The official JJ McCarthy Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

The official JJ McCarthy Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I take all the credit or blame for us drafting McCarthy due to wearing my Michigan Polo for the draft :lol: . I'm super excited about getting him with very little more than just pick 11. He is a great prospect and might be that elusive franchise QB.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The official JJ McCarthy Thread

I love this Bleacher Report evaluation of JJ.

10. Minnesota Vikings (via New York Jets): JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan
Strengths: Nifty movement skills inside and outside of pocket, drives ball over middle of the field and outside the numbers, works well within pro-style structure, pressure doesn't faze him

Weaknesses: Lack of touch when layered throws are necessary, sub-par deep passer, inconsistent footwork, particularly when throwing to his left

J.J. McCarthy is the NFL draft's version of an abstract painting. The viewer projects what they want to see upon his body of work.

From a fundamental standpoint, the 21-year-old's skill set is well-crafted. McCarthy is a 6'3", 219-pound quarterback with excellent arm action, pocket movement and mobility. He has the canvas to be something truly special.

At the same time, the picture isn't complete. McCarthy made some phenomenal throws during Michigan's run to a national title, but he played in a run-first offense and he averaged at least five fewer attempts per game than any of the other this year's top quarterback prospects.

The number itself isn't a problem, because his traits can still be projected. But he had fewer opportunities to make critical throws during key, late-game moments.

Still, the ability is present. Really, the standard for McCarthy is built upon his internal makeup.

"...once [NFL scouts] were around him, I was hearing the stories about how he is on the board, how he is on the field, the little things, the intangibles," former Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters. "I mean, it was absolutely no surprise whatsoever. But yeah, there was raving, and it was great to hear and incredible to hear."

Kudos, Minnesota Vikings. They didn't bite on all the rumor-mongering about McCarthy going much higher in the draft. Instead of moving their extra first-round pick to trade up into the top five, the Vikings flipped fourth- and fifth-round picks to move up one spot, while getting a sixth-rounder back.

McCarthy moves into an awesome situation with Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison at wide receiver as well as T.J. Hockenson at tight end. The 21-year-old will also get to work with head coach/offensive play-caller Kevin O'Connell and quarterbacks coach Josh McCown, both of whom played quarterback in the NFL.

Grade: A
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

He's the guy I wanted and I love that we didn't have to trade major assets to land him.

He contrasts with Kirk in interesting ways: 1) has been a winner at every stage of the game 2) highly regarded recruit coming out of HS 3) has nerves of steel; plays better when the chips are down; has been meditating since 17--knows how to quiet the mind and isn't a nervous Nelly by disposition.

Judging NCAA QB talent is hard. I've been wrong many times over the years. Thor Nystrom has a much better sense of what it takes to make the transition and he has been all in on JJ from early on. Even when most were depicting him as a 2nd round talent, Thor argued he was among the best of the class and that the discussion should be of a top 4 (not 3). So, obviously I'm hoping Thor is right.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

McCarthy almost seemed fated to go to the Vikings. Once he made it past the Giants at 6 I was almost certain he'd end up in Minnesota. Of course, nobody expected the Falcons to nab Penix so I was thinking the Vikings would have their selection of Penix, McCarthy or Nix at that point, but I still think they got the QB they wanted.

Of note is that it appears the Vikings were interested in trading outright for Justin Herbert. Lots of pre-draft chatter had them dealing with the Chargers for the 5th pick (almost always to draft McCarthy, ironically), but later reports had them interested not just in the pick but the Charger QB along with the Patriots who were also interested apparently. And then other reports said the Vikings tried to trade up to the 3rd pick but the Patriots weren't interested. So I'd have to assume that meant the QB the Vikings *wanted* in this draft was Maye.

All of this leads me to believe that while I'm sure they are happy they got McCarthy they weren't sold on him per se. That's actually understandable as I'm not sold on him either, but McCarthy now has the opportunity to show everyone what he can do and he'll be in an ideal situation to do that. Unlike the first 3 QBs taken, he won't be expected to start Day One and save a franchise. Unlike Penix in Atlanta, he will have the opportunity to win the starting job, though, or at the very least be able to get on the field early in his career. So he has a great setup with a great supporting cast. It will be interesting to see if he can seize the day.

Fascinating draft overall. 6 QBs taken in the first 12 picks. Did the Vikings strike gold with one of them?
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

How can you not love that? At the very least he is excited to play for us.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:40 am McCarthy almost seemed fated to go to the Vikings. Once he made it past the Giants at 6 I was almost certain he'd end up in Minnesota. Of course, nobody expected the Falcons to nab Penix so I was thinking the Vikings would have their selection of Penix, McCarthy or Nix at that point, but I still think they got the QB they wanted.

