Justin Jefferson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Alaskan
Starter

Re: Justin Jefferson

Post by Alaskan »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:58 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:45 pm I messed up the structure of my last post. Not very good with technology. And I’m only 35!
It's not really "technology", it's just a tag system. Image links go between an image tag, quotes go between a quote tag, to bold text it goes between the bold tag, etc.

It's pretty simple but I could see some confusion if you're not used to it. Message Boards like this have mostly been replaced with social media.

If you want to respond to individual parts of a post you need a quote tag around each place you want the other person's quote to stop. Then write your text, then put their next section in quotes, and so on.

There is also a preview button you can use to check what your post will look like before you post.
Thanks for this info Cliff. I struggle with this too. I mostly use my phone when on the site. I don’t have any social media accounts and never will.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:58 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:45 pm I messed up the structure of my last post. Not very good with technology. And I’m only 35!
It's not really "technology", it's just a tag system. Image links go between an image tag, quotes go between a quote tag, to bold text it goes between the bold tag, etc.

It's pretty simple but I could see some confusion if you're not used to it. Message Boards like this have mostly been replaced with social media.

If you want to respond to individual parts of a post you need a quote tag around each place you want the other person's quote to stop. Then write your text, then put their next section in quotes, and so on.

There is also a preview button you can use to check what your post will look like before you post.
Thanks
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:43 pm
makila wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:28 am

It isn't just about someone else's money. There's a salary cap.
I’m aware there’s a salary cap. But the weight of the QB position dictates that you may have to sacrifice in other areas. You don’t skimp at QB. Darnold is skimping. You know why this year’s draft is so exciting? Cause it’s all we have.
Ah, The Kirk Cousins Effect is in full force.

He’s not even a Viking anymore, yet every thread turns to Kirk.

Not a shot at you. Just funny.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:26 am

I’m aware there’s a salary cap. But the weight of the QB position dictates that you may have to sacrifice in other areas. You don’t skimp at QB. Darnold is skimping. You know why this year’s draft is so exciting? Cause it’s all we have.

It's not funny but sad. It's not the Kirk Cousins effect because many wanted him gone anyway. They got their wish. We are in the no QB on the roster effect. Which means the show is over close the curtain. Open it back up in a few years and see what the show looks like.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

When more actual Vikings news happen it'll go away mostly. At this point it's just the last significant thing to happen to the team since the season ended. The mid-april blues. Looking forward to the draft.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

I’m not sitting here arguing the Vikings should’ve outbid the Falcons. I’m saying that it’s poor management that it got to this point to begin with. Should’ve had a substantial pick used on QB in the last 2 years to sit behind Kirk and take the reigns now that Sam Darnold is the best QB on our team. It’s not the “Kirk Cousins’ blues” that everyone is singing… it’s the “Kwesi sucks” blues. And that blues song might get stuck in our head for the next 5 years. I hope I’m wrong by the way, and that Kwesi falls a$$ backwards into a good thing. But it won’t be intentional. It’ll be falling a$$ backwards.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:54 pm

I’m not sitting here arguing the Vikings should’ve outbid the Falcons. I’m saying that it’s poor management that it got to this point to begin with. Should’ve had a substantial pick used on QB in the last 2 years to sit behind Kirk and take the reigns now that Sam Darnold is the best QB on our team. It’s not the “Kirk Cousins’ blues” that everyone is singing… it’s the “Kwesi sucks” blues. And that blues song might get stuck in our head for the next 5 years. I hope I’m wrong by the way, and that Kwesi falls a$$ backwards into a good thing. But it won’t be intentional. It’ll be falling a$$ backwards.
You hit it on the head. It has nothing to do about the guy we had it has to do with this GM. How you can let the roster be empty at QB is beyond me. Everyone thinks KOC will turn Slingin Sammy into a good QB. The guy sucks. Plus our GM gave 10 million a year for that joke. He did the same crap with Davenport. KOC turned Dobbs into a guy they couldn't even put on the field. He did zero for Mullens. So I don't see any proof that he is a QB maker. Now we will pick some guy at 11 or 23 who will be a 3rd to 5th round talent like JJM, Penix or Nix and then he'll sit for a season or two then a few more seasons to see if he can play. Another Mac Jones, Teddy, Ponder, Tasker ect.... type. People act like QBs that are top 10 are laying around all over the place doing nothing. I'm not saying if we kept Cousins we would be SB favorites because we have gaping holes but at least we would be in the hunt as a contender and can play some entertaining football. The NFC is full of Johnny come lately teams. We kicked that Packer teams a$$ the 1st game. They made us look like an expansion team the 2nd game. There is no dynasty team like the Chiefs in the NFC. Our GM isn't even football smart enough to take advantage of that. I think Danny Dimes will be here next year. The Wilf's are Giant fans it will give them some entertainment. Plus I think they like the guy. With our top line stadium games will sell out no matter what they put out there.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Do you think we should have drafted Levis last year instead of Addison. I'm glad we didn't. I'd rather have Addison and take my chances on Nix, Penix or McCarthy this year whoever is available at 11. I wouldn't be devastated if we took Maye at 11. Please don't trade up for any of these guys. I guess I wouldn't be devastated by a trade up for McCarthy using 11 and 23 only. He is young and has potential to be very good.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Fwiw I do think a team should stab at qb every few seasons with a later pick. If one of those guys hits, it changes the entire complexion of the team. It's why I liked the Hall pick. Do that every few years. Might hit.

NE did it when they had Bledsoe. They did it when they had Brady. Hell those guys if decent can be moved for assets too. Hello Cassell, Jimmy G, and Brissett.

To VVs point, you don't do that with the high picks all the time though. Ie Levis last year.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:06 pm

Do you think we should have drafted Levis last year instead of Addison. I'm glad we didn't. I'd rather have Addison and take my chances on Nix, Penix or McCarthy this year whoever is available at 11. I wouldn't be devastated if we took Maye at 11. Please don't trade up for any of these guys. I guess I wouldn't be devastated by a trade up for McCarthy using 11 and 23 only. He is young and has potential to be very good.
It’s within the realm of possibility that Kwesi could’ve acquired a second rd pick for Levis, or spent a 3rd on Hooker (I think he went to the Lions to marinate). Ya think the Lions spending a 3rd pick on a non QB position would’ve helped or hindered them last year? I doubt it. But they built for the future.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:06 pm

And, for the record, I am psyched about the prospect of the Vikings picking up Penix or Maye/Daniels. I agree we should not trade up for anyone. My beef with Mcarthy is that he has not consistently displayed the ability to be the guy the team wins BECAUSE of, rather the guy teams win WITH. And that’s not necessarily his fault, I’ll concede. It was Harbaugh’s system. Now, it’s all a gamble. But would you rather put all your marbles on a guy who was not spectacular at the college level (be it due to system or ability or whatever) or a guy who lit the NCAA on fire consistently and was the driving force on his team?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:43 pm Fwiw I do think a team should stab at qb every few seasons with a later pick. If one of those guys hits, it changes the entire complexion of the team. It's why I liked the Hall pick. Do that every few years. Might hit.

NE did it when they had Bledsoe. They did it when they had Brady. Hell those guys if decent can be moved for assets too. Hello Cassell, Jimmy G, and Brissett.

To VVs point, you don't do that with the high picks all the time though. Ie Levis last year.
What is a high pick? Since Kwesi had no intention to bring Cousins back unless it was cheap and one year only then start picking guys long before this. Kwesi has zero vision which translates into zero at QB. I was hoping we would pick Levis. Of course he is nothing right now and more than likely will be a bum. Here is what NE selected while Brady was the starter. The best was Jimmy G out of the 10 selected. Can you even consider him a good long term starter? I wouldn't. But he was or is a winner unlike Cousins. Cassell was a backup who had a chance to start but failed. Yes they got some assets back but don't forget they used more assets for those returned. Net loss.
Rd 4 - Davey, Rd 6 - Kingsbury, Rd 7 - Cassell, Rd 3 - KOC, Rd 7 - Robinson, Rd 3 - Mallett, Rd 2 - Jimmy G, Rd 3 - Brissett, Rd 7 - Etling, Rd 4 - Stidham.
Once the 49ers stumbled on Purdy a bunch of teams picked later QBs like us with Hall. That's called monkey see monkey do. Purdy didn't come out of nowhere because he had a decent college career and was considered a 5th round pick. Kwesi with no forward vision didn't see him. In the end Purdy was perfect for what they run. What do we run on offense? I have no idea. Looks like a pass heavy attack to me.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 am
makila wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:43 pm Fwiw I do think a team should stab at qb every few seasons with a later pick. If one of those guys hits, it changes the entire complexion of the team. It's why I liked the Hall pick. Do that every few years. Might hit.

