Justin Jefferson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Justin Jefferson

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

Call me paranoid but I got this bad feeling we saw Justin Jefferson's last game as a Viking. Am I the only one? The Vikings had to have made an offer that made him the highest paid WR in the NFL. But, they haven't come to an agreement. A lot of folks are speculating that he's waiting to see how the QB situation plays out. I'm not so sure.

He's shown already that he's going to get his receptions regardless of the QB. The last four games of the season with Nick "Frickin" Mullins at QB (and Hall for two $hitty quarters) he hauled in 30 receptions for 476 yds. That production if sustained would actually have him over 2,000 yards on 127 receptions for an entire 17 game season.

If it's not about the QB & wanting to be on a true contender. I understand. The Vikings have only had one winning season since he arrived in 2020. The "how the hell did that even happen 2022 season" was pretty much a mirage. A whole lot of fortuitous breaks that unfolded at opportune times helped a .500 club achieve 13 wins.

At this point, I've kind of prepared myself to learn that Justin Jefferson will have been traded between now & the end of the 1st Round of the 2024 Draft. I only hope KAM gets proper draft compensation if that trade comes to fruition. That will ease the pain so long as they don't spend those picks on scrubs. It's been almost 20 years & I still get angry when I think about trading Moss for what ultimately amounted to Troy Williamson.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Justin Jefferson

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:46 am Call me paranoid but I got this bad feeling we saw Justin Jefferson's last game as a Viking. Am I the only one? The Vikings had to have made an offer that made him the highest paid WR in the NFL. But, they haven't come to an agreement. A lot of folks are speculating that he's waiting to see how the QB situation plays out. I'm not so sure.

He's shown already that he's going to get his receptions regardless of the QB. The last four games of the season with Nick "Frickin" Mullins at QB (and Hall for two $hitty quarters) he hauled in 30 receptions for 476 yds. That production if sustained would actually have him over 2,000 yards on 127 receptions for an entire 17 game season.

If it's not about the QB & wanting to be on a true contender. I understand. The Vikings have only had one winning season since he arrived in 2020. The "how the hell did that even happen 2022 season" was pretty much a mirage. A whole lot of fortuitous breaks that unfolded at opportune times helped a .500 club achieve 13 wins.

At this point, I've kind of prepared myself to learn that Justin Jefferson will have been traded between now & the end of the 1st Round of the 2024 Draft. I only hope KAM gets proper draft compensation if that trade comes to fruition. That will ease the pain so long as they don't spend those picks on scrubs. It's been almost 20 years & I still get angry when I think about trading Moss for what ultimately amounted to Troy Williamson.
I think we are better than you think we are. Sure lots of breaks led to the near miraculous 2022 season, but we made those breaks. 2023 would have been another very good one except Kirk chose that time to have his first injury in his career. If Darnold or our rookie QB is able to play we can have a winning season this year. How many more years is Jefferson under contract for? 2 right? Do you believe he would make such a pain in the a$$ of himself that he would never play again?
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Jefferson will be a free agent after 2024 if they don't agree on an extension.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Management has been very consistent and forceful in expressing their refusal to trade him. If he demands a trade that would get a the ball rolling. Until then I see no reason to think it's imminent. In my opinion they would be better off trading him for great compensation than paying him 34 million a year but they don't feel that way and I'm sure most fans disagree with me. I don't think you build a championship football team by having your highest paid player be a WR.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am Management has been very consistent and forceful in expressing their refusal to trade him. If he demands a trade that would get a the ball rolling. Until then I see no reason to think it's imminent. In my opinion they would be better off trading him for great compensation than paying him 34 million a year but they don't feel that way and I'm sure most fans disagree with me. I don't think you build a championship football team by having your highest paid player be a WR.
Or that could all be a smoke screen. But there haven’t really been any credible reports to back that up. I am with you 💯. I would trade him now while his value is as high as it will ever be. The team went on a fine run without him last year when he was out with the Hammy. Look at what the Packers are doing with a bunch of nobody’s at WR. Paying any WR break the bank money is a mistake. I can see the Wilfs taking a different stand on this one though. He’s face of the franchise. Money is driving this decision and it’s not the big contract he is gonna get.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am Management has been very consistent and forceful in expressing their refusal to trade him. If he demands a trade that would get a the ball rolling. Until then I see no reason to think it's imminent. In my opinion they would be better off trading him for great compensation than paying him 34 million a year but they don't feel that way and I'm sure most fans disagree with me. I don't think you build a championship football team by having your highest paid player be a WR.
I don't disagree 34 mill is ridiculous. The draft usually has some good WR in it. Plenty of teams like the Giants and Chargers are looking to draft a guy. Get one of those picks and select a stud rusher. You won't go anywhere without a stud rusher.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:46 am Call me paranoid but I got this bad feeling we saw Justin Jefferson's last game as a Viking. Am I the only one? The Vikings had to have made an offer that made him the highest paid WR in the NFL. But, they haven't come to an agreement. A lot of folks are speculating that he's waiting to see how the QB situation plays out. I'm not so sure.

That 2022 team had more than just breaks. They played well together. That Bills victory was a team effort and a great game to watch. That great comeback win was a heck of a game. Our D played great 2nd half and our O got on track. Team effort. Breaks always help. We started 2023 out by giving the opponents breaks with our dropped passes and fumbles. We couldn't win like that. Very few can. We are in a much different situation now. Anytime you take a QB out of the picture it's a huge move. You can wish that Darnold blossoms and is no longer a turnerover guy which started in college. Or you hope you pick a rookie that can play. Neither have favorable odds. They are unfavorable.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm ok either way at this point.

If he signs they've got the best receiver in football. If not, they get compensation and don't have to pay Jefferson $265,000 per catch freeing up cap.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Alaskan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:10 am
Or that could all be a smoke screen. But there haven’t really been any credible reports to back that up. I am with you 💯. I would trade him now while his value is as high as it will ever be. The team went on a fine run without him last year when he was out with the Hammy. Look at what the Packers are doing with a bunch of nobody’s at WR. Paying any WR break the bank money is a mistake. I can see the Wilfs taking a different stand on this one though. He’s face of the franchise. Money is driving this decision and it’s not the big contract he is gonna get.
KOC even said they will keep JJ informed during the QB search. I think that is just talk. You have people that build and people who play. That's an entirely different skill set. JJ liked Kirk and they waved bye bye. Your Packer example is great.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:41 am

That 2022 team had more than just breaks. They played well together. That Bills victory was a team effort and a great game to watch. That great comeback win was a heck of a game. Our D played great 2nd half and our O got on track. Team effort. Breaks always help. We started 2023 out by giving the opponents breaks with our dropped passes and fumbles. We couldn't win like that. Very few can. We are in a much different situation now. Anytime you take a QB out of the picture it's a huge move. You can wish that Darnold blossoms and is no longer a turnerover guy which started in college. Or you hope you pick a rookie that can play. Neither have favorable odds. They are unfavorable.
This isn't me trying to pick a fight or anything but, I maintain my stance on the 2022 Vikings. The Vikings have been a middle of the pack (.500) team with roughly the same level of talent each year since 2018. We had a nice 2019 season at 10-6. Got a playoff win over the Saints. Which was great. I'm happy anytime we knock Payton out of the playoffs. In 2020 & 2021 we were just below .500.

2022 was an anomaly. We couldn't beat a Daniel Jones led Giants team at home in the playoffs. We damn near lost to that same team a few weeks earlier at home. 2023 was pretty much a return to the norm. We were a .500 club when Kirk went down. We gutted out a few more wins the rest of the way.

If Kirk stays healthy, maybe the 2023 record is reversed. 10-7 instead of 7-10. But, even then we were most likely sacrificial lambs in the playoffs. Flores was no longer able to scheme our undermanned defense to help this team win in December. He did one hell of a job though overall. Hopefully, he gets the talent he needs to make the defense better. This team needs improvement in multiple areas before it can ever be a perennial contender.

We're likely a .500 team again in 2024. And if a few things go our way we might have a winning season & maybe even squeak out a playoff win. That would be nice. But, (speaking for myself) I just want one Championship season before I croak. Just one. I'm not greedy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:44 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:41 am
This isn't me trying to pick a fight or anything but, I maintain my stance on the 2022 Vikings. The Vikings have been a middle of the pack (.500) team with roughly the same level of talent each year since 2018. We had a nice 2019 season at 10-6. Got a playoff win over the Saints. Which was great. I'm happy anytime we knock Payton out of the playoffs. In 2020 & 2021 we were just below .500.

2022 was an anomaly. We couldn't beat a Daniel Jones led Giants team at home in the playoffs. We damn near lost to that same team a few weeks earlier at home. 2023 was pretty much a return to the norm. We were a .500 club when Kirk went down. We gutted out a few more wins the rest of the way.

If Kirk stays healthy, maybe the 2023 record is reversed. 10-7 instead of 7-10. But, even then we were most likely sacrificial lambs in the playoffs. Flores was no longer able to scheme our undermanned defense to help this team win in December. He did one hell of a job though overall. Hopefully, he gets the talent he needs to make the defense better. This team needs improvement in multiple areas before it can ever be a perennial contender.