Of note is that it appears the Vikings were interested in trading outright for Justin Herbert. Lots of pre-draft chatter had them dealing with the Chargers for the 5th pick (almost always to draft McCarthy, ironically), but later reports had them interested not just in the pick but the Charger QB along with the Patriots who were also interested apparently. And then other reports said the Vikings tried to trade up to the 3rd pick but the Patriots weren't interested. So I'd have to assume that meant the QB the Vikings *wanted* in this draft was Maye.

All of this leads me to believe that while I'm sure they are happy they got McCarthy they weren't sold on him per se. That's actually understandable as I'm not sold on him either, but McCarthy now has the opportunity to show everyone what he can do and he'll be in an ideal situation to do that. Unlike the first 3 QBs taken, he won't be expected to start Day One and save a franchise. Unlike Penix in Atlanta, he will have the opportunity to win the starting job, though, or at the very least be able to get on the field early in his career. So he has a great setup with a great supporting cast. It will be interesting to see if he can seize the day.

Fascinating draft overall. 6 QBs taken in the first 12 picks. Did the Vikings strike gold with one of them?
You don't see JJM as a 1st rounder which is fine it's your judgment. Many saw him as a 2nd rounder. Just like I wouldn't touch Penix before day 3. Once you got off the top 2 guys and they have been there for a few years the roll of the dice is more tricky. Plus I keep seeing about our great situation for a QB. Sorry but I don't see it. Dallas is great they go on winning streaks when Dak gets knocked out. I'm not talking 2 games either. They put a nothing behind center. Their core is far above ours. Yes we have 2 WRs and a TE. How about the OL? I would look there first. If your OL is bad even running the ball disappears. The Bengals have been on this never ending cycle of trying to fix the OL. Their QB might be another Luck and pack it in after years of beatings. Or wait for a life long limp.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Look, I'm just happy we didn't desperately grab a QB in the draft with a noodle arm like Christian Ponder again.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:40 am McCarthy almost seemed fated to go to the Vikings. Once he made it past the Giants at 6 I was almost certain he'd end up in Minnesota. Of course, nobody expected the Falcons to nab Penix so I was thinking the Vikings would have their selection of Penix, McCarthy or Nix at that point, but I still think they got the QB they wanted.

You don't see JJM as a 1st rounder which is fine it's your judgment.
I didn't say that, or if I did I misspoke. I thought McCarthy hadn't demonstrated enough on the field yet to justify a high pick, but could still be well worth the pick. In my view he carried the highest overall risk of the top group of QB's, but also a high reward. I liked Penix more because of his arm, but I'm not unhappy the Vikings took McCarthy, especially where they got him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJ's press conference.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 pm JJ's press conference.
I was watching that and thinking either McCarthy is shorter than advertised or O'Connell is tall. I looked it up and O'Connell is tall, whew, McCarthy not a shrimp. McCarthy handles himself well, I always think of what I'd have been like at that age, would have been a train wreck in those situations.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

cogitator wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:42 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 pm JJ's press conference.
I was watching that and thinking either McCarthy is shorter than advertised or O'Connell is tall. I looked it up and O'Connell is tall, whew, McCarthy not a shrimp. McCarthy handles himself well, I always think of what I'd have been like at that age, would have been a train wreck in those situations.
Yep O'Connell is tall. McCarthy is supposed to be 6'3". O'Connell I thought was 6'5" and wide bodied as well.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Us and Denver are following the same path. Both have a Jet franchise QB failure as a gap starter and a 1st rounder waiting on deck. Should be interesting. The Jets can really burn through them. They even failed in the 83 class.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Bill Belichek gives the McCarthy pick his seal of approval.

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:16 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 pm
You don't see JJM as a 1st rounder which is fine it's your judgment.
I didn't say that, or if I did I misspoke. I thought McCarthy hadn't demonstrated enough on the field yet to justify a high pick, but could still be well worth the pick. In my view he carried the highest overall risk of the top group of QB's, but also a high reward. I liked Penix more because of his arm, but I'm not unhappy the Vikings took McCarthy, especially where they got him.
Most of us have been all over the board with this QB stuff. I think we all posted stuff that we don't remember or even think about. That's ok and don't matter at this point. I don't know how JJM will do. IMO Maye was the better prospect which was shown based on draft slot just like Caleb is a better prospect. Now the rubber hits the road. They won't all be superstars. Just look at what we and the Broncos signed to carry the load for a year or 2. They were potential superstars who are now garbage.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I wanted Maye. Pretty sure KOC did too, but settled for JJ since the price was too high.

Sure hope they bench JJ for at least a year, make sure he is ready for 2025. KAM didnt have to trade up for it either.

Turner is a beat thats one injury away from a bust. He better bulk up a bit.

Very slow draft, with few pics this year, maybe less next year.But i think its better than be so far behind with all the picks it would have taken to get maye, daniels, williams.