2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:27 pm It's almost like they assumed they could just keep adding on short term to keep Cousins around while kicking the replacement can down the road, only Cousins apparently no longer was interested in the shorter term deals he seemed to prefer when he was a younger man with more road in front of him. I don't know if that caught the guys at the wheel by surprise or what, but the situation they find themselves in right now is not one that lends itself to thoughtful deliberation. It's now more forced and much more urgent and those two factors tend to lead to poor decision-making.

I don't know that people who display such short-sighted thinking deserve our deference to their evaluation skills even if one of them was a former pro QB.
I don't get this mantra. According to "sources", we tried and failed to get to a point to draft Justin Fields and Anthony Richardson in the last few years. Also reports we called to see if Bears would trade us Fields. I'd also assume there were several unpublished/unknown to the public efforts to remedy the QB situation over the past several seasons.

I think it's pretty disingenuous to claim they did "nothing to address". We as fans likely don't know 1/10th of the goings on "to address the QB situation".

If you want to base everything on a "black or white, we either have a QB or we don't", well, at the moment we don't. Doesn't mean we won't, and doesn't mean nobody tried.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:32 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:27 pm It's almost like they assumed they could just keep adding on short term to keep Cousins around while kicking the replacement can down the road, only Cousins apparently no longer was interested in the shorter term deals he seemed to prefer when he was a younger man with more road in front of him. I don't know if that caught the guys at the wheel by surprise or what, but the situation they find themselves in right now is not one that lends itself to thoughtful deliberation. It's now more forced and much more urgent and those two factors tend to lead to poor decision-making.

I don't know that people who display such short-sighted thinking deserve our deference to their evaluation skills even if one of them was a former pro QB.
I don't get this mantra. According to "sources", we tried and failed to get to a point to draft Justin Fields and Anthony Richardson in the last few years. Also reports we called to see if Bears would trade us Fields. I'd also assume there were several unpublished/unknown to the public efforts to remedy the QB situation over the past several seasons.

I think it's pretty disingenuous to claim they did "nothing to address". We as fans likely don't know 1/10th of the goings on "to address the QB situation".

If you want to base everything on a "black or white, we either have a QB or we don't", well, at the moment we don't. Doesn't mean we won't, and doesn't mean nobody tried.
OK, so your main criticism of my post is that just because nothing was done at the QB position over the last few years to fill in behind Cousins doesn't mean KAM and KOC didn't try to do something?

I'll grant you I don't know what was or wasn't done to rectify that situation, but can we at least both agree that nothing beyond extending Cousins another 2 years was in fact done?

This reminds me of that scene in the movie Ghostbusters where the character played by Dan Akroyd complains about being kicked out of academia and the main difference being that in the private sector, people expect results.

KAM only inked Cousins for the 2 extra years. He knew there was a cliff looming there and maybe he assumed he could just keep extending him on more short-term deals, but that proved to be an invalid assumption and now KAM has to scramble. Generally, scrambling in business is a sign of mismanagement, but YMMV.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Here is Simms talking about JJM and Maye. One thing I like what he said about Maye is he's a gunslinger. Nothing wrong with that. Farve was a gunslinger also and gave us our last best chance. You need an arm to be gunslinger unlike our current wannbe Mullens who throws a dead duck. Simms also said it's hard for him to put JJM inside the top 20. IMO the biggest upside with both is there age. 21 YO players who have had 2 years of success. That's incredible. These 5 or 6 year players don't do much for me. OK so you've played forever based on college and it finally worked? One year is huge in that age group.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 am

OK, so your main criticism of my post is that just because nothing was done at the QB position over the last few years to fill in behind Cousins doesn't mean KAM and KOC didn't try to do something?

I'll grant you I don't know what was or wasn't done to rectify that situation, but can we at least both agree that nothing beyond extending Cousins another 2 years was in fact done?

This reminds me of that scene in the movie Ghostbusters where the character played by Dan Akroyd complains about being kicked out of academia and the main difference being that in the private sector, people expect results.

