2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

2024 NFL Draft

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I believe it's time to have a thread exclusively for the draft. I just completed a draft utilizing the PFN draft simulator. I made several trade backs. My first pick was at 27. This is what I ended up with.

27: Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
41: Michael Penix QB Washington
42: Chop Robinson Edge Missouri
104 Mike Sainristil CB Michigan
108 Jaheim Bell TE Florida State
129 Emani Bailey RB TCU
155 Luke McCaffrey WR Rice
165 Kenny Logan Jr S Kansas
178 Will Putnam C Clemson

I also got 2025 2nd round pick from Indy and 2025 3rd round pick from GB
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:44 pm I believe it's time to have a thread exclusively for the draft. I just completed a draft utilizing the PFN draft simulator. I made several trade backs. My first pick was at 27. This is what I ended up with.

129 Emani Bailey RB TCU

Where do you see Newton playing in a 3-4? He had 102 QB pressures last 2 season next closest was at 72. He's undersized and relies on quickness. Looks like an under tackle for a 4-3. I'd prefer a bigger man that eats up blockers at NT. But I like size. But if he's just used to pass rush that don't matter. Who was at 11 before the trade down? Was Fields I mean Daniels still there? No next years 1st rounder for dropping that far down? Chop is interesting. 9 players plus a few for next year is good. Hopefully they get 3 or 4 starters this year from this. It could happen. I think Putnam also played G in college.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I wanted to try this out with zero trades:

11. Dallas Turner (edge) Alabama
42. Michael Penix Jr. (QB) Washington
108. Jamari Thrash (WR) Lousville
129. Sataoa Laumea (OT) Utah
155. Justin Eboigbe (DT) Alabama
165. MarShawn Lloyd (RB) USC
178. Drake Nugent (OC) Michigan
227. Omar Speights (LB) LSU
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:46 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:44 pm I believe it's time to have a thread exclusively for the draft. I just completed a draft utilizing the PFN draft simulator. I made several trade backs. My first pick was at 27. This is what I ended up with.

129 Emani Bailey RB TCU

Where do you see Newton playing in a 3-4? He had 102 QB pressures last 2 season next closest was at 72. He's undersized and relies on quickness. Looks like an under tackle for a 4-3. I'd prefer a bigger man that eats up blockers at NT. But I like size. But if he's just used to pass rush that don't matter. Who was at 11 before the trade down? Was Fields I mean Daniels still there? No next years 1st rounder for dropping that far down? Chop is interesting. 9 players plus a few for next year is good. Hopefully they get 3 or 4 starters this year from this. It could happen. I think Putnam also played G in college.
What would you think about Tvondre Sweat. Seems like he's who you want. I could have taken him at 42 and got both him and Newton.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

cmoss84 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:22 pm I wanted to try this out with zero trades:

I prefer mine as I prefer Chop and Newton combo to Turner alone and I like getting the 2nd and 3rd round picks next year.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:12 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:46 pm
What would you think about Tvondre Sweat. Seems like he's who you want. I could have taken him at 42 and got both him and Newton.
362 ILBs will tie up a few blockers in the middle so of course I'd take him. Perhaps another Jerry Ball type. No running for daylight with that human wall in front of you. Plus I like his nickname "Loaf". Nicknamed “Loaf” — short for “Meatloaf” — he's played over 60 games for the Texas Longhorns. He even caught a TD pass as a TE. Newton and Loaf would be great together. Sounds to easy so I expect another shot at a safety. Worry about the LOS battle at a later date and time.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Michael Pratt QB Tulane. The reports on him are all over the board. But the guy was a 4 year starter so he has experience. I watched his highlights and he made some nice throws into gaps. Even dropping a few in between the safety and CB along the sideline. I thought he threw the ball well but some reports say he lacks arm strength. Plus I like his size. He's a thick body athlete. Better than some beanpole. They say day 3 pick. Maybe they will look at him later on.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Are your guys Penix pick due to; you like him or other options gone?

You both did the same at that spot, so curious.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Here is an interesting safety prospect Cole Bishop Utah. Came in as a true freshman and started. They say his instincts and football IQ are great. Always studying film. He's 6'2" 207 and comes up to the LOS and helps with the run and blitzes. The guy gets sacks, tackles for lose and rushes on special teams. He is a very good ball tracker.
This year he registered 60 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two interceptions, three pass breakups, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries. This guy wants to make it and has shown he will put the extra time in. That's all you can ask for.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

cmoss84 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:22 pm I wanted to try this out with zero trades:

Penix gets hurt every year. Don't you think that will continue or was it bad luck? I'd prefer a safer pick at 42.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

makila wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:14 pm Are your guys Penix pick due to; you like him or other options gone?

I would have preferred Williams, Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy, but they were all gone so yes other options gone.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:58 pm

Penix gets hurt every year. Don't you think that will continue or was it bad luck? I'd prefer a safer pick at 42.
He managed to stay healthy enough to lead his team to the National Championship Game. That's good enough for me.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's another Mock using PFN. Traded back got
15 McCarthy. (I really don't want to take him at 11. I'm almost certain we can trade back at least a bit and still get him)
46 Chop Robinson
50 T'Vondre Sweat
97 Josh Newton CB TCU
109 Jaheim Bell TE FSU
129 Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
165 Beaux Limmer Center Arkansas
178 Jawhar Jordan RB Louisville.

I think this draft is realistic and very good for the Vikings.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:55 pm
makila wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:14 pm Are your guys Penix pick due to; you like him or other options gone?

I would have preferred Williams, Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy, but they were all gone so yes other options gone.
Yeah, I'm running into the same thing in both simulations and in looking at most mocks. The top guys are off the board by #11, but it's generally too early to take any of the 2nd tier QB prospects and the value at other areas of need on the team is just too good to pass up for the most part. I mean, if KAM holds at #11 he's almost certainly going to have impact prospects at DE and CB there for the taking, and that, along with his recent experience in passing up such players and trading back for, well, NOT such players, should still be fresh in his memory.

I know the Vikings "need" to find a young QB, and that is going to weigh heavily as the draft approaches, but KAM can't afford to reach for a guy who doesn't merit the spot (in other words, avoid the "Ponder Pitfall"), while at the same time not moving back just to make a pick on a guy KOC and he aren't sold on just because they have that perceived immediate "need" (I'll call that the "Booth Botch").

I personally would love to see KAM get either Verse or Laitu in the 1st and Sweat in the 2nd. Add proven production at edge and in the interior of the defensive line. Sweat is a slight gamble as he struggles a bit with conditioning but I think a guy like Flores can get him fully on board, and I love the versatility and disruptiveness adding a guy like Verse would bring to the pass rush. Laitu is just a productive player, and assuming his injury history checks out, he might end up being the best overall defensive end taken in this year's draft when all is said-and-done, so I'd be good with him as well.

I'd love to see KAM work his way back into the 3rd this year, but if it doesn't happen I'm OK with that as long he doesn't reach or fail to get value with a trade back.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Time to get aggressive at qb, even if Kirk gets resigned. I personally think they target Daniels, if the rumours are true that Viking tried desperately to trade for Richardson then Daniels is the closest qb to him in the current draft. Can the Vikings make a reasonable trade to get Daniels will be the question. But they gotta do something, we need to take a qb high we are in on and I don’t think the 2nd tier of QBs are going to do it.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson