2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:37 am
Alaskan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:47 pm

Baseless nonsense. 1 career playoff win in 5 tries. All pro level players at all skill positions and both tackle positions and still can’t get it done. For the kind of money he is demanding he needs to elevate the entire offense with lesser talent because they can’t afford to pay them all when he is eating up more cap than he is worth. He cannot lead, people don’t follow him. He does not have that “it” factor. I have never disliked a Viking as much as I have Kirk Cousins. I thought very little of him in Washington and when the Vikings signed him I lost interest in them. I knew they would go nowhere with him. And they didn’t.
You must’ve thoroughly enjoyed tuning in to watch the team deteriorate after Cousins went out last year. Teams with good management protect the present WHILE building the future. Kwesi was/is incapable of doing that.
It was enjoyable. That Raider game when this great offensive core couldn't even score. JJ did nothing and he's considered the best. That was one of the worst offensive performances I have ever seen. We did better against the 85 Bears and they were dominate. Addison was on his way to rookie of the year and then boom just an average guy maybe. That Bear night game. Ah forget it. Kwesi has shown zero so far. His high lite from draft 1 was Ingram. I have never seen a G play that bad. Looked like it was the 1st time he ever played the position. Worse part he's still here starting. That's a bad GM. Now it will be some tier 2 or 3 QB pick. Good luck with that. Bring Sloter back. He's the same. I know we won't go nowhere. How is that for a football genius call? If we had a great offensive core we would have a chance regardless of QB. Our core isn't close to great. Nothing at G and C will kill us again. Our RT isn't the same player anymore. Our great GM brings in a 29 YO RB for 7 mill who is winding it down. Brings in a stiff QB for 10 million. Still paying a great FA Davenport for last year. That is bad cap management. We haven't drafted well for a long time. That's killing us. That will kill any team.
Last edited by CharVike on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:37 am

Baseless nonsense. 1 career playoff win in 5 tries. All pro level players at all skill positions and both tackle positions and still can’t get it done. For the kind of money he is demanding he needs to elevate the entire offense with lesser talent because they can’t afford to pay them all when he is eating up more cap than he is worth. He cannot lead, people don’t follow him. He does not have that “it” factor. I have never disliked a Viking as much as I have Kirk Cousins. I thought very little of him in Washington and when the Vikings signed him I lost interest in them. I knew they would go nowhere with him. And they didn’t.
You must’ve thoroughly enjoyed tuning in to watch the team deteriorate after Cousins went out last year. Teams with good management protect the present WHILE building the future. Kwesi was/is incapable of doing that.
Like they were going anywhere with him anyway. Kwesi was left a heap of s### when he came aboard. I know you don’t see it so we will just leave it at that.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Our 2024 NFL Draft thread is turning into another Cousins love hate fest. He's gone. What else does this team need besides a QB? I prefer to look at both sides of the LOS play. If you can dominate the point of attack then you can control a game. Anybody see possible later round prospects that can develop into big time players at the pro level. I'm talking LOS players.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:06 pm

You don't like Cousins so you ignore the facts of how good he has been Top 5 to 10 QB over his tenure here. Stats prove it. Wins/Losses are not a QB stat. They're a team stat. Cousins did have that IT factor. He lead. People followed him. Unfortunately the year we could have gone all the way Cousins got injured. You will disagree with everything I say and I will disagree with everything you say, but I have the facts/stats on my side.
You are right about one thing. We will never agree on the Cousins subject. Facts, I think you are the one ignoring facts. Stats make for a good Fantasy. But that’s not reality. Reality involves Money and value for your dollar. Your love for Cousins and his faith Clouds your judgment of him as a football player. He is an average qb demanding top teir money and he needs top teir supporting cast to be successful. Because of that There isn’t enough money to go around to build a top teir team. So the team doesn’t win and cousins gets the blame. And he should. If he was as good as you say he is he could elevate and offense with lesser talent and lower paid pass catchers and skill players and they could afford to build up the rest of the team. But he isn’t, and he won’t. He has proven that and proven the point I am making through his career. Because he never wins when it counts. That’s a Fact!
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am Our 2024 NFL Draft thread is turning into another Cousins love hate fest. He's gone.
I dont agree with Char much. This is a case I do.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

