Vikings Release Riley Reiff

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Release Riley Reiff

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:40 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 pm I'm in the camp of cut Reiff, Harrison Smith, and Barr. Ezra needs a chance at Tackle and Barr does not justify his pay. He is invisible most of the time. He isn't fast enough to cover most guys and isn't churning out sacks. He's just not worth the money despite what a lot of advanced stat geeks might be able to pull up. Zimmer's infatuation with him is bizarre and his schemes for him fail to produce great stats. He can blow hot air all he wants but Barr isn't winning us games. Teams don't pay linebackers big bucks for run defense these days. Can you cover the Kelces of the world and/or be a double digit sacks guy? Barr can do neither. Heck, he's never even had a 100 plus tackle season.

I would then use that money to go after Thuney and solidify this offensive line. Give Bradbury a chance for once. In the draft I would take Jaycee Horn , Surtain Jr., Alijah Vera Tucker, or Owusu-Koramoah at 14. If one of the top two or three wide receivers were still available at 14 I might take them as well. Thielen won't be around in 5 years and JJ is going to need a partner or two in crime. Sucks we don't have a second rounder but our GM made an atrocious trade.
Zimmer's scheme for Barr fail to produce great stats? Now I'm not sure about your opinion on Kirk Cousins but I know there are quite a few on here that believe the notion that Cousins can put up good stats but isnt a good QB. Do you believe that? Because if so, you just contradicted yourself by saying what you just did about Barr. But then you're going to believe that Eric Wilson is a better option because he put up better stats?

If this is the case, you just further proved my point above. 95% of Vikings fans believe that Eric Wilson is a better option than Barr for one reason only....because Wilson had 3 picks and 2 fumble recoveries this season. Barr did not play but that is usually not his forte. For the 100th time....just because Eric Wilson had a better box score than Anthony Barr usually does, does NOT mean Eric Wilson is a better option. Kirk Cousins had the 6th most TD passes this past year. Does that mean I think Cousins is the 6th best QB in the NFL? Adam Thielen had the 3rd most TDs in the NFL this year, does that mean I think Adam Thielen is the 3rd best WR in the NFL? No.

Like if anyone actually thinks Eric Wilson is a better option than Anthony Barr is, actually prove it with something other than a fricken box score.
My problem comes with how much Cousins and Barr are compensated. I don't think the team gets a good return on investment with either. Cousins is good but paid like he's great. He gets paid 6 million more than Brady this year. He needs a lot around him to be good. I'd rather have someone like Teddy for 20 than Kirk for 31. I'd rather have Wilson or a linebacker in the draft for half or less than what Barr gets paid. He is paid almost like a premier pass rusher and I don't value him like that. Lavonte David just signed a deal that pays him 3.5 million this year and 25 million over essentially 2 years. I'd much rather have David.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:25 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 am

I can not wait until Barr is gone so your obession with Barr can stop
:lol: Okay. Again, never once said Barr is "all world". No less, if I defend any player, unless I actually say they are "all world", it doesnt mean I think they are some superstar. I just think that you and others underestimate his importance to this defense. Did I ever once say he's worth every penny of his contract? Nope. Did I ever say he was "all world"? Nope. However, I do believe he's a much better all around LB than Eric Wilson is. And somehow you twist that around by saying I think he's all world? Trust me, you dont need to be an all world linebacker to be better than Eric Wilson, especially in the run defense department...

Oh and just a side note for anyone that came out of nowhere complaining about them cutting Reiff.....

-Cutting Riley Reiff saved us $11 million with roughly $3 million in dead cap and you have a much younger, cheaper replacement on the roster

vs.

-Cutting Anthony Barr would save us $7 million with roughly $7.8 million is dead cap and you have zero replacement on the roster

You tell me who the more logical cut candidate is.........
I'm not saying we can cut Barr and it will make sense financially but Barr should have never been given contract with a $15M cap hit this year to begin with. He's just not worth that kind of compensation. This is part of the #### show that Rick and Zim have brought to town.
Last edited by Spot & Stalk Vike on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:18 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:40 am

Zimmer's scheme for Barr fail to produce great stats? Now I'm not sure about your opinion on Kirk Cousins but I know there are quite a few on here that believe the notion that Cousins can put up good stats but isnt a good QB. Do you believe that? Because if so, you just contradicted yourself by saying what you just did about Barr. But then you're going to believe that Eric Wilson is a better option because he put up better stats?

