2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:38 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:48 pm Another take on some possible future Vikings QBs by Kurt Warner:

Drake Maye - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79DSxztUEQ

Bo Nix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4IbevSgO8

Michael Penix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCc6K46ROg
I think it will be Penix. He has the most experience and is the most ready pick and play guy for this year. Upside is limited.
The thing that just jumps off the tape with Penix is the speed of his delivery. He barely looks like he's winding up and the ball is out and on a rope pretty much anywhere on the field, even when he's under pressure. I can't recall seeing another QB who had the same ability to deliver the ball so quickly and accurately.

Also, one other thing that stands out in watching his various draft reviews is how crappy his offensive line was. Penix was under a lot of duress generally and I thought he handled it pretty well for the most part. He isn't the escape artist that guys like Williams or Daniels were last year, but he didn't need to be because he used his arm to counter the pressure and was effective enough doing that to put a pretty so-so offensive unit overall on his back and get to the national title game.

Maybe his upside is limited, although based on Warner's take it seems like he can still clean some things up (like footwork) and get better.

Honestly, I'd be really excited if Penix ends up being taken by the Vikings. I think he is one of the two potential 1st round QBs (the other being Nix) who would have a legit chance of winning the starting job right away. Penix in particular is going to threaten all areas of the field every time he drops back, too. Defensive coordinators will no longer be able to cheat coverage up on any down. Penix will eat that alive by going over the top.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:03 am
I think it will be Penix. He has the most experience and is the most ready pick and play guy for this year. Upside is limited.
The thing that just jumps off the tape with Penix is the speed of his delivery. He barely looks like he's winding up and the ball is out and on a rope pretty much anywhere on the field, even when he's under pressure. I can't recall seeing another QB who had the same ability to deliver the ball so quickly and accurately.

Also, one other thing that stands out in watching his various draft reviews is how crappy his offensive line was. Penix was under a lot of duress generally and I thought he handled it pretty well for the most part. He isn't the escape artist that guys like Williams or Daniels were last year, but he didn't need to be because he used his arm to counter the pressure and was effective enough doing that to put a pretty so-so offensive unit overall on his back and get to the national title game.

Maybe his upside is limited, although based on Warner's take it seems like he can still clean some things up (like footwork) and get better.

Honestly, I'd be really excited if Penix ends up being taken by the Vikings. I think he is one of the two potential 1st round QBs (the other being Nix) who would have a legit chance of winning the starting job right away. Penix in particular is going to threaten all areas of the field every time he drops back, too. Defensive coordinators will no longer be able to cheat coverage up on any down. Penix will eat that alive by going over the top.
https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... 13806/amp/

He can spin it no doubt. He comes with a lot of If’s. Health issues are too big to not come into play. What he was asked to do in college was simple. He gets questioned plenty about pre snap abilities as he wasn’t asked to do much outside of look off safety’s and go to his first read on a givin play. He didn’t work much of any play action and was out of shotgun or pistol formations most all the time. He has a cannon for an arm and some intriguing attributes. He seems to be intelligent enough with a GPA of 3.9 and a degree in sports marketing. Not sure I would know what to do if I was making the decision based on my eye test and the information I have available to me. This is what the scouts and coaches do day and day out, study and work with players. I will leave it to them. I am just ecstatic to be rid of Kirk Cousins!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The 2024 NFL Draft could be loaded with several talented quarterbacks. https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/who-a ... -nfl-draft
CRISSY FROYDMAR 22, 2023 9:45 AM EDT
This is a before the season 2023 ranking.
1. Caleb Williams, USC.
2. Drake Maye, UNC.
3. Michael Pratt, Tulane.
4. Jordan Travis, Florida State.
5. Bo Nix, Oregon.
6. Michael Penix Jr., Washington.
7. JJ McCarthy, Michigan.
8. Sam Hartman, Notre Dame.
9. Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina.
10. Jayden Daniels, LSU.
You notice who remained at the top of the board after this season? Those 2 are clearly above the rest of the pack. That's the money picks. Pratt, Travis and Hartman have falling down the draft board in a big way. McCall will give it one last college try some place else. Daniels is this years rocket riser. I've seen him mocked to 1.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Alaskan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:18 pm

