1st Round Final Prediction

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 1st Round Final Prediction

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:44 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 pm
I agree the trade will be for pick 4 to take McCarthy but it won't include one iota more than 11 and 23 if Kwesi isn't an idiot.
Ummm... :popcorn:

In all seriousness, I think it will include more than the two firsts the Vikings have because the Vikings aren't the only team that needs a QB that sits outside of the top 3. I could see Denver or the Raiders make strong plays to move up to 4 and since neither of those teams can offer an additional first rounder this year, they'll have to sweeten it to beat what the Vikings can plop on the table. If KAM isn't willing to go higher, he very well could lose out, so I'll think he'll overbid (and even then he could still be beaten out if another team is desperate enough). #4 will be a seller's market for the Cardinals.

Ironically, I think two things work in the Vikings' favor though. First is that I don't think KAM will be willing to part with any additional picks to move up to #4. He's putting a lot on the table to move up, but he's not going to get into a bidding war, so while the compensation is high, I think it won't become higher.

Second thing that works in the Vikings' favor here is the depth at the position and the fact that with the first 4 players taken likely to be QBs, other really good talent is going to be pushed down the board. That could turn the Vikings from a buyer to a seller if another team outbids them to move up. In that scenario KAM might hold at 11 and see how things play out. He might not necessarily get the QB he wanted at 4, but he might be in a position to move back a bit in the first while getting back into the 2nd and still getting one of the top QB prospects. I have a feeling Nix is going to be the faller at QB in this draft if anyone is, and like you I think Nix is a great prospect. KAM going back to, say, 17 while picking up a mid 2nd-rounder and still getting Nix would be a coup IMHO. He could still spend 23 on DL or OL or DB along with a solid slot in round 2 that he doesn't have right now.

We'll see how it goes. I personally don't think any other team would be desperate enough to give up more than the 3 1sts I'm projecting the Vikings will give up, but stranger things have happened. There is also always the outside chance the Cards get cold feet and decide they want a particular guy at 4 and refuse to trade.

If the Falcons and Raiders had been just slightly more competent last season, the Vikings would at worst have the 6th pick and wouldn't have to worry about a trade up. It's almost like they were doubly cursed when Cousins was injured and then left, winning just enough games to make replacing him that much more difficult in the draft while at the same time being forced to replace him in said draft.

It is what it is now. Time to see what KAM has in his bag of tricks.
I stand by my idiot if he gives up more than 11 and 23. The Cards supposedly want MHJ and all that has to be done for them to get MHJ is the 3 way trade I proposed and they get to move up from 27 to 23 for free. The Chargers can still get a great O lineman at 11 and trust me that is what they want plus somebody pretty great at 27. If for some inexplicable reason one of them turn down this trade, the Vikings simply say you want too much and stick at 11 for Nix.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

In about 24 hours I'm prepared to hear the words I don't want to hear. "We have a trade. The New England Patriots have sent the #3 pick to the Minnesota Vikings. Minnesota is on the clock."
For some strange reason they never announce the compensation for the pick.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 am I'll go with Penix at 11 and Powers-Johnson at 23.
Modifying this as follows:

Vikings trade 11 and 23 plus their 2025 1st rounder to the Cardinals for #4 where they will take JJ McCarthy.

I'm still predicting the first three picks this year will be Williams to the Bears at #1, Maye to the Commanders at #2, and Daniels to the Patriots at #3.
Great, now I’m nauseas.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. Maye
4. McCarthy
5. Harrison Jr
6. Nabers
7. Alt
8. Turner
9. Odunze
10. Bowers
11. Fuaga
12. Nix
13. Penix
14. Q Mitchell
15. Verse
16. Murphy II
17. Fashanu
18. Arnold
19. DeJean
20. Wiggins
21. J Newton
22. KoolAid
23. Fautanu
24. Latham
25. Latu
26. Chop Robinson
27. Brian Thomas
28. Adonai Mitchell
29. Darius Robinson
30. Mims
31. Barton
32. McConkey

This is my version 8.0.I think Daniels and the Commies have kissed and made up. My draft is predicated on a three way trade with us getting 4, the Cards getting 5 and 23, the Chargers getting 11 and 27.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:26 pm In about 24 hours I'm prepared to hear the words I don't want to hear. "We have a trade. The New England Patriots have sent the #3 pick to the Minnesota Vikings. Minnesota is on the clock."
I highly doubt you will want to hear it or like it. As you posted you will be in an acceptance state eventually. We won't know the finale outcome until 3 or 4 years later. We will either have the next Love or Purdy (the modern day QBs) or be back on the hunt again once we realize it's the next TJack or Webb ect.....
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:26 pm In about 24 hours I'm prepared to hear the words I don't want to hear. "We have a trade. The New England Patriots have sent the #3 pick to the Minnesota Vikings. Minnesota is on the clock."
I highly doubt you will want to hear it or like it. As you posted you will be in an acceptance state eventually. We won't know the finale outcome until 3 or 4 years later. We will either have the next Love or Purdy (the modern day QBs) or be back on the hunt again once we realize it's the next TJack or Webb ect.....
I would not be excited at all about the next Love or Purdy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 am
Keep your chin up. I just read that if the Pats won't take the farm for pick 3 we will stick and take Nix. I would certainly want him over Penix. Although I do think Penix will be the pick. I wouldn't do that unless it was a day 3 pick. We all have an opinion. One poster said Daniels will win many championships. I guess the Chiefs and that stellar 2021 draft are done. Daniels will end a dynasty and create a new one even if he goes to the untalented Giants. Sounds easy that way.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:24 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 am
Keep your chin up. I just read that if the Pats won't take the farm for pick 3 we will stick and take Nix. I would certainly want him over Penix. Although I do think Penix will be the pick. I wouldn't do that unless it was a day 3 pick. We all have an opinion. One poster said Daniels will win many championships. I guess the Chiefs and that stellar 2021 draft are done. Daniels will end a dynasty and create a new one even if he goes to the untalented Giants. Sounds easy that way.
I wouldn't mind a slight trade up for McCarthy to get him at 8 or so using 11 and a 4th and 5th.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I think Multiple first round picks is too much to move up. Too costly.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. Maye
4. Harrison Jr
5. Alt
6. Nabers
7. Fuaga
8. McCarthy
9. Odunze
10. Bowers
11. Turner
12. Nix
13. Penix
14. Q Mitchell
15. Verse
16. Murphy II
17. Latham
18. Arnold
19. DeJean
20. KoolAid
21. J Newton
22. Wiggins
23. Latu
24. Fashanu
25. Fautanu
26. Chop Robinson
27. Mims
28. Brian Thomas
29. Darius Robinson
30. Barton
31. Jackson Powers-Johnson
32. Adonai Mitchell
This is my version 9.0. This is my hopeful one that I don't really believe where the Vikings don't give up pick 23 to get JJ. They trade with the Falcons and take him at 8. In a very Kwesi move the Vikings take the ridiculously talented, but injury risk Latu at pick 23. Barring some big draft news coming out this will be my final edition.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Laserman wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:41 am I think Multiple first round picks is too much to move up. Too costly.
Hell yeah. Not much difference between QBs 3-6 anyway. Why give up huge assets like first round picks.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:24 am
I wouldn't mind a slight trade up for McCarthy to get him at 8 or so using 11 and a 4th and 5th.
Kwesi said pick 23 is untouchable so perhaps you are correct. He can't even get that right. Make it more entertaining for the simple fan like me than that. Say something like the cannon is loaded and we are ready to blast our way to the top or close to it since pick No 1 isn't on the table. We'll even throw money bag JJ in. He don't fit our position group budget. We can't go in with him and a bunch of street FA. Our passing game can't thrive on that. All kidding aside we already flushed this season down the drain. It would have been more entertaining for my eyes with Hunter and Kirk in the mix. That's our 2 vet leaders on both sides. They can play the sport. At least we could stay with the top teams (49ers/Chiefs whoever) and compete for a win. Now it's a fight to stay relevant and avoid the north basement. Listen to talk about replacing Sammy with the 1st round pick savior has no entertainment value for me. I never thought I'd see a 3-0 game but we might top that one. 2-0 will be a good chuckle for every non fan and the media. Better yet 0-0 tie after OT.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

BeforeIDie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 pm

Modifying this as follows:

Vikings trade 11 and 23 plus their 2025 1st rounder to the Cardinals for #4 where they will take JJ McCarthy.

I'm still predicting the first three picks this year will be Williams to the Bears at #1, Maye to the Commanders at #2, and Daniels to the Patriots at #3.
Great, now I’m nauseas.
:lol:

Honestly, this draft will show us if KAM is all bark and no bite IMHO. If he's just another Spielman or does he bring any real insight to the GM position. Does he make the obvious, desperate moves or does he understand how to play the system like a fine-tuned instrument? Can he get the pick in on time or will he end up speeding up the 1st round ala Mike Tice?

Got to have a little humor in all this. Nobody knows how it will turn out. The Vikings have been so unlucky for so long at the QB position that one has to believe fate owes us a good turn for a change.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 am Kwesi said pick 23 is untouchable so perhaps you are correct.
Where did you read or hear that?

That doesn't sound like something a good GM would say.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 am Kwesi said pick 23 is untouchable so perhaps you are correct.
Where did you read or hear that?

That doesn't sound like something a good GM would say.
Reports are he's trying to trade up while holding on to pick 23. Kwesi never said it and it certainly isn't untouchable. Char heard wrong.