makila wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:30 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am Our 2024 NFL Draft thread is turning into another Cousins love hate fest. He's gone.
I dont agree with Char much. This is a case I do.
Good point, I apologize. My fault. Only the draft from here on out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am Our 2024 NFL Draft thread is turning into another Cousins love hate fest. He's gone. What else does this team need besides a QB? I prefer to look at both sides of the LOS play. If you can dominate the point of attack then you can control a game. Anybody see possible later round prospects that can develop into big time players at the pro level. I'm talking LOS players.
If KAM keeps #23 that might be a great place to snag the center Powers-Johnson who I think would be an immediate upgrade over Bradbury or even could slide over to guard.

This seems like a deep draft at OG. Layden Robinson of Texas, Christian Haynes of UConn, and Zak Zinter of Michigan all look like quality prospects who should be available between rounds 4-6.

On the interior of the DL, I really like Michael Hall of Ohio. Tons of talent that comes with tons of character concerns. He will either be a home run or a total swing-and-a-miss for whatever team drafts him, but he's likely to be available in those middle rounds. Jordan Jefferson of LSU is a player I really like that is going to slide under the radar of a lot of teams but would absolutely thrive under a DC like Flores.

There are gems in those later rounds that play line positions. Hopefully KAM can find those guys, because he needs to have a solid draft front-to-back.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

Draft...Cousins Love...Cousins hate. It's just an ordinary day in the life of a Vikings' fan.

**Edit, I removed the code you had in there. Iframes and such won't work in a post.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:46 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am Our 2024 NFL Draft thread is turning into another Cousins love hate fest. He's gone. What else does this team need besides a QB? I prefer to look at both sides of the LOS play. If you can dominate the point of attack then you can control a game. Anybody see possible later round prospects that can develop into big time players at the pro level. I'm talking LOS players.
If KAM keeps #23 that might be a great place to snag the center Powers-Johnson who I think would be an immediate upgrade over Bradbury or even could slide over to guard.

This seems like a deep draft at OG. Layden Robinson of Texas, Christian Haynes of UConn, and Zak Zinter of Michigan all look like quality prospects who should be available between rounds 4-6.

On the interior of the DL, I really like Michael Hall of Ohio. Tons of talent that comes with tons of character concerns. He will either be a home run or a total swing-and-a-miss for whatever team drafts him, but he's likely to be available in those middle rounds. Jordan Jefferson of LSU is a player I really like that is going to slide under the radar of a lot of teams but would absolutely thrive under a DC like Flores.

There are gems in those later rounds that play line positions. Hopefully KAM can find those guys, because he needs to have a solid draft front-to-back.
What I highlighted is what's needed to make a draft successful. Michael Hall. I saw him to. Sometimes you have to take a wild swing at a prospect. Flores could be the coach for him. As a coach you need to understand the guy first. ZZ has been mentioned by others. From what I read he suffered a bad injury which could push him down. I like Dominick Puni. Jordan Jefferson could be a sleeper. He's a big kid. He could fill a spot role his 1st year. Those other Gs you mentioned are nice prospects. They need to take a couple swings at IOL players. We have no depth and I'm not overly impressed with our one hold over starter at G. Competition makes players better. From 23 it's not a big drop to the bottom of Rd 1. That is one time I would be in favor of trading down for a pick. Thanks for getting this back on track and providing input for the LOS. We need to hit both sides with some picks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Alaskan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:17 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:06 pm
You don't like Cousins so you ignore the facts of how good he has been Top 5 to 10 QB over his tenure here. Stats prove it. Wins/Losses are not a QB stat. They're a team stat. Cousins did have that IT factor. He lead. People followed him. Unfortunately the year we could have gone all the way Cousins got injured. You will disagree with everything I say and I will disagree with everything you say, but I have the facts/stats on my side.
You are right about one thing. We will never agree on the Cousins subject. Facts, I think you are the one ignoring facts. Stats make for a good Fantasy. But that’s not reality. Reality involves Money and value for your dollar. Your love for Cousins and his faith Clouds your judgment of him as a football player. He is an average qb demanding top teir money and he needs top teir supporting cast to be successful. Because of that There isn’t enough money to go around to build a top teir team. So the team doesn’t win and cousins gets the blame. And he should. If he was as good as you say he is he could elevate and offense with lesser talent and lower paid pass catchers and skill players and they could afford to build up the rest of the team. But he isn’t, and he won’t. He has proven that and proven the point I am making through his career. Because he never wins when it counts. That’s a Fact!
Cousins before his injury last year was playing at an MVP level. Not what I say, what many national broadcasters say. We were only 4-4 at the time Kirk got injured, but he had played exceptionally well and our losses were due to other factors. Stats are facts. They all back me up. You've got opinion on your side.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

