Draft Day Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

makila
Franchise Player

Re: Draft Day Discussion

Post by makila »

Turner was really good in what I saw of him in college. No issues with him as the pick at all. Great value there I think.
psjordan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 pm
makila wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:12 pm Haven't seen one of the big names report it yet. Early chatter on twitter is:

2024 5th (this year)
2025 3rd
2025 4th

to get the #17 this year

:shock:
I think our FO is figuring on the compensatory picks we'll gain next year. And maybe very low probability we'll get some comp for Kirk's ATL tampering. I LOVE the trade, I think Turner will be an absolute stud and that we had zero shot at him.
They have to be. Not sure what we have left after the 1st rnd pick next year, at this moment.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Turner was considered by most the best defender in the draft. Well worth it.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I really like what the Vikings did tonight. While both trades look costly on the surface they're smart.

Denver or Vegas were threats to move up for JJ. He's only 21 and coming in to a great situation.

The trade for Turner is also fine because we will get two 3rd round comp picks next year. I was surprised we took an edge after FA but you can never have enough. He has elite burst that you can't teach.

Arguably the two most important positions on a team in QB and edge. If they hit on these two this will go down as one of their best drafts ever.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:58 pm
BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 pm

I’M crushed the Vikings got Mccarthy. I’ll be mad for a week, then start watching the highlight reels of him throwing 3 passes a game at Michigan when the opposing defense was keying on the dominant run game, then I’ll get mad again. And then maybe a month from now I’ll start drinking the Kool Aid. I’m a glass half full guy at heart, I just need some time. Like it or not, he’s our guy now… so I’m rooting for him! All he does is win, right? ….. right?!
He didn't pass a lot, but when he did he was sensational. Right up there with Nix. And he's so young. He has so much room to improve. You should be thrilled we got him for practically free.
I hope you’re right bro. Can we get some honest thoughts on the record this year? We have the team we had last year but Darnold/JJ instead of Kirk, and Turner instead of Hunter. Didn’t Kwesi bring in 2 above average edges from the dolphins and Texans? Paying starter money for depth now at one of those spots I guess.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:16 pm
makila wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:12 pm Haven't seen one of the big names report it yet. Early chatter on twitter is:

2024 5th (this year)
2025 3rd
2025 4th

to get the #17 this year

:shock:
Turner is a top 10 talent and exactly the type of player Flores will maximize, so while they gave up quite a bit to get him I'm ecstatic they got him.

Also fine with the move to get McCarthy. I think the Falcons spooked them with Penix at 8 (puzzling move to say the least) but I think the Vikings got who they wanted at QB and an immediate impact edge player on the defense.
Totally agree.

Dallas Turner was the first player off the board on some mocks. He'll contribute immediately — huge value at 17. JJ at 10 is also a great value.

I love how the Vikings are really focusing on the first round. Kwesi is killing this draft.

Meanwhile ... Atlanta ... WTF? You spend $180 million for Cousins, then blow the 8th pick on the 5th-best QB in the draft? Baffling.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

cogitator wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm Unbelievable Falcons take Penix.
Figured with Cousins they were out of the qb market. They really did a good job of keeping that under wraps.
Cousins coming off an Achilles tear...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:58 pm
He didn't pass a lot, but when he did he was sensational. Right up there with Nix. And he's so young. He has so much room to improve. You should be thrilled we got him for practically free.
I hope you’re right bro. Can we get some honest thoughts on the record this year? We have the team we had last year but Darnold/JJ instead of Kirk, and Turner instead of Hunter. Didn’t Kwesi bring in 2 above average edges from the dolphins and Texans? Paying starter money for depth now at one of those spots I guess.
De greenard from HOU and lb van ginkel from MIA. Can't have enough edge rushers in today's nfl imho.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Absolutely STOKED the Vikings traded up and got Turner. He definitely wasn't going to be there at 23. Getting a top 5 talent at 17 is a steal and a wonderful job done by the Vikings front office!

So, when are they going to pick next? They have no 2nd or 3rd...or4th(?)
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

They got their dog at QB. I just hope that dog can hunt. We'll know in 3 or 4 years. I guess he'll get Tommy's old number. Haven't seen that on the field in a long time. Getting a rusher is important. You can't play D without that. At least no trade downs in round 1.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm Unbelievable Falcons take Penix.
Figured with Cousins they were out of the qb market. They really did a good job of keeping that under wraps.
Why? If you wait until you have nothing on the roster it's too late. He will need to sit a couple years so what. That's how you stop having nothing at QB. He'll make a great backup for a few seasons. Packers have been doing that for basically 1/2 a century. They just click the switch. We sit around kicking over every rock looking for a body. I don't care for the pick but I'm glad he was off the board.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

Why? If you wait until you have nothing on the roster it's too late. He will need to sit a couple years so what. That's how you stop having nothing at QB. He'll make a great backup for a few seasons. Packers have been doing that for basically 1/2 a century. They just click the switch. We sit around kicking over every rock looking for a body. I don't care for the pick but I'm glad he was off the board.

If I’m a falcons fan, I’m psyched about the next decade. It’s EXACTLY what I wish Minnesota did. Extend Cousins for 2 years (yessss full guaranteed 50 milly/year blah blah blah and then incentive based after that) with Penix healing and learning to become the next great franchise top 3 QB in the league. So maybe we wouldn’t have been able to afford van ginkle AND greenard AND cash. One of them is taking up bench space now anyway to make room for Turner.

Y’all don’t hold this against me, I’ve been drinking and I’m being pessimistic. Could’ve never predicted Penix going before number 11 anyway, so it’s pretty unavoidable. One last negative thing… I’d trade JJM for Levis right now, straight up. Ok, I’m done.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Love the Ravens pick at 30. Nate Wiggins from Clemson. Big, physical corner, and one of the best cure cover corners in the draft.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:03 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

If I’m a falcons fan, I’m psyched about the next decade. It’s EXACTLY what I wish Minnesota did. Extend Cousins for 2 years (yessss full guaranteed 50 milly/year blah blah blah and then incentive based after that) with Penix healing and learning to become the next great franchise top 3 QB in the league. So maybe we wouldn’t have been able to afford van ginkle AND greenard AND cash. One of them is taking up bench space now anyway to make room for Turner.

Y’all don’t hold this against me, I’ve been drinking and I’m being pessimistic. Could’ve never predicted Penix going before number 11 anyway, so it’s pretty unavoidable. One last negative thing… I’d trade JJM for Levis right now, straight up. Ok, I’m done.
You really need to look into McCarthy more than you have. His stats were sensational just not high volume. He was very strong in pressure situations. I'm so glad we took Addison last year instead of Levis and got JJ this year.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 pm

You really need to look into McCarthy more than you have. His stats were sensational just not high voluem. He was very strong in pressure situations. I'm so glad we took Addison last year instead of Levis and got JJ this year.
There's been plenty of guys who threw the ball all over the place in college and did nothing in the NFL. IMO JJM is a better prospect than Levis and I liked Levis. JJM has his faults like they all do. But he played a pro type of game at Michigan and was coached by a pro. From the field to the headset. Harbough knows the pro game. It's easy to say JJM had a cake walk to the Championship but he didn't screw it up. That's not easy to do. Plenty of favorites got beat over time. Plus there's no doubt he has a strong arm. His velocity is great and can be called the best in this class. I think it's the best pick they could have made. Now he needs the coaching and a supporting cast. That includes the OL. No QB wins behind a bad OL. Including Mahomes.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 pm

You really need to look into McCarthy more than you have. His stats were sensational just not high volume. He was very strong in pressure situations. I'm so glad we took Addison last year instead of Levis and got JJ this year.
What if it meant getting Levis last year, then Odunze this year? Kwesi did 2 trade ups in the first rd this year, so pretty realistic to get up to 8 above the bears. Jefferson and Odunze. Best tandem in the league. I’m being petty. Odunze > Addison.