We're likely a .500 team again in 2024. And if a few things go our way we might have a winning season & maybe even squeak out a playoff win. That would be nice. But, (speaking for myself) I just want one Championship season before I croak. Just one. I'm not greedy.
We haven't had a legitimate team since the one that got beat in 2009. That team had great talent. We went too long with Spielman and Zimmer. It took years for the firing. I just hope the Wilf's don't repeat the same mistake. If this team don't make progress up then fire the entire group and start over once the contracts are up. 4 years is plenty of time to build a team.
Last edited by CharVike on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:27 am Jefferson will be a free agent after 2024 if they don't agree on an extension.
Has he played 4 years already? Wow time flies. I thought he only played 3. Regardless he's under contract. Even without an extension he's set to make 3 times as much this year as his first 4 seasons combined. 5th year options aren't cheap. I believe he will play for us again.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:46 am I'm ok either way at this point.

If he signs they've got the best receiver in football. If not, they get compensation and don't have to pay Jefferson $265,000 per catch freeing up cap.
I love the $265,000 per catch breakdown. Unreal isn't it.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:18 pm
Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:27 am Jefferson will be a free agent after 2024 if they don't agree on an extension.
Has he played 4 years already? Wow time flies. I thought he only played 3. Regardless he's under contract. Even without an extension he's set to make 3 times as much this year as his first 4 seasons combined. 5th year options aren't cheap. I believe he will play for us again.
He'll play this year & hit free agency next year. I suspect we'd try to trade him for some good draft picks instead of have him hit free agency. I saw the Bills traded Stefon Diggs & just had deja vu feeling. Jefferson doesn't seem like a malcontent. He's appears to be a great kid. I would never compare him to Diggs personality-wise.

But, seeing Buffalo trade Diggs got me to thinking. I try not to do that as I'm not a critical thinker like Aaron Rodgers. But, anyhow...I can't imagine Buffalo viewing themselves as non-contenders & maybe doing a soft reset. Why let their top two WRs go? Do they have something in the works? Tee Higgins? It's a deep WR class but do you really want to put your eggs in the rookie WR basket?

Could the Bills swing another deal for a Vikings WR? I know KAM has said the standard things any GM would say about the Jefferson extension situation. "We want to keep Jefferson in Minnesota." "We're not interested in trading Justin Jefferson". "Blah, blah blah". Well, they said all those nice things about wanting Kirk to remain a Viking. They said they wanted Cousins back but they really didn't. Not at his asking price anyhow. They probably made a respectable offer that they knew he would turn down.

As for Jefferson...what's the sticking point. I'd love for Jefferson to stay. But, I agree with a lot of posters in this thread. WRs are not the centerpiece of an NFL team. When was the primary reason an NFL team won a championship because they had the best & highest paid WR? Never. Get multiple picks from a team now if an agreement can't be reached. Preferably an AFC team.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:02 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:18 pm
He'll play this year & hit free agency next year. I suspect we'd try to trade him for some good draft picks instead of have him hit free agency. I saw the Bills traded Stefon Diggs & just had deja vu feeling. Jefferson doesn't seem like a malcontent. He's appears to be a great kid. I would never compare him to Diggs personality-wise.

But, seeing Buffalo trade Diggs got me to thinking. I try not to do that as I'm not a critical thinker like Aaron Rodgers. But, anyhow...I can't imagine Buffalo viewing themselves as non-contenders & maybe doing a soft reset. Why let their top two WRs go? Do they have something in the works? Tee Higgins? It's a deep WR class but do you really want to put your eggs in the rookie WR basket?

Could the Bills swing another deal for a Vikings WR? I know KAM has said the standard things any GM would say about the Jefferson extension situation. "We want to keep Jefferson in Minnesota." "We're not interested in trading Justin Jefferson". "Blah, blah blah". Well, they said all those nice things about wanting Kirk to remain a Viking. They said they wanted Cousins back but they really didn't. Not at his asking price anyhow. They probably made a respectable offer that they knew he would turn down.

As for Jefferson...what's the sticking point. I'd love for Jefferson to stay. But, I agree with a lot of posters in this thread. WRs are not the centerpiece of an NFL team. When was the primary reason an NFL team won a championship because they had the best & highest paid WR? Never. Get multiple picks from a team now if an agreement can't be reached. Preferably an AFC team.
This is a change. Didn't you start out saying Jefferson would never play for us again? I'd probably be OK with a Jefferson for Josh Allen trade. What would be fun is trading Jefferson to the Bengals for Higgins and 3 FRPs. Last time I can think of a WR being the main reason a team won Super Bowls was Jerry Rice. He was more important than Montana.