Rodgers is a cut above. He's a future HOFer that's an entirely different animal. The Packers are going to win our division for a long time if he keeps playing at an MVP level. I think the Bears have a better team but their QB is so bad they can't contend. If they get Wilson they will become a big challenge for them. If they would have traded for Stafford that would have been a challenge. They are basically throwing away what they have built. We are in a rebuild phase right now on the defensive side. It looks very bleak right now but the kids got a year under their belt and actually played hard. I was shocked they didn't pack it in after the pitiful start. That shows character. Playing CB as a rookie is a tough deal. I'm not saying it's fixed because they could go in the tank. Our discussions around QBs is a circle. A decent starter in today's world will cost 45 million a year. In two years it will be 55 million. People need to get use to that. Dak is the highest paid. The guy averages about 25 TDs a year. Is that a decent starter or a serviceable stiff. That could be argued for ever. Obviously the Cowboys think he's elite based on the CAP. I'm ok with that. They could go out and get Keenum and save a bunch of CAP but the stadium will be empty and Jerry isn't in this to lose his fortune. People never look at that side of it. Our owner is a life time Giant fan. Our team is an investment. It's going great for him right now. New stadium and it sells out. Rick's product is putting #### in the seats. We are lucky that he spends to the top of the CAP. He lets Zimmer hire a #### load of coaches. I'm sure the facilities are great ect..... The minute the product sucks so bad that seats are empty say goodbye to Rick. People never look at that side of it. I've been watching since 1970. The 70 and 71 seasons were more depressing that what we have now. One of the best defenses ever in the NFL with an MVP on defense and no QB. The GM did nothing. Sat there hoping and wishing. How pathetic is that.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:20 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:24 am
I expect Lamar to get hurt eventually. The guy has run for 1000 yards in back to back seasons. That's his game but sooner or later that will end badly. I remember as a young kid asking my father why no NFL teams run the wishbone like Switzer with the Sooners. He said you will need about 5 QBs because they will get hurt. It's much safer in the pocket in today's game. Once past the LOS get ready because it's coming hard. Lamar probably will never win a Super Bowl. His game gets squeezed in the playoffs. Teams make him pass from the pocket and that's not his game at this point. He likes to move and the Ds breakdown because he might take off. But good luck to him.
When I think of Jackson I think of Cam Newton. An unreal athlete thats not a very good passer. Neither are like guys like Deshaun Watson or Wilson who can run the ball but also beat you through the air. Cam also had his lone MVP season but in the end, never really did anything when teams started to catch onto his game. You definitely saw Jackson take a small step back this past year. I wouldnt be surprised if that continued.
Newton had his moment. He never was a great passer and never will be. Not even an average passer. He was mentioned as a guy to get on this board and I came out and posted for what? I can't believe Bill took a chance. That's stupidity. Newton is a bad QB. Jackson is basically the same deal. He's a kid and can take the hits but that will only last so long. He's basically getting hit on almost every play. But he's not a great passer either. He throws once the D is in scatter mode from chasing him and guys are wide open. I've seen that act many times. The Ravens can have him. Yes Watson and Wilson are QBs who can run. They are light years better. Don't take that to mean I'm willing to get them. I'm just acknowledging what you pointed out.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:08 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:20 am

When I think of Jackson I think of Cam Newton. An unreal athlete thats not a very good passer. Neither are like guys like Deshaun Watson or Wilson who can run the ball but also beat you through the air. Cam also had his lone MVP season but in the end, never really did anything when teams started to catch onto his game. You definitely saw Jackson take a small step back this past year. I wouldnt be surprised if that continued.
Newton had his moment. He never was a great passer and never will be. Not even an average passer. He was mentioned as a guy to get on this board and I came out and posted for what? I can't believe Bill took a chance. That's stupidity. Newton is a bad QB. Jackson is basically the same deal. He's a kid and can take the hits but that will only last so long. He's basically getting hit on almost every play. But he's not a great passer either. He throws once the D is in scatter mode from chasing him and guys are wide open. I've seen that act many times. The Ravens can have him. Yes Watson and Wilson are QBs who can run. They are light years better. Don't take that to mean I'm willing to get them. I'm just acknowledging what you pointed out.
Well I was wrong again. Bill the QB guru just signed Newton again. Last year it was for nothing now it's 14 million. But that falls with in some views of signing a stiff and now they can spend their CAP on a great team. This will be about the best example possible for that model. Maybe they make the playoffs and it will prove it works. They could make the playoffs. The Bills will win the division but the Pats have the wild card advantage. The way things are now in the NFL it wouldn't shock me if they win the Super Bowl. Then every team will be dumping their high priced QB and signing a stiff. Teddy will be back in play big time at that point and we will sign him. Just kidding.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:08 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:08 am
Well I was wrong again. Bill the QB guru just signed Newton again. Last year it was for nothing now it's 14 million. But that falls with in some views of signing a stiff and now they can spend their CAP on a great team. This will be about the best example possible for that model. Maybe they make the playoffs and it will prove it works. They could make the playoffs. The Bills will win the division but the Pats have the wild card advantage. The way things are now in the NFL it wouldn't shock me if they win the Super Bowl. Then every team will be dumping their high priced QB and signing a stiff. Teddy will be back in play big time at that point and we will sign him. Just kidding.
One more item Brady just signed an extension. I don't know the price but I'm sure it was cheap. This guy could be playing and collecting social security. Did he have every human part inside him removed for a mechanical device. He certainly has the money for it. Good for them.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:32 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:08 am
One more item Brady just signed an extension. I don't know the price but I'm sure it was cheap. This guy could be playing and collecting social security. Did he have every human part inside him removed for a mechanical device. He certainly has the money for it. Good for them.
It is a $50 million contract, not exactly cheap
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:09 am

Heck, lets bring back the Williams Wall :beerock:
For those with wings, fly to your dreams