If this is the case, you just further proved my point above. 95% of Vikings fans believe that Eric Wilson is a better option than Barr for one reason only....because Wilson had 3 picks and 2 fumble recoveries this season. Barr did not play but that is usually not his forte. For the 100th time....just because Eric Wilson had a better box score than Anthony Barr usually does, does NOT mean Eric Wilson is a better option. Kirk Cousins had the 6th most TD passes this past year. Does that mean I think Cousins is the 6th best QB in the NFL? Adam Thielen had the 3rd most TDs in the NFL this year, does that mean I think Adam Thielen is the 3rd best WR in the NFL? No.

Like if anyone actually thinks Eric Wilson is a better option than Anthony Barr is, actually prove it with something other than a fricken box score.
My problem comes with how much Cousins and Barr are compensated. I don't think the team gets a good return on investment with either. Cousins is good but paid like he's great. He gets paid 6 million more than Brady this year. He needs a lot around him to be good. I'd rather have someone like Teddy for 20 than Kirk for 31. I'd rather have Wilson or a linebacker in the draft for half or less than what Barr gets paid. He is paid almost like a premier pass rusher and I don't value him like that. Lavonte David just signed a deal that pays him 3.5 million this year and 25 million over essentially 2 years. I'd much rather have David.
We all have opinions. Teddy is not close to what a team wants at QB. If he was the Panthers wouldn't be looking for another guy. Every QB needs alot around. The Pack are rebuilding their OL because it wasn't enough around the MVP QB. They would like to sign their FA running back. Why? Cousins played behind one of the worst OLs in the NFL. I haven't witnessed too many QBs that have had success behind a crap OL. I'm sure there are examples but it doesn't happen much. Prescott makes 7 million more than Cousins. I don't think he is a great QB but some may feel he's the best in the game. Let's say he's great. Cousins isn't paid like that. It's not close. When Cousins was a FA teams where after him. If Teddy gets cut you won't see teams lining up for him. I agree with Barr. I watched this for 50 years and if he's out of the lineup I'm not thinking we are done. My best memories of him are getting smoked down the seam. Obviously he's a good player because the Jets, for what that's worth, tried to sign him. I would tell him see ya. Brady has always taken less coin. Part of that is he is basically broke compared to his wife. If his wife was worth nothing he would be chasing the coin for his family. Please don't mention Teddy coming back. That's not even worth watching.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Well, I sure got this one wrong.

In a normal world, keeping Reiff would be a no-brainer. He's not only a solid (not spectacular) player, but he's also a great locker room presence and a leader in the O-line room. Ask anyone who knows what goes on in those venues, and they'll tell you how valuable Reiff is. We can talk about Ezra Cleveland and his potential and his lower salary all we want, but strictly as an NFL offensive lineman, Cleveland has a long way to go to be Riley Reiff.

This is a cap casualty, plain and simple — the kind of cap casualty we're going to see a lot of over the next couple of weeks. The cap has dropped for the first time since 2011, and it was a large drop of $16.2 million. That's an 8% drop. A lot of players are going to be in the same boat as Reiff ... good-but-not-great players who signed lucrative deals during prosperous times, but whose deals had team-friendly "outs" on the back end. We may be very surprised at who ends up on various teams, and that includes the Vikings.

Still, I'm surprised by this. When the Vikings paid Reiff the $1 million bonus for snap count even though he missed the benchmark because he sat out the last game due to Covid, I believed they had serious interest in keeping him. I guess not. Or maybe they had serious interest, but Reiff told them to pack sand because of the crappy way the Vikings treated him last year. I suppose it could be could said that, along with being a cap casualty, Riley Reiff was a Yannick Ngakoue casualty.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:18 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Also to be fair we still don’t know whether the Vikings view Ezra as a T or a G. As fans we can speculate, but our speculation is proof of nothing and on only speculation

It will be really really interesting to see what Rick does at #14. Can’t wait!!!
I would bet Rick would trade down to get the 2nd round pick back, I would be surprised if he does not
He could also trade down for a few 7ths. Rick is like every GM he has made some bad moves. But he does make moves. Wentz and Goff went off the board with the first 2 picks of the draft. That's a bad GM. If this kid from Clemson blows that GM will be considered an idiot. I wanted Drew Lock, who sucks, but Speilman took Bradbury who sucks. Jim Finks who is considered our best GM of all time made plenty of mistakes also. Like wasting our 70 and 71 defenses because he made a mistake on multiple QBs. They can fire Rick right now and it wouldn't bother me. I don't think there's a guy out there that can turn us into a dominate force. That guy would have to know how to slow Rodgers for the next 8 years. That guy would also have to know the next HOF QB and get him. Who is that guy? Nobody knows. A GM that could get us moved to the NFC east would be good also.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:01 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:18 pm

I would bet Rick would trade down to get the 2nd round pick back, I would be surprised if he does not
He could also trade down for a few 7ths. Rick is like every GM he has made some bad moves. But he does make moves. Wentz and Goff went off the board with the first 2 picks of the draft. That's a bad GM. If this kid from Clemson blows that GM will be considered an idiot. I wanted Drew Lock, who sucks, but Speilman took Bradbury who sucks. Jim Finks who is considered our best GM of all time made plenty of mistakes also. Like wasting our 70 and 71 defenses because he made a mistake on multiple QBs. They can fire Rick right now and it wouldn't bother me. I don't think there's a guy out there that can turn us into a dominate force. That guy would have to know how to slow Rodgers for the next 8 years. That guy would also have to know the next HOF QB and get him. Who is that guy? Nobody knows. A GM that could get us moved to the NFC east would be good also.
Thats a GM who won the SB 2 years after that move and one that went to the SB 3 years after.

If you focus on individual transactions you can find good and bad of every GM. In the end all that matters is the actual results of teams he puts on the field. Philly's and LA's GMs have put teams on the field that were SB caliber teams. Rick has not.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:25 am

:lol: Okay. Again, never once said Barr is "all world". No less, if I defend any player, unless I actually say they are "all world", it doesnt mean I think they are some superstar. I just think that you and others underestimate his importance to this defense. Did I ever once say he's worth every penny of his contract? Nope. Did I ever say he was "all world"? Nope. However, I do believe he's a much better all around LB than Eric Wilson is. And somehow you twist that around by saying I think he's all world? Trust me, you dont need to be an all world linebacker to be better than Eric Wilson, especially in the run defense department...

Oh and just a side note for anyone that came out of nowhere complaining about them cutting Reiff.....

-Cutting Riley Reiff saved us $11 million with roughly $3 million in dead cap and you have a much younger, cheaper replacement on the roster

vs.

-Cutting Anthony Barr would save us $7 million with roughly $7.8 million is dead cap and you have zero replacement on the roster

You tell me who the more logical cut candidate is.........
I'm not saying we can cut Barr and it will make sense financially but Barr should have never been given contract with a $15M cap hit this year to begin with. He's just not worth that kind of compensation. This is part of the #### show that Rick and Zim have brought to town.
Oh I agree that Barr never should have gotten this big of a contract. I think that's more of a Zim doing than Rick. I think when Barr was about to walk, Zim was begging Spielman saying "I need him, find a way" type deal. Which then results in us overpaying.

But that is not what I've been referring to at all when it comes to Wilson and Barr. I've been discussing their overall ability as players. I really believe that if guys knew Barr and Wilson were going to command the same amount of money and who would they rather keep, that 95% of fans I talked about above, are choosing Wilson. And I've explained exactly why Wilson is not the logical choice here. But given what we have currently and what our options are, Reiff is 110% the guy that should move on from.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:25 pm
Thats a GM who won the SB 2 years after that move and one that went to the SB 3 years after.