KAM only inked Cousins for the 2 extra years. He knew there was a cliff looming there and maybe he assumed he could just keep extending him on more short-term deals, but that proved to be an invalid assumption and now KAM has to scramble. Generally, scrambling in business is a sign of mismanagement, but YMMV.
You both wrote some interesting things. But here we sit with nothing at QB. That is an absolute joke when we had a good QB on the roster. Those type of players at that position aren't cheap. Now it's a scramble which will lead to a major reach. Looking ahead the possibility of getting a guy to come in year 1 and being a good starter is basically zero. The 1st couple years will be write offs. You can't run a team much worse than that. For players that want to win it all this is one of the worst teams to be on. How does that fit in with this culture BS KOC throws around? What's he say? Welcome to loserville. Lay back and enjoy your stay.
Last edited by CharVike on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Love this post. These are some great points ! I am going to respond to your post, but with the post from VL in mind as well. So please don’t take offense, I 💯 agree with what you wrote;

To add to this post KAM has put together a team and environment that is perfect for a rookie to thrive in. Bookend tackles. 2 all pro caliber WR’s, all pro level TE and a RB who has been a Thorne in the Vikings side for years. A defensive coach who has been at the trend level most of his Career and is looked upon by many in the League as one of the best DC’s out there who is getting to hand pick the building of his Defense. The offense Coaching staff is nearly as good as it can be for a rookie QB. The whole environment is nearly as good as it can get. So to say he hasn’t been planning for the future is just complete nonsense and narrow minded thinking. It gets tiresome to read post after post. It’s time to open up your mind to a bigger picture. And there is more. Sam Darnold. He was good enough for Shanahan in San Fran last year. Former #3 overall. He has been through some things so far in his Career that a rookie could benefit from. He Played for some real crappy teams and coordinators prior to getting to San Fran. They got him on a short term deal for little money. KAM came into a near total rebuild on defense with aging talent at every level and literal CAP Hell. He has the CAP heading in the right direction and is working to rebuild a defense that was Aged out on bloated contracts. So maybe he didn’t address the QB position because he didn’t get a guy he felt could fit what they wanted to do and he did the next best thing. Now it’s time to get the guy they want. And they are gonna give up what they have to to do it because they are in a decent spot to do that with the current roster and the Cap Space they will have going forward. They are Going to have the money to sign top teir CB’s, DT, OG etc… wherever they see a need they will be able to address it with proven NFL talent, not 1st and 2nd round pics who have a busy rate at around 70-80%. It might be time to open your mind. KAM is far from stupid and I can guarantee he looked further in the future than you are looking in far more detail. He has a seat at the table, we don’t. It’s easy to armchair QB it all and second guess everything. But until he fails he’s our guy like it or not. I for one think he has done ok thus far and it is really to early to tell how it will play out.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

Peter Schrager's 1st round mock draft posted this morning. I'd be pleased with this one.

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager ... pick-cb-qb
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm Peter Schrager's 1st round mock draft posted this morning. I'd be pleased with this one.

I hate Arnold at 11, but if you flipped it with us taking Nix at 11 and Arnold at 23 then it's great. I just believe if we pass on Nix at 11 he will be gone at 12.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am So to say he hasn’t been planning for the future is just complete nonsense and narrow minded thinking. It gets tiresome to read post after post. It’s time to open up your mind to a bigger picture.
Tell me how he's planned for the future at QB to this point?

You dance on the line of disrespectful posts. I made a good faith effort to try to bury the hatchet with you earlier so please return that effort towards me.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am And there is more. Sam Darnold. He was good enough for Shanahan in San Fran last year. Former #3 overall. He has been through some things so far in his Career that a rookie could benefit from. He Played for some real crappy teams and coordinators prior to getting to San Fran. They got him on a short term deal for little money.
The presence of Sam Darnold on the team as the de-facto starting QB on a one-year deal is NOT evidence of planning for the future. In fact his presence is evidence of the opposite.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am So maybe he didn’t address the QB position because he didn’t get a guy he felt could fit what they wanted to do and he did the next best thing.
So because he didn't get a guy he wanted before he's now forced to get a guy he wants? That doesn't strike me as planning. That strikes me as a failure to plan.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am They are Going to have the money to sign top teir CB’s, DT, OG etc… wherever they see a need they will be able to address it with proven NFL talent, not 1st and 2nd round pics who have a busy rate at around 70-80%.
They tried to do that at QB though, only Cousins didn't bite this last time.

In fact, if rumors and conjecture are to be taken seriously, Cousins offered them an extension of his last contract prior to the end of last season that KAM turned down. How should I take that into my estimation of KAM's skill at building the team, much less making sure the team had a plan at QB?
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am It might be time to open your mind. KAM is far from stupid and I can guarantee he looked further in the future than you are looking in far more detail.
Who said KAM is stupid? He strikes me more as overconfident. I think he felt he was in the driver's seat with Cousins and Cousins would take another short term extension after his injury. That was the future KAM looked into.

Besides, your blind faith in KAM's skills is belied by the current situation he finds himself in. Heck, it was belied the remainder of last season as soon as Cousins went down. That great team that has been put in place all around whatever guy they throw in at QB didn't do so well after Cousins went out, did it? That was all KAM's GM skill on display there for all to see.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am He has a seat at the table, we don’t. It’s easy to armchair QB it all and second guess everything. But until he fails he’s our guy like it or not. I for one think he has done ok thus far and it is really to early to tell how it will play out.
You can have your opinion about KAM's performance and that is fine. Because you have that opinion and I don't share it I'm not going to accuse you of spouting oh, how did you put it, "complete nonsense" and "narrow-minded thinking", or that you need to "open your mind". You can have your opinion of the inner workings of KAM's mind, his ability to plan, etc. I'll just stick to the facts of the current situation the Vikings find themselves in at the QB position, thanks, and those facts can't be argued.

Just tell me one thing - will you really be OK with any moves KAM makes in the draft at the QB position this year? Just because KAM must know what he's doing? Let's say KAM trades both 1st rounders this year and 2 future 1st rounders to move up to 4 to grab Drake Maye. I assume you'd be happy with that? Going further, at what point would you have some pause about a move like that? What if KAM trades every pick in the upcoming draft plus the next 2 year's of 1st rounders to move up to 2 to get Maye? Would that be OK? How far does your blind trust in KAM go?

Conversely, what if KAM doesn't pick a QB at all this year? What if he trades back out of 11 and takes other positions and the team goes into this season with just Darnold on a one-year deal? You still OK with KAM in that scenario?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:58 pm
Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm Peter Schrager's 1st round mock draft posted this morning. I'd be pleased with this one.

I hate Arnold at 11, but if you flipped it with us taking Nix at 11 and Arnold at 23 then it's great. I just believe if we pass on Nix at 11 he will be gone at 12.
I think a mock like this just underscores that it can pay to keep an open mind in the draft. Just because the Vikings are desperate for a QB doesn't mean every team is going to overvalue that position in the 1st round.

I think there is a good chance 5 QBs could go in the top 10 this year. That is almost unprecedented. But it also means that 5 players at other positions that probably merited top 10 selections will be pushed into the 11-20 range, and other than maybe the Broncos, nobody drafting in that range is in dire need of a rookie QB. That increases the odds of the QBs who fall out of the top 10 to fall significantly farther down the board and increases the relative value of the 11th pick than if there wasn't a QB feeding frenzy in the first ten picks.. In effect, the mock you linked to demonstrates that effect.

I believe KAM will try to trade up. I think there is a very good chance he's convinced himself one of these QB prospects is the next great NFL QB and he will try to get him, but he either might not be able to (he is out-bid by another team) or the guy he has his heart set on is taken before he can get him. If that happens I expect he'll hold at 11, and that might be a blessing in disguise. Maybe he trades back to between 15-20 and picks up an extra pick in the late-3-to-early-4 range. That should still give him a very good chance of taking a QB prospect he likes at a spot where the value is a better match and he'll have #23 as well.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:08 pm
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am So to say he hasn’t been planning for the future is just complete nonsense and narrow minded thinking. It gets tiresome to read post after post. It’s time to open up your mind to a bigger picture.
Tell me how he's planned for the future at QB to this point?

You dance on the line of disrespectful posts. I made a good faith effort to try to bury the hatchet with you earlier so please return that effort towards me.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am And there is more. Sam Darnold. He was good enough for Shanahan in San Fran last year. Former #3 overall. He has been through some things so far in his Career that a rookie could benefit from. He Played for some real crappy teams and coordinators prior to getting to San Fran. They got him on a short term deal for little money.
The presence of Sam Darnold on the team as the de-facto starting QB on a one-year deal is NOT evidence of planning for the future. In fact his presence is evidence of the opposite.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am So maybe he didn’t address the QB position because he didn’t get a guy he felt could fit what they wanted to do and he did the next best thing.
So because he didn't get a guy he wanted before he's now forced to get a guy he wants? That doesn't strike me as planning. That strikes me as a failure to plan.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am They are Going to have the money to sign top teir CB’s, DT, OG etc… wherever they see a need they will be able to address it with proven NFL talent, not 1st and 2nd round pics who have a busy rate at around 70-80%.
They tried to do that at QB though, only Cousins didn't bite this last time.

In fact, if rumors and conjecture are to be taken seriously, Cousins offered them an extension of his last contract prior to the end of last season that KAM turned down. How should I take that into my estimation of KAM's skill at building the team, much less making sure the team had a plan at QB?
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am It might be time to open your mind. KAM is far from stupid and I can guarantee he looked further in the future than you are looking in far more detail.
Who said KAM is stupid? He strikes me more as overconfident. I think he felt he was in the driver's seat with Cousins and Cousins would take another short term extension after his injury. That was the future KAM looked into.

Besides, your blind faith in KAM's skills is belied by the current situation he finds himself in. Heck, it was belied the remainder of last season as soon as Cousins went down. That great team that has been put in place all around whatever guy they throw in at QB didn't do so well after Cousins went out, did it? That was all KAM's GM skill on display there for all to see.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am He has a seat at the table, we don’t. It’s easy to armchair QB it all and second guess everything. But until he fails he’s our guy like it or not. I for one think he has done ok thus far and it is really to early to tell how it will play out.
You can have your opinion about KAM's performance and that is fine. Because you have that opinion and I don't share it I'm not going to accuse you of spouting oh, how did you put it, "complete nonsense" and "narrow-minded thinking", or that you need to "open your mind". You can have your opinion of the inner workings of KAM's mind, his ability to plan, etc. I'll just stick to the facts of the current situation the Vikings find themselves in at the QB position, thanks, and those facts can't be argued.

Just tell me one thing - will you really be OK with any moves KAM makes in the draft at the QB position this year? Just because KAM must know what he's doing? Let's say KAM trades both 1st rounders this year and 2 future 1st rounders to move up to 4 to grab Drake Maye. I assume you'd be happy with that? Going further, at what point would you have some pause about a move like that? What if KAM trades every pick in the upcoming draft plus the next 2 year's of 1st rounders to move up to 2 to get Maye? Would that be OK? How far does your blind trust in KAM go?

Conversely, what if KAM doesn't pick a QB at all this year? What if he trades back out of 11 and takes other positions and the team goes into this season with just Darnold on a one-year deal? You still OK with KAM in that scenario?
Not intending on disrespecting you. I realize it may come off that way. I was more trying to get you take a look from a different perspective. From reading the questions you asked, I don’t think it worked. I am not sure how I can explain or lay it out any better than I did in the last post. Most of the answers to your questions are in the prior post if you look for them. But you’re not looking for them. You seem to be busy looking to be offended

I am OK with WHATEVER KAM and Staff decide to do. If it means trading our two first and the next two years first, I am on board. WHATEVER means exactly that. I don’t really have a choice, call it blind following or whatever you want. I don’t have a seat at the table.

As far as address the QB position goes, that is exactly what the point was of my post. You seemed to have missed that point. Just because he didn’t directly address in the two prior years, he indirectly addressed it by building a strong young QB environment so when the time came that Cousins was no longer a viable option for them they would be better prepared for the future with a young signal caller. By “viable” I mean he wasn’t willing to work within Parameters the organization had set as it pertained to a contract, not terms Cousins set. Overconfident he was not, prepared he was.

I can’t go back and forth with you repeating the same things over and over. If I am offending you, I apologize. I have been reading posts on here for a long time and have read many hundreds of your post, most of the time i can understand your perspective and give it the benefit of the doubt even if I don’t agree. This time we are not on the same wavelength. And it doesn’t appear we will get there. In fact I am done reading and responding to your post on this topic. It pointless back and forth.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:58 pm
I think a mock like this just underscores that it can pay to keep an open mind in the draft. Just because the Vikings are desperate for a QB doesn't mean every team is going to overvalue that position in the 1st round.

I think there is a good chance 5 QBs could go in the top 10 this year. That is almost unprecedented. But it also means that 5 players at other positions that probably merited top 10 selections will be pushed into the 11-20 range, and other than maybe the Broncos, nobody drafting in that range is in dire need of a rookie QB. That increases the odds of the QBs who fall out of the top 10 to fall significantly farther down the board and increases the relative value of the 11th pick than if there wasn't a QB feeding frenzy in the first ten picks.. In effect, the mock you linked to demonstrates that effect.

I believe KAM will try to trade up. I think there is a very good chance he's convinced himself one of these QB prospects is the next great NFL QB and he will try to get him, but he either might not be able to (he is out-bid by another team) or the guy he has his heart set on is taken before he can get him. If that happens I expect he'll hold at 11, and that might be a blessing in disguise. Maybe he trades back to between 15-20 and picks up an extra pick in the late-3-to-early-4 range. That should still give him a very good chance of taking a QB prospect he likes at a spot where the value is a better match and he'll have #23 as well.
I don't like Arnold as much as several other players available at 11. I'm guessing he wouldn't even be BPA at 23. I'm confident Nix and Penix won't be available at 23. It's possible I just don't think it will happen. So I stand by my Nix or Penix or McCarthy or Maye at 11 and BPA position of need at 23.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Let's say all QBs go before us for whatever reasons. Marvin gone too. At that point, who would you want to slide to us?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm

I don't like Arnold as much as several other players available at 11. I'm guessing he wouldn't even be BPA at 23. I'm confident Nix and Penix won't be available at 23. It's possible I just don't think it will happen. So I stand by my Nix or Penix or McCarthy or Maye at 11 and BPA position of need at 23.
I forget your personnel board. I assume Nix. If the other 3 are there at 23 skip and pick BPA? Might as well go with Penix at 23 and then we get the dual Nix deal. If Penix is picked I picture 1st day of camp and a limp off the field. Then KOC will say it's a little tweak. I heard that before. That means 2 seasons gone.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:27 am Let's say all QBs go before us for whatever reasons. Marvin gone too. At that point, who would you want to slide to us?
I'd prefer one of the edge rushers but I think Nabers wouldn't be bad either. He's a home run hitter and we've lacked a true vertical threat for a long time. He should keep the safeties back which helps the ground game and intermediate passing. Go with the throw it as far as you can dog and I'll go get it. Darnold or whoever except Mullens can handle that. Turner needs to be the pick. We let Hunter ride out of town and we signed a few FA but one has missed time with injuries which is why he was a FA and I'm sure there are issues with the other. That's why they are FA.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm Not intending on disrespecting you. I realize it may come off that way.
Take responsibility for what you wrote. Flip the words back on yourself as if I or someone else had written the same in response to you. You honestly wouldn't be offended?
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm I was more trying to get you take a look from a different perspective.
You did a crappy job if that was your true intent. Do better.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm You seem to be busy looking to be offended
While you're busy offending and pretending to be clueless about it.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm As far as address the QB position goes, that is exactly what the point was of my post. You seemed to have missed that point. Just because he didn’t directly address in the two prior years, he indirectly addressed it by building a strong young QB environment so when the time came that Cousins was no longer a viable option for them they would be better prepared for the future with a young signal caller. By “viable” I mean he wasn’t willing to work within Parameters the organization had set as it pertained to a contract, not terms Cousins set. Overconfident he was not, prepared he was.
I have no idea what you're talking about here. He tried to extend Cousins this offseason and failed and now the team has to scramble.
Alaskan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm I can’t go back and forth with you repeating the same things over and over. If I am offending you, I apologize.
I'll accept your apology but I'm going to foe you because you're either incapable of understanding when you're being offensive or you do and really don't care. My money is on the latter being the case but it's irrelevant.