No I don't. That's why we need both of our first round picks. I want a QB at 11, but I'd rather use both picks on other positions than to trade both away for one QB.
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I'm gonna chime in here with my two cents. I don't know the X's and O's of football that most of you do. So I'm not gonna get into which players I like/don't like because I honestly have no idea. But I don't really understand the "don't trade up" philosophy some of you have. I just want the Vikes to get 'their guy'. That may mean we have to trade up. Fine, do it. Or that may mean we can stay at 11 and 23 and get Penix. Even better, do it. All I know is this franchise has never drafted a QB in the top 10 and look how that's panned out. And this is the first time in a long time we have the draft capital to go up and get their guy if need be. In my humble opinion getting a true, game changing QB is paramount and everything else comes secondary. So do whatever it takes (within reason of course) and get him. Sure, you can win some games without one. But we'll be stuck in the same purgatory we've been in forever. And sure, whatever QB we get may be a bust. But we HAVE to at least try!!! My biggest fear in this draft is KAM misses out on whoever KOC deems 'the guy' because he's playing moneyball. I'd rather them swing and miss then not swing at all.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Dakotavike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:47 pm But I don't really understand the "don't trade up" philosophy some of you have. I just want the Vikes to get 'their guy'. That may mean we have to trade up.
I haven't see anyone say the Vikings shouldn't trade up if it made the most sense to trade up.

I have seen people question whether such a move makes sense given what is known about the rookie QBs in this year's draft.
Dakotavike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:47 pm All I know is this franchise has never drafted a QB in the top 10 and look how that's panned out. And this is the first time in a long time we have the draft capital to go up and get their guy if need be.
Not sure I agree with you on that. Look at the QBs taken in the top 10 in the last 5 years (or heck, the last 10) and tell me who among that group has turned into a game-changing QB. Mahomes wasn't taken in the top 10. Neither was Rodgers. In fact, I think the list of game-changing QBs taken outside of the top 10 in the last 10 years of drafts is much longer than the list of game-changing QBs taken inside the top 10. All of that data over all of that time suggests two things to me - it is very hard to project success for pro QBs based on what is known of them coming out of college even when they have spent a long time in college and success in the pros requires the right setup even for otherwise talented players. That means where the team that takes a given QB is when it takes him and what is expected out of the player and when is probably a bigger factor in that player's ultimate success as anything else.
Dakotavike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:47 pm And sure, whatever QB we get may be a bust. But we HAVE to at least try!!! My biggest fear in this draft is KAM misses out on whoever KOC deems 'the guy' because he's playing moneyball. I'd rather them swing and miss then not swing at all.
But you're assuming that just because a GM drafts a QB in the top 10 there is necessarily an increased chance of the guy they take becoming that game-changing QB. The facts and historical data suggest that is not an accurate assumption.

