The official JJ McCarthy Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The official JJ McCarthy Thread

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm I wanted Maye. Pretty sure KOC did too, but settled for JJ since the price was too high.

Sure hope they bench JJ for at least a year, make sure he is ready for 2025. KAM didnt have to trade up for it either.

Turner is a beat thats one injury away from a bust. He better bulk up a bit.

Very slow draft, with few pics this year, maybe less next year.But i think its better than be so far behind with all the picks it would have taken to get maye, daniels, williams.
They need to sit him until he's ready. I would also hope they make sure that the IOL can at least be avg. Another plug in at LG. He plays every position so he's a swing man. OK for a few games and nothing more.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

I’m feeling better and better about JJM. Somebody on this board told me to watch more tape on him. And I did. Thank you for the suggestion. I realize I’m now viewing all of his videos through purple shades, so I’m battling subjective vs objective. But F it, go Vikings. If ya can’t root for your team and the players then why even watch sports. Arm chair GM is lame. If I could do it better than Id be flying on a private jet right now eating lobster and A5 wagyu ribeye.

Here’s what I’m seeing with the purple shades - and some objective mixed in.

My favorite was Penix, Who I still feel has a better arm than JJM. But the “better critique” stops there. I’ve seen quite a bit of bad Penix tape since the Vikings drafted their 4th rd Oregon CB. JJM has a good arm, BUT can also do things Penix does not. A great arm is only useful if A-Z variables play out as intended FIRST to allow the play to be executed as it was drawn up. JJM slides in the pocket and escapes the pocket when needed and STILL keeps his eyes downfield better than any other QB in this draft. He can’t be a pure runner as well as Daniels, but he’s a better “running passer” or “mobile processor” than Daniels. So he’s better off-script than Penix, better on-script than Daniels, better arm strength than Nix, better leader than Caleb.

He looks like a frat boy with a solid buzz, and he kinda plays like that too. And I’m good with it.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm I wanted Maye. Pretty sure KOC did too, but settled for JJ since the price was too high.

Sure hope they bench JJ for at least a year, make sure he is ready for 2025. KAM didnt have to trade up for it either.

Very slow draft, with few pics this year, maybe less next year.But i think its better than be so far behind with all the picks it would have taken to get maye, daniels, williams.
They need to sit him until he's ready. I would also hope they make sure that the IOL can at least be avg. Another plug in at LG. He plays every position so he's a swing man. OK for a few games and nothing more.
Even know he’s only 21 he came from a pro style offence and was one of the most ready to start QBs in draft in scouts opinion. Don’t rush him by any means but I’d definitely hope they get him in this year at least a bit if not a full time starting role by week 6.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm

JJ will probably be ready from day one, but they will wait until Darnold sucks or gets injured before playing JJ.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I wonder if people will feel the Vikings settled for JJ in a few years once these guys have all had their shot.
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm Sure hope they bench JJ for at least a year, make sure he is ready for 2025. KAM didnt have to trade up for it either.
I hope McCarthy wins the job outright in camp and never looks back. I don't get the notion of sitting him unless he's not ready. It might be true he's not ready, but hopefully he wants to win the starting job out of the gate and hopefully KOC will give him a fair shake to do just that.
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm Turner is a beat thats one injury away from a bust. He better bulk up a bit.
Did Turner have an injury history in college? All I can find is that he suffered some undisclosed injury one offseason in college that required surgery and sat out a portion of one game with a different injury. Some are speculating that is the reason he fell in the draft, although from where I was sitting it looked like just about every defensive prospect fell this year as teams at the top of the draft went all-in on offense. I'd also assume that the Vikings did their homework on Turner because they moved up 6 spots to get him, so if he's got a major injury red flag, someone dropped the ball on that trade and pick.

Turner's weight is probably one of the main reasons he didn't go in the top ten, but keep in mind Turner played at Alabama and saw plenty of big OLs during his time there. He handled most of them, often with ease. I'm sure he'll bulk up further in the pros but I don't think his size is going to predispose him to a greater risk of injury. Watch some of his highlights or pre-draft profile analysis videos. Turner has long arms that he uses to quickly gain leverage over the guy opposing him. He has a lightning fast ability to change direction and step in and under his opponent, often making them look like they're frozen in time, like he gets to take two steps for their one, and he does this consistently.