He can spin it no doubt. He comes with a lot of If’s. Health issues are too big to not come into play. What he was asked to do in college was simple. He gets questioned plenty about pre snap abilities as he wasn’t asked to do much outside of look off safety’s and go to his first read on a givin play. He didn’t work much of any play action and was out of shotgun or pistol formations most all the time. He has a cannon for an arm and some intriguing attributes. He seems to be intelligent enough with a GPA of 3.9 and a degree in sports marketing. Not sure I would know what to do if I was making the decision based on my eye test and the information I have available to me. This is what the scouts and coaches do day and day out, study and work with players. I will leave it to them. I am just ecstatic to be rid of Kirk Cousins!!
I not ecstatic at all by letting a good QB walk out the door. That $hit show last year was unwatchable. And if anyone thinks these top 6 are all going to be better than Cousins forget it. I've seen this drill many times.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:56 pm The 2024 NFL Draft could be loaded with several talented quarterbacks. https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/who-a ... -nfl-draft
1. Caleb Williams, USC.
2. Drake Maye, UNC.
5. Bo Nix, Oregon.
10. Jayden Daniels, LSU.
You notice who remained at the top of the board after this season? Those 2 are clearly above the rest of the pack. That's the money picks. Pratt, Travis and Hartman have falling down the draft board in a big way. McCall will give it one last college try some place else. Daniels is this years rocket riser. I've seen him mocked to 1.
Interesting ranking. It also illustrates how just one more year of data points can affect how a prospect is perceived, and in this case it is another year of college production. The jump to the pros is far more dramatic.

Daniels made the huge leap up due mostly to the running display he put on. Personally, I don't think he's going to be doing a lot of running in the pros, at least not for very long. He's dynamic but he's not that big and he's unwilling to just take the yards he's given - he tries to juke his way to more. He's going to take some big hits in the pros that will scramble him unless he gets great coaching and even if he does odds are that as a pure passer he's a lot closer to around the 10th best prospect in this class than one of the top 3. But people love to draw lines between prospects and I think someone is going to convince themselves Daniels is the next Lamar Jackson. Good for them. I just hope that someone isn't KAM.

One other item of note is the relative position of Nix, Penix and McCarthy in this list. All of them continue to occupy that middle area even after a really successful final year of college. Not sure what that says other than they are all prospects who have good potential to go along with some real questions that weren't answered in their final college season.

And for Pratt and Travis who dropped down that list the question is what was behind that drop? Were there any factors in that final year of college that can explain it and if so, are they something that won't materially affect their ability to produce as pros? Hard to say as I haven't looked at either of them in any detail, but maybe one, or both, might be a steal in a later round.

Good GMs figure this stuff out. I think when all is said and done Williams and Maye will come off the board 1 and 2 respectively. After that I expect New England to do everything it can to hype up Daniels and hope they can find a team willing to come up and take the bait, but if not they'll take Daniels. And then all bets are off. I see so many mocks with the Vikings moving up to anywhere between 4-7 to take McCarthy. It's almost always McCarthy, mostly because in those mocks he's the "best of what's left" and for some reason everyone creating these mocks seems to believe he's a perfect fit with KOC. Not sure why that connection is made with McCarthy and not a guy like Bo Nix, but it is what it is. Should KAM resist the temptation to take the bait and there is no Vikings trade up by the time selection 8 comes up I expect KAM will have decided to stay at 11. I expect KAM to take a QB there and I expect his choices to be a minimum of either Bo Nix or Michael Penix.

I'd say the chances of KAM trading up to between 4-7 is about 50%. I'd put the chances of the Vikings taking one of McCarthy, Nix or Penix at over 90%.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Alaskan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:18 pm I am just ecstatic to be rid of Kirk Cousins!!
I'm happy the Vikings finally are going in a different direction too. Granted, it sounds like they wanted to keep going with Cousins and it was Cousins who made the decision for them, but the end result is KAM and KOC got their security blanket pulled away and have to actually figure out a viable path forward on their own.

This could either be a great thing for all concerned or a disaster. Cousins was good but he was never great, so at least now they have a chance to reach for someone who has the potential to be great. I just wish they were able to make their move under less pressure. On the bright side, it's a good QB class coming out, so the odds of finding the right guy are higher than they might be in other years.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I love the way you think. :govikes: :thumbsup:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:40 pm
Alaskan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:18 pm

I not ecstatic at all by letting a good QB walk out the door. That $hit show last year was unwatchable. And if anyone thinks these top 6 are all going to be better than Cousins forget it. I've seen this drill many times.
Cousins is very good. We've got maybe a 20% chance of drafting somebody as good and a 10% chance of getting someone even better. The thing is we couldn't afford him any more. Maybe if we had accepted him offering us two more years at 37.5 Million when it was on the table.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:46 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:56 pm The 2024 NFL Draft could be loaded with several talented quarterbacks. https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/who-a ... -nfl-draft
1. Caleb Williams, USC.
2. Drake Maye, UNC.
5. Bo Nix, Oregon.
10. Jayden Daniels, LSU.
Interesting ranking. It also illustrates how just one more year of data points can affect how a prospect is perceived, and in this case it is another year of college production. The jump to the pros is far more dramatic.

Daniels made the huge leap up due mostly to the running display he put on. Personally, I don't think he's going to be doing a lot of running in the pros, at least not for very long. He's dynamic but he's not that big and he's unwilling to just take the yards he's given - he tries to juke his way to more. He's going to take some big hits in the pros that will scramble him unless he gets great coaching and even if he does odds are that as a pure passer he's a lot closer to around the 10th best prospect in this class than one of the top 3. But people love to draw lines between prospects and I think someone is going to convince themselves Daniels is the next Lamar Jackson. Good for them. I just hope that someone isn't KAM.

One other item of note is the relative position of Nix, Penix and McCarthy in this list. All of them continue to occupy that middle area even after a really successful final year of college. Not sure what that says other than they are all prospects who have good potential to go along with some real questions that weren't answered in their final college season.

And for Pratt and Travis who dropped down that list the question is what was behind that drop? Were there any factors in that final year of college that can explain it and if so, are they something that won't materially affect their ability to produce as pros? Hard to say as I haven't looked at either of them in any detail, but maybe one, or both, might be a steal in a later round.

Good GMs figure this stuff out. I think when all is said and done Williams and Maye will come off the board 1 and 2 respectively. After that I expect New England to do everything it can to hype up Daniels and hope they can find a team willing to come up and take the bait, but if not they'll take Daniels. And then all bets are off. I see so many mocks with the Vikings moving up to anywhere between 4-7 to take McCarthy. It's almost always McCarthy, mostly because in those mocks he's the "best of what's left" and for some reason everyone creating these mocks seems to believe he's a perfect fit with KOC. Not sure why that connection is made with McCarthy and not a guy like Bo Nix, but it is what it is. Should KAM resist the temptation to take the bait and there is no Vikings trade up by the time selection 8 comes up I expect KAM will have decided to stay at 11. I expect KAM to take a QB there and I expect his choices to be a minimum of either Bo Nix or Michael Penix.

I'd say the chances of KAM trading up to between 4-7 is about 50%. I'd put the chances of the Vikings taking one of McCarthy, Nix or Penix at over 90%.
Exceptional analysis except for Maye top 2. I believe the talk of him sliding in the draft is real and he could be there for the taking at 11 if we so desire. It would surprise me, but certainly wouldn't shock me.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:33 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:40 pm
Cousins is very good. We've got maybe a 20% chance of drafting somebody as good and a 10% chance of getting someone even better. The thing is we couldn't afford him any more. Maybe if we had accepted him offering us two more years at 37.5 Million when it was on the table.
Baseless nonsense. 1 career playoff win in 5 tries. All pro level players at all skill positions and both tackle positions and still can’t get it done. For the kind of money he is demanding he needs to elevate the entire offense with lesser talent because they can’t afford to pay them all when he is eating up more cap than he is worth. He cannot lead, people don’t follow him. He does not have that “it” factor. I have never disliked a Viking as much as I have Kirk Cousins. I thought very little of him in Washington and when the Vikings signed him I lost interest in them. I knew they would go nowhere with him. And they didn’t.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Penix's injury history concerns me some. Granted it's football and an injury to any player can happen at any time, and derail a career.

Jeff George had a cannon arm too. You need to have more than a cannon to be a great nfl qb. The middle matters a lot.

I am mixed on Penix. I'd go him over Nix though. Just imho based on what I saw across their entire collegiate careers.

Ultimately this is the reason we hired koc. So he gets the chance to see if the hire was a good choice now.

My only, please no, is don't mortgage the future completely for their second, third, fourth, etc choice.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Alaskan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:47 pm
Baseless nonsense. 1 career playoff win in 5 tries. All pro level players at all skill positions and both tackle positions and still can’t get it done. For the kind of money he is demanding he needs to elevate the entire offense with lesser talent because they can’t afford to pay them all when he is eating up more cap than he is worth. He cannot lead, people don’t follow him. He does not have that “it” factor. I have never disliked a Viking as much as I have Kirk Cousins. I thought very little of him in Washington and when the Vikings signed him I lost interest in them. I knew they would go nowhere with him. And they didn’t.
You don't like Cousins so you ignore the facts of how good he has been Top 5 to 10 QB over his tenure here. Stats prove it. Wins/Losses are not a QB stat. They're a team stat. Cousins did have that IT factor. He lead. People followed him. Unfortunately the year we could have gone all the way Cousins got injured. You will disagree with everything I say and I will disagree with everything you say, but I have the facts/stats on my side.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

He lead the worst defense we ever had to the playoffs. We got beat and of course that was his fault. Our defense never stopped that stiff Jones. Blame Cousins all you want. I have never seen a QB lead a team to the Super Bowl with a stiff team. Mahomes has that IT factor. Won last years championship game 17-10. That's the "IT" factor I guess. The IT is called playing D. Two years ago he won a SB and thanks to the IT factor his D scored a TD and his special teams set them up at the 5 yard line with a great return. It's a team effort. We haven't had a good team since 2009. The HOF QB Farve lost that one. Again no "IT" factor. The IT factor is baseless and a pipe dream. Stafford was the biggest loser ever and then bang Super Bowl win. Another IT factor I guess. Saying a team will go nowhere is easy. The Giants are going nowhere because the team sucks. We would go nowhere with Mahomes. He's the best with the IT factor. The rest of the team sucks. I do think old man Cousins with a career threatening injury just signed a big contract. But you clam he's horrible.
Last edited by CharVike on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:37 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:46 pm

Exceptional analysis except for Maye top 2. I believe the talk of him sliding in the draft is real and he could be there for the taking at 11 if we so desire. It would surprise me, but certainly wouldn't shock me.
He could slide. I saw Marino and Rodgers slide. IMO he's the best in this draft. However we are only reading the media. Who knows how he did at his individual meetings. Maybe he failed the test they all give. Maybe he has some things in his background that raises questions for some teams. None of us know this stuff. Maye has great physical skills. That's one reason why he is at the top. Can he read a defense? I have no idea. But teams will ask questions to determine that. I liked Kyle Trask who went in rd 2 I think and he's nothing. Mac Jones a total stiff and I liked him. I liked Levis. Who knows. That's zero for 3. They weren't top 5 talent though. Jones was drafted No 1 on some mocks. He fooled many including Bill Belichick. The later slot guys including Jones slot 15 I think it becomes more of a stretch. We have never got in front of the pile of 2nd tier QBs. It's time for a change. Maybe the result will be different for a change.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

You must’ve thoroughly enjoyed tuning in to watch the team deteriorate after Cousins went out last year. Teams with good management protect the present WHILE building the future. Kwesi was/is incapable of doing that.