Typical

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Typical

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:54 pm I dont think Ziggy is complacent, I just think he is out of touch with reality. He has put his money where his mouth is...he just is trusting Spielman to make good use of that cash...which is a fools errand.
If I was the owner I would be pretty well fed up with the decisions made by speilman. This is his coach, his QB, his OL.....and it doesnt work.
We have a beautiful stadium.....but under Spielman we will never see a championship banner hangining in it....
I dont live in MN, so I dont get the coverage I would like so I have aquestion for locals.......
Since the stadium has been completd has Ziggy made ANY public appearances or statements? I havent seen him in a loooong time. I wonder if he is well, if he is still lucid......
Good question.

Not really sure, but Mark Wilf is the one from that family whose name normally ends up in the media.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:14 pm So while I'm optimistic about the growth of our young players, I'm less optimistic about our future than I would be if the salary cap were still in the $200 million range.
I agree - the cap situation isn't good and Spielman will likely have to make some more difficult decisions this coming offseason.

But man, I can't recall a season where I saw so many promising young players on the team. That should make at least some of the cap decisions a little easier, or at the very least a little less painful.

The other thing that makes me optimistic about this team is the character they've shown so far. The way things went early in the season they could have just thrown in the towel. They had a myriad of excuses lined up if they wanted to go that route. They refused. For the most part they've buckled down and kept slogging and trying to get better and they've managed to do that. While the team won't remain static over the coming offseason, if they can retain that fire and get a full offseason, I can't wait to see what they can do next year.

:govikes:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:14 pm So while I'm optimistic about the growth of our young players, I'm less optimistic about our future than I would be if the salary cap were still in the $200 million range.
I agree - the cap situation isn't good and Spielman will likely have to make some more difficult decisions this coming offseason.

But man, I can't recall a season where I saw so many promising young players on the team. That should make at least some of the cap decisions a little easier, or at the very least a little less painful.

The other thing that makes me optimistic about this team is the character they've shown so far. The way things went early in the season they could have just thrown in the towel. They had a myriad of excuses lined up if they wanted to go that route. They refused. For the most part they've buckled down and kept slogging and trying to get better and they've managed to do that. While the team won't remain static over the coming offseason, if they can retain that fire and get a full offseason, I can't wait to see what they can do next year.

I'm cautiously optimistic about what I'm seeing, as well. The real issue is the defense, which I do believe will be better with Hunter, Pierce and Barr next year, assuming we can keep them all.

Here's an interesting stat I picked up on Vikings.com.

This year, the Minnesota Vikings have come from behind to take the lead in the fourth quarter three times.

The Vikings have lost the lead — and the game — each time.

I continue to stand by my premise that if it's late, 2 minutes or less, and the Vikings are behind, they're likely going to lose. I've yet to see Cousins bring us back from that situation since he's been in Minnesota.

But that stat ... wow. It's cause for both optimism and alarm. It bears repeating. We've come from behind to take the lead in the fourth quarter THREE TIMES, only to then lose the lead and the game. Our offense can get us the lead. Our defense can't hold it. We're the total anti-Zimmer team!

That's the difference between 4-6 with our playoff hopes on life support, and 7-3 and tied with the Pukers for the NFC North lead.

Get those three guys back, and get our young DBs some more playing time, and we could be in for a good year in 2021.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I continue to stand by my premise that if it's late, 2 minutes or less, and the Vikings are behind, they're likely going to lose. I've yet to see Cousins bring us back from that situation since he's been in Minnesota.

But that stat ... wow. It's cause for both optimism and alarm. It bears repeating. We've come from behind to take the lead in the fourth quarter THREE TIMES, only to then lose the lead and the game. Our offense can get us the lead. Our defense can't hold it. We're the total anti-Zimmer team!

That's the difference between 4-6 with our playoff hopes on life support, and 7-3 and tied with the Pukers for the NFC North lead.

Get those three guys back, and get our young DBs some more playing time, and we could be in for a good year in 2021.
I think it has to do with Zimmer's coaching style too. He's a defensive minded guy with an offensive powered team. He still seems content to leave it up to the defense in those kinds of situation and they can't handle it.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:11 am

I think it has to do with Zimmer's coaching style too. He's a defensive minded guy with an offensive powered team. He still seems content to leave it up to the defense in those kinds of situation and they can't handle it.
Prior to this season, how many 4th quarter leads has Zimmer blown?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 am
Cliff wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:11 am

Prior to this season, how many 4th quarter leads has Zimmer blown?
I don't know. In the past the defense has certainly been more up to the challenge of holding a lead than this season.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 pm

I agree with your thoughts about this season. Not being in the hunt is usually painful but not so much this year. We have some very good looking young players. Plus they fight hard. They didn't pack it in when all looked lost. I give the coaching staff credit for that. We do have CAP trouble but I'm confident that will be worked out. Some feel we need to sign a bunch of FAs but how often does that work? It's no given that's for sure.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Tark wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:06 pm Cold here in Wyoming but I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt ala Bud Grant
Nice!