What is a high pick? Since Kwesi had no intention to bring Cousins back unless it was cheap and one year only then start picking guys long before this. Kwesi has zero vision which translates into zero at QB. I was hoping we would pick Levis. Of course he is nothing right now and more than likely will be a bum. Here is what NE selected while Brady was the starter. The best was Jimmy G out of the 10 selected. Can you even consider him a good long term starter? I wouldn't. But he was or is a winner unlike Cousins. Cassell was a backup who had a chance to start but failed. Yes they got some assets back but don't forget they used more assets for those returned. Net loss.
Rd 4 - Davey, Rd 6 - Kingsbury, Rd 7 - Cassell, Rd 3 - KOC, Rd 7 - Robinson, Rd 3 - Mallett, Rd 2 - Jimmy G, Rd 3 - Brissett, Rd 7 - Etling, Rd 4 - Stidham.
Once the 49ers stumbled on Purdy a bunch of teams picked later QBs like us with Hall. That's called monkey see monkey do. Purdy didn't come out of nowhere because he had a decent college career and was considered a 5th round pick. Kwesi with no forward vision didn't see him. In the end Purdy was perfect for what they run. What do we run on offense? I have no idea. Looks like a pass heavy attack to me.
High pick, I'd define as rounds 1 and 2 for sure, and maybe round 3.

Remember the pats also drafted Brady when they had Bledsoe playing at a high level. I'd say that his a pretty huge net positive. It's a philosophical approach. And when Brady went down they had players ready to backfill with. Cassell had a very good season starting for NE.

Multiple qbs they drafted while they had Brady on their roster, winning super bowls, have started games in the NFL for different teams in the last 2-3 seasons. How many of those exist for the Vikings? One? Browning?

My point is just that I'd throw a dart at the qb position every few seasons. If you hit with a fifth or something at qb you have a huge advantage in roster building.

We have a roster that's got key players in key positions that can help a rookie qb succeed on offense. You and I both agree we have to fix iol. And I also agree with your general theme of you win trenches outward.

Are you arguing that kam should, or shouldn't, have addressed the position? I honestly don't follow. If you think we should have drafted levis then it seems you are in the camp of draft someone?

And yes, the nfl is a copy cat league. Has been most of my lifetime (in my 40s).
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

makila wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:44 pm

Remember the pats also drafted Brady when they had Bledsoe playing at a high level. I'd say that his a pretty huge net positive. It's a philosophical approach. And when Brady went down they had players ready to backfill with. Cassell had a very good season starting for NE.

Multiple qbs they drafted while they had Brady on their roster, winning super bowls, have started games in the NFL for different teams in the last 2-3 seasons. How many of those exist for the Vikings? One? Browning?

My point is just that I'd throw a dart at the qb position every few seasons. If you hit with a fifth or something at qb you have a huge advantage in roster building.

We have a roster that's got key players in key positions that can help a rookie qb succeed on offense. You and I both agree we have to fix iol. And I also agree with your general theme of you win trenches outward.

Are you arguing that kam should, or shouldn't, have addressed the position? I honestly don't follow. If you think we should have drafted levis then it seems you are in the camp of draft someone?

And yes, the nfl is a copy cat league. Has been most of my lifetime (in my 40s).
Rounds 1 and 2 are quite high draft picks, yet we have people think we're not taking a swing at a QB if we don't trade up from 11 overall in a QB rich draft. You can't make this up. Back to Jefferson LOL. It would be nice to get him signed on a reasonable contract.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:44 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you. I was just showing the amount of picks they used. They hit on a couple. The year Mac Jones came out and he was mocked top 10 and even some expected at No 1 when he fell to us I wanted to pick him. Of course I was busted by some which is ok because I liked Cousins and the rip was "I thought you liked Cousins." I do feel Kam should have drafted someone before we arrived in the position we are in now. I also feel it's a good idea to pick a guy even if you have a good starter like that Pats did. The chance of hitting is very small. I'm falling into the camp of picking multiple guys. This draft is deep with many QBs take a couple swings. Not all of the top 6 will be a Cousins level player. At the most 2 will become that if they fall into a good team situation. Even 2 could be a stretch. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft. The top 2 have been there for several seasons. They have the best chance IMO.