The REAL problem here is that the Vikings are in a desperate situation, and they are in that situation because they put all their chips on the bet that Cousins would remain their QB despite not extending him to the sort of deal that ensured he would be while at the same time failing to buy any insurance policy at the QB position in an earlier draft when Cousins was under contract. So Cousins bolted for greener (much greener, as in 4 years guaranteed at a rich rate to boot) pastures and left KAM and KOC hanging with the bitter aftertaste of their Cousins-less last season still fresh in their mouths and in the collective experiences of Vikings fans. That was, to put it mildly, a total sh1tshow after Cousins went down.

So now they are desperate. Sitting painfully close to the magic threshold of a top 10 pick as they hold the 11th choice and sit longingly staring not at the cream of the QB crop since it would take far more than they have to offer to have a chance at that guy. They can't get the 2nd best guy either for much the same reason. So at best they're looking at the 3rd best guy, and who that 3rd best guy is in this class pretty much is anyone's guess because there is no clear cut 3rd. The closest to clear cut 3rd is probably Jayden Daniels, and the team that holds the 3rd pick in this year's draft is going to want a pretty penny to part with that pick as that team also is in dire need of a legit QB. So that leaves KAM with the choice of what, trading away valuable draft capital to move up to at best #4 where he can then take what couldn't be better than a wild swing at who, of the QBs left on the board, is going to evolve into that game-changing QB we'd all like to see them take. Who is that guy? They, you or I could talk ourselves into any one of McCarthy, Nix or Penix or maybe even someone else, but who is it? It won't be one of the guys who made it past the first 3 picks if you ask any of the GMs of the teams that picked those players.

It's just maddening to think about because the more you think about it the more convinced you become that such a move up is fool's gold and the team has as much a chance of hitting on a winner at QB sitting at 11 or even 23 in this draft as moving aggressively up for a guy who isn't any better odds.

KAM's whole schtik when he was hired as GM was his supposed analytic chops. I think given the above realities this draft will clearly demonstrate whether those skills are just a bunch of oversold hype or actually present and KAM has some rational basis behind the moves he makes. The rational move is to sit at 11 and take the BPA there, and I would go farther and say the BPA even if that player is not a QB. If he really wants a QB he feels is not worth 11 but is worth, say, 17, then he can package his 23rd and something else to move up to get that guy.

That would be the rational move where the risk justifies the reward and that is what every GM should be doing to make their overall team better in every draft IMHO.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

For those who have not yet overdosed on YouTube videos and mock drafts and the rest, here is Joel Klatt rating the top 5 (or 6) quarterbacks in the draft. I skipped the first 4 and started the video where he does JJ McCarthy, partly because I'd like the Vikings to draft him and partly because the first 3 will almost certainly be gone before the Vikings have a chance at them. He has Penix ahead of McCarthy but thinks it's more likely McCarthy gets drafted before Penix.

(I may have posted a Joel Klatt video a few pages/weeks ago, but this is new, from today)

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Dakotavike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:47 pm I'm gonna chime in here with my two cents. I don't know the X's and O's of football that most of you do. So I'm not gonna get into which players I like/don't like because I honestly have no idea. But I don't really understand the "don't trade up" philosophy some of you have. I just want the Vikes to get 'their guy'. That may mean we have to trade up. Fine, do it. Or that may mean we can stay at 11 and 23 and get Penix. Even better, do it. All I know is this franchise has never drafted a QB in the top 10 and look how that's panned out. And this is the first time in a long time we have the draft capital to go up and get their guy if need be. In my humble opinion getting a true, game changing QB is paramount and everything else comes secondary. So do whatever it takes (within reason of course) and get him. Sure, you can win some games without one. But we'll be stuck in the same purgatory we've been in forever. And sure, whatever QB we get may be a bust. But we HAVE to at least try!!! My biggest fear in this draft is KAM misses out on whoever KOC deems 'the guy' because he's playing moneyball. I'd rather them swing and miss then not swing at all.
Isn't a team using it's first pick in the draft taking a swing?