If you focus on individual transactions you can find good and bad of every GM. In the end all that matters is the actual results of teams he puts on the field. Philly's and LA's GMs have put teams on the field that were SB caliber teams. Rick has not.
Wow thats a poor attempt at trying to go after Rick. Again....that is false. Like this blows my mind. Someone else literally just said this a few weeks ago. Maybe it was you I cant remember. Either way, Roseman and Snead put ONE team each on the field that were SB caliber teams. 2017 for Roseman and 2018 for Snead. Are you really going to sit there and tell me that Spieman didnt put together a SB caliber team in 2017? A team that was 11th in total offense and 1st in total defense? That's not a SB caliber team? Like what? If the 2017 Vikings werent a SB caliber team, I'd love to know what your definition of a SB caliber team is?

And I truly question how good of a GM Roseman really is. They have been an absolute train wreck since 2017, fired their SB winning coach 3 years after he wins it all, trades their "QB of the future", are in worse salary cap hell than the Vikings ever dreamed of being in, passed on Justin Jefferson for Jalen Reagor when Jefferson was sitting on their lap for the taking and I can go on. I dont think Roseman is a good GM but the 2017 SB win is going to trump that every time in any sort of discussion so it's a waste of time.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:50 am And FYI, for everyone that thinks Eric Wilson stats are impressive and that he's a better option over Barr.....

Wilsons overall PFF grade this year: 53.5

Barr's overall PFF grade by year:
2014: 70.4
2015: 90.1
2016: 50.6
2017: 71.5
2018: 70.5
2019: 60.6

So even after this big "stat" year Eric Wilson had, in 5 out of 6 years, Barr has been much better than Wilson was in 2020. That just goes to show just how bad Wilson is against the run especially.

And I will once again post the alarming stat that Anthony Barr missed just over 2% of his attempted tackles in 2019 where Eric Wilson missed over a whopping 12% of his.

Again, this is not me saying Barr is "all world" or deserving of every penny of his contract before you try and twist my words around again or tell me what I believe. This is simply showing that Eric Wilson from a pure talent and overall LB standpoint, is NOT a better option than Anthony Barr. Period
My problem with most of your arguments is that you purpose skew them to your side. For instance, the Wilson is better than Barr argument is not simply because of Sacks and It's... But you should add tackles and most importantly... Salary. At his reduce salary, Wilson's play was a bargain; Barr's a disaster.

I don't care about tackles, sacks or ints. I care about impact and for too many games Barr is MI A. Now that could mean that he's doing his job as Zimmer proposed and being schemed for by the opposing offense, but at 14 million per year I expect a player that is schemed against and still impactful.

Also you compare all of Barrs years with a healthy team and a dominant nose tackle but use Wilson's year where his best defensive lineman was Shamar Stefan.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:25 pm

You'r correct. Philly beats us with a backup stiff at QB. The guy who do the bulk of the work was gone. You can call that great planning or just plain good old fashion luck. When we went to Philly for that Champ game I thought we were in. We had the miracle and I thought what a break we are facing one of the biggest stiffs ever in the Champ game with a great D. Then our great D tanked and our backup miracle QB threw a pick six. Bush league play and it was over. Changed the whole game. Our stiff was a bigger stiff than Philly's. Great GM work I guess. LA they had a great team that year. Much better than Rick has ever done. I don't doubt that. But they dumped Goff for a reason. Maybe because the D and run game did the bulk of the work to get them in the show? We will see what he does for the Lions. He needs to beat out an MVP QB and a Bear team that can play some D.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:44 pm
Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am

Oh I agree that Barr never should have gotten this big of a contract. I think that's more of a Zim doing than Rick. I think when Barr was about to walk, Zim was begging Spielman saying "I need him, find a way" type deal. Which then results in us overpaying.

But that is not what I've been referring to at all when it comes to Wilson and Barr. I've been discussing their overall ability as players. I really believe that if guys knew Barr and Wilson were going to command the same amount of money and who would they rather keep, that 95% of fans I talked about above, are choosing Wilson. And I've explained exactly why Wilson is not the logical choice here. But given what we have currently and what our options are, Reiff is 110% the guy that should move on from.
If we're asking who is worth more dollar for dollar Barr is hands down, he is a more talented player with better physical attributes.

My question is who is the better "value" dollar for dollar. In my humble opinion Wilson is a better "value" and is a capable player.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am

We all have opinions. Teddy is not close to what a team wants at QB. If he was the Panthers wouldn't be looking for another guy. Every QB needs alot around. The Pack are rebuilding their OL because it wasn't enough around the MVP QB. They would like to sign their FA running back. Why? Cousins played behind one of the worst OLs in the NFL. I haven't witnessed too many QBs that have had success behind a crap OL. I'm sure there are examples but it doesn't happen much. Prescott makes 7 million more than Cousins. I don't think he is a great QB but some may feel he's the best in the game. Let's say he's great. Cousins isn't paid like that. It's not close. When Cousins was a FA teams where after him. If Teddy gets cut you won't see teams lining up for him. I agree with Barr. I watched this for 50 years and if he's out of the lineup I'm not thinking we are done. My best memories of him are getting smoked down the seam. Obviously he's a good player because the Jets, for what that's worth, tried to sign him. I would tell him see ya. Brady has always taken less coin. Part of that is he is basically broke compared to his wife. If his wife was worth nothing he would be chasing the coin for his family. Please don't mention Teddy coming back. That's not even worth watching.
Yeah I definitely agree that the ship has sailed on Teddy and that he is probably better suited as a backup but I'm just not so sure Kirk is 11 million better than him. I have more of a problem with his salary next year it's like 40 something. He better be MVP this year to justify that.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am

Prescott's deal is much more team friendly. His cap hit is something like $22M because there's basically 2 dead years on the contract. And even in total, it's a $40M average. Cousins is getting $45M next year. Even if he restructures, he's not taking less than $45M, it will just be bonus heavy.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

none of these guys you all are debating about would be a starter on any real contender. Its no tragedy to release any of them...that is what makes this all so damn frustrating and boring....the entire OL is a waste of time. Spielman shows no chance of changing this. Its all a dead end.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:02 pm

My problem with most of your arguments is that you purpose skew them to your side. For instance, the Wilson is better than Barr argument is not simply because of Sacks and It's... But you should add tackles and most importantly... Salary. At his reduce salary, Wilson's play was a bargain; Barr's a disaster.
Yeah and Case Keenum was a bargain too. But the problem is, bargains dont last forever in this league. Wilson is going to command decent money. Not $14 million. But it's going to be a decent salary. Rumor has it he's seeking $9-$10 million. If that's the case, is he really a "bargain"? I'd keep Barr for $4 million more any day of the week.
I don't care about tackles, sacks or ints. I care about impact and for too many games Barr is MI A. Now that could mean that he's doing his job as Zimmer proposed and being schemed for by the opposing offense, but at 14 million per year I expect a player that is schemed against and still impactful.

Also you compare all of Barrs years with a healthy team and a dominant nose tackle but use Wilson's year where his best defensive lineman was Shamar Stefan.
Doing your job IS making an impact. You say he goes MIA because you dont see him making a flashy play. What you are looking for is flash. Which is why I continue to say thats why 95% of fans favor Wilson in that department. If Wilson wants $10 million and Barr is making $14 who's the better option?. I think that's an easy one. Like I feel like guys think Wilson will play for $2 million. No less, for the millionth time, cutting Barr results in nearly EIGHT MILLION in dead money. Keeping Wilson for $10 mill and sending Barr packing for $8 million in dead money results in $18 mill total out the door. So we'd have to soak dead money, overpay Wilson for bad run defense and now have a worse player at the position. No thanks

Just a little add in.....
Wilson has a solid 2020 in coverage, grading at 65.5, good for 27th among linebackers. His issues have been in the run game where his 38.3 grade ranked just 85th out of 99 qualifiers. Wilson brings well above average athleticism to the position and that shows up in flashes, but he must get better as a run defender if he’s going to play over 1,000 snaps once again as he did last season.
-Chazz Palminteri