I'm not trying to sell you on Turner and I understand if you just look at his stats he does look a bit undersized, but please take a look at how he plays before being so dismissive of him.
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm Very slow draft, with few pics this year, maybe less next year.But i think its better than be so far behind with all the picks it would have taken to get maye, daniels, williams.
Most drafts only produce 1-2 truly impactful players per team per year anyway. If the Vikings got that out of this year's draft I'm more than happy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 am
I wonder if people will feel the Vikings settled for JJ in a few years once these guys have all had their shot.
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm Sure hope they bench JJ for at least a year, make sure he is ready for 2025. KAM didnt have to trade up for it either.
I hope McCarthy wins the job outright in camp and never looks back. I don't get the notion of sitting him unless he's not ready. It might be true he's not ready, but hopefully he wants to win the starting job out of the gate and hopefully KOC will give him a fair shake to do just that.
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm Turner is a beat thats one injury away from a bust. He better bulk up a bit.
Did Turner have an injury history in college? All I can find is that he suffered some undisclosed injury one offseason in college that required surgery and sat out a portion of one game with a different injury. Some are speculating that is the reason he fell in the draft, although from where I was sitting it looked like just about every defensive prospect fell this year as teams at the top of the draft went all-in on offense. I'd also assume that the Vikings did their homework on Turner because they moved up 6 spots to get him, so if he's got a major injury red flag, someone dropped the ball on that trade and pick.

Turner's weight is probably one of the main reasons he didn't go in the top ten, but keep in mind Turner played at Alabama and saw plenty of big OLs during his time there. He handled most of them, often with ease. I'm sure he'll bulk up further in the pros but I don't think his size is going to predispose him to a greater risk of injury. Watch some of his highlights or pre-draft profile analysis videos. Turner has long arms that he uses to quickly gain leverage over the guy opposing him. He has a lightning fast ability to change direction and step in and under his opponent, often making them look like they're frozen in time, like he gets to take two steps for their one, and he does this consistently.

I'm not trying to sell you on Turner and I understand if you just look at his stats he does look a bit undersized, but please take a look at how he plays before being so dismissive of him.
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm Very slow draft, with few pics this year, maybe less next year.But i think its better than be so far behind with all the picks it would have taken to get maye, daniels, williams.
Most drafts only produce 1-2 truly impactful players per team per year anyway. If the Vikings got that out of this year's draft I'm more than happy.
McCarthy played more snaps under center than any of the other 6 first round QBs. His scheme was more pro style than any of the other 6 first round QBs. He's one of the most pro ready QBs there are. I'm expecting him to start by week 4 if not earlier.

Dallas Turner was the consensus best defensive prospect in the draft. Any injury history as far as I know is ticky tac minor stuff. Latu has an even higher ceiling, but has a scary neck injury that caused his temporary retirement.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's KOC breaking down JJ. In the first minute he says JJ was a player I identified as a QBOTF to build around. Yeah he probably preferred Maye, but I believe he is not lying and he's thrilled to have JJ.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:40 pm Here's KOC breaking down JJ. In the first minute he says JJ was a player I identified as a QBOTF to build around. Yeah he probably preferred Maye, but I believe he is not lying and he's thrilled to have JJ.
There's nothing wrong with JJM. I think your right it was Maye, JJM. Many have said he is in a great spot and I think that's true. Obviously it would be great if we can get some kind of running game working. I think based on our offense those 2 were the top guys.
I don't see JJM as a huge drop off either. JJM played on a better more balanced team and that always helps. You need that anyway if you went to go all the way. I also like just letting Flores handle the D. They got him a top guy also.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm pretty interested to see what Flores is gonna do with this roster full of tweener, edge/olb guys. I feel confident Turner plays DE. Maybe they play two tackles and then surround Pace with three guys that have edge rush ability and enough versatility to drop. How many of these guys can he get on the field at once? I'm guessing it